Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

PittTheElder posted:

I want it for the vain hope that they'll fix the loving map projection. That is not where the Americas are :colbert:

Clearly they should pick a period-accurate projection from the region you play in

I am unreasonably irked by Anbennar's perfectly circular exploding elf crater for two contradictory reasons. One, craters aren't perfect circles. Two, perfect circles do not (generally) project as such on a map. In conclusion, elves have no sense of geometry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

It's always hard to find youtube EU4 videos on a sensible point on the spectrum between "50 hours of archived twitch stream, edits are for cowards" and "cut down to 20 minutes covered in memetic imagery".

On the less-edited side of that spectrum, I like Poiuymew's Anbennar stuff well enough, it was helpful when I was trying to learn the mod last year. They're still quite long, he basically just edits out some pauses from a regular playthrough. No webcam or twitch chat, he plays at what I think is a good level of fast-and-loose for video content and he's pretty good at the talking over gameplay part.

It's possible my habit of watching youtube videos at 2x speed impacts my opinion somewhat.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

So devving up provinces to spawn institutions... what do you guys think that's meant to simulate?

"Hey René, thanks for checking in when I know you're busy with all the philosophizing. You might think Stockholm is, like, small and insignificant but we've been building some real poo poo up here recently. A nice university, a big stonking palace, y'know, top-tier, continental stuff. I hear we're on 8th on Early Modern Vogue's list of Greatest Powers. Why don't you come up north, check it out, maybe teach the princess a little ... Global Trade? You definitely won't die of pneumonia, no shot."

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Hopefully someone at PDS is working on the inevitable blazon-to-flag AI. Can't be that hard with modern natural language processors, blazons are practically a programming language already.

Whether or not writing your own blazon in English -- or whatever you want to call the language used for blazons by people who normally speak English -- is as user-friendly as other flag generating methods may potentially be debated.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Poil posted:

The state is having an affair?!

As the great statesman Governor William J Le Pétomane once said: the affairs of state must take precedence over the affairs of state. Although I suppose in this case they're one and the same.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

One thing about Chaingrasper is that the tree really expects Dak to become a lich, but the lich transformation has at best I think a 10% chance to kill you outright? You can continue with another lich if Dak dies, the mission tree will work, but everything will be just a little weird if you form the Dakocracy with Bort Chaingrasper instead.

I really recommend just save scumming or restarting until the transformation succeeds and Dak lives.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

The military one is just much harder to get than the other two.

Only because you're running an inefficient, meat-based army. A proper skeleton horde hits a million in the 1500s, no sweat. Not, uh, that skeleton hordes otherwise sweat.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I like that there's some fixed elements to trade. Partly because heterogenous terrain makes for varied gameplay, partly for verisimilitude -- the westerlies and trade winds are there, and were pretty important for how sail routes worked. You can't run the Atlantic triangular trade backwards at the same cost without first spinning the planet in the other direction.

100% fixed trade routes where everything terminates in Amsterdam or London still aren't great, and figuring out which of the five billion available modifiers and bonuses to trade power, provincial trade value, mercantilism, trade efficiency, trade steering, caravan power and privateering are the important ones is almost malevolently complicated.

It is very hard to make the current system dynamic without introducing fun bugs like cycles in the graph that generate infinite money. I guess the obvious way is to switch from abstract value being generated, transferred or consumed in a fixed path to a supply/demand system with sinks and sources for individual goods that then travel in some dynamic, max flow way along the graph ... but that's unlikely to be less complicated.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

YYYY-MM-DD is the ISO date format standard, so it tends to crop up when string locales end up in some default. It's unlikely that PDS would intentionally use the US's extremely confusing MM/DD/YYYY format, but it may well appear in localized strings if you're in the US.

It's not surprising that the games don't have a consistent locale for UI vs save games vs other things because locales are a goddamn pain.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Laith is good at what he does, but what he does absolutely includes the entire tell-don't-show loop of "okay now we're going to do X > cut to later > "we did X!" that most of the popular mapgame youtubers do in order to keep their videos on an algorithmically approved pace. He or whoever does his edits generally doesn't edit in image memes and reaction zoom shots so that's nice, but if you want to learn the game then I think it's pretty hard to get much out of it. Most of the assorted small decisions that constitute the actual gameplay get cut out in the name of expediency.

I don't have any great alternatives, though. EU4 is a slow game, so when someone records themselves playing it then the resulting video is either going to be very long or it's going to skip a bunch of stuff. So it goes, pick your poison.

Personally I'd rather have a slower pace video that I can run in the background over something overly edited so I've been watching Poiuymew's more recent Anbennar stuff when I really need to see someone reasonably personable and competent paint maps. His videos are very lightly edited with just the occasional dead air or long downtime getting cut ... which means each series is a 5-10 hour playlist, even with Poiu being a pretty quick-and-sloppy player. That's probably more map painting than most people want to watch. He streamed the very ridiculous "one tag world conquest as the town crier-themed free city" achievement over the last couple months: the playthrough is ~70 hours long. I've had it running in the background for a few weeks now. It's definitely more map painting than most people want to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I know they did the province vs location post earlier and talked about how they've borrowed from Vicky 3's subdividable states to be able to have 30 000 locations for you to lovingly click but

geez that's a lot of granularity. Even with the well known Paradox Sweden bias. Hopefully Catalonia is equally showered with love.