Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's not like the earlier mercenary system was great either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Have you played Imperator Rome? That is literally a big mechanic in that game.

I found it mostly more annoying than anything else. Sure, it encouraged you to have lots of generals with smaller stacks, but that just leads to more micro with your armies. I am bad at any sort of warfare that isn't 'get more men, don't fight on bad terrain'.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah, yes, Prussian North Germany. That makes sense.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like playing in Africa because I like the weird alt history scenarios EU can provide and I like the idea of Africans pre-emptively stopping colonialism in its tracks.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well if it's on your continent you're just a conquering rear end in a top hat and not a colonizing rear end in a top hat.

But yes you either die a hero or blah blah.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I got really lucky in my newest England game. I surrendered Maine up without a fight, got a decent heir about a couple months before the War of the Roses fired, and then France lost a war with Savoy who decided to both give me back Maine and break Orleans from French control, allowing for an easy conquest. I could probably even take France right now. Man, why doesn't this ever happen in Ironman?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

skasion posted:

AI will switch to domineering attitude if they get a personal union CB on you, which missions mean can sometimes happen even if they’ve been completely buddy-buddy with you up till then

Yeah I lot several alliances due to hitting the 'introduce heir' button.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well, it's playable, so it's already better than it was when Leviathan launched.

As is, there are still some problems (Galleys are inordinately powerful, concentrating dev from your vassals is inordinately powerful, most new world natives are ahistorically strong). The patch on the 11th promises to fix some of them

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Got it thanks, it's WAI then. So in other words there's almost no point into introducing heir whatsoever.
Speaking of someone currently dealing with a legitimacy 20 ruler because my last one died with no heir, it has its uses, but yes, losing alliances because of it sucks.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, that is almost certainly an obvious bait post.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah CK2 gives you, like, literal months to perform Passover, it's kind of funny.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Among Us, Jojo, Star Trek, and Star Wars references. Paradox is branching out.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well that's an impressive bug-fix.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Why is it that every time Paradox tries to make a unique government for nomadic hordes they end up making them stupidly overpowered? Between this and CK2 I think someone on the team just really like Genghis Khan.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

99% of the time, it's because you had a royal marriage with them (because you already had an alliance with them so it costs nothing) and you introduced a new heir. They wanted the ability to get your country in a PU and that did not happen, so they're annoyed.

Of course I'm not sure if it's realistic for it to be 'break your alliance because we can totally take someone with 10 times the troops' levels of annoyed, but eh. Paradox AI.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

One day gamers will stop getting irrationally mad at mobile games. One day.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

Civ 6 is bad but it looking vaguely like a mobile game isn't anywhere near why, you're both being weirdos :psyduck:

Civ 6 does have a mobile port, so it is literally a mobile game. I just don't see why that's a problem.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are plenty of Anbennar nations that don't need much EU4 knowledge. Many of them are just so different that very little experience carries over.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only real 'gotcha' about England is that you want the War of the Roses to happen ASAP so you can get rid of your bad ruler. Other than that they are Very Good.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, like, most of the nations in Anbennar are problematic in the same way that Eu4 in general is problematic, and the real bad ones (especially Aelnar) get treated as the horrible thing they are (Eordand's tree specifically refers to Aelnar as the worst of the colonizer states, Aelnar fails horribly in 'canon' because of how bad its system is, etc.)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You say that but I have been in many a war as a landlocked nation where I cannot assist my allies because of a lack of mil access.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Yep. This game takes somewhat simulationist approach. It's not a wargame where every side has at least some challenge or 4X where there's as clear winner. As most countries surviving and eventually becoming a great power is not hard at all. And even you take a challenging country with a powerful neighbour who hates you (like Byzantium or Novgorod or Granada) after the first 50 centuries you'll either be dead or safe. The challenge comes from setting goals or achievements. England is relatively safe but try to, say, get to the borders of British Empire ahead of schedule. Complete mission tree. Destroy France. Make Rome Anglican.

If you look for the same type of challenge you usually get in zero-sum strategy games then EU4 is not the best game for that.

I mean if they can survive for 5000 years starting from 1444 they're in stellaris.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eordand is cool.

Winter Court is best court.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Watching Lorent die is one of the great pleasures of Anbennar, alongside watching Gawead die, and watching Wex die, and watching The Command die...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

For your next country, I suggest one from the East Indies super-region. There's a good spread of cultures and religions so conquest starting to threaten too high Aggressive Expansion in one direction can be shifted to another direction to let it calm down rather than sitting on your hands. Ayutthaya is an especially strong choice since they are tributary to Ming and thus safe from being attacked from non-tributarian countries near them as well as having an already strong military. You will also learn how to dev-up for Institutions because your tech will fall behind otherwise. (some time after Renaissance/Colonialism/Printing Press hits, choosing your capital or a nearby grassland/farm province, setting state policy to development, maybe getting Burghers loyalty high, and then mashing all your monarch points into the province until the institution is fully realised there).

Ugh I keep forgetting about state policies.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I got to 1525 before colonialism spawned in a converter game and it sucked, yeah.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I recommend anyone trying to avoid disasters not play Anbennar in the first place, honestly, they're the best part.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The legitimate successor is the Blademarches because they have a magic sword that says Castanor sucks and I wouldn't argue with the magic sword.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Good news! There's a CK3 version in-dev that's set in the medieval period for all your anbennaring needs.

And they're planning a Vicky 3 version because why not?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Does tribal land do anything for you on its own?

If you migrate to it the devastation ticks up more slowly so you can stay there longer if you want.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I think I saw in some tooltip somewhere that migrating into another nation’s tribal land makes your tribal development thing tick up faster

It makes the devastation tick up faster, meaning you can't stay there as long.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh. I apparently read that wrong too.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Davincie posted:

Prestige isnt the danger with disinheriting, its that all your allies will change attitude to you if you do, leading to possible broken alliances. If my ruler is young enough that it has no hurry I just make the bad kid a general, they will die pretty quickly

Disinheriting isn't the worry there, it's the 'introduce heir' button that causes problems with people you have a royal marriage with. The worry with disinheriting is that your current monarch dies heirless.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Victoria's system would only work because of how in-depth the preparation and logistics of war is supposed to be. You'd have to have Victoria level economics to make the Victoria system work, and the EU series isn't even remotely close to that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Good news about Vicky 3, then.

I think the EU series is the least focused out of any Paradox grand strategy game except for Imperator. Crusader Kings is about dynasty and family legacy, HoI is obviously a war game, and Vicky is supposed to be about economy. EU is about colonialism and imperialism so it tries to do both internal politics and external politics but it doesn't do either as great as the game that are focused on them do.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Woo Korea buffs!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes I keep trying to play Korea and keep failing so now I will have even less of an excuse.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wrr posted:

I've only ever played CK2 & 3; is it still possible to import a save from the CKs and continue playing with a similar world state in EU, and then the same again for HoI?

Officially, no, there is no CK3 converter to EUIV, and only the CK2 to EUIV converter officially exists.

In the world of mods, though, of course, there's several converters available. Do you want to play from Imperator to HoI4? Well, you can.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mali is...annoying. Like I get the flavor and it's certainly accurate to history but ugh so many rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mali starts in a disaster that you have to clear a bunch of their mission tree to resolve that frequently gives you the choice of 'rebels or bad things happen', like provinces gaining autonomy, estates getting land, or just straight up losing provinces.

As a player it's difficult to find a common ground where you're not just losing money and manpower to the rebels but you aren't just giving in too much either. I can't imagine the aI would handle it at all.