Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I started playing Anbennar this week and it completely revitalized EU4 for me, I hadn't been really into the game for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TorakFade posted:

Got it thanks. is there an equivalent to Portugal or Spain? E.g. decent enough to hold their own in the mainland through friends/position/power, but definitely supposed to not expand that much there and just go ham colonizing the rest of the world? For some odd reason I've always loved EU4 colonization even though it's weird and clunky

Verne is pretty much Spain. The Elves at the very southwestern island (forgot their names) are kind of like Portugal in that they are very much focused on exploring and settling into the new world (or destroyed old world in their case), with eventually outright migrating there.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anbennar friggin' slaps. I think I mentioned before how it revitalized EU4 for me after burning out on the game half a decade ago, but I've bought like three DLCs because of it and I often find myself thinking about what I am going to try out next.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Torrannor posted:

And the Anbennar dev diaries have me much more excited than the Paradox dev diaries.

Same. I mean, they are essentially "here's cool new content" instead of "this is how we're breaking your game next".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

blue squares posted:

Thanks for this post. I was worried my frequent posting might be obnoxious

your posts are literally the main reason why i lurk this thread once a week

edit: also the anbennar posts

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 27, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Going to second Verne as a great learner faction for Anbennar.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Does disabling a region also make it so those provinces are impossible to colonize?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

soviet elsa posted:

Is there a good country to start as in Anbennar that will give you enough of a lore dump to get situated?

It seems really fun, and I get that it's obviously Not-Earth and there's loving dwarves and elves and centaurs and poo poo. I get it. I know all of these things. But every time I start there is so many fantasy names thrown at me at once that I lose my head. The gently caress is a Bulwar?

I would suggest one of the medium to large-sized countries in not-Europe. They are built on relatively familiar tropes and shouldn't have anything too crazy going on in terms of difficulty. Grombar is a very interesting option, as it is a grey orc kingdom that has to figure out between going full orc or integrating its orc aristocratic class with the native humans it recently conquered, which will have you interacting with some of the setting's major historical events and the pop mechanics.

also, just read the likely EU5 dev diary and I am not enthused. I was hoping for a mechanics flush from EU4 to EU5, not "we will try Imperator Rome, but harder". I think a lot of the reason why EU4 works is how boardgamey several of its mechanics are and going full sim feels like playing to PDS' weaknesses as a studio.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 15, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Escann is my favourite part of Anbennar, so much variety in the starts and how the region consolidates in the first century.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I do enjoy playing spawnables because it is like a fresh start a century in, which lets me see more of the mid-late content. Only time I saw the Phoenix Empire form was when the I played the Sun Elf Cortez and the AI finished what I began.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

their metrics told them that people usually stop their games in the mid-late 1600s so they changed the start date to like a hundred years earlier so the game will end in the early 1700s and so people will play all of it

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 21, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Well, if EU5 is built off Imperator it better be an evolution similar to CK2 from Sengoku.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jay Rust posted:

so is victoria 3, any good?

No.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vicky 3 for me is like an Anno game but without all the things that make Anno beautiful and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, sub is easily the best option if you haven't been buying the DLCs as they came out, in which case you've been paying an interminent sub anyway.