Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Europa Universalis IV: Welcome to the greater Ming Sphere
would have been better given the current state of the game.

Probably gonna play a game as Hormuz once the patch is out but not gonna buy this DLC, fix old poo poo before you try to sell me new stuff. Also Military Tradition bar #2 is one of the dumbest features this game has seen.

The Ming Sphere is roughly 20% of the world, which is significant but easy to avoid if you don't want to deal with it (either by playing outside of it or disabling one DLC that came out like a year ago)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Groogy posted:

But how am I going to afford my Ferrari otherwise :(
e: though seriously I think bunch of them are on sale on our paradoxplaza store

second edit: also why is it so quiet, is everything okay with the patch and expansion? :ohdear:

FYI I wanted to browse all of the EU4 expansions, and setting the filters in your store to Europa Universalis and Expansion did that, but it also somehow put a CK2 expansion (Jade Dragon) in that list so I'm guessing that the CK2 expansion is mistagged

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Browsing a little more, it looks like the Jade Dragon page includes a bundle option for Cradle of Civilization, so maybe that's why it got categorized into the EU4 expansion filter (because it has an option that includes an EU4 expansion). So the bug goes away whenever that bundle option ends I guess, if you even want to call it a bug (I guess it is, technically? Maybe?)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

I think I might be experiencing a bug. I took control of the Cape trade node and got a merchant, as expected. But, suddenly, the extra merchant disappeared. I still have a stranglehold on the node and I even tried removing the trade company and re-establishing it. Still no extra merchant.

Could you have lost a merchant somewhere else?

What does your subject screen look like?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Check the subject screen anyway; if you hover over the merchant icon for your trade company it should tell you what's going on

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think it's okay for nations to have difficulty stating a huge number of provinces in the early game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, that's the point I'm trying to make. Why is turning money into manpower fine in one way (mercs) but not in another (paying more state maintenance)?

Trading money for manpower is not always a no brainer. They just added a huge money sink in upgrading advisers, and there are plenty of other things to spend money on beside that.

Mercs have their own cap, to prevent the players from converting all of their gold into manpower. And there's the additional cost of professionalism. So it doesn't seem like a great comparison unless you want the additional states to also contribute to national unrest or something, which would be thematic and interesting

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Once ever in 1500 hours of play has the mercenary cap come into play for me as the player, and very incredibly obviously is not a factor for the AI (see: China having 300 Infantry regiments, 100% being Mercs, or, any late game AI in the middle of losing a war).

I constantly run into the cap. I replace every regiment that I can with a merc, and I tend to play in regions that can take over the spice islands for ridiculous ducat income

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

New Butt Order posted:

New DLC means the old ones are on sale and it's been a long time since I've played. Are there any super important features in Right of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Third Rome? Rights of Man seems pretty major, but can Mandate or Third Rome be skipped if I don't have any interest in playing in Asia or do they have important game-wide features?

Rights of Man is siiiick, rerolling heirs is ridiculously powerful and I really like the ruler/general traits system

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

My bet is that they own a single transport ship and that allows them to skip it because technically they could move their army over ship 1 by 1!

That is not a ZoC rule.

It's more likely that they own a fleet of transport ships (because the AI loves building those)

e: Oh, in the absence of transports I think that I spotted another problem: units can travel from Jabbal Shammar to Al Jawf, then to the mothballed fort north of Ma'an. Units on a ZoC province can always move to an adjacent fort province. From there they can basically go wherever, because that mothballed fort isn't creating a Hostile ZoC. Units invading from that direction could have already been on that side of the gulf, so the 6 units on the other side of the gulf are blocked because they don't have military access through the south

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 21, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You're right, that doesn't work. But I was able to reproduce an earlier theory: if you queue an army to move to Sina while the forts are mothballed, then it'll just disregard the ZOC after the forts are no longer mothballed. So no AI-only fuckery, just the simple fact that the ZOCs along the army's travel route are only being checked when the route is queued, and not as the army moves from province to province.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Poil posted:

So the reason why the AI cheats with forts is because when war is declared they begin their movement before the monthly tick starts up the zones from being mothballed? That would explain a lot.

No; sckye's war was already going, he noted that the AI began moving troops before he decided to unmothball his forts. If his forts hadn't been mothballed when war was declared then everything would have worked normally.

The AI isn't cheating, the ZOC just isn't being checked every time that the army arrives in a new province. The bug only works if you try to move past a mothballed fort that later becomes unmothballed. A player could hypothetically take advantage of the same bug

Also, ZOC ticks are in days; the day after you unmothball a fort a ZOC appears.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, in general cavalry are also just plain better than infantry at combat, so it doesn't hurt to have more than just 4 even if your flanking bonus won't put more than 4 on the outside. You just need to make sure that your main army is your front line and that you bring reinforcements (men) after that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As many as can possibly be afforded, considering how much stronger they are than infantry. Especially if you're a horde.

Like, if you can make your front line 100% cavalry as a horde, you will fight far more effectively than if you just roll in with your 60/40 cav/inf army or whatever. This requires annoying micromanagement, though.

I mean yeah, but no more so than any normal army engagement if you're topping off morale with reinforcement regiments; to fight optimally you always need to bring a whole bunch of additional dudes in separate stacks and smash them into the battle to top off morale. The only difference with bringing more cavalry is that your primary stack fields a higher cavalry:infantry ratio.

Due to the way morale works you basically shouldn't ever bring more than your combat width (admittedly I usually bring +2 infantry over because some people are gonna die in those first days)

This is why I don't pick Quantity if I can avoid it, it means more micromanagement

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I dunno the siege screen could use a lot of sprucing up, that thing is confusing as hell if you don't already know what everything means. The combat screen is a little easier but still not great. These things are explained better and more simply on the wiki than inside the game, which is weird

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Which is kinda irritating, since the measure of war participation seems to be "manpower lost". So if the AI parks huge stacks taking attrition for no reason as the AI tends to do, it drives their participation through the roof.

Sieges actually contribute a lot to war participation, especially victorious sieges, and especially especially victorious sieges that provide a lot of warscore (such as winning a capital siege). Likewise, blockades provide a good amount of war participation, seemingly because of how much warscore they provide

The percentage of your force limit being used in the war also seems to matter, so that a small nation moving 10k troops around can have the same participation as a big nation moving 100k troops around.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Another Person posted:

It also puts you in oh poo poo mode, because of call to peace. It isn't worth doing any more, at all.

Also the AI will just buy the worst of the WE down. If you stackwipe their army early on, when it is still large, they still get 50% of that manpower back (this happens with every stackwipe) and for the long waiting time when you have them without an army but occupied, they will be regenerating manpower and they won't be running any real costs. Yeah, they will take some production hits, and institutions might grow a tiny bit slower, but it generally isn't worth that much effort for that little payoff.

Further, the only nations which really warrant that sort of extreme thinking are historically large nations which are what would normally be lucky nations ingame. This means that they get -1interest per annum, so even if you do somehow manage to make them run additional costs on top of their full occupation so they lose money, the loans won't really be felt because AI nations usually take admin or econ (or both) idea groups over the course of the game. You probably won't be driving them to bankruptcy through occuputation because of this being stacked (especially Austria due to one of those groups, luck and their Fugger Banking NI). They also get -1 unrest, as well as stab cost reduction and manpower recovery speed buffs. The impact just won't last unless the AI gets dogpiled repeatedly in your truce.

I think that you're seriously underestimating the effects of devastation. This strategy basically causes the AI to go broke, so that they can't produce a large army despite having manpower, causing the AI neighbors to dogpile in. It works really well for me

It goes without saying that you would only do this against big rivals; it's better to just eat them yourselves, if they're small.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jesus christ that is such a meticulous sequence of things that have to happen

I like converting to Catholic Ottomans, becoming HRE emperor, spawn Coptic zealots and let them run rampant, pass a bunch of reforms, tag switch to England to get all of your provinces removed from the HRE, flip to Coptic, then pass a bunch more reforms for free. ~100 Vassals as Coptic England in 1511. Fuuuuuuuuu

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah the strategy is awesome as hell. You definitely need to know your way around the game to meet that timeline but drat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No. There aren't many situations in the game that are truly restart worthy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oddium posted:

the wise Raja bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between india & germany. you imbecile. you moron"

Nice. That looks like one of the harder ones to pull off

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anywhere that you build a manufactory is probably at least going to have a workshop, and you have a flat 10% bonus to production efficiency by the time that you can even build the farm estate. That's closer to ~10 ducats/year at admin level 6, and increasing substantially as the game goes on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reman I think missed an important detail on Supply Depots; they seem to massively improve reinforcement rates, and they apply to the entire area, not just the province that they're built in. It's common for me to have multiple siege stacks working on forts with 1-2 actual armies sitting right behind them, in order to refill garrisons and avoid needless attrition damage. A supply depot in the area not only refills those stacks faster but can also reduce attrition damage when the siege stack is larger than the supply limit of the province (which happens surprisingly often, but is especially common in the middle east and africa)

Firebatgyro posted:

Professionalism gain is based on the % of your force limit that you are drilling and the final idea in quantity gives your +50% max limit

Its not that big a deal because between events and hiring generals you can max out your professionalism without drilling as long as you don't go too crazy with mercs.

And on the flip side of that now you have the ability to convert professionalism into a ton of manpower. So Quantity makes it harder to build professionalism with drilling, and being able to convert mil points into manpower at will makes the larger manpower pool a little less good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yeah it's diplo mana, not bird mana geeze

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Ally Austria + England, use them to beat up France, then beat up Portugal after while England is still hosed from the war with France. Burgundy can also be handy for this.
Or wait for France to go to war with England, then snag the northern provinces from Portugal while England can't help them.

This is what I did but without allying England; England is known for not helping its allies anyway so gently caress em, Austria is good enough to help you beat up France. Tunnel through France until you reach the HRE, continue taking French and HRE provinces until you're ready to become emperor, then become emperor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There do seem to be a lot fewer tributaries appearing in Western Asia. There are plenty in the regions near Ming, where you'd expect to see them, and the Mandate of Heaven mechanics are still kind of weird, but I think things are basically fine now

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Found out that I'm real bad at Eu4 again

Welcome to the club if you present your membership card at any participating Burger King they'll give you a free crown

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Religious ideas used to be better when Deus Vult was one of the first ideas instead of the last one.

Religious ideas have always been pretty meh, that's why Deus Vult had to be moved to the end of the idea group; too many people were just taking the first idea for the CB and then abandoning the group later.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

double nine posted:

Hmm, as Ethiopia, is my first idea best economics, for that -10% inflation that's slowly suffocating my economy, religious for the sweet sweet CB, or tolerance, because why put money into conversions if you can ignore the divisions and sweet monarch point discount?

Religious isn't that useful for Ethiopia. The CB doesn't benefit you that much because all of the territory is bad, so the AE and diplo costs are pretty low. Furthermore, by mid-game you get tons of missionaries and religious conversion bonuses from other sources (because of your religion, from events, and because you can take various religious centers). So you'd be sinking tons of admin points into a pretty mediocre set of ideas for your country

Economics isn't that useful because the inflation reduction is basically the only idea that truly benefits you, and the bonus is almost inconsequential. The other ideas rely on you having good land, and you just don't (ie +10% production efficiency on a 1/1/1 doesn't count for much). The development cost reduction as a capstone idea is beneficial for those handful of times where you'll need to seed an institution, so it barely takes precedence over Religious if you're dead-set on picking between those two. But that situation is temporary; the idea group becomes completely useless by the mid-game, when you should already be pulling in ridiculous money from the east indies (due to trade income, which doesn't benefit from the Economics modifiers)

Humanism, on the other hand, lets you stop worrying about rebels. This is huge as Ethiopia because your manpower reserves are dogshit and you need to save those bodies for much bigger threats (Mamluks and latter Ottomans). Plus your strategy should be to eventually leech money from the east indies, and Humanism helps with that way more than the others. And like you said, the monarch point discounts are also good, plus having +2 accepted cultures is actually really great and commonly underappreciated. These are all bonuses that start out good and actually get better as the game goes on, whereas the other groups lose their luster (when you're Ethiopia)

Whatever you do, don't pick a Military group for your first idea set; in the early game those points are way more valuable as military tech than as military ideas, and you're already the biggest bully in your region at that point in the game anyway so there's no benefit to picking military ideas so soon. I think you're best off going Exploration -> Humanism -> Defensive, since Exploration lets you lock down the South African node and thereby secures all of the east indian trade income for yourself, but only if you've succeeded in gaining coastal access

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 30, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, I think it may even be the only way? Could be wrong though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah if it's past 1700 on a going-well WC I think you should just charge ahead and eat the penalties

I think

I haven't actually done a WC because I don't like a grind

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Please forgive me if people have already talked about this stuff but SA search sucks and doesn't ever work so whatever, gently caress it

I was browsing Youtube and they recommended "My Experience at the EU4 Grandest LAN 2019", which caught me completely by surprise as I haven't seen or played in EU4 content in over a year. I thought it at least sounded intriguing, like maybe you get a shitload of people to play every little tiny nation and oh poo poo they're playing in a castle???

So I started watching and boy oh boy this looks like an amazing experience that I thought goons would appreciate

Here's their website
https://eu4lan.com/

Apparently attending this grand event cost 540 Euro (plus booking fee), it took place in a castle in Poland and a bunch of people from Paradox would be there. Cool.

Here's the video I watched, it's really just the few first minutes that are worth your time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHNwxaryAAc

Walking into the castle is kind of amazing because you see this huge entryway and then a tiny sign that reads "EUIV LAN PARTY -->" and the camera enters this room with a bunch of nerds dressed in renaissance regalia and it's amazing.

Lord Biscuits glances up from his phone to survey the competition

My son, can I have some of your dorritos?

Hark, fellow members of the HRE, can you not see that pizza rolls are the most superior toaster snack?

Riveting, intense action

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cross-posting from the Stellaris thread:

Right now there's a crazy Paradox build-a-bundle over at Humble; huge discounts on the entire Paradox catalog plus in the bundle you get an additional 80-85% off on top of those. Good time to buy some Paradox-published games if you're interested in trying EU4, Battletech, any of the Shadowrun games, etc. The bundle includes Stellaris but none of the DLCs, but those are still heavily-discounted regardless

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-build-your-own-bundle/?hmb_source=store_home

:siren: Free games for bigger discounts alert: there are numerous games available for the bundle that are like $2-3, but can activate a larger bundle discount and therefore reduce the the total cost of your cart when you add them. So even if you only want 1-2 things, you can actually get an even bigger discount + some free games by just adding cheap things to your cart.

For example: I've added Battletech Mercenary Edition (e.g. base game + season pass), Tyranny, and Surviving Mars. MSRP $185, after bundling discounts: $35. Then I add Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and the cart total becomes $33.50. Then I add Hearts of Iron 3, and the cart total becomes $31.12. I'm getting a $4 discount while getting a free copy of HOI3 and Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Or say that I only wanted Battletech Mercenary Edition, on its own it's $30. Then I add some cheap games, like Majesty 2, HOI3, Age of Wonders, and Crusader Kings Complete. Now the cart costs $19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cool av posted:

I don't see a steady decline tbh, just a bad release. The latest ck2 and ck3 stuff is some of their best yet, imperator started kinda flaky but got better, same with stellaris.

Subscriptions aren't necessarily awful but I have to admit the in-game ads for them sure are.

Yeah; Stellaris was pretty mediocre at launch but right now is a great game. It might have the only espionage system in the 4X genre that isn't completely dogshit? Not a high bar I guess