Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Baconomics posted:

Hormuz starting off with eight provinces is new, right? Didn't it used to start out as an OPM on the island of Hormuz itself or am I going crazy?

It was, should make that hormuz achievement a bit easier to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Groogy posted:

We already have a topic decided for the next dev diary but maybe in the near future.

stats posts are rad and you should do this

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'd like to do an Ideas Guy run. Would any of Third Rome, CoC, or MoH improve the game for me? I have all the older DLCs.

Mandate of Heaven has a few very nice bonuses for each age and absolutism is a good mechanic. Similarly Cradle has a crap-load of new events and mechanics for Muslims and mini-policies you can issue in a single state that give very strong bonuses at the cost of much higher maintenance for that state.

Third Rome would only be useful if you play as a Russian Culture or Orthodox custom nation

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Edicts are in MoH actually

Hah, I bought them both last week guess I got them mixed up

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fat Albert posted:

Anybody got some hot tips for a QQ playthrough with all the recent changes? Most of the advice I’ve found is focused around QQ being a horde, which it now isn’t, and the whole starting situation seems quite different with all the additional provinces and nations.

Humanist seems like it might be an important first idea pick, to deal with the internal chaos?

I’m also considering attempting the rassids, whose situation seems somehow even more precarious, so if anybody’s had success with them I’d also be keen to hear it.

I did a "This is Persia" run starting as QQ just after the new DLC came out and here are some thoughts

1) Economic ideas were insanely helpful at the start, especially the -0.5 Interest idea that lets you borrow a lot more money without crippling your low-income earlygame economy with interest payments. The reductions to building cost, can be combined with the Feudal Theocracy ability (if you have formed Persia) to radically lower building costs and jump start your economy with all those amazing tradegoods, which economic ideas also help you produce more of.

2) Mamluks will almost always rival you (they did to me literally every single time) so an alliance with them is unlikely. Keep your relations with them and Ottomans as high as possible to stop them from adding your territory to their "vital strategic interests" and hope the Ottos take the "Conquer the Levant/Serbia/City of World's Desire" missions before bothering you

3) There are a lot of rich, decent dev provinces in the Persian area and they are split up and usually at each others throats so you should try to unite and form Persia ASAP since their NI's are flat out better in most cases than QQ's

4) Dealing with religious unity is much easier than it was last patch; pre-CoC/MoH I would usually just let Coptic rebels take over and convert most of my lands for me but now it is a lot easier to go full Mysticism and use state decrees to increase Missionary strength. With the advisor, full mysticism, and the decree you get a total of +6% Missionary Strength which is enough to convert basically any province in two or three years. Once you get your religious unity up or have finished converting the highest dev provinces in your lands you should switch over to Legalism for the tech discounts, manpower, and money.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fat Albert posted:

Thank you for the fantastic advice, that is all super helpful to know! Did you take economic ideas first? I had been thinking religious or humanist but it sounds as though they might not be as necessary as I thought.

A lot of guides also suggest releasing Armenia right off the bat - is this still worth doing? Or better to hold on to it?

I did take Econ first, and Religious was the 2nd admin group and 5th group overall and I only needed it because I had conquered and colonized so much Sunni, Christian, or pagan land that my Unity had tanked to ~55% and I couldn't keep up with just 1 missionary
(Econ -> Exploration -> Defensive -> Quantity -> Religious -> Diplomatic)

Those guides telling you to release Armenia are probably just outdated because you already start with 2 vassals now in that Armenian region. I usually try to integrate both of them ASAP as Armenian is a good culture to get accepted early on for QQ. Georgia makes for a much better march as they have decent NI's for military and they aren't really worth coring or diplo-annexing since their lands are poor and have a hostile core creation malus. You can vassalize them in a single war early on and feed them back their own cores and the rest of the Georgian/Caucuses region as a Bulwark for the inevitable Mega Moscuvy or PLC that'll confront you in that region and their mountain forts are also a death trap for ottoman armies that might try to invade you.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fat Albert posted:

I’ve followed your advice and vassalised Georgia, made them a march etc. seems to be working well so far! I’m intrigued by the explo idea as the 2nd choice - what was the intent there?

Anyone with a coastline on or near the Indian Ocean can make ungodly amounts of cash by blocking the Europeans at the Cape of Africa and slowly filling out SEAsia all for yourself. The only tricky bit is as QQ your capital is in Asia so you will spread institutions to anyone you colonize near as you cannot put provinces in your home continent into Trade Companies so you'll eventually bleed away your tech advantage. But if you act quickly you can carve out a really fat slice of Indochina and make bank either collecting the trade money right there or setting up a chain leading into Persia or wherever.

I happened to also get the "Georgia on my Mind" Achievement that same run because I nabbed the South Georgia Islands and all I really had to do was eventually integrate my Georgian march and then attack the Colonial Nation for the 5-6 provinces you need in North America

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 17, 2017

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Steak posted:

So I'm at an impasse with my latest Japan game. Its 1700 and I have land from Korea to Kamchaka. From Alaska to Mexico. From the Philippines to Australia. I'm ranked 6th for a world power and I'm competitive to all my neighbors in military tech, a little behind in diplotech and lagging in admin. But, I've started running into real world powers in Mexico and the Moluccas with France and the Malmuks respectively. I'm like 3 to 5 techs behind each of them and they both despise me. I see bloodlust in their eyes.

Either I shore it in, play defensively and concede the majority of the Spice Islands and Papua to the Malmuks while I engage in a cold war with France. OR take the fight to each of them, get my poo poo pushed in and call it a game. Currently all of my allies consist of various Chinese kingdoms.

the AI is terrible at shipping large quantities of troops across the world. Just make sure you have a big enough fleet to murder France's and you can keep them entirely out of the Americas, or even better, trap their armies outside of France and carpet siege the European lands

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

I finally got the Die Please Die achievement. gently caress Enrique de Trastámara the Unkillable forever. :toot: :suicide:

Anyway, more of a thought experiment to see if I understand trade and production rather than a real question: I got the mission to increase my trade revenue to 60% and I’m sitting at 50-something right now, which got me thinking about it and wiki diving. I have the Sevilla, Caribbean, Cape and Ivory Coast pretty much locked down. If I understand correctly:

- Markets won’t help (much) because the amount of trade power is irrelevant, and only your power relative to others matters. I’m sitting pretty at 80-100% in those nodes.
- Workshops in Colonial Nations will increase the trade value of the node they are in, but also increase my tariffs because they get more money.
- Workshops in territorial cores suffer the 75% autonomy penalty, so they are a crappy investment.
- Trade companies increase the trade value of the node by increasing the goods produced but that only affects other nations, so adding provinces to a trade company where you have 100% trade power won’t help either. This doesn’t seem logical at all but it’s an ironman game and I don’t want to try stuff so far into it.

So my best bet to increase trade income is to either place markets or light ships in CoT where I have low power?

Autonomy hardly matters for trade good production, sure you would get more if they were full cores but the RoI if you do it right is insane. Just put up +production buildings in high value tradegood provinces like Dyes/Cocoa/Tobacco and ship them through multiple trade nodes into your home port. The further away they are to begin with (without risking the wealth being diverted away from your collection node) the better

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

You're in the wrong Paradox thread, friend

drat and I just thought I had missed out on some updates to Norse Custom nations

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Affi posted:

So ideas to survive as Grenada and re-re-qonqista?

Defensive seems good to start with, then maybe humanism for all the different cultures?

I'm going to avoid colonising until I've actually got a solid foundation to build on!

If you dont mind restarting a few times try to get a start where both Portugal and Aragon have rivaled Castille. In that case one of two things happens

Either Aragon jumps on Castille with Portugal and you and the Berber Boys can join in on the dogpile, or Castille will attack you alone and drag your allies into it. If you get attacked all you have to do is whittle down their starting manpower pool to a nub and everyone in the neighborhood will wardec them.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure Portugal will literally never rival Castile. I've certainly never seen it happen, and I think the historical friends modifier prevents it.

I havent been playing much around Iberia the past few DLCs but when I did re-reconquista around the time Art of War was the latest DLC it only took like 5 tries before they loaded up as rivals

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

rights of man is a must have. then mandate, el dorado, cradle, and mare nostrum imo, but those are just my personal preferences.

You cant play anywhere outside of Europe effectively without the Common Sense dlc to allow for development to seed institutions

e: didnt even read the post you quoted assuming it was a generic 'which dlc is important' question; he probably has that one already

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there any good way to break into colonisation early as a north German minor without cheekily grabbing Iceland / Madeira / random province in North Africa?

Gotta boost your colonial range as far as it goes. Sadly there is no easy reliable way to do this as a german minor.

The 50% you get from exploration is basically a given if you are colonizing and wont be enough

the 20% boost you get from a Navigator DIP advisor is significant but probably still not enough to go from anywhere in the HRE to the Americas (or even Midway/Cape Verde).

Culture switching to Norway would probably take enough time that you would get dip tech 7 in the mean time and would defeat the purpose of 'fast' colonizing. But if you did that extra 33% would make it easy as pie to get into Greenland or Midway from the English Channel zone.

Your best bet might be to no-CB (best-CB) war on Brittany or an Irish minor before France/England annexes or allies them

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

I need some advice on how to devastate the Ottomans.

Nailed it

1) Wipe out whatever army they have left
2) Occupy each and every single one of their provinces so they cannot recruit additional troops (you can leave rebel occupied provinces be for now but might have deal with them if they are close to enforcing demands other than separatists)
3) Spread your troops out and raid every single province until it hits 100% devastation, it will be worth it to hire as many cav as possible here because they raid much more effectively and basically pay for themselves

This takes a very long time so you might want to focus on their richest provinces and ignore any provinces you will take in the peace deal. Also remember to spam scorched earth everywhere as often as possible

If you keep your warscore under ~70% you wont get call for peace and can keep it up for decades forcing every possible separatist group to spawn and enforce their demands and leaving the ottos with a broken shell of a nation that wont function properly for most of a century afterwards, possibly even starting a deathspiral if there's a large Lucky Nation AI on their border

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Talking about republics made me want to do a Milan game, so I fired one up and I'm all ready to become an Ambrosian republic. Suddenly:

:sigh:

Never not go for the Ambrose

You'll be swimming in 6/6/6 Captain Defenders nonstop for most of the rest of the game and any time your Republican Tradition drops to 40-50'ish you'll get an event that lets you pay 1 stability for 20 RT

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Ehhh. Breaking straits only requires you to hold one or two specific provinces, freshly recruited regiments you can pick off in the field, the rest is all poo poo I would consider peripheral to the actual prosecution of a war. If your desire is to grind a country into dust and break them for all eternity then that probably should be a considerable undertaking.

My experience is that any war that drags on long enough to require carpet sieging- we're talking exclusively massive hellwars against pan-continental juggernauts and coalitions here- is already so long that carpet sieging doesn't make it appreciably longer. And those wars are very much not the norm, unless you're trying to conquer the world... or play multiplayer, I guess.

I cant imagine how you think chasing around dozens of single unit stacks as they run through every nation willing to give access to the AI is less time consuming than carpet sieging the enemy after you wipe out their actual armies

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

I don't understand Independence Wars at all.

Three vassals. One of them very desiring of liberty, one constantly on the edge and in the process of being annexed, one quite loyal (I thought) March. The trouble maker declares independence and the other two honour their alliance with them. This is a big mistake, I thought, because alone I can take them, let alone with my allies.

So I seal off the one I was annexing (that process is gone, sadly) and let my ally take that one, while I go to work on the March. The March is quickly out of army and out of forts starts giving me peace offers. But as far as I can tell, accepting the seperate peace doesn't put them back under my control. And there's not option to Vassalize them in the peace screens either. So they just get away free?

Accepting a white peace or better with a vassal (or any peace that does not explicitly demand you give them independence) will return you to status quo of being the overlord of your March/Vassal/Colonial Nation/Jr Partner/etc.

You dont need to demand "Remain my vassal" as a peace option, that is the default result without your vassal demanding liberty in the peace

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

A Victoria game without the rise of the USA would be just as silly as a CK2 with a strong and stable Byzantium or an EU4 with a weak Manchu and Russia. It just won’t happen.

Either you think ck2 byz isn't stable enough or eu4 Muscovy isn't strong enough and I can't decide which would be further from reality

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I've said this plenty of times before, but the inflation reduction idea is a terrible reason to take economic ideas. You can always just reduce your inflation by 2% for 75 admin, so that -0.1% yearly translates to saving only 3.75 admin points a year.

So what you're saying is it only takes ~100 years for the idea to pay itself off and continue generating a positive impact?

I guess anyone taking economic after 1720 feels really silly

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

MrBling posted:

That sounds counterproductive.

Next thing you know people will be lighting fires below decks hoping it'll make the ship go faster

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

How does one go around starting a Byz game? I start the game, see the Ottomans looming over me and go ‘nope’.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Many times, over and over, until the stars align on that perfect combination of alliances and rivalries

The stars you want to align the most are as many possible people rival the Ottomans, from most to least important

Poland+Lithuania, Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, Venice, Aragon, Castile, Tunis, and eventually Muscovy

Ally as many of those nations as you can prioritizing the ones that have rivaled the Ottomans (much more likely to join offensive as well as defensive wars).

Either the Ottomans will attack you and most of the time their allies wont join them and yours will and you just have to try and herd your AI allies with siege objectives and trying to get them to join with your puny army.
OR
You wait for them to be at war with the mamluks and as many others as possible (Mamluks will sometimes ally Karaman or Aq Qyunlu) and hit them as hard as you possibly can. It helps to have Venice in your alliance if you choose this option because Mamluks + Venetian fleet will usually be able to sink the Ottomans and if your alliance has naval dominance the war should be a cake walk.

e: If you're having trouble securing an Alliance in the first place with someone there are some tricks you can use to smooth things over

Positive Opinion: If you can get +100/+200 relations the AI has a high chance of switching to friendly and being much more open to deals

Diplomatic Reputation: From advisors, events, missions, ideas, whatever, its good and gives you a strong bonus to "yes" on most diplomatic interactions

Army/Navy over Force Limits: "Byzantine Army Strength" can be pretty prohibitive if you're trying to get an alliance with a much stronger country, going over your force limits with galleys and infantry while lowering your army maintenance is a great way to get around the penalty and you will be needing those troops relatively soon anyways

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 11, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

One of the only things stopping the Ottomans from forming Byzantium is the "Is not Ottoman Empire" requirement on the decision, so forming literally any other tag will let you swap to Byz. I think Romania used to be the easiest formable nearby but now with Georgia divided with a decision to form it that could be just as fast or faster.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Taking a fort in a lovely terrain hostile territory should be a pain in the rear end and/or resource expensive, it just isn't fun when the resources you're paying with are attention and micromanagement, and attrition feels less impactful because like Groogy said it's effectively invisible until you run out of manpower and look at the ledger to see what killed everyone. Making reinforcement speed more dynamic could be fun though

Home territory, army professionalism, high province development, coastal provinces, local trade power, nearby buildings(forts/depots/barracks or whatever), spending mil points, or a 'logistics' adviser could all increase speed.

Bad terrain, extreme climate, distance from nearest occupied fort, enemy ideas/bonuses, and events could stack up to bring it down. That way fighting wars on the rear end end of the globe actually requires either preparation

If the AI cant figure it out just let it cheat

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

People loving hate AI that plays by different rules though (and I agree that it's bad unless the game specifically tells you that it's happening)

Do people still complain about lucky nations?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Eldred posted:

There's also an event that fires to spit the pope out that usually happens pretty quickly after you've cored Rome. Can't find the documentation on it unfortunately.

Unrelated note - what's a fun start in Africa? Would like to be away from the northern parts so I don't have to deal with Ottomans and Mamluks right away.

Mali is a fun as hell, you start with a ruler and heir as bad as Spain's and without feudalism adopted yet and have about 70-80 years to replace your terrible rulers, spread feudalism from your capital (which starts with it already seeded), spawn and adopt colonialism, and catch up on tech before the Portuguese, Spanish, or French start hassling you to steal your coasts. Going for the Abu Bakr II's Ambition achievement was one of the most fun and hectic runs i've had in awhile

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Do you like, never go above speed 2 or something? Jesus.

eu4 multiplayer games still make it to 1500 in like, two hours at 2-3 speed

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only moral way to play this game is by picking Dithmarschen every single time.

Fister Roboto posted:

And then destroy every crowned head of Europe, then the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Tales from Multiplayer: Chapter 1

credit to Mountaineer from the discord