Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
I tried to get back into EU4 for the first time since Leviathan dropped, but gave up after I played for 25 minutes and hadn't even reached 1450 yet, flat out on speed 5 after initial setup. I've noticed a pretty sharp decline in the performance of other Pdx games recently as well (HoI4 and Stellaris), so I assume it's something wrong with my system rather than an update for any specific games. Which components would be most likely to affect the performance of a Pdx game, would that be the CPU or could it be something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
A question for people who've played more Anbennar than I have. I'm looking for nations with a more villainous bent (i.e. more evil than the usual imperialistic EU4 country), but so far I've only really played in Cannor/Escann and the Dwarovar. There are some obvious answers that I'm aware of, like the Black Demesne, Aelnar, anyone with Vampires, but what does Haless and Aelantir (eta: and Sarhel I guess too, including the in-development version) have to offer in that regard? Also, are there any interesting 'evil' nations in Cannor/Escann/Dwarovar that are a bit more obscure and I might have missed?

Sybot fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 14, 2023

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions. When my current LP ends I'll put up a poll for the next playthrough and we'll see what sort of evil the audience wants.

Wafflecopper posted:

There’s one in the Wine Bay area (I think Sorncost but not at my pc and can’t check) who is surprisingly evil. They’re all about using magic to suck life force out of the forests/peasants to fertilise their vineyards.

It is a fairly challenging run since you have to survive with Lorent blocking your expansion and wanting to eat you. I did it by no-CBing into Ourdia and Deshak

Having poked around I think that is Eilisin. It looks interesting, if maybe a bit too tricky of a start for me to be comfortable showing off a playthrough of.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

RubricMarine posted:

I do have a question about development though: Should I constantly be up-devving my provinces? Should I only do this when I need to for a mission or something? I'm not sure if this is like, a process I should be doing regularly or only when I need to. I'm playing Ovdal Lodhum because it was in a similar area to Sybot's LP so I'd be more familiar with the basics, and I'm making only a fraction of what he was during the same time period, but that's to be expected for a novice player I suppose. Just don't know the rhythm of developing provinces yet.

In general (including in vanilla EU4), developing isn't usually cost-effective unless you can stack positive cost modifiers. Under most circumstances it is cheaper and easier to conquer more land than develop what you have in the early game, and developing should be saved for when you have an excess of points to spend. Once you have ideas, development efficiency from tech and so on, it starts to become more viable.

Specifically to Anbennar, the holds and mission provinces are the only things you want to develop early on. Most of the Serpentspine gets negative development cost modifiers, although late game the rail provinces get really good for it once the rails come back online. You should only develop your hold, and then only to the point where you can upgrade it to the next level. Hovering over the hold depth modifier on the province will tell you what that number is. There is also the additional complication of needing to fund colonies. In the LP I managed to get a bunch of colonist bonuses from the initial adventurer tree, but I'm not sure if the Ovdal Lodhum tree has any specific bonuses of its own. As you colonise, make sure to turn each province into a state, and beat up anyone you encounter, whether they are greenskins or fellow dwarves, for their land and money. The economy really comes online once you have unified the region.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks to everyone in the thread who offered suggestions on interesting villainous nations to play in Anbennar. I have posted the preliminary poll for the next playthrough in my LP, if people are interested in participating in choosing the flavour of evil.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
For those following Anbennar, I've heard rumblings, though no official announcement that I can find, that the Steam version will be updated to 1.35 and release the Sarhal continent update on November 20th. Having played the Bitbucket, there doesn't seem to be much actual content in Sarhal yet, but there will be a lot of other new mission trees to try out particularly for Dwarves and colonial nations, and possibly the long-awaited continent-wide disaster for Haless.

I am planning to start my next Anbennar LP after the release, so if you are interested in that please check out this post for the vote on which nation I'll be playing.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Will actual population numbers mean the wars where you kill a million Frenchmen over and over again actually have an impact?

I'm torn a bit on this. Having population makes things like religious/cultural conversion much more granular and sensical, and allows simulation of things that were abstracted in EU4 like the growth of cities or migrations. On the other hand, I'm not sure that I want EU5 to feel too much like Victoria. I don't want it to be too much of a pop management game.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
If you can set a goal for yourself during the limited time in the original nation, then even better! As Wineport I spent the time waiting for Isobelin to spawn kicking the poo poo out of Lorent to slow them down and make the colonial game a bit less of a race against time. Of course, I ended up regretting it later as it turned out I'd manage to permanently cripple them, leading to Wineport annexing them and reforming an even richer Lorent that immediately went hostile with me and forced me to fight them to finish the mission tree (since you need to own or be friends with the owner of the province that spawns Isobelin).

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #4

Not too much in this Dev Dairy, confirming that the types of government will be more or less the same, except for one thing...

EU3 sliders are back, in incremental form!

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Very interested by the brief mention of levies in regards to the estates. Modelling the change from feudal levies to professional armies by having you rely on estate troops in the early game and then starting to build up a standing army as you gather more power onto the crown would be a good way to do it. I wonder what sort of levies you get from the other kind of estates. Maybe mercs from the merchants, and peasant mobs (that can be buffed in the right hands) fromthe commoners.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #6

Covering 'control', the mechanic replacing autonomy, and how it is modified by proximity to the capital, rivers and maritime presence.

It also ties into the markets system, which sounds as though it is a lot more dynamic than trade in previous entries with the possibility of provinces locations switching market.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Also, in a bit of self-promotion, I've just posted the vote for the next Anbennar campaign in my LP thread, for those who are interested:

Sybot posted:

Vote: The Tides of Change

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #8

More economy, including loans, taxes, food and interestingly a simplified Vicky-esque RGO system.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #9, this time covering the usage of resources.

Last time I thought it seemed like a simplified version of Victoria, here it feels like its piling the complexity back on. Goods are required for construction, inputs are required for the building to continue functioning (including when it has abstract outputs, like a castle ZoC), different production methods can use different combinations of goods more efficiently or cheaper, units requires specific goods for their construction.

There's a lot going on, and I'm not sure if the extra internal management is welcome or if it'll add too much micromanagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #11

An overview of the military. Things seems very similar for now, with the exception of the addition of CK-style levies and a new 'auxiliary' unit type. Manpower remains a distinct resource from population, representing trained soldiers, and is used to maintain regiments as well as create them (meaning manpower gain serves as the effective force limit for your army). Losses in battle and to attrition are translated into pop losses.

At the end it mentions separate talks on the combat system and logistics. If those have been overhauled it would be a far bigger shift in how combat works than we've seen so far.