Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i like how if you're the war leader in the religious wars it's fairly easy to get half of europe to pay you war reps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the majapahit mission that automatically converts all tributaries into vassals is a very satisfying button to click

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jazerus posted:

this button owns because you don't have to waste it on your piddly little starting dudes, you can get enormous tributaries and then convert them

Unfortunately it's a prerequisite to the missions which give you the really good CB on the big guys

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
today i learned that being vassalized does not cause the emperor of china to lose the mandate

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even in Europe I'll dev the institutions that look like they'll take forever to reach me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
do you get the really bad events for having *over* 100% overextension or *at least* 100% overextension

asking for a friend

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I ended up not releasing anyone and can also confirm that at exactly 100% it was completely fine. I thought I'd be at 101% after my second peace deal and be able to concentrate dev to be under, but I misdid my math and was at 111% before concentrating, resulting in an exact hit on 100

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe going peasant republic not only blocks the iberian wedding, but will break the PU if it exists. I'm not positive about that though. I've heard people complaining that AI aragon goes republic too often and spain isn't forming very often as a result

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it is a bit disappointing that a disaster whose real-world equivalent is called "the eighty years war" is so underwhelming

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my dearest wish for eu5 is for the management of large, diverse empires to be as engaging as conquering them in the first place

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I built marines for the angevin missions that require them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in europe at least, historically, forts should be nigh-impossible to take before cannons, then just collapse instantly for the next hundred years, before the siege mechanics become how they work now (with it being like 6-36 months) after star forts are invented

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Having to keep track of differences between armies is more trouble than its worth. Like optimally you should be constantly splitting and merging stacks but I can't be bothered so I make everything the same template and that means marines aren't that great cause I'll never have an army that's entirely marines

Special units that just have an ordinary combat buff, like hussars, are fine, they just mean some of my armies are stronger than others, though I can't be bothered to keep track of which

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tbh what I'd like is a button which is "build this template, using as many special units as possible". Like, you don't always want that, but that's why it's a separate button. Right now it's annoying if like, I'm Poland in the midgame building 6/9/15 stacks and I have to include hussars by manually huilding them, merging them, then clicking conform to template

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The missions I like most are the ones that are a consequence of events that happen before 1444. Like all of eastern europe has PU missions on each other because various combinations of them were in PUs in the late middle ages.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the things I would want in eu5 that can't (easily) just be dlc for eu4 are:

dynamic trade, so trade isn't just a system whereby wealth flows from asia to africa to europe

colonialism more tightly adhering to what happened historically, which I think will also be more fun: 'uncolonized land' (i.e. places so sparsely populated that the colonists can get themselves settled without needing to send the army in) should be basically just small islands in 1444, but disease-related disasters should make it start appearing in the americas over the course of the 16th century, which gives a player playing in the americas the chance to try to weather the storm and come out the other side of smallpox still a great power. Everywhere else, colonies should either be port-and-fort setups that require maintaining good relations with the local rulers (and thus making colonialism interact with the diplomatic systems), or be plain old conquest that requires you to have the logistics to get an army there.

systems that make managing a large empire as fun as conquering one. Emperor of China is a really good start; personally I'd like to see it generalized to a system where large empires take attention and resources to maintain coherence

relatedly, systems by which a large empire can decline or collapse without it being a hard-scripted mechanic (like chinese mandate or ottoman decadence) or them getting pummeled by an even larger empire

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

Declining empires are just not fun from a player's point of view when the whole point of the game seems like it's about growing big and blobbing up.

Again, you need something else going on in the game like Crusader Kings where the fun part of the game isn't just painting the map.

that's basically what I was getting at. Eventually you blob to the point where enemy countries are more bumps in the road than actual enemies, and it'd be nice to have game mechanics that make it as fun to manage an empire as to build one--and the threat of decline or collapse (which you avoid by playing well) is a part of that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
today i learned that if the horse event happens while the imperial incident is still ongoing, it just ends and you don't have to fight a war over burgundy

poor marie had like two months as duchess

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

pope please

im gonna have to eat the trust hit after calling them in with the promise of land because they can't make up their loving minds

e: for some reason, after savoy unconditionally surrendered, the pope suddenly realized they didn't want anything and now won't lose trust over it. thanks, i guess

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I just started playing again. I want to get the Lotharingia achievement after having a blast playing a Burgundy => Lotharingia in a multi-player game a while back. Any important things/gotchyas I should know when working on that achievement when starting as Burgundy?

Agreeing that Mewar is a great country to play in India.

Queen regents count, and practically every french-culture woman is named marie, so once you form lotharingia it shouldn't be long before you have a candidate. Just make your king a general and have him drill and you'll have a regency in no time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The one time I did a tag switch solely for nonsense I felt bad when I saw the new country name and decided to never do it again

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Conquering the steppes as the teutons and giving it all up to poland...not worth the cost to the tectonic legacy, just for some hussars

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kild posted:

this guy didn't tag switch to the mongols.

I clicked the button and then ended there, as that was my overall goal

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Reasonably appropriate switches feel better than ones for pure numerical nonsense imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Countries with lots of unique stuff is fun and I welcome it, even if 'spheres of influence' is an odd choice to be non-universal

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like it. Mamluks feel like one of the countries deserving of a big mission tree and it was always weird how generic they were

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wouldn't it be better to head east instead of west? The real wealth is in Indonesia

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
-75% fort assault ability and +200% ship building time is very funny

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
People used to say Castille was the better beginner's choice, the reason it flipped to Portugal is because Castille has a starting disaster now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The sieze land notification is perfect

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Now where's the notification for being able to reduce autonomy. I need to press the summon rebels button on cooldown

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the new byz government has a funny strat to pass hre reforms really fast. Since it spawns pretender rebels every time you get a new ruler, you just let the pretenders win, which gives you a new ruler, re-elects you for 10 imperial authority, and then spawns new rebels. Only hiccup is that the electors won't be voting for you if you don't have an heir so you need to farm prestige to be able to press the introduce heir button before the rebels win

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't tried it myself but I think people are saying it's easier to have your second war (after epirus) be against naples instead of the ottomans. That's dependent on the rng of aragon giving them up at a convenient moment so you can declare before they get allies, though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Firebatgyro posted:

France you might have wanted to sit this one out

I had a fun one last night where emperor Ansbach declared for the lowlands against a recovered Byz, loyal Burgundy, Austria with Hungary, and Muscovy. Faithful Salzburg answered Ansbach's call to arms.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only thing wrong with mission trees is that not all countries have them

There's some really goofy outliers, like how mamluks didn't have one until just a few days ago, and how janky the Timurid one is (though both Mughals and Persia have good trees so that only matters if you want to stay Timmy). One funny thing with the Timurid missions is that its the same tree for Timmy itself and for all the vassals, so you routinely get claims on your own land for your missions depending on which country you pick.

e: speaking of Indonesia, what countries around there have decent flavor stuff? I've played majapahit but I don't know who else is cool and who's generic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think I've ever seen them go to war

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A country joining the hre still gives authority. If I understand correctly, the bug was that the button would be clickable, and give IA, in situations where your capital was connected to the HRE, at least one province could be added, but the path between that province and your capital was blocked by trade companies. So you'd un-TC provinces one at a time, wait for the 5 year cooldown before they became eligible to join the HRE, and click the button to join the HRE as each one became eligible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is it just me or is the AI much happier to declare imperial ban and imperial liberation wars this patch

Kinda neat to have the Emperor actually try to protect the empire

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's kind of hard to get good trade income in india because it's super leaky. I've had some success routing it out overland and collecting somewhere in persia. This means less of your money is flowing through the coastal nodes, which is where all the money escapes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So if Japan forms, does that just lock the Shogunate out from ever re-appearing, even if an independent Daimyo takes Kyoto?

I'm trying to do Majapahit shogun, and by the time I got the colonial range to no-CB japan, there were only Ashikaga and an independent Uesugi left. I took a bunch of provinces from Ashikaga, then Uesugi took Kyoto and formed Japan while I was still coring. I could have prevented it by warning Uesugi but it didn't even occur to me that it'd be a problem. In fact, I thought it'd be nice if Uesugi took Kyoto because I didn't have a truce with them.

I just want to make sure that I'm understanding correctly what the problem is so I can avoid it on the second try. It'd suck to try again and realize the problem was something else entirely.