Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tahirovic posted:

Ming is still as stupid as ever, their fix did nothing. Transoxiana is a tributary in loving 1540.
Is there still an exploit or something to disable them in Ironman mode?

Disable the DLC, if you can live without Ages and the diplo manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Did they really warrant such a change? The Ottos are supposed to be the counterweight to Europe, even historically. And didn't they subjugate the Mamluks?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Europe has always been its own counterweight, they don't need the help.

To Russia, then.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

Would it be a good idea to make the quality idea group give a bonus to drilling somewhere, instead of the extra discipline?
Is the decision for extra drilling speed worth it? +15% land cost is a lot.

I don't think they'll remove something for a DLC-only thing. It would have to do both, so those without still get something.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

1.23.1 patch notes posted:

Blocked hordes from getting the sheikh ul islam events on new ruler as they would not do anything for hordes. + Fix - for the fix for sheikh ul islam popping without effects on all new rulers for hordes.
Added loc for 3 lines in spanish and french.
Monthly piety and karma now shown as percentages, tweaked previous values to not be insanely high
AI will no longer randomly cancel annexation or integration.
Unit arrival time's accessibility is now larger than 1 pixel (decreased max width for current unit location)
You must now have no provinces outside the British region at the start to be eligible for the 'Around the world in 80 years' achievement.
Fixed potential CTD in CTradeGoodsDataBase::ReadPrices if trade goods were modded.
Fixed potential CTD in CTradeCompanyRegionTrigger if Trade Company Regions were modded.
Fixed trigger switch effect not propagating selected event option (causing e.g. Ruler always getting name from first option).
Added missing text for the mission to establish a colonial country in Brazil.
Added missing loc for colonization of brazil mission in Spanish, German and French as well.
Mamluk government now don't get set to 20 legitimacy when they lose their monarch
Religions will no longer spawn more reformation centers than they are allowed to
Fixed age check of heirs/queens when not used by government form when loading nation designer templates
Fix for CTD related to one province naval trade routes
You can no longer promote advisors if you don't have Cradle of Civilization

How does that "Around The World" achievement work, then? You're not allowed to be England?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ah right, it's an achievement for custom nations, I forgot.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SkySteak posted:

This is a general question but when it comes to this, is it better to just vassalize all of Byzantium and then integrate them, or should I poach Constantinople for myself and leave them with just Morea?

Vassalize the smallest Byz possible, eating the rest for yourself, then feed them their cores back.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Uziduke posted:

Not a bad Lion of the North Run, I got Emp of the HRE, couldn't wait to get a drat female ruler so I could lose it and disband the HRE.

What's up with the one half of Iceland looking uncolonized?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

oddium posted:

huge slam on the scots out of nowhere

Blame EU4s wonky default map.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

quote:

- Army Mintenance is no longer a thing.

What if you don't have CoC?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Might be referring to the typo

Someone earlier in the thread just had the idea of removing army maintenance, they might've listened to that as well.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

^^they also have so much lower absolutism, which is such a big thing late game since you can just annex whole regions without worrying about OE.

Bureaucratic Despotism has no penalty to absolutism, so you're not completely lost when it kicks in.

E:

Oh, right, they don't hold elections. Whoops.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Also remember there's no reason not to roll your ruler as a free general, which can be really nice because eventually one is bound to roll really good stats.

This is why republics are my go-to government, after they decided to obliterate theocracies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Affi posted:

How does it affect it? And why would anyone take religious ideas except for rp reasons?

Religious has a bunch of good events, most notable a crap ton of +1 stability.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

Getting low AE CBs without Religious is just so goddamn tedious. Almost makes me want to take Espionage.

Yup.

Almost.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Go to subject interactions and hit the Support Loyalists button immediately after starting the game. It'll keep Sweden calm for a while if you can bear to spend the money for it.

Seriously. You're paying a pittance for keeping them securely beneath the naughty threshold.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Groke posted:

If I'm going to be blobbing a lot early on, my current thinking is Admin and Influence as the first two idea groups (order depending on details; for Muscovy, Influence might be a good #1 because of all the vassal states etc.) -- Religious would be a fine #3. I have come to think that military idea groups are best saved for a bit later, because keeping up or slightly ahead of the pack in military tech is pretty important in the early game, so better to spend sword mana on that.

Defensive is fun and appropriate for Russia but it's really mostly worth it a bit later in the game when you have an awful lot of provinces that invaders will have to trudge across. Maybe as #4? So by the time you might be interested in fighting Ming, they can leave a trail of frozen dead bodies all across Siberia.

Defensive is worth it right from the start. The morale boost alone will win you wars, and +1 yearly tradition will not take long to pay off.

I almost always pick Defensive as my first military idea, sometimes even as my first or second idea pick, depending on location, just for that massive 15% morale.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

holy poo poo YES

Yup. :stare:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Is that a soft no, or..?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

At this thread's suggestion, I am in a Spain game where I restarted until I could get an alliance with France before unpausing. It gives you a lot of freedom since any continental action is going to see France at your back, and you can use that to obliterate Portugal and dominate trade coming from the new world and the indies.

Just try to build up your trust with France, once it's above 80 they'll automatically give up any cores/claims on you and pretty much be your best bud forever.

Keeping Portugal as a colonizing vassal isn't a bad idea.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

What ships should I use for exploration? Heavies? Or is it actually more cost-effective to use something cheaper?

Lights will do just fine; they even sail faster than heavies. Transports and galleys can't explore.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, and I don't know why it's even an option because they're worse at it in every way.

And attrition is percentage based, isn't it?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's still a tragedy, that development was completely dropped for that kind of finished Warcraft total conversion. It had spells and so, so many different factions to play as.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I assume it's just easier to convert CK2 (presumably because it's less complicated) because that has some awesome ones.

But CK2 isn't as good as EU4! :(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Anyone here having any luck with Never say Nevers? I got a game off by the (or what looks like) 1 in 100 chance of Burgundy rivaling Austria, but that was borked by joining a defensive war that we had no chance in. It just seems to me that allying either England or France is doomed to disaster, since England is England and France wants all of your stuff, not to mention the two of them being unable to actually win against Burgundy in 1444. Austria seems much more capable, and they don't want everything you own, but it's stupidly rare how often they rival Burgundy.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

why would burgundy, who is in an existential crisis against france, ever want to rival austria?

You might be better off trying to ally Denmark or something, they're usually surprisingly tough for a while.

In news away from a structured, sensible reality; there's sign ups for a new weekly Eu4 game, CHAOS edition, starting on the 20th every Thursday 8pm est for those so interested.

Yeah, for whatever reason, Denmark always state that they're incapable of reaching Burgundy.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's really just there to give England another leg-up, since the Anglican religion gives a boost to it.

I think that was the point behind it, anyway.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Normal estates still seem to be all about hammering the influence options as soon as possible for the monarch power, gold and 40 tradition general.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Have they turned off the ability to use older versions?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You need to go to their site and do some dumb law stuff

Easy enough. Also what.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Prav posted:

why would you want scandinavian ideas when you could just keep your superior swedish ones anyway

I always thought that Danish naval ideas were on par with England's... Until I saw that Great Britain gets their own.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I've seen the Dutch

They're kind of supposed to!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Those pesky Milanese could make their move at any moment! The second they become an ambrosian republic, you'll be sorry!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Family Values posted:

(6/6/6 ruler with 100 republican tradition)

Dropping the title of Captain and Defender from the Ambrosian Republic was an unforgivable war crime, Paradox.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

If you get at least one of the idea sets which gives a passive increase it makes it much easier to stay at a high level. Defensive and quality, I think?

Every yearly +1% is another 20 baseline tradition. So yeah, they're worth going for.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jazerus posted:

i mean playing like that doesn't affect anybody except the person doing it, and presumably they're enjoying doing it, so who cares

Groogy might care a bit.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's not just that; that "Historical Friends" modifier is absurd; Denmark can be left as a single province and Norway will still not go over into disloyalty. It's rather irritating too, because there's a buncha Norwegian events that never really happen because they happen way, way too late.

Historical!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Wouldn't no-CBing them when they've lost their first war work?

The Teutons lose half their provinces to an unavoidable event now, which is all kinds of stupid, but probably makes this easier to time?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I find stuff like Bunte Kuh, Lucky Lucca, and That's a Silk Road to be the gold standards of fun achievements. Either something that takes a quirky nation or something everyone can technically accomplish, but without any crippling time limits clamped on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

All guns on all rows.