Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm playing a Timore game at the moment colonising Australia, and I ran into a couple of odd things. Firstly, when I colonise a province in New Guinea, the province keeps the Papuan culture, but when I colonise on Australia my colonies get the Moluccan culture instead. Not sure why that's happening? Secondly, if you start in Timore and colonise Australia, all your Australian provinces still count as a colony even though they share a sea zone and are right next to each other. New Guinea also seems to exist in a weird inbetween-zone, where if your capital is in the Moluccas it counts as part of the Moluccas rather than an Australian colonial region, but if your capital is in Australia, it counts as part of the Australia region and not a Moluccan colony. I don't know a ton about Australian geography, but I also feel like it could use a few more provinces, and maybe a long thin strip of very lovely coastline so I can march my soldiers around the entire island rather than having to sail them from Top End to the big chunk of territories in the east? But maybe that is just what Australia is like in real life.

Also, I wanted to know how I can speed up getting institutions? If I colonise Taiwan, or a province in America next to a European colony, can I pick up institutions through the colony? Or does it have to be part of my non-colonial territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does anyone have any tips for uniting the Maya? I'm not sure how much I should be rushing and breaking truces and such. Also the Nahuatl states keep declaring war on the aztecs, losing, and getting vassalized in the peace deal, so it's kinda hard to stop a big aztec murder alliance from forming. Should I be spending more time when I'm at my pre-reform, 20 state stage stomping on all the Nahuatl states? Should I slow down? I've been passing reform #2 by about 1497 or 98.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I savescummed like a loser but it's my first time trying a playthrough that isn't on easy mode and Mesoamerica is hard anyway so I ain't ashamed :colbert:

What a rush, though. Portugal + Castille declared on me, but in the two or three months it took them to mass their forces my gulf coast colony finally completed and I got a shared border with Portugal's gulf colonies, and I was able to reform the religion and use my huge pile of military points to jump up to military parity with the Europeans. I briefly became the (weakest) great power for a few months, took all of Portugal's Mexican colonies, repelled a Castilian invasion, and peaced out with all of Portuguese Mexico under my control. I think I'm going to need to go eat Panama next, or I'll have to deal with Portuguese California in a few decades.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

All the reform mechanics have five bonuses, and you have to get a certain number of X (vassals, cored provinces, or 'authority' you get from low autonomy provinces and events) to pass a reform, at which point you lose all your vassals or cores or authority and you have to do the whole thing again. Each time it gets easier because less cores are released, or less rebels are spawned from low authority, etc, and you also have more bonuses from your reforms. The Aztecs have a 'doom' timer that you need to decrease by sacrificing people in wars or the country will collapse and you lose all your reforms. The northern native American tribes have a slightly different thing where they also get five reforms, but you just spend monarch points on them and they are lost when you reform the native government. I think you can still do the gimmicky trick where you convert a totemist native american tribe to the Aztec religion, which (I think?) makes reforming the religion a lot easier, but I'm not entirely sure.

The Native american game is actually kind of a cool twist on EU4 imo because although the tasks in front of you aren't necessarily hard (vassalising neighbours, annexing smaller states etc), the impending arrival of Europe forces you to rush and make a lot of interesting decisions. I was super behind on diplo tech as the Mayans because I had to break truces and build the stability back up pretty much constantly to get all my reforms finished before I got invaded by Spain, and I also had to constantly gently caress with my Aztec neighbours to make sure nobody got into a big vassal blob that could kill me. It's also balanced so the Mayans will need to steal vassals off the Aztecs to have enough provinces to pass their reforms, which keeps things very dynamic. I haven't played the Aztecs (or the other Nahuatl states) so I don't know if their game is balanced in the same way.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

How worthwhile is spawning institutions rather than waiting for them to spread your way, if you're a long way from Europe (East Asia, Southeast Africa)?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

How hard is it to make China explode (with Mandate of Heaven)? Is it possible as Japan, or a large-ish country in Southeast Asia? I have a game where I started as one of the little one province states in the Philippines and I now own all of the Philippines and almost all of Borneo, and I can field about 26k troops and 40-ish boats. Would that be large enough, or do I need to be a lot bigger than that, if it's primarily going to be a naval war? If I just pump loads of money into sponsoring rebels in the country, will it just implode without me ever having to actually fight a war against it?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Thanks for the pointers. It's mostly because I started a Japan game and I can't pick up the Ryuku Islands and other overseas territory as they are now Ming tributaries, but also because the whole vassal system is kind of annoying and I think breaking it and seeing what happens to the Asian region when the Ming collapses would make the game more interesting for me. How hard would it be to break away as a tributary, if I didn't want to collapse Ming? I'm a tributary in my Philippines game, how big should I get before I break away from them?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I thought Dithmarschen would be one of those starts where you are doomed to be eaten very fast but I'm doing an iron man run of them at the moment and the HRE and some alliances pretty much kept me safe from conquest, and then I no cb conquered an Irish minor and hopped over the Atlantic to colonise Canada.

I'm not sure I made the right call though. If you're a tiny nation setting up colonies is it better to take a less desirable region like the north American east coast? I thought if I took the carribbean I'd just end up having all my colonies conquered by spain/portugal/Britain, but now I'm on my fourth colony in Canada and there's like 3 colonies in South America and none anywhere else? Should I just have taken the carribbean?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I don't understand the mechanic very well and I'm not sure which DLC it is from (probably Cradle of Civilization?) but if you are a Muslim nation with enough trade power in a node, you can click the node and you get an option to propagate your religion, which will convert territories near the node to your faith. That could work well with your plan to convert a republic to Islam.

I would just go with a custom nation, honestly. The Indian ocean had (and still has) lots of small Muslim communities along coastal trading ports, and you have places like Zanzibar and The Maldives where there's a little island Sultanate, so it wouldn't be ahistorical to take another Indian ocean island and set up a pretend Islamic sultanate there. Alternatively, you could pick a mid-1300's startdate in CK2, find a Shiite or Ibadi tribal leader (or convert to one), set up a merchant republic, and then import to EU4. Then it is still 'historical', and it's close enough to the EU4 startdate that your world shouldn't look super weird.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Features for everyone in this English specific Immersion pack!

It could have easily been a national idea instead, like -5% to all mana costs if you are ahead of time in Admin, Diplo and Military tech. I wonder if it started out that way before being developed into its own mechanic.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Is there any info on how the new content pack is going to handle the English civil war? In the current game it just spawns a bunch of noble rebels, right?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I think that with smaller nations, the potential to stack wipe/easily defeat a drilling unit (or be stack wiped) if you rush across their border as soon as you declare war is an interesting wrinkle to the whole drilling mechanic.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Eldred posted:

They added a little of that in I think the newest expansion/patch, with the option to change the good in the Printing Press spawning province to paper and a few other related decision. Definitely a cool feature, and one that can be done without more points and meters.

Yeah there's a bunch of events that change the trade good to things like tea, paper and glassware, when it's historically appropriate. Banning slavery also changes all your slave provinces to random trade goods.

Coal is more useful for people modding other periods of history, as it lets you reflect the geopolitics of the discovery of oil in the Arabian peninsula, or the beginning of iron working in the early iron age.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Does shifting to a different country change your tech group?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

If you make a nation with one of the reformable native religions but a non - American government type, what happens? Do you still need to pass religious reforms? Do you pass them but then you can just immediately pass the final reform without the requirement to border another country with a non - American government?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

What is the easiest 'legit' way to form Greece? I was thinking of trying it but as far as I can tell you gotta start as one of four or five Greek culture group opms or crusader states occupying Greek island provinces and... somehow get big enough to squish the ottomans before they squish you? And you can't start as byzantium. It looks like a very difficult thing to pull off.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

On the one hand, hooray for more detail and nuance in governments! On the other, I am looking at yet another way to buy a dozen little puddly 5% or 10% bonuses to the same modifiers and my blood is starting to boil up out of my eyes.

EU these days feels like this bowl of mushy indeterminate gruel to me, sixteen ways to do the same thing and they all taste the same.

I had a momentary "oh cool, something to do with the internal management of the country" feeling and then realised it was just more of the same bonuses to modifiers stuff. I hope the sequel makes internal political challenges an actual, significant part of gameplay, because it seems like it's too late in EU4's dev cycle to try and put that in an expansion. It just gets a little strange as the game 'simulates' (or alludes to) more and more historical aspects of culture and statecraft with each expansion, but they only get represented in the context of like, reduced coring costs and higher forcelimits.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

The real life western interior seaway would be a neat random new world. South America looks pretty interesting at those high sea level periods too.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I think it could follow the example of the Ottoman and Tsardom governments where it's only available for one period-accurate example and one weird alt-history variant. Mughals and from a "reform the Maurya Empire" decision, or for Bharat/Hindustan. Or make it the last idea in an idea group?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

In the EU4 Q&A Jake mentioned that estates are going to be part of the base game in 1.26, and also that they will no longer demand a minimum number of provinces - so it sounds like they'll become more of an opt-in system rather than a mandatory hassle.

E: I haven't seen the whole Q&A, just that one clip, so I don't know if they are also integrated into any government systems. But integrating them into the base game opens them up to being integrated into more systems in the future, even if they aren't doing it in the latest expansion just yet.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 20, 2018

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I haven't actually played EU4 for a while, but how does reinforcement rate correspond to how far away your army is from your own or an ally's territory at the moment? I think a model where attrition is pretty draining if you're in a province that isn't adjacent to one that you or an ally owns would be a good model, and it would also line up well with the new feature in Dharma where you can buy a coastal province from nations in trade company regions. I think a setup where it's difficult to directly invade another continent and you're forced to establish a beachhead in other ways (obtaining a local ally, establishing a colony, buying a province from a local nation, set up a supply depot) would make for an interesting dynamic. And then in more local conflicts, if you're playing Prussia and you want to capture the Russian capital as part of your war, you need to capture Russian provinces between their capital and your own territory to establish a 'supply line' to give you the reinforcement rate you need to take their capital fort, which then gives the Russian army the opportunity to retake those connecting provinces to stop the siege. I don't remember totally how reinforcement rate and attrition work, though, so the game might already do some of those things at the moment.

Maybe that's a dumb idea, I haven't played this game in a little while and my go-to strategy was always just to capture enemy forts first and then while their army is occupied for like, two years retaking those forts, I'd mop up all their other provinces and then swing back around and kill their army before their siege on the fort ended. So I'm just trying to think of how attrition and reinforcement changes could alter that strategy.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Groogy, how much work goes into those regional revamps that sometimes get rolled out between DLCs? Do they just happen when there's a few weeks in the DLC pipeline where there's a lot of other work like programming going on, and the content designers don't have much to do?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

There's a two province Hindu republic in the Philippines that should be very easy to flip to Islam, or you could pick a Shia nation, colonise somewhere, and then grant the colony independence and choose the colonial republican option when you switch over to playing them.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Is the new 1.26 situation where AI tribes reform their governments working as intended? I was playing a game in Africa and by 1500 or so, every country in the Congo basin was a republic. It was a bit odd.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I think it's fine to see some of them reform but my initial observation is that they all seem to be immediately passing the 'reform tribal government into X' as soon as they unlock that choice. A good way to keep it historical might be to have the AI not immediately pass that final reform, but instead give them a probability to choose to pass it each year, and have that probability be influenced by ruler personality and stats, and their proximity and relations to other non-tribal nations. It's just an oversight, I suppose.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I have been trying to form Maya on ironman and it's very hard. There's a sort of urgency throughout the whole start of the playthrough because the faster you can pass all the reforms, the better chance you have of not being utterly clowned by the Europeans when they arrive. Additionally, you're playing in such a restricted gamespace because of the technology limitations - you can't explore or sail, you're just stuck in this little world of four Mayan states and six(ish?) Nahuatl states. I keep on restarting because the amount of possible options is so narrow that in ironman, it feels like any setback I face in unifying before the Europeans arrive will just be fatal. I am learning a lot about the game mechanics in very frustrating ways - I entered what seemed to be a pretty easy war, and then the Aztecs hired conditori and just stomped me, and I tried to take a province off one of the other states, but they'd lucked into some crazy good general and I ended up massively in debt from mercenaries in order to learn that it was a general I couldn't really beat.

I'm mostly trying to do this Maya run because I already did it on non-ironman, and I think that the super narrow field of play and how all the countries are set up make mesoamerica an interesting sort of puzzle, but is this just sort of the nature of Ironman? That sometimes the simulation just spits out a problem that can't really be solved, and that the really hard starting countries (like the native americans) involve a lot more restarting? Does anyone have any advice? I have the initial unification of the mayan states and conquering the zapotec down to a consistent science, but beyond that things get a lot more messy depending on what the Nahautl states are doing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Remember that Nahautl vassals tend to hate their overlords and if their liberty desire is over 50% they will only sit in their country rather than help out.

And remember that Aztec's have better morale because of their religion; you will want the 10% infantry combat ability as soon as possible to help mitigate that.

I did not know either of these, thanks for the help!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Change the soldier's animations so they sit down at low maintenance and sorta slouch around instead of marching, like a very tired Sim.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Imperator Rome and the upcoming revamp of Stellaris both have some sort of dynamic trade system so I guess whatever Eu5 has will probably develop based on how those games handle it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

New dev diary. Catholic Iberian nations can establish religious orders in states, which give them some bonuses. You can now expel minorities, so by culture converting one of your own provinces you can boost settlement speed in a new colony province, but when that province is fully colonised it will have the culture and religion of whatever minority you 'kicked out' of your own province. There's also a lot of new provinces and tags in central and north America and the Caribbean. Will be interesting to see if the religious reform mechanics for the mesoamerican nations are also adjusted, because the province requirements for them are balanced around the current number of provinces in mesoamerica.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I think in the early game any boost to settler speed is really useful in grabbing land before anyone else does, so maybe it will make an interesting tradeoff where later on colonies created in this way will be more unstable and prone to independence.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

You also can't have colonies or trade companies (iirc) if your capital is in a colonial region, for some bizarre reason. Is it a technical limitation or just an oversight when trade companies were implemented?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

ilitarist posted:

How do you think colony region/trade company region system could be enhanced without a major rework?

It might make sense to allow you to have a trade company or colonial state anywhere outside of your continent. Perhaps a trade company is only possible in trade nodes that flow into your trade capital (and then changing trade capital is a scary can of worms) and colonial government gets created if you get too many off-shore provinces in the region?.. It might also make sense to have those features locked behind ideas like expansion or trade. Without them you have a relatively useless and vulnerable land that only sends you some tariffs and trade.

It might not work well with a current state of trade companies because I think they're in general more beneficial than colony states.

I would just have a "maximum distance from cored province" calculation instead of doing it via the existing colonial regions and continents approach. Territory outside of that maximum distance you can't administer directly, and you have to own it either as a vassal, a trade company, or a colony. Replace the colony mechanic where five provinces automatically transform into a colony into one where the provinces not in a colony or a TC just don't give you any benefits and don't increase your "administration range" or coring range, and then players can just choose whether they want a trade company for financial benefits of a colony for more balanced financial and military benefits.

Then have it also be possible to re-integrate them if you, say, made an Indian trade company as a European nation and later conquered far enough east to bring that TC into "direct administration" range. Colonies just sort of become vassals that you make yourself via the colonisation mechanic, but with some sort of AI jiggery to make sure that when the Spanish conquer Central America and so on, they end up with those regions as colonies, rather than retaining the Aztec and Mayan states as vassals. So the AI would always conquer those lands directly and take provinces, rather than conquering to vassalise.

I don't know how feasible it'd be to code any of it, though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Is it better to go for longer or shorter terms when you do government reforms as a republic? I can never remember. Because shorter gets you to a 6/6/6 faster, but you have to spend more monarch points topping up RT by keeping them in power.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

The best way to handle colonization in the americas involves getting nestled right up to european colonies before they're colonial nations, and as soon as they form the CN you beat their face in and take their stuff. You'll need some colonization action of your own but if you start in the americas most of the religions can get a free colonist through religious reforms. You'll want to be mopping up most of your goals by the time the euros are showing up though, because you get the smallpox and measles and poo poo and that is basically a period of time where you're hosed if you want to do anything militarily.

I enjoyed going for the sun god achievement a good amount myself. You've got a decent mix of nations so you get some diplomacy options, nice mission tree to work through, strong territory. If you can knit up the other incan nations and be mostly done with reforms (use mercenaries before tripping the reform, your gold mines are a ton of dollars even with the penalty and manpower is a huge issue) by the time the euros finally get across south america to you you'll have time to get over small pox and poo poo without them stomping you. Run colony tendrils towards the new CNs and even with a tech disadvantage you should be able to swamp the small armies the CNs can field.

If you've got your own colonial nation you'll want.. uh.. the espionage tree because it lets you forge claims for your subjects, so you can keep expanding through them. Also espionage+economic gives you a ton of support rebel efficiency along with the extra income to spend doing it. I've had some pretty successful wars happen from generating a stack of troops and/or peeling off isolated provinces (if the country can't get troops to the province to displace the rebels, they'll eventually win by default), or having rebels cause enough debt/occupied provinces to keep a nation from honoring alliances with my real target.

Honestly my biggest issue with being based in the new world (also with a lot of the random new world setups) is based around running into the number of states limit. You can't create a new vassal state until tech like 23 or something, and since there aren't cores on stuff there are some less options for making vassals and such. Another thing that I learned was that if you want someone to have a specific religion, you should just have an extra war with them to force religion: forcing a vassal to change religion costs a ton of liberty desire that takes forever to decay.

I tried a mesoamerican game to see what it would be like post Golden Century with all the new provinces, and despite having no visible European colonised provinces anywhere in my known world, Castille got permaclaims on everything I own through missions and is currently planning to declare war on me, which feels kinda garbage. Like mesoamerica is hard enough anyway but at least before Golden Century the way the reform system worked, the Europeans needed a bordering or sea-bordering province to fabricate claims so you'd have a chance to rush up there and reform before you got completely flattened by the Euros. Now I don't even have enough additional states to do that even if I had a euro nearby, and I gotta bite the bullet against Castille and reform after they've conquered half of my land and/or taken my gold provinces and put me thousands of ducats in debt from war demands. I closed the game when I got the warning that they were planning to invade, though, so maybe it won't be so bad lol (it will definitely be bad).

I had a similar issue playing in the Philippines too, where Spain just gets permaclaims on the entire region and suddenly I'm staring down the barrel of the biggest European power. The deck is stacked enough towards the Europeans as it is, this feels a bit excessive.

EDIT: Looking it up, there's a cheese strategy for reforming early. As an Inti/Nahautl/Mayan state you convert to animism through war with one of the animist tribes. Because its your religion preventing you from embracing institutions, not your government type, you can now spawn and embrace feudalism and the renaissance. Then you core and release an animist tribe to change it to your government type, then share institutions with it. Then you convert yourself back to Inti/Nahuatl/Mayan, do all the reforms, and then modernise your religion through your neighbouring (former?) vassal. Apparently the easiest way to convert is to either capture the province that is a holy site for that religion, which gives you the event to switch to it, or just win a war with a state with the correct religion and then have them enforce religion on you in the peace deal.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 15, 2019

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I did some cursory reading up on it and the pan-south-slavist Illyrian movement in Croatia starts in the 1830s, so just after the end of the game, even if it was (as previously mentioned) very much a reaction to Austro-Hungarian internal politics. Since German and Italian unification also happened after the end of the game, I think it wouldn't be so bad to have Illyria as an ahistorical formable nation for the Balkans, and Illyria is more period-appropriate name than Yugoslavia. It would be fun to have a formable to work towards in that region, and it's not like the game doesn't have old/ahistorical formables like Ruthenia and Scandinavia in already to represent what-if scenarios. I think in the same way that the Italian flag in EU4 is the earlier flag used by the Napoleonic client state because it's closer to the era of the game, Illyria would probably be a better tag for a unified South Slavic formable rather than Yugoslavia, because it's the older and more period-appropriate strain of the same pan-nationalist idea.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

When I said "artificial construct" I meant in terms of "doesnt have a shared language" like many modern states do (like Italy and Germany; I know everyone in France speaking French as we know is a pretty recent phenomenon). Italy also has the whole "The Lands south of the Alps" thing going, and Germany has the HRE thing going; a Balkan state where Yugslavia is has neither of those kinds of things going on/history to look back to. I understand the philosophical sense of "All states are artificial constructs" though.

The linguistic situation is actually exactly the same as in Germany and Italy. Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin are all mutually intelligible and have been classified as dialects of the same language and as distinct languages, depending on politics, historical context, and individual positions. I think it might actually be less linguistically diverse than Italy or Germany in this regard.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I had a fun tall Sweden game recently where I converted to orthodox and sniped a bunch of HRE provinces when the league war fired. And the missionary strength bonus from patriarch authority means I don't have to dump a bunch of admin into religious ideas.

If you start a few years after the 1444 date you don't have to sit around for decades lining up your independence allies either, so you can eat novogrod immediately and stop Russia from forming.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I have been trying to do a Dithmarschen game and uh, is the HRE like... good, from a game design standpoint? I understand that starting as an OPM is always going to be a harder option, but it's really like pulling teeth to put so much "wait for AE to cool down" time into a game where conquering other people is the only thing you really do. Like, the last two attempts I bailed on because in one, I got coalitioned by a bunch of small states + Holland's ally, England, when my allies were all busy at war, and that was over vassalising a 3 province country when I had claims on all three provinces. Then in a recent game I took East Frisia at the start, got warned by Denmark, and just had to sit there for twenty years not being able to do anything at all.

Is there something else you're intended to do while you wait for the AE to cool down, or are you just meant to sit there on speed 5 for ages? I get that it's simulating a real historical political system to some extent, but it's really, really boring, it's not really challenging anything but my patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

buglord posted:

Thanks for the pointers for tall play everyone. I like doing tall because I don’t have to about the micro hell that is war. I’m surprised there isn’t a mod that lets the AI take over your armies for you. I much prefer HOI4’s frontline mechanics but I know that’s pretty historically inaccurate.

I always just pick up a couple of marches or vassals, with the changes to state limits they are pretty much mandatory anyway. Set them to siege focus and they will do all the boring work of taking or retaking provinces while you can focus on dealing with enemy stacks. But if you don't like war then EU4 is a very unsatisfying game, all of the non-war stuff is very shallow and just designed to give you bonuses for your war efforts. It's a war game, even if it sometimes talks like it is a broader 'historical simulation'.