Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finnish Flasher posted:

I just finished my first game as Castile/Spain, chose it because it was recommended for noobs, it was fun but I had no idea about ideas/expansion/anything and the whole game was just all over the place.
What countries would you guys recommend to learn specific mechanics? I started a new game as Ottoman where I'm just focusing on expanding as fast/efficiently as possible by feeding vassals and conquering land myself and taking ideas that support that. What countries should I play after that? I'd like to play some countries that I can focus on one or two mechanics at a time for example, trade, colonies, HRE, religion etc

Poland is a nice one to play, the early game is slightly trickier than Ottomans or Castille but your still the most powerful regional player if you choose to PU Lithuania, that said once you've consolidated your position the game becomes much more fraught. Your very strong and have access to really good cavalry but your surrounded by powers just as strong or stronger than you, and you have to be very careful about when and who you go to war with. You might win a war with Muscovy/Russia but if it costs you all your manpower and the Ottomans come a knocking your gonna have a bad time. I'd recommend turning off third rome if you play as them though cause giving Muscovy such a huge edge against yourself when your still new is probably a bad idea.

Vijanygaar is a good choice for a newbie out of Europe. They're the most powerful Indian country at the start. but they're not so powerful as to make it a cakewalk. Once you've united India you can either head east for colonozation fun or try and take the middle east or africa, Either way your in a pretty central position.

Austria can be fun if you want to play around with the HRE mechanics. Being the emperor alleviates some of the worst parts about being in the HRE and gives you quite a bit of Diplomatic leverage. Which is good because both France and Ottomans are probably going to be out for your blood and even with Hungary you're most likely going to be weaker in a straight up fight. The religious wars can also turn into a complete clusterfuck so that can be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fuf posted:

Is there a good country for building tall with minimal war-making? Like if I just want to be a little merchant republic developing my provinces and getting rich as gently caress but not really expanding or having to manage wars.

The Netherlands, or anywhere in northern Italy are basically made for that type of game. Be warned no matter how much trade and development you have the game is balanced in such a way that large empires are still going to be able to kick your poo poo in. And since Republics are capped in absolutism unless you switch governments you're always going to be crippled in the latter parts of the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Can you not blockade straits anymore? I just had Naples slip 20k men across the Messina straits that my nanny was guarding and destroy my guys besieging Sicily. I really couldn't afford to lose those men over loving Corfu.

And where exactly are the Continental regions. I'd think holding the balkans and Anatolia would be enough to get the two continent splendor thing

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 21, 2017

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I suppose that makes since for gameplay reasons.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

uPen posted:

Hover over their icon on the warscore screen, it'll tell you if they're upset and why.

It won't tell you when they join in on the promise of land, but won't actually take any of the land you offer, go gently caress yourself Saxony.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Okay thread I have a question. It's 1600 or so and I'm the Protestant Prussian Emperor and I'm wondering. Should I dismantle the HRE and form Germany or should a roll with it and reform the HRE. The first hundred years were pretty touch and go, but after Austria sent a eighty thousand men to die in russia while I sieged out all of Germany in the Religious wars, I've become the strongest power in the game by far and I honestly don't have a real goal anymore than to keep bullying Austria and to add more land to the HRE.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

Trying for the Karaman -> Rum achievement and I've got a way better start than I could imagine. Ottomans picked their first war against Venice/Hungary and friends and got themselves 100 percented and forced to release basically every core they controlled, including my 4. So I allied Byzantium and waited for the Mamluks to declare on the Ottomans and dogpiled them. Of course the Mamluks are still worthless and peaced out after like a year for 1 province.

Byzantium and I destroyed the Ottoman navy so I trapped all their troops on the European side, let them force Byzantium out so I didn't have to give them any land and then took everything I could without causing a coalition of all the other Muslims around me.

Currently the Ottomans are -33% in a war against Wallachia and Crete :lol:

Don't take your eyes off the bastards. I reduced them to an OPM in my Polish game, took my eyes off the area for twenty years and suddenly they control all of Anatolia and the Levant again. You have to treat the Ottomans like Rome treated Carthage burn them to the loving ground and salt the soil, otherwise they're gonna be back to cause problems.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Thank you for the tips. I was also going to ask if there is any tips for playing Brandenburg? It seems fun but it feels quite weak and I get the inclination that it relies upon Poland not hating your guts. I am not used to being a duchy with only no money and a weakish army (at least initially) Is there anything to look out for or keep in mind?

Make sure to grab Danzig before Poland get's it. You have to become Protestant or Reformed to form Prussia which means you're going to have to fight Austria in the League wars, but until then make sure you stay on their good side so you can use them to deter Poland and Denmark from trying to start poo poo with you.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I seem to recall hearing a statement that they would not put any of the DLC on sale again, is that true?
Because drat I only have 4 of them and a lot of the time it feels like I'm shoehorned into playing certain nations because other ones are gimpy without their reworks.

There's a zero percent chance this is true.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can turn off lucky nations in the options.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The current combat system should be completely overhauled. It's a terrible holdover from EU3 (maybe earlier?)

I'd rather they try and tweak it, But keep the base the same. It works mostly okay in the broad strokes. And I'd rather have it then a mess of a system like CKII's.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

skasion posted:

You can't add provinces that aren't on the European continent, there's no way around it that I know of. This guy got 189 princes by catch-and-release, but even he can't add anyone who is nowhere near Europe, just games the system by adding provinces technically-in-Europe and then releasing them as princes and feeding them into gigantic worms, like Perm stretching to China, Dulkadir and Ramazan to India, etc.

There is some way around it because reman has a video where he made Ming a prince of the hre. You'd have to check his video for the details though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

That's theoretically possible, but you'd have to somehow put Ming's capital in Europe. You are a prince of the HRE if your capital is HRE territory, and only provinces in Europe can be added to the HRE. I haven't watched the video, though, so maybe there's some bug to add provinces outside of Europe somehow, in which case I think the strategy is conquer the capital province, add that province to the empire, return that province, then conquer whatever the new province is so the country's capital moves back to the old (now HRE territory) province.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPKPxf39494&t=229s
So you just have to force your capital to move by decision and then release them as a vassal. Seems totally pointless unless you're going for some gimmick run.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The fact they haven't even announced Crusader Kings 3 is making me very scared for how many more expansions they're going to try and wring out of EUIV.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jeoh posted:

Victoria 2 is 8 this year. it's crazy how much better CK2 was at release than V2. Remember when all Paradox games were essentially unplayable until the first few patches and hotfixes?

Now they become less playable every expansion! Really I'd count euiv as the breakpoint. Ckii at launch was weird and janky, it took until at least legacy of Rome to really start finding it's feet. Euiv came out of the gate smooth even if it'd feel really weird playing it today without forts and some of the other weird stuff they've added

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have 300 hours and I've never had a ruler with a six in any stat except playing as Prussia with military. But yeah for a game that takes place when the idea of nation states and democracy is developing they put way too much emphasis on a randomly generated dude. I usually don't like when they give bonuses to your rulers final stats, but perhaps in eu5 they could expand on that. Cap a rulers stats at like two so he can still have an effect but it's lessend and then have different government types confer different bonuses. Hordes and absolute monarchy would get bonus military power. Republics Diplo and so on. You could even change the bonus on a per party basis in republics giving them greater flexibility in exchange for having to manage party politics. Development should also happen naturally and over time. Bring in a simplified pop system make estates more similar to Meiou and taxes. End the game earlier so Vicky three starts earlier. Never try and make an expansion to fix China. Allow you to reverse trade nodes so everything doesn't always flow to Amsterdam. Raise coring costs significantly. Make it take longer and make autonomy a more significant mechanic. Put edicts in the outliner.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If I had my way I'd make attrition insanely brutal. Like 10% minimum if you're in a fully looted province with no adjacent control. You should have to depend on looting to survive outside friendly territory. Armies should also lose maximum morale proportional to attrition loss.

I agree, but they should also allow you to prepare. You can spend some mana to put an army on war footing before the campaign so you take less attrition for a few months and get bonus morale. Increasing attrition would be a massive buff to smaller more well developed countries like the Dutch. Right now they could never hold off a determined France, but if they flooded the provinces and the French army was taking 20% attrition then they'd be exactly as annoying to deal with as they were historically.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

skasion posted:

You can already raise attrition in your provinces with scorch earth. I have no idea if it does anything worth the trouble though. The last time I remember using it was as Muscovy trying to hide from the Golden Horde rush in EU3.

It's more useful to increase enemy travel time, so you can slip small stacks out of danger.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know playing as Holland and getting the entire HRE and Italy in a coalition against me when my only ally was Cleves might have been a mistake, but I think the Dutch would be proud seeing my ten thousand men stack wiped and watching their two hundred thousand occupy the provinces. I technically had a six to one kill to death ratio.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In my experience whatever side gets Muscovy as an ally wins. The other side will gladly send it's entire army to occupy Siberia while every German minor gets peaced out one by one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gold provinces are good stuff my dude

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Quoting myself because they did it AGAIN the second time round, the Ottomans are ultra hosed this playthrough, I think that they might be off map by 1500 :psyduck:

Never count them out. I've seen them reduced to a OPM only to come back a hundred years later with all of anatolia, georgia, and persia in their empire.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

I think this was intentional. If you add new systems in DLC then you’re bloating the game for sales, but if you add them on release and make them good in DLC then you’re improving the game and delivering what its fans want.

I really don't think paradox tried to put out a message of a game so they could spend years trying to fix it. It's far easier to believe that there wasn't a strong enough vision of the final product and the lead didn't reign in all the features that his designers kept designing.

Crusader Kings was a mess, but ckII managed to fix things and become quite the game. I have no doing that paradox can put out a good Stellaris 2 but they're going to have to throw out ninety percent of the first game to do it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's been a problem for a couple of patches now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your general was terrible, the enemy general had high maneuver so he probably didn't take the river penalty. You have way too much cav and not enough cannons. You should have a full combat width minus two of infantry, two cav at most for flanking unless you get cav bonuses like hordes or poland. And your whole back row should be full of cannons. Try and keep your forts on so your army tradition doesn't decrease and you'll be able to roll better generals and you'll get a bonus from having higher prestige which Spain probably does.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Forts don't do anything to help your armies, they just restrict movement until they're sieged down

They mean your always the defender so defensive forts are a great way to force a battle with the enemy in positive terrain.

Pellisworth posted:

Eh, artillery would have made a significant difference but in 1520 it's not that powerful on the battlefield. Artillery really gets monstrous around 1600.

Good point but it's good habit to have enough cannons especially as a rich nation like GB.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I love Victoria II but being able to March your armies through the uncolonized interior of Africa from Sokoto to Ethiopia is hilarious.

The way armies work is weird, wonky, and ahistorical but I prefer it to Vicky or ckii which has more depth and units but is way less intuitive and less fun

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gort posted:

Feel like I'm going to go down the rabbit hole with this one, but in what way are Victoria 2's armies "more intuitive" than Crusader Kings 2's armies? CK2's "Raise troops with two clicks, mash together into doomstack" is pretty drat intuitive, and Victoria 2's army system is opaque as gently caress.

I'm saying EUIV has simpler army management than CKII or Victoria.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Anyone else have to restart Ironman games a lot because you forget that you actually have to demand independence from an overlord in the peace deal?

No.

Yes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Mediocre posted:

Is the HRE meant to start the game in 1444 with 'Religious Peace'? That was the case in my current Brandenburg game and the religious leagues just... never fired. We had a heavy reformation and the empire is about 80% protestant now at 1656 but yeah absolutely no related events. Anyone can be emperor just fine and always has been. I only have graphical mods installed so I don't really know what's gone wrong.

Yeah don't gently caress with the start dates too much before the start of the game it messes up a lot of stuff

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Wait what the hell happens if you don't demand independence? Who would you be a vassal of?

I assume you need to become independent before you can demand anything else

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Do the AI regularly use Streltsy?

I'm pretty sure it's this. They hit the button as soon as they have forcelimit so they never have the chance to build cannons or horses.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is...is there really a country in southern Tibet called "U"?

Ü-tsang?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beamed posted:

The only thing which stops them is pirate hunting at 99% efficiency IIRC, which..doesn't cost as much as it sounds like, but isn't really cheap either.
Burning Tunis to the ground and salting the earth.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just go back a couple patches to when the Protestants barely came and reformed was almost always a no show

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I miss trapping their whole army on corfu, waiting til they're out of men and and in debt. And white peacing them so they get torn apart by revots

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Almost 400 hours in and I just had my first game over. Ardabil is a real rough start when ottos, qq, and the mamlukes all decide to be hostile.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's very easy to notice if you play in tropical regions. Forcing siege stacks to take 5 or 6% attrition per ticket adds up fast. Even if they need up draining their manpower drives up war exhaustion and strength of alliance modifiers which helps you take better peace deals.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Presumably moving your capital to Oceania to gain access to asian and African trade companies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

Ah, silly me. Thank you. Does the game actually explain that and I've just not been observant enough or is it something you're expected to research on the wiki? It feels like something which could be mentioned in a tooltip or small information box somewhere but I'm not certain.

It says right there in the peace deal summary how long the treaty will last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Otto's are always bullshit. Best way to do it if you can is to trap em on an island. Otherwise trick them into commiting to sieges and then breaking them by sacrificing a few men. While you siege down their holdings.