Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I wasn't sure if anything in this patch would be enough to get me back into the game after getting a little bored with it, but I think this is exactly what I needed. I really hope it works well and they add a shitload of mission trees in future patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I hate that all the diplo idea groups are so situational. I'm playing a game where I started as a Copt in Caucasia in a randomized map and just rampage through the middle east and not a single group was useful.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/euiv-development-diary-28th-of-january-2020.1316229/

Army strength is finally visible outside of the ledger!

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
For game balance and fun, alliances shouldn't be permanent, especially between countries that have the potential to be rivals.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I can't believe the country stats in the diplo window include Revanchism and Corruption instead of something useful like dev

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Larry Parrish posted:

They should add some policies or something to support drill gain cuz it takes so loving long unless youre the Otto's etc

There's a mod called Advisors Expanded with an advisor that gives a bonus to drill gain. It would be great to see more advisors in the base game to fill in the gaps for modifiers that are hard to influence, but it's probably safe to assume that advisor portraits would eat up too much of the art budget for that to happen.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
There are 11 portrait groups, times two with women. If you want to add just 6 advisors, that's 132 portraits. It's not about being able to afford it, it's that budgets and time are limited and there are probably more important and impactful places for new art. Though now that I think about it I don't know what the high priorities are for art in EU4.

Edit: maybe the simpler answer is that there's no need to add more advisors to the base game when mods already do a good enough job.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 4, 2021

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

ilitarist posted:

I'm not sure how to do that without making AI exposed and exploitable. But then again, it's EU4 strength to tell me that those guys would agree to an alliance if only I'd have 1 more point of etherial substance known as Diplomatic Reputation. So I guess a peace deal might be affected by "I don't even care about the stuff you're asking for" modifier to simulate limited wars. But then you need to make a price of declaring war higher so that player wouldn't just snatch the land other nations don't care for from everyone, and therefore you need to rebalance total war considerations... So yeah, not an easy thing to add.

Agreed, I like the idea of limited wars but the big challenge is that any limitations on the AI's ability to fully commit to a war have to apply to the player too, or the AI will become even more of a pushover than it already is. And I have a hard time imagining EU4 players embracing a system that forces them to accept defeat in wars where they're losing but could possibly still win by fully committing.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

TMMadman posted:

Honestly the best way to learn is to play some games despite not knowing what you're doing. I've always felt starting as a major country like the Ottomans/Spain/England/France doesn't actually help you learn the game because there is just so much happening that it's hard to figure out how to manage it all.

Strongly agreed with this. Watching tutorials will give you a decent baseline but EU4 just has way too many mechanics for a tutorial to cover all of them or for you to memorize them without playing the game. Hitting buttons at random until you know what they do is really the only effective way to learn imo. And there's no shame in saving often and reloading if/when you gently caress up.

yikes! posted:

EU4 might be older, but it's way better than the other two you listed. It's also not that hard to learn once you get going.

:emptyquote:

Magissima fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 18, 2021

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Fuligin posted:

this seems p bad though, which is kinda funny after last diary's statement of intent.

It's looking more like preemptive damage control now.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don't swedish workers in particular rely on strong unions because the government itself has barely and regulations on hours or wages? USA-looks-good-tier labour law?

sketch poo poo, laughs aside

I think it's kind of the inverse, where Sweden has such strong legal protection and support for unions that they don't need a minimum wage because almost every worker gets union-negotiated wages. And they do have a legal 40-hour workweek apparently

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Zeron posted:

If Leviathan was intended to be the final expansion and their plans were to fix bugs and wrap up...not delaying seems like an extremely odd choice. Honestly just gives me more questions.

It wasn't, he's saying that Tinto is going to do more expansions but they're now going to push back them back to prioritize bugfixes first.

edit: drat, beat by the OP himself

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Tuna-Fish posted:

I currently own all the major DLCs except for Emperor and Leviathan, and am jonesing to play some EU4 for a change. Which game version should I play? Or, is the correct answer "buy Emperor and/or Leviathan"?

Play on the latest patch and get Emperor and Leviathan when they go on sale. Or revert to 1.30.6 and play Anbennar.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

ilitarist posted:

Those tunnels are problematic. You can really make claims through them, the thing is it's hard to see which of those tunnels are in the underground net. They all look alike but only some specific ones can be used.

There actually is a subtle visual distinction. The verdant link provinces have extra spurs off of the sides whereas the normal gladeways are just point to point paths.

Edit: or maybe you're talking about the mountain tunnels in which case you'll want to look for apparent dead ends in the dwarven rails

Magissima fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 4, 2021

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Lum_ posted:

They work pretty well. You start out as a 3 or 4 province minor while faeries constantly screw with you and end up saving the draenei ruinborn from the Nazi elves (except the AI can't really pull off forming Aelnar).

(most everything on the continent are Eordand's vassals)

oh god so many rebels

It looks like you don't have the newest Eordand mechanic though, which is a portal between the Domandrod in central Eordand and the Deepwoods in the old world. It's only in the bitbucket build atm.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Maenad posted:

What's the 'lore' like? Having no anchors or preexisting emotional investment in the setting was always what put me off trying it.

It is a bit of a challenge starting out but ultimately it makes for a much much more effective setting than preexisting IPs because Anbennar is totally designed around EU4's mechanics, so there's not the same cognitive dissonance you'd get from seeing "Revolutionary The Shire" or whatever

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I think it's cool that Anbennar is developed in the open but allowing randos to shitpost in dev channels works about exactly as well as you'd expect and there's basically constant bikeshedding and relitigation of already decided issues from "idea guys" who don't know anything about game design but want to make some impact on the mod no matter how small

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

cock hero flux posted:

all the actual work seemingly gets done just by like, dudes submitting proposals to the lead privately and then getting approved and doing them so the dev channels are an apparently WAD sheet of flypaper for idea guys to stick themselves to so that they don't bother anyone who actually does anything.

There's still a fair amount of dev discussion and review that happens in threads but yeah I think you're largely right. It may be more of a reaction to the dev channels being overrun by shitposters since Anbennar has gotten more popular than strictly WAD though. They used to try to enforce that dev channels are for dev discussion but seem to have pretty much given up, partially because one of the senior devs who cared about the rule (and was an argumentative dick about it) went nuclear and quit over bad posting a while ago. I think they'd benefit from a bit more professionalism but hey it's modding, what can you expect

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

As someone who wants to get back into the game after a long hiatus I would like to mention that I appreciate your posting about your experiences as a new player. Its been great to read.

You should really try Anbennar if you haven't yet. I thought I was done with EU4 but Anbennar totally revitalized it for me. As much as I love the historical aspect of the game, it's so much easier to create a well-balanced scenario with tons of viable, interesting, and diverse starts when you're not beholden to real history

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

Why do people like playing Brandenburg so much?

Because historically they unified Germany. That doesn't necessarily make them fun to play in 1444 though

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

Also maybe because I played Verne which means I have a loving HRE being annoying blocking my expansion. What’s the Anbennar version of the ottomans

Indeed, Anbennar fixes a lot of problems with vanilla but they haven't managed to make playing in the HRE fun. Jaddari doesn't start as strong as the Ottomans but they can get there pretty quick

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Most EU4 "tutorials" on youtube are really just LPs in disguise

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
The much higher average dev means there are more heavy hitters for sure, but it's partially balanced by OP mission rewards, magic, and the relative ease of getting high stat rulers

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Detheros posted:

Auto siege needs work, lmao

Yes, and not just that. I really just want them to not go for provinces that are already under siege or even just above supply limit. As is if you put multiple large stacks on auto siege they'll end up sitting on the same fort dying to attrition, often while other forts sit unsieged

Also, I just recently learned that you don't have to select any target states for auto sieging. If you leave the list empty it'll just go for everything. I'm sure I'm not the only one who misunderstood that UI, especially since automatic rebel suppression doesn't work that way, annoyingly

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Poil posted:

I suddenly discovered that I had completely forgotten to turn off the +1% missionary strength edict I had left running in a state. For 150 years. :v:

Same but also with encourage development and institution spread, and in every single game :blush:

Or maybe it's worse that I sometimes dev without the edict because I don't feel like clicking 2-4 times to activate it and then inevitably forgetting to turn it off once the cooldown is done

The missionary strength and institution spread edicts at least should automatically turn off once all provinces are converted/have all available institutions. But I'm guessing if that were easy they'd have already done it. Throw it on the backlog for eu5, Johan

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

How about making a custom map where most provinces are islands

Try playing Mykx in Anbennar. It's kind of fun at times but gets very tedious, even with all the naval buffs they get

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

lamentable dustman posted:

Inno looking really good, I was sick of the eco/quant meta. Courthouses not coasting a building slot makes things a lot less annoying too.

And State Houses. Finally I can build all the paper, gem, and glass manufactories I want instead of having to tear down the ones the AI built to preserve precious gov cap. They should do the same for naval batteries. Good changes all around

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
There will be a Scandinavian flavor pack for missions and unit models. I'm not sure what that means for the non-Scandinavian trees like Poland though, maybe they'll be free?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

cock hero flux posted:

fun fact: the lich event is explicitly coded to not allow this: whether it succeeds or fails is determined when you start the project, which will take at least a decade to complete

And that's when you edit the event to always give the player a 100% chance. I've lost track of the number of missions and events I've edited because the requirements were unreasonable/required prior knowledge of the MT/chance-based/straight up broken

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-king-of-kings-recap-1-36-free-qol-features-new-monuments.1602564/

Hot drat, autonomous missionaries and notifications when edicts become unnecessary! More nice QoL changes too

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Jazerus posted:

hanzo hapsburg, of the kyoto hapsburgs

Europa Universalis 4: hanzo hapsburg, of the kyoto hapsburgs

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

JosefStalinator posted:

Has anyone tried the new post finem mod that's gotten some attention? Seems like a fun alt just deal but I'm not sure how fleshed out it is.

I just want more mission trees.

I played a game till like 1640 as Celtica, which has the biggest mission tree in the mod. It's pretty similar in scope to the vanilla GBR tree. It was a pretty fun campaign, but very easy. You have the absurdly powerful ability from 1444 to get neighbors as tributaries by war or (pretty easy) diplomacy and then early in the MT you can vassalize tributaries at 190 relations, which I used only lightly because it felt so OP. You get permaclaims in India and Southeast Asia which I don't think vanilla GBR does, so you can break in and even get a ton of land just by threatening war. You also get permaclaims on a good chunk of western and northern Europe of course. It's weirdly easy to conquer land in France and Germany because the dev is lower, religious fragmentation means less AE, and the HRE is in Italy. Lots of other changes like a different trade network (no end node in the channel) and a lot of new/replaced advisors. It starts feeling a little gratuitous, and the province names being different can be annoying. There are around a dozen tags with pretty sizable mission trees and a good chunk of them have unique government mechanics. It all seems to be pretty well executed and more polished than I expected for an initial release, so I'll probably play another game.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 2, 2024

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Orcs strong. The deepwoods got a bunch of new provinces in the bitbucket and a unified deepwoods can be pretty scary now. As Crathanor I declared war on a not even fully unified Tugund Darakh expecting to take a couple defensive battles in Daravan's Folly and win, but they handed my rear end to me at a numerical and terrain disadvantage and I was totally unable to prevent them from taking my line of inland forts. I only white peaced them by ferrying my armies between Gemisle, Bahar, and my coastal forts including Nathalaire to catch their smaller armies in sieges again and again until we both ran out of manpower. Later on I got better tech and crushed them. I didn't want land in the deepwoods so I didn't even get anything out of it but I had to eliminate the threat.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Johan's really been posting a lot on the dev diary threads.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-5-march-27th-2024.1647775/page-10#post-29502735

Johan posted:

If its my decision alone, achievements should ALWAYS require ironman.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-5-march-27th-2024.1647775/page-17#post-29502995

Johan posted:

[in response to a post saying achievements can be easily hacked]

Yes, and thats why the answer was not "It will be ironman only"

Well I'm happy to hear this even if it's not for the right reason (i.e. just let me have fun with the game the way I want to). I'll give Johan some credit though, he seems to be much less of a curmudgeon than he used to be given that this is the only curmudgeonly opinion I remember hearing from him on EU5.

A couple more dubs in there:

Johan posted:

Andorra is on the map.

Johan posted:

There is no lucky nations mechanic in this game..

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

there's a huge difference between alt-f4ing a misclick or bad rng, and loading back to redo a strategic decision from multiple years ago.

It makes zero difference, to you, for me to do any of those things in the privacy of my own singleplayer campaign.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I'm not mad at you. I just don't agree that it should matter to anyone whether ironman was enabled or not when I got an achievement. I'll admit I reread your post before the one I quoted and if that's not the point you were making then I didn't understand it right and still don't.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I see, I thought the "record whether it was in ironman" idea was to appease the "people who get weird about steam achievements" like me, while true hardcore players would show off that they get their achievements only in ironman. I largely agree with you then. I will say that achievements being locked behind ironman did cause me to play EU4 in ironman quite a bit, but now that I only play Anbennar I never play ironman or feel the urge to, so the restriction did force me to make a tradeoff between two aspects of the game I enjoyed and in that sense it does feel a little bit like "play this way or else" if you accept that the "or else" can be something minor like missing out on a small but fun feature of the game.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
All good :)

I agree that having at least a couple achievements require ironman would be a good compromise. Finish a full campaign in ironman, do a world conquest in ironman, declare war on a significantly stronger enemy and win in ironman

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

I would also like the ability to automate generals. Give them objectives and a bounding area and let them handle it. Would be a nice simulation for colonial wars, and can make it optional if people are unwilling to let the AI handle things.

I expect that we'll get at least as much as Imperator in this regard. In general I'm guessing that the main question when it comes to warfare is how much is it going to iterate on Imperator's systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Demon_Corsair posted:

At this point I’m starting to wonder if imperator was basically a trial run of eu5. Seems like a lot of the systems it trialed can map to some of the new features announced, like class based pops. I also saw a video that the levy/legion system could very easily map to a levy/professional army system.

I wonder if it’s the same bones for both games.

I would be surprised if there weren't a significant amount of shared code even outside of the engine and core paradox mapgame functionality. Iirc the map is built directly on Imperator's and from what Johan has said it seems like the army supply system will be essentially the same or very similar to the implementation from Imperator, which is why I think there's going to be a lot of overlap in all of the related mechanics. I'm curious to see how far that goes and if we get something like the provincial food/supply mechanic too.

edit: by shared code I mainly mean code copied from Imperator and heavily iterated on rather than directly reused

Magissima fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 29, 2024