Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Shu is what makes me laugh.

Just... big Shu over there. Somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Is there a mod as cool as Red Flood for EUIV? I don't have the cash to start on Hearts of Iron.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The only game where I used a lot of Cavalry was my Manchu/Qing game, through Banners.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I founded the Netherlands, and somehow control two Reformed Center of Reformation: one directly and one through my Vassal Luxemburg.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I had a lot of fun with Haixhi into Manchu into Qing. Not hard by any mean, but a lot of fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Eimi posted:

Hey, I'm looking to play a game as China, but I don't want to start as Ming, does anyone know of a working shattered China mod? Or some non Manchu way to reform China from the base start?

Start as Ming, release a bunch of Vassals, play as one of them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Why is embracing the Renaissance so drat expensive? I had to take out multiple loans. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

EDIT: after three Portugal games stalled due to learning pangs, I feel like I need a new recommendation for a beginner's nation.

My first really good game was with Mali, trying for the Abu Bakr II's Ambition achievement.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Apparently the Pirate Alliance trolled everyone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lol I bought the DLC early, I never do that.

Looks like I can have some fun before they patch stuff though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I started a game as Onondaga to try and form Iroquois and it's annoying to have to reinvite folks to my Federation all the time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Oh look, a patch.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/236850/view/3065239561538778636

The changelist is so big and some changes are so substantial it really looks like they've released wrong version yesterday.

Edit: after patch I get even more missing art in Tonga missions. Wow.

Aww man, if I read this right the last Federation reform doesn't automatically integrate all members anymore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aww man, if I read this right the last Federation reform doesn't automatically integrate all members anymore.

False alarm, it totally does. Just formed Iroquois in 1493 with my 50+ dev capital. :getin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just want them to not fix the Native mega-cities, they own.

The Iroquois cheevo is harder now since you have to form Iroquois first.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also, just be a native and abuse Tribal Development.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

pdxjohan posted:

Tinto has a CBA as well.

Please don't take away my native mega-cities. I love them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I love Leviathan and all the tremendous content it has given us.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nooo! My Cherokee game that was doing super well got the empty map bug despite me never using the continue button!

I wanted to no more trail of tears before they nerfed natives...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How do I switch to a military dictatorship for those amazing blessed leaders before they patch them out?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Caustic Soda posted:

Military Dictatorship is available for Milan. Trigger the Ambrosian Republic Disaster. Hire Sforza (you need rebels or to be at war for this). If he's been hired for more than 700 days, an event can fire to let him become dictator. When he's ruled for a year or more, he'll try to become duke of Milan. Overthrow him and replace him with a new dictator instead.

Alternatively, a custom nation could start as a Military Dictatorship.

Technically Switzerland can get such a gov't too, but only by going to war with the Revolutionary target, so.

I was hoping I could use that with any nation, but a Milan game sounds fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jazerus posted:

milan is really good. probably the minor in the best position to snipe byzantium (as long as you start scum a couple times to be on good terms with austria and hungary you can just march straight there) and either the dictatorship or the ambrosian republic are cool, unique, and fun

They seem to have fixed the super-rulers exploits. :negative:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cockblocktopus posted:

Your first post-Sforza ruler won't have insane stats (and possibly the one after that? I think I had to go through a couple guys before getting a crazy number). You also need to keep generals around; after your existing ruler dies, one of your generals takes over. If you don't have any generals then you get a generic leader with non-broken stats. I've only really seen the millions/billions of monarch points in Admin and Diplo, but you can typically get at least 30 military points as well so floating at least 5 generals shouldn't be a problem.

Also all your generals-into-rulers will start at like 102 years old so you'll have a new guy come to power every 18 months or so.

Huh, gonna continue that game then.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Anyone try the new monuments?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm trying Majapahit but I need to save and qit to get that disaster going lol.

Is it possible for Sunda to not hate you at the start of the game?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Aww man my super good Majapahit game isn't viable with latest patch.

Then again I can do better this time restarting. I was behind in tech. I always end up behind in tech.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stayed up way too late playing this dumb game. Got a fairly decent game going as The Knights.

How does one find the Water of Life for the Mission Tree anyway?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TheFlyingLlama posted:

assuming you have el dorado and you don't have the entirety of south america discovered, use a conquistador with the mission "hunt for the seven cities". It can but isn't guaranteed to find a province with the "water of life" modifier. If you have discovered all provinces in south america and haven't found one with the modifier, you just have to own all of the amazon area (In brazil, the area includes the province of Manaus that has a trade center) either directly or through a colony.

Sounds like a pretty difficult mission then.

I managed to survive against the Ottomans, even stole a few provinces from them by attacking while they were at war with Mamluks and taking early peace deals. Got some Greek provinces, Malta, and now some african provinces. It's pretty hard to expand/accomplish missions, but it's also been pretty fun. Money hasn't been a problem despite having negative cashflow for most of the game thanks to the ability to raid coasts, although I wish there was an easy way to know what coasts can be raided. Haven't been building much buildings, trying to save that 1000 gold to start the Parthenon. Having the ability to spend Papal Influence without needing to control the Papacy is amazing. Got four cardinals! Including, somehow, one on Barbados, which I'm still in the process of colonizing.

I'm trying for the On the Rhodes Again and King of Jerusalem cheevos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now I keep trying to restart a game as the Knights, ever since I hosed up my original one by fighting what should have been an easy war and then got owned.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm stalled in 1501, with big bad Ottoman breathing down my neck and me not able to ally any big power.

Should I restart again?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Turns out there's a time limit for Reforming the Kingdom of Jerusalem and I missed it by 12 years. :negative:

I did get the "On the Rhodes Again" achievement so not a complete loss.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I’m also playing Burgundy and managed to make France explode.

Any tips on how to become Emperor of the HRE?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

That depends on how bad you want to be emperor. Easiest way is to vassalize the electors, but each vassal elector tanks IA so you'll never pass reforms barring "add province to HRE" shenanigans. Otherwise, ally the electors, get into a war with the emperor and use the peace deal to break all of the emperor's diplomatic ties to the emperor. That should give you enough positive modifiers to win the next election.

Well, it's a mission. And I guess it will help with Agressive Expansion to get the rovinces needed to form Lotharingia.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got elected Emperor before fulfilling the mission to become popular lol.

I'm pretty boxed in by Agressive Expansion though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I kinda wanna play Japan now that there's three whole monuments on it. Hard to choose a clan though. Or maybe do the cheap exploit of time-travel Ashikaga with super-vassal swarm.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Koramei posted:

Also zero monuments, right next to those three Japan gets. The dev thing at least has a clear reason (if Korea is too strong it conquers the Jurchens, not that the latter ever actually do anything anyway, but it still pisses people off) but to be honest I'm a bit salty about the monuments thing. It's not like there aren't a bunch of buildings on the peninsula that could qualify, and for it to be so lopsided in a timeframe where the two countries were basically peers more often than they weren't is more than a little ridiculous.

But then one of the current devs outright said that the reason they haven't given Ming a mission tree is because nobody on the team is interested in China :wtc: which seems like a really stupid reason to neglect the largest country in the game to me, but hey. Interests are what interests are and a lot more people in the West care about Japanese history than Korean (or Chinese, it seems), historical realities be damned. Korea was literally going to get 0 changes beyond the unit packs for the east asia expansion until I scrambled to make a Korea suggestion thread, so I'm not holding my breath for anything more during the rest of this game's lifecycle anyway. At least there was the Manchu patch.

Anyway it's not like it's the only badly depicted part of the map.

Wtf China is the Final Boss, you don't neglect that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just checked and none of the sub-saharan African nations have custom missions, despite many having their own unique ideas and cheevos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

"Nobody on the team is much interested in sub-saharan Africa :shrug:"

You'd figure the nations that got achievements would be natural choices for custom missions, but what do I know.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got Mary of Lotharingia cheevo thanks to a Queen Regency.

Neat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Started a game as Lithuania and now it's 1505, I got both Muscovy and Poland as PUs, I'm number 2 world power behind Ming and I'm still a Duchy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Groke posted:

Cool. Did you flip Orthodox? Are you going to form the PLC, or integrate Muscovy and form Russia instead?

I flipped Orthodox, but I'm gonna form the PLC for the Un-Commonwealth cheevo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Had to purposefully lose some wars to get Poland under 32 Cities to form the Commonwealth. Unfortunately, my government rank went up to Kingdom so I can't get that super Duchy cheevo.