Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Patch and Expansion is now live :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Everyone gets it, unless you mean the Timurids "old & dying Shah" event

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

skipThings posted:

Put your old expansion on sales again you greedy fucks :(

But how am I going to afford my Ferrari otherwise :(
e: though seriously I think bunch of them are on sale on our paradoxplaza store

second edit: also why is it so quiet, is everything okay with the patch and expansion? :ohdear:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 16, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

sudo rm -rf posted:

does zoroastrianism still exist somewhere in the new patch

Yeah I think it is in Yazd. Neither me nor Trin Tragula would remove the one true faith from the game. Praise be Ahura Mazda

QuarkJets posted:

FYI I wanted to browse all of the EU4 expansions, and setting the filters in your store to Europa Universalis and Expansion did that, but it also somehow put a CK2 expansion (Jade Dragon) in that list so I'm guessing that the CK2 expansion is mistagged

Ah at paradoxplaza? Thx I'll get it fixed

Groogy fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 17, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

AnoHito posted:

If I had to guess, it's probably something to do with them thinking they're troops that just lost a battle and assuming the AI behavior of chasing down retreating troops.

Pretty sure it is this, you get the lowest possible morale so the AI is going to go "Oh boy wiping time!"

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Would be cool in a case like that where they would just break apart and form a Peasant Republic

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Muscovy (especially if you have Third Rome)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Most of my overnights at work also show Mamluks eventually getting their teeth kicked in by the Ottomans or the QQ about 90% of the cases before 1550 at the very latest.
From what I've seen though Ottoman have a really strong affinity now days for Russian/Lithuanian land though compared to the south & east routes it used to take.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Godlovesus posted:

from playing a full venice merchant republic MP and making me realize some issues/bugs with them.

If it is actually issues (depending on how you define an issue) the proper place might actually be in the bug forum.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'd like to see the Ottomans get more aggressive in the Balkans and reach for central Europe like they did historically, but I don't know how you encourage the AI to do that in its current framework without causing the Ottomans to implode in coalition wars and junk. Which I guess is also kind of historical, actually?

Missions are usually pretty good at guiding AI to do stuff

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 24, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

If you think that the game becomes a slog around the 1700 when the imperialism kicks in? Don't worry we got u fam

https://twitter.com/SirVogelius/status/933980732778741760

x-axis is daily ticks compressed into years, the y-axis is how many seconds spent.
If you like statistics and numbers here's some for you

Before was Average (ms): 197, Median (ms): 176, 90th Percentile (ms): 300
After was Average (ms): 133, Median (ms): 104, 90th Percentile (ms): 249

e: Also before someone points out that our games don't do multicore or something, the AI_ACTOR part is all done over several threads (think it is double of the amount of cores you have if I remember right)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 24, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Working on that right now actually. Well one potential cause for it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Godlovesus posted:

Well it’s a bit of both. And because my errors were from last patch I don’t know if it’s applicable.
The best example I have is trade cities

A merchant republic can create trade cities that are supposed to never leave your trade league.

However, you also can’t expel or kick them out. And you’re meant to have a limit of one trade city per trade node.

Here were a couple of issues:
1. missions and score cards will sometimes still spawn regarding their conquest of your trade league. That’s really bad because you can’t expel them like a normal trade member so the mission becomes useless.
2. Trade cities would leave your trade league and go to war with you if they were allied with a country you wanted with (fixed partially because trade cities can’t make alliances) but! Trade cities would also leave you for Ming tributary or vassalization requests. WAD?
3. Trade cities leaving your league for unknown reasons. I had created trade cities just ditch me at times. I think sometimes my AE/OE/Dip rep was low sometimes but they’d just leave.
4. Creating more than one trade city per node if the previous trade city you made left your league. Follow up from 2 but essentially my Philippines had 3 trade cities because they kept leaving for ming tributary until I smashed ming and could reinvite them again

I mean suggestions I get but are these bugs or just misplaced design because MRs are ancient

Design it self can have bugs. It's not limited to programming. Report these issues on the forum. Sorry I'm not going to remember this on Monday. Also if you find a sick joy in telling me what I do is poo poo, consider applying here. https://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs/46502-qa-tester

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

New Butt Order posted:

Is this an actual problem? I thought most people just quit by 1700 because they've been the world's dominant power for 200 years and are just bored.

Yes it is? You do know most people are not you right?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

How much Paradox manpower is spent making sure each possible start date is historically accurate, because they should probably lay that guy off, sad to say

Depends on how you see it. We pretty much have 0 people dedicated to that, including the 1444 date. But you could also argue that it is 100% of the manpower since everyone kind of collectively contributes to that.
It's a bit of a superposition thing here, everyone gets the boot and no one does at the same time.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

disjoe posted:

The expensive and numerous DLC issue is most acute in EU4 though, for a variety of reasons

Also who gives a poo poo

Pretty sure that's CK2 though. It's a side effect though because we didn't loving think people would buy out stupid loving poo poo five years later....

gently caress sake stop buying our poo poo so we can start on the next iteration of the game you damned junkies! It's an old thing we've said since release of CK2, but honestly every DLC release show us that more people play the game.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 29, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

That's why I can't afford instant noodles anymore you heartless bastard :argh:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

We didn't have time to fix it for the 1.23.1 patch but should be done for the next one.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I think BUR has an exception to the dutch rebels or something like that. You can also avoid it by culture switching to Dutch.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

oddium posted:

burgundy deffo did not have an exception from dutch rebels when i did Burgundian Conquest in 1.18

Might be mixing together my memory with super early version or EU3....

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Koramei posted:

Pretty sure Groogy has access to the actual real figures that say exactly what dates people play until rather than just relying on hearsay, though.

Without delving too deep into it(since some time since I looked at it), it is big enough percentage of started sessions reporting a later start date from a save to a degree that it can't be ignored. Also the percentage go way up if you only count multiplayer games. Either way it's not something we can just "Meh who cares about the 1700"?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

We already have a topic decided for the next dev diary but maybe in the near future.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

but I like discontent sown :(
Used it a lot in MP

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Didn't have time to get it fixed and tested for this hotfix patch so it had to be put in the next one. 1.24 should be soonish

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

If I remember the math correctly you are a bit off on the numbers of it being "only 4-5 ducats a year"

Trade goods earn you money twice, so if we assume a 10 dip dev province with an effective local prod efficiency of 150% (somewhere around mid tech) and about somewhere around 50% trade efficiency and if we let assume everything is perfect we end up with something in style of:

Trade value: 7.5 ducats
Production: 250% * trade value = 18.75 yearly
Trade: 150% * trade value = 11.25 yearly

This is though with everything optimal and you have no unrest, no occupations, no devastation etc. etc. etc. So if everything is absolutely perfect you should be paying back both the Counting house and the manufactory in like 30 years maybe?

e: also realized 10 dip dev is a bit too high for really a comparison. 5 dip dev would give us 40 years?
e2: and that also shows the power of the manufactory, because of the flat +1 it offsets the "payback" time. If you want to be really pedantic though you could go for specifically the difference that manufactory provides but it is still affected by the counting house so it would still be something like 80 years. (including counting the counting house)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 3, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

Basically everyone is down with MP being a thing.

This thread gets annoyed when Monarch Points (MPs) are referred to as "paper/bird/sword mana" because we're pedants and that is extremely dumb.

They should properly be referred to as ADM/DIP/MIL points. This isn't an RPG, there's no mana, what are you even talking about.

There is also an effort to distinguish us from the official Paradox forums which tend to be full of weird nationalists and reactionaries.

edit: see also, referring to the Ottomans as "kebab"

I call it paper/bird/sword mana because it makes /gsg/ angry whenever they see devs refer to the monarch point system it by their joke.

Angry Salami posted:

(Seriously, a playable Maori nation would be really cool...)

+1

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also just gone official today but starting next year I'll be helping DDRJake out in dumbing down this game for casuals.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It's marked as unique yeah so don't think there is a way to cheese it either

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

StealthArcher posted:

I hate to be the guy posting esoteric errors in modding here, but the last couple of times I brought it up on the euiv boards it just got ignored and buried.

Really I'm just hoping Groogy sees it :shepface:

Specifically, I have a full map replacement going. It has all the files done, all the areas, super/regions defined, and loads with a sole error of a missing province (which incidentally if I create the last province in the defines with the color I say in there, it will always consider it an invalid color. If I then reduce max_provinces and blot that original last province out with neighbour colors, the new 'last' province will now show all of it's pixels as an invalid color regardless of no changes being made :suicide:) but that doesn't seem to be the choke.

The game loops forever on initializing maplogic, the setup.log ending at the superregion declaration, right before it would usually say map.cpp's time. Checking out eu4.exe in a debug trace, it seems to loop around a function called ZwReadFile, and a file that keeps coming up in trace is "face//band_reorg_blue.dds". Essentially it seems to go a few functions deep, hits a block, reverses out and then begins all over, looping infinitely.

I just want to load this goddamn map already I've been trying to do this at varying points over 8 months now when I get back to it :suicide:

Not exactly sure what you are doing wrong, send me the mod instead zipped. Will give you the email in a pm

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

pls take screenshots with the ingame tool button F11 :ohdear:
Otherwise really nice. Lion of the North is on my list of achieves to do but I played Sweden so much in EU3 so hard to motivate

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Cheen posted:

Thanks for making up for my mental deficiencies.

I also wrote everywhere it was coming this patch. Think I even did it in a response to you :(

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Another hotfix https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hotfix-1-24-1-is-now-live-checksum-0625-not-for-problem-reports.1060639/

quote:

Good day! We are right now deploying a hotfix to deal with some of the bigger issues encountered by players. This fix will be automatically applied to your game through Steam. If you do not see it downloading, then restarting Steam should force the fix to be downloaded and applied.

- Subject Nations can now seek support for Neutral nations again (-1000 modifier is only used for "unknown" attitudes)
- The decision to adopt Iqta Government is no longer available for Ottoman Governments or Feudal Theocracies.
- Multiplayer crash fixed
- Fixed crash caused by AI trying to raise Janissaries in lost states.
- Fixed ReferenceObject not getting removed form storage (crash fix)

Hotfixes are usually aimed at taking care of high impact issues quickly, in this case crashes, Ottomans shooting themselves in the foot and the lack of support for Subjects. We will continue to keep an eye on bug reports coming in and continue our work in general up to Christmas Break and beyond.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 14, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

If memory serves right it also dynamically puts together the rulers title depending on what land the Ottomans control when that event happens.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I know a bunch of goons that are most probably coming to pdxcon in may but I am curious if there's some here I usually don't talk to? Let me know I'll make sure you have a shot to tell me to my face why my game is bad.
e: be warned though I am most probably gonna show you pictures of my hedgehog like that annoying distant relative you know that always shows pictures of their newborn baby.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 23, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

It's a relatively new mechanic, got added like a year ago maybe? Tolerance was really bad before that change.

No I'm pretty sure that's a thing since forever

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 27, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah, I was looking at something before vacation I can't remember now that might have changed a bit on how reformations play out, something that was introduced in CoC.
After a lot of rest I can't remember what it was exactly. Either way I worked on it and asked betas for feedback to see if it plays out better over the Christmas.

e: Oh right think there was something making the AI waaay more likely to just force religion on anyone they don't want to demand land from. So France would help Austria keep the empire Catholic making it pretty impossible for it to get root.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Art of War is must have

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Flavius Belisarius posted:

yeah for sure. the ones i listed are the only ones i don't have

Oh I took it the other way around as the ones you had.
On El Dorado I really loved to play South America with all the new events added there. Custom Nations is also super fun

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

You mean like the European diseases events in EU4?
As far as I remember from school the diseases went through the population really really quickly, like diseases usually do when there is no resistance. It devastated the population but it very quickly left only the resistant population left. The diseases didn't literally depopulate the Mesoamericas down to zero population..

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 6, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I didn't say not a lot of people died, in fact I said it devastated them. But it was through the population in about 2-3 years, which I was saying because that's about the timeline of our events as well. Diseases work horrifying efficiently and this is more caused by a "bug" than actual what a disease want to do. Essentially it snuffs itself out.

Cortez had started fighting with the Aztec Empire before the population started to die off though just as an FYI. He had already visited Tenochtitlan and Montezuma before that.The siege of Tenochtitlan doesn't come until like.... 3 years later I think since first contact? I'm not super good with exact dates.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

AG3 posted:

Please?

no