Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My current England game is pretty fun regarding Scandinavia. Sweden is big, bossy and strong, and Denmark has been eaten by Holstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

England is fairly good too. It’s pretty challenging at the start with France slurping up your continental holdings, and the war of the roses can be a bitch. But you learn some important things in the process, like more often than not, a lost war isn’t a game breaker for you. Also, the channel makes it super hard for AI to bring the fight to you, and the English navy owns the French anyway.

Coupled with a reasonably good position to start the colonization of the new world, and you have a good, safe country to use to learn the ropes.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Don’t disband armies! They work as a deterrent; if the ai sees your land without any armies defending it, they WILL attack. What you CAN do, though I rarely do, is lower the upkeep costs at the economy tab. Also check on your military tab and learn all that’s there. Especially good care should be taken to fully understand the force limit feature. Building an army bigger than the force limit allows (which CAN be done but generally shouldn’t) will make the milItaly expenses go through the roof.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

1792 start or bust.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Flavius Belisarius posted:

you loving madman

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever started a game later than 1453.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Killian takes us through the greatest challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpV3YtmyzfI

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I have friends in the Swedish gaming industry and once I found myself at a AW with a bunch of devs from a bunch of different studios, including Paradox. I met some important guy from there (dunno who) and told him I loved the concept of the historical games but I could never learn to play them due to bad tutorials. He said they were working on it. Sometime later EU4 was released and it was the first paradox game I learned to play. Didn’t even take long!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

So next immersion pack seems to be about England? Suits me, it’s the great power I play the most.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

You are also one of the better nations to forms colonial empire with, which can be enforced by the strongest navy in Europe.

For some reason I feel compelled to start colonizing the new world as a European power, which leads to me barely ever touching countries east of France.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

What a twist! Rule Britannia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMSub3DoD2M

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Drakhoran posted:

For me it spawned in 1527. This was after protestant and reformed had gotten 3 centers of reformation each.

But I assume it's best to stay Catholic until it shows up, if I want it? Like, I don't have to go Protestant first right?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

For 10 euro I feel it's more than enough in here.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

England is my go to nation when I want to chill out and build a power house economy without any realistic dangers.

I.e when I’m lazy.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

In one of my recent England games, the Ivory Coast is controller by Gelre.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/e_universalis/status/981094406622150656?s=21

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually can we just have the ability to set a timer on the game so that it pauses on a specific date? That would be extremely useful.

This is actually a drat good suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I really can't get around doing an effort playing as a HRE nation. That "Emperor gonna stand up for his babies" clause is such BS. I mean yeah obviously, but ugh.