Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
This is a nice OP and all but I think we all know what EU4 is really about. Complaining on the internet how terrible it is and what should be done to fix it.

Also, on the dlc:

Conquest of Paradise: Some stuff to make North American natives less boring, yay! But they're still boring to play. Also random new world. Pass.

Wealth of Nations: Adds some extra mechanics for Hindu and Reformed Christians. Adds some useful stuff to trading. Get it cheap.

Res Publica: Dutch Republic. Faction system for Merchant Republics which is mostly irrelevant, bunch of events for republics of all sorts. Get it cheap.

Art of War: New reasons to pick a fight with someone, things that make wars easier. 30 years' war. Get this.

El Dorado: Mechanics that make the Aztec, Maya and Inca nations more fun to play. Custom nation designer. Get it cheap or if you think this sounds really cool.

Common Sense: Develop provinces! Make yourself stronger by making your lands better! Spawn Institutions at will! Some other things! Get this.

The Cossacks: Estates. Attempt at modeling internal politics but is really a bunch of bonuses. New alliance system which sucks. Steppe Nomads can now get their Genghis Khan on. Some other stuff. Get it cheap, might want to turn it off sometimes.

Mare Nostrum: Trade leagues, which are useless. Condotierri, which are a mostly-useless gimmick in singleplayer. Pass.

Rights of Man: Your kings, queens and generals get a bit of personality with traits. Some things for sub-saharan African religions. Special government for Ottomans. Pass or get it cheap.

Mandate of Heaven: Let's break the game with the Mandate of Heaven mechanic! Ages, so you can stack more numbers on top of your numbers! Diplomatic macro's, which is legit amazing quality of life. Get it cheap, learn to hate Ming but never turn it off because the macro's are just so good.

Third Rome: Turn Russia OP! Spawn large numbers of Streltsy for free! Pass or get it if you like Russia.

Cradle of Civilization: Bunch of stuff for the Islamic world. New government types, new mechanics for existing ones. Ottomans becomes OP like Russia in Third Rome. Army Professionalism, so you can stack even more numbers on top of your numbers! Should you get it? Who knows!

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

RabidWeasel posted:

I might have just got lucky with the Timurids not exactly thriving but forming Persia seems much easier now if you get there quickly. The Timurids (any not any of their vassals) hold most of the provinces you need so if you catch them while most of their vassals are disloyal you can just completely ignore the vassal territory and bait the Timurid armies into attacking into mountains. You no longer need to fight QQ before forming Persia, so they can be a decent ally.

Forming Persia was not particularly hard to begin with. Start as Timurids, release and play as Persia.

The non-joke option was to start as QQ and eat through Timurids as it was tearing itself apart. Not exactly difficult.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

RabidWeasel posted:

I should have said while starting as a minor, but in any case QQ was always a poor choice for forming Persia as they were (and still are) disallowed from forming without changing their government.

This was more an annoyance than an actual problem, Imo, and the other options were not particularly shiny or easy (outside of releasing as Timmy's)

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

RabidWeasel posted:

Because it's extremely relevant to my most recent game: the state system is cool and good but it's so loving annoying when you're a duchy and only have 5 states allowed in the early game. It takes 300 development to promote to a kingdom, but you can easily be bumping up against the state limit with half of that. It makes the early game as some minors even more tedious because you can quickly get to a point where your returns from taking additional provinces go to virtually nothing since you can't state them.

This tends to be a problem with fast expansion in the early game and isn't only limited to duchies.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Tahirovic posted:

After playing a bit with that system I feel like it's bad, they should have had some sort of experience for troops instead, like in HoI4. All linked to the already exsiting army tradition.

Yup, I would greatly prefer hoi4's way of veterancy over this.

But what eu4 really needs in my opinion is a pop and migration system like vicky2. Doesn't need to be as complex as Vicky's, if simply because 90% of your population will be peasants, but it would go a really long way towards better modelling the social changes, migrations and internal politics of the time.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

The state limit ought to be a soft cap instead just like force limits. If you go above the cap, global state maintenance should increase progressively. Or maybe cause an increase to yearly corruption.

State limit is already a soft cap, you can perfectly well own clay you can't state yet. And if expansion outside your state limit is your thing, you would perhaps reasonably say "well then I'll just state the wealthy stuff to not break the bank", but stating gives a bunch of other benefits like more manpower and autonomy loss that will generally make it worthwhile to state even if it's at a loss.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Another Person posted:

Things about ottomans

Yea so byz and Serbia(but really just serbia) having a chance of forming so decent alliances has been around since cossacks or mare nostrum. And in case of byz, who really cares. I've seen serbia get alliance with hungary fairly often, but byz os still out of luck unless it's a player.

As for man power, yea you fight a bunch of wars early on as the ottos, but primarily against puny minors. If you lose lots of manpower fighting those you seriously need to step up your military game. The first reasonably large fight you should get into is either serbia with Hungary or aq qoyunlu with whatever they have as friends and those are again entirely manageable without burning through mp.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Is anyone here interested in a weekday eu4 multiplayer chillgame, on a european-friendly timeslot? Yes, if you're in the mapgoons server, I did blatantly steal Saros' idea.

The current timeslot I'm envisioning is wednesdays at 7pm GMT, starting 2 weeks from now.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Turned out there was enough interest in a weekday eurogame. If you want to play, sign up here. The game starts on wednesday the 4th of March, at 19:00 GMT. We'll play weekly, till we hit 1821.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

You can definitely start as a world power in eu4, it's called Ming. And there's also Timurids, but that's also a much harder start.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

There's a collapse mechanic, it's called disasters, you just rarely get to see them.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

World conquest runs are for suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Taking influence ideas for one vassal is pointless.