Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countzer
May 27, 2022
Ottomans are probably still a good choice. They got a big facelift in terms of content and unique mechanics but from my games any negatives don't really become relevant until the Age of Absolution (around 150 years into the game). You are still the biggest kid in the block, everyone is piss scared of you, you have the strongest early-game military and can expand towards multiple directions. I'd recommend that you don't go too deep into Europe due to the HRE, but you can eat the Balkans and big chunks of Hungary without much fear. I'd recommend conquering Byzantium and the Asia Minor minor states first, but make sure you leave any that might ally with the Mamluks for last. Once you consolidate Greece and Asia Minor you will be in a position to build & support armies large enough to trounce through the Mamluks and eat large swathes of their territory. The world's your oyster. Even if you make mistakes there's plenty of leeway to bounce back.

Another recommendation is Castille. It's a much more chill game. You are in a secure position as the strongest power in the peninsula. Add to that that Aragon has a very high chance to fall into a personal union with you (basically turning into a kind of vassal) and you don't really have to worry about external threats. The most you have to deal with is beating up Granada to finish the reconquista and rebels in a civil war. After that, you can just take Exploration ideas, chill and colonize the new world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countzer
May 27, 2022

MeinPanzer posted:

I've played this game for a long time intensely basically once a year during Christmas break when I stay with my parents, don't have any work obligations, and don't have much else to do. I still just have the base game, however, so if I wanted to get the most bang for my buck in terms of improving my game experience and being able to use strategy guides, which add-ons/expansions should I get? I've occasionally found that I've followed strategy guides in the past and found that I can't make use of certain mechanisms because I don't have some DLC.

Get the subscription. It's cheap and perfect for what you seek (a month where you get play EU4 once a year). The subscription gives you access to every DLC of the game.

Countzer
May 27, 2022

Detheros posted:

Also double posting because tying liberty desire to war exhaustion doesn't work because the ai LOVES to buy down their war exhaustion when they get above 5 and usually by the time you exhaust their bird mana you have a hefty call to peace exhaustion modifier

I wonder if it could be done like the changes to slacken recruitment standards. Much like how slacken recruitment went from being a direct payment of army prof. for direct increase in manpower, to yearly decrease for a montly boost to manpower, could make war exhaustion require a montly diplo tax for a montly decrease in war exhaustion. That way the immediate effect penalties don't go away, you need to be a bit more careful and plan ahead if you don't want to deal with it, and if you are losing badly all it will do is slow down the monthly increase as opposed to bringing the total down to a point you don't have to worry about for a few months again.

Countzer
May 27, 2022
Grey Eminence looking dope as gently caress

Countzer
May 27, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

so is victoria 3, any good?

Kind of.