Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I think I'm finally starting to kind of understand when I'm failing because I did the right thing wrong, when I'm failing because I did the wrong thing right, and when I'm failing because I did the wrong thing wrong.

A couple things that aren't completely clicking or that I haven't found a good test case for yet:
- How the poo poo do I figure out where to send my merchants, other than joining in the English Channel/Lubeck circlejerk or the closest option nearby? That's fine early with only two early, but later on when there's like ten and the bottom eight add up to a solid tenth of the top two it seems like I'm choosing poorly even given the systems railroading.
- When I get a "yeah everyone knows it's the cable guy's kid" heir late who doesn't have particularly good stats, is that just the time to use the otherwise-nearly-useless reform points to go republican rather than wait decades for a good king (to fix legitimacy) popping out a heir in his old age (because it's snapshotted at birth and Hero-King II (6/6/6) is still going to spawn with 30 and 50k Particularists in the field because Hero-King, First Of His Name (also 6/6/6) was a stablehand when he got laid?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

canepazzo posted:

For collecting, most of the time you want the furthest downstream node where you have the most trade power. You want your first conquests, outside of missions, to consolidate on that node, getting center of trade provinces from others. There are edge cases where you collect from more then one node but it's relatively rare. All merchants should be used to steer towards that node from upstream nodes, and consolidating those upstream nodes should also be your target.

For heirs, not sure which DLCs you have, but one of them lets you disinherit bad heirs for 50 prestige a pop.

So, just collect in my top one and then fill out concentric rings of transfer around it (I'm guessing order based on my volume)? That's honestly a lot simpler than I imagined it. :v:

I have that DLC, but maybe I was overvaluing prestige. 50 feels really drat beefy for a 100 to -100 measure, especially when rerolling through late in life for someone who can at least handle dynastic instability means an interlude without wars to fix it.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Is it possible to give input on the peace deal as someone who's been called into a war, without making a separate peace? I have the opportunity to eat Crimea off the Ottomans as a side effect of taking a Defender of the Faith call from Georgia, but I'd also like to leave them alive as an excuse to break truce when they get attacked.

Is my best option just to let them sink, then free them in the next war?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Wrote them off and kinda forgot about it while preoccupying myself expanding eastward (and discovering the Siberian frontier mechanic that could have had me colonizing 50 years early and 1k mana cheaper), had what seemed like great success because I didn't notice I went over GC and stopped being able to fully core, aided by the Russian capacity to just throw men at yearly rebellions.

Currently in the process of a 50-75 year hellwar series in which i kill my entire manpower, devote my entire economy, and lose most of the Caucasus solely to force alliance break on giga Gazikumukh, then try to eat it up so I can have an evenish 1v1 with the Ottomans. I did not heed the load screen warning that they were the most powerful faction, and thought surely Austria would do something and besides if my eastern year-round port was the Beijing-Port Arthur strip rather than Vladivostok I was probably doing fine. :saddowns:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Just tested this, can confirm. Huastec has Mayan (and is isolated diplomatically due to being surrounded by Nahuatl states). One No-CB war as soon as you can, and you can get a fully reformed religion in under one year of game time. Never got around to getting Sunset Invasion, maybe this is the patch...

How would I go about doing this? I can manage to take a neighbor, but the Aztecs inevitably stomp me for it long before the zealot revolt kicks off to force the conversion.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Ahh, I didn't even consider it that way. Thanks.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Is there a way to set home/interest points for units? I'm playing the extended timeline mod they're spotlighting this month, and I've essentially reached the GP warring phase of the game before diplo tech has caught up, so every ten years I bite off another 5% of Rome, have to march deep into the Maghreb from barbarian Europe to do it, and honestly have more work clicking to do to rejoin everyone and get them back into their supplied border/unrest hotspot positions afterwards than I do with the actual war.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Getting an arbitrarily-named monarch to be in the relevant dynasty is RAW/WAD to the point where it not working with spaces is probably the "bug" here, getting an arbitrary name on a monarch without disabling cheevos or cluing in your MP mates that something's up is the edge case, no?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope that combat takes a similar hands off approach as Vicky 3.

My initial thought about the V3 system was that, while it's in V3 specifically to make it not a wargame even though the era was replete with leaders who took "commander in chief" literally, it would be an interesting simulation fit in CK or early-mid EU. Full-micro if you've got a ruler or heir in the vicinity, probably something near it (HoI fronts?) with a general, "go" or "stop"--and maybe those not that reliable--if you've hired mercenaries or told the Marquess of Lower Nowhere to gather up some peasants and go show Upper Nowhere what for.

It's sad that "not that reliable" is so bad as a game system, because you've got the kickoff to the historical crowning endgame convulsion cycle directly traceable to one colonial lieutenant colonel at the head of 300 men realizing, orders to stay chill or no, he had a great ambush opportunity to push a single regiment off a really nice tile.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I can only hope the way to prevent it is "leave some garrison troops there".

In V3, they get peacefully sent on the boat home when the event triggers. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Sekenr posted:

I decided to give old Byzantium a run and it's been going decently well, I pulled off an ok first war with the Ottomans leaving me hideously in debt when during the truce I finally got lucky. Venice got into a war with Serbia and Wallachia which isn't really all that great by itself but Ottomans also decided to vent their frustrations on them and when I declared I also pulled Hungary in against them. Venice was allied with Genoa so I was able to snatch Ragusa, Crete and all the Aegean islands from both of them. Thats when goddamn Constantine XI decided to celebrate these gains by loving dying with no heirs causing Russia and Hungary to go to war over my fucken throne! To add insult to injury a Rurikovich is the new emperor, it pissed me off so much that I reloaded a save and made Constantine pull an heir out of his rear end, and now I have a really lovely heir with low legitimacy and really stupid name.

Johan, if you are reading this, I blame you personally for this situation! IRL Constantine had like 7 brothers so lack of male heirs wasn't one of the million problems they had to face back then.

Bruh, you could have had 2.5th Rome.