Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Finally time to rip the bandaid off and get into this game. Can anyone recommend some decent guides on how to get started? I'm used to ck2/3 so I keep looking how to marry off my fail children, then get sad when I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there a primer on how combat works anywhere? Cause I just don't loving understand it. Here's a fun example that makes me want to rage quit.

I have 11.6k men full morale, level 6 mil tech with a (lovely) general. I pounce on 3k men, full morale, mil 6 no general. They are slowly losing, when 6k men, level 6 mil tech, half morale, with a shock 3 general. They have to cross a river to get into the fight. And they loving wipe the floor with me. How is this even possible to lose with more men, more morale, and better terrain?

E: and now my 10k men with 80% morale are just getting loving wrecked by 5.4 men with half morale. Does a 2 v 0 shock general just mean I can't win? This is the second war I've lost because apparently you need 30% more men to win battles.

The other fun thing I don't know how to pull off is reinforcing a battle. If I'm losing a fight and throw in more armies it doesn't make a difference to the fight. If I'm wining and the ai piles in more men, once again I get hosed.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 18, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

oddium posted:

also what was the cavalry situation

I had 4 stacks, and I'm not sure what they had. It was definitely less on the man power screen when I started the war.

Firebatgyro posted:

They probably have better max morale and/or discipline and/or ICA than you. Also, if their general has higher maneuver than yours there is no river crossing penalty.

At tech 6 your guys are doing basically all shock damage so 2 extra pips is really good, but you must have gotten really unlucky with rolls to lose that battle

There is some optimal way of doing this but I've never gotten around to learning it. Fighting close battles with the AI is a losing proposition, just retreat and find battles where you can wipe them easily. Even if you win a major battle you are throwing away tons of manpower.

Any tips for dealing with the AI stack swarm when fighting in the HRE?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

So does half a point of morale and half a point of difference make a huge difference in battle? I just lost a fight where I had better generals, 5k more men, but got loving crushed. So I guess those stats are key?

It seems like overwhelming numbers is really the only way to go?

e: also stupid loving AI, my ally would just constantly suicide run his troops in instead of stacking up with me.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 19, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah morale is huge, especially early game. .5 morale can let you clown on dudes.

Later on, infantry combat, discipline, and especially artillery combat come more and more into their own.

I may just not be good enough at this game yet. Trying to form Prussia as Brandenburg, and trying to get as much Teutonic Order land as I can before Poland swallows it is not going well.

I have learned Austria is a loving useless pick as an ally. Won't do poo poo to help you in a war, but will gladly drag you into hell wars with France to get you loving stomped.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I have a real dumb question. What should I be doing at peace?

I keep doing war after war until my AE gets too high, then a massive coalition just wrecks me.

But when I'm at peace, I don't know what I should be doing. I just kind of wait for the monarch points to tick up so I can get a new tech, idea or development.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I've been trying to form Prussia as Brandenburg and I think I'm going to give up.

The start is loving brutal. If I want to try to grab danzing and konigsburg before Poland all the loving stars have to align.

Need the right event. Need a neighbor to not ally with a major power or you are pretty much stuck loving around in the hre for the next 100 years.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Can anyone explain how coring works and why you have to do it twice?

It seems like you core the first time to go from territory to province. But then you make a state and have to core the province again?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Do blockades destroy ships in port? My newly built transport ships keep being destroyed in "battles" but they haven't moved.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Groke posted:

Were you ordering them built en masse to a single province via template, or to a fleet? Because they'll happily build ships all over the place and send them out to join.

(Also if you try that in e.g. Mesoamerica, the game will often build some of the ships on the wrong coast and try to send them the long way around.

I built them individually in each province, and they were all finished and hanging out in port before this last coalition war kicked off. Then after the war only 4 of the 10 were left.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there an ability that lets you walk past forts? Or do lower level forts lose their ability to hold people up? I just watched an army walk past 4 forts and halfway across my country.

The came in at the fort in Osterburg, walked through Bremen, right beside Lubeck, and now they are heading through Holstein. How the gently caress is this happening?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Well this game has sunk its hooks in deep. But I also really want eu5 to be announced to modernize this interface. Plus trim back some of the the bloat. Holy gently caress there are a lot of systems. And modifiers that really don't seem to matter.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Not sure what I should be doing in my current game. It's 1661 and I just feel completely hemmed in. I've formed Prussia and I'm not sure where I can go next.

Austria ate Bohemia and Hungary and is a monster. I've formed an alliance with Poland and the Ottomans, so I'm going to start hell wars with them every 20 odd years to try and slowly chip them down a bit.

Sweden owns all of Scandinavia and a good chunk of Russia. They are also allied with GB, and their combined fleets just wreck me. And to add insult to injury, Sweden ate up the rest of Denmark about 6 months before I was about to declare on them.

Most of the minors in Germany are allied to either France or Austria. And the reformation was a big wet fart, so I'm basically the only protestant power. So everyone hates me.

I have a foothold on the Ivory Coast and want to leapfrog to SE Asia, but it seems like all the big colonizers are allied, so if I go after something owned by Spain or Portugal I'm going to get wrecked by a super power alliance.

I feel like I just need to put the game on speed 5, wait 50 years, and see what the alliances look like then.

E: found a weak ally to Holland to drag them into a war, now I'm going to see if I can peel off enough provinces to have a chain of trade charters all the way to China.

Since I'm in Northern Europe my main trade node is lubeck and I can't hope to compete in the channel. Is it worth dominating and collecting in the ivory coast node to cut off that trade from getting to Europe?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 7, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does it ever become feasible to force covert nations? It seems like anything bigger then a one or two province nation the war score required is always over 100%

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there any way to do a limited war in this game? I want to take a few of France's colonial possessions of their hands but it feels like over kill that I'm going to have to sack and occupy Paris to do it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Well this game may just be completely over. Sweden, which has blobed massively and become Scandinavia, just became the Jr partner in a personal union under Great Britain. If GB eats Scandinavia I am completely hosed.

How can I encourage and help Scandinavia break out of the PU? And is there any way for me to break up Scandinavia?

E: Going to war to contest it. Not sure if I have any hope of winning, since I can't get at gb directly, their navy is going to obliterate mine. Not that it matters, I'm fighting Great Britain, Scandinavia, Spain and Portugal and my only ally of not is Poland. GB and Spain are great powers 1 and 2 and I'm number 8. And since I'm basically the only major protestant nation, everyone else loving hates me. Rip this loving run.

At the start of this war the man power totals are 400k vs 100k infantry.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 8, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

How bad is it to be over your Governing Capacity? I'm aggressively setting up trade companies in all the nodes flowing from SE Asia to the Ivory coast. The penalties seem pretty minor for how much money I'm starting to make.

E: holy gently caress are alliances are permanent in this run. I have been allies with Poland since day one (When I cheated them out of Danzig and Konigsburg). And all the major colonizing powers (GB, Spain, and Portugal) have been the bestest friends for the last 200 years. So now I'm allied with the Mamluks, who colonized loving Australia, so there is going to be a global hellwar happening soon.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 9, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Thing I'm done with that game. It was pretty boring and static. Poland and I were the only protestant powers of note, so every one hated me, and then most of the other great powers were allied up, so I couldn't push out anywhere against any one of them. I'm not good enough at this game to take on the top three great powers all at once. Turns out the combined navy of GB, Spain, and Scandinavia is just bonkers.

Do all games shake out like that, or did I just get hilariously unlucky?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I always forget how this game just constantly lies. I'm trying to take Morocco as Portugal and they just have infinite manpower.

I check their manpower and their allies manpower after they have fought a few wars and most of Morocco just finished being almost entirely occupied by rebels, and they both have 15k soldiers and 1k reserves. Cool, perfect time to invade between my forces and Spain we have 3:1 numbers and ample reserves.

Now its several years later, we have won a bunch of drag out fights and my manpower is dry, my mercenaries manpower is dry, and there are still 20k enemy troops running around.

Wish I knew how to accurately predict manpower because if i knew they could somehow pull more troops out of their rear end then my side started the war with, I wouldn't have invaded.

E: Got some stats. When the war started the diplomacy screen told me that both Morocco and Tunis had 15k troops and 1k reserve manpower each. So far they have lost 50k men in the war. They currently have just shy of 25k men left.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 25, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Bloody Pom posted:

Enemy manpower reserves don't take into account mercenaries, it's possible that they're putting themselves into debt and mercing up.

At first I thought about that, but its really early in the game, so a big company has maybe 6k troops. Does any country in the game have the ability to buy every mercenary company available?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Staltran posted:

Did you check their professionalism before the war?

I'm not sure how to check that, but it's the 1460s so I can't imagine it's much of a thing.

I guess Portugals plan for the start of the game is just wait until you can start colonizing?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

You drag Castille into the war with you to keep them weak and give you enough dudes to keep the AI from contesting the siege of the mountain fort, then you kill them every time they try to take it back until they run out of stuff and/or Castille fully occupies them for you.

That was my strategy, but Morocco either has infinite man power or hired every north African mercenary company in the game because they pulled over 50k troops out of nowhere and bled us dry instead.

Plus castile also wants that land so I was constantly racing them to sieges.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I may just not be good enough to play portugal. I just keep failing. Last attempt I took some of Morocco, but couldn't stop Castile from getting a chunk. Then Spain turned on me, so I allied with England to protect me. Who immediately declared on France and Castile. Turns out Portugal is a much easier target than England, so I got loving rolled.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

This may be a dumb question, but are the troop numbers on the diplomacy screen just estimates and intentionally wrong? Because the game is telling me 20k when I can see 30k troops on screen.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What should I being doing to maximize my income from trade?

Right now I'm Portugal and own 68% of the sevilla node.

The Caribbean is my colony I own 53% of the node and I'm pushing 10g to sevilla. I basically also own Brazil, ivory coast and the cape.

But I'm only making 40g a month and that seems really low for controlling most of world trade.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

what does this

specifically mean. Are we talking like 80+% of it, or less than 50%? Because specifically in the ivory coast, if you aren't the biggest power there, you're likely losing the majority of the trade going from brazil and the cape. If it is 80%+, check to make sure that the better trade good provinces in those regions have things like workshops and manufactories, (and ideally dev, but that's a different story) because you can own all the trade, but if it's lovely 1 production provinces full of grain, it's not gonna give you much income.

The real big trade numbers come from a combination of long trade steering chains, effective use of the trade company investments, workshops, manufactories and

I own all the centers of trades on all the nodes, and for Brazil and ivory coast I own 55ish%

OK, so I need to start developing everything more with workshops and manufacturies. I can start working on that.

And my next step is to take over the Madagascar node, then onto India.

What are the best ways to get trade power over 80%? I have market places on all the centers of trade and have upgraded them to level 2. Is it just shelling out for the level 3s?. Or having massive trade fleets? I have about 15 ships for the down stream nodes and 25 in sevilla

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 29, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Why do my allies always randomly drop me, but ai super power alliances are forever?

The giant hell wars in the game just killy desire to play anymore. Just so loving tedious. And so unavoidable.

Is there a way to not have Spain turn on Portugal? They just keep loving me over with ruinous wars are they are gargantuan, so I can't really stop them.

And now they own the lions share of the sevilla node, so I'm just completely hosed since they get the majority of all the trade im driving there.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 29, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Welp, just learned how loving worthless support rebels is.

I'm trying to get out of a vasselization from a hyper powered France and no one will help me because their army is terrifying.

So I see thay for $1000 ducats I can sponsor a 52 province noble rebellion. Hell yeah, that should chew their army down andayne swing some people my way.

It loving spawned 1 20 strength army. That was crushed comically fast.

Biggest waste of money loving imaginable.

E: is there a a way to remove the neutral attitude malus? It blocks so much and nothing seems to remove it. This is heartbreaking

https://imgur.com/a/c7Lb4FV

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 30, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What's the key to having an army worth a drat? My tech is current, I drill whenever I'm not using my army and every time I go into a fight I immediately lose half my morale and get loving crushed.

E: Well that's game. Somehow France was able to ally and pull the ottomans into my independence war after it started.

I guess the only way to survive in Europe is to be a massive power. The domineering attitude penalty just loving ruins you. All your allies immediately turn on you and if you can't fight them off yourself, you are a junior partner now.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 30, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What's the secret to having an army that's not loving trash?

Playing as Holland and my armies can't fight their way out of a paper bag.

Right now fighting Denmark, we are both mil tech 11, I have a 1/3/5/3 general, took quantity asy first idea, rocking 27 inf and 4 cav. I try to drill as much as I can between putting down rebels.

I can't win a fight with 30% more troops on the battle.

Had a similar experience fighting Austria a coupleil tech ago.

Unless I have overwhelming numbers I lose.

What am I missing to have armies that can actually fight?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does anyone have tips on how to always have a good heir? I will hunt for royal marriages when my ruler is single, but that doesn't always get you a wife.

The loving domineering attitude when you have a weak claim is just game ruining. All your allies immediately loving break their alliances with you and at least one of them is going to invade. So all my plans for the last 100 years to try and fight Austria and Spain are toast and I'm going to spend the next hundred years trying to get out from under France again.

Starting to think I should just stay away from Europe entirely.

E:my only hope is that since I don't have a royal marriage with the ottomans, they won't turn on me.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 3, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Hellioning posted:

You get domineering if you press the 'introduce heir' button while your ally has a royal marriage with you, so don't do that. Yes it is dumb. Maybe you get it with low legitimacy, but your heir's claim strength shouldn't matter.

Other than that the only real way you can guarantee a good heir is constantly disinheriting bad heirs and hoping you roll a new one, which is basically just ruler personality and number of royal marriages.

Ah, that was it. My king was 51 with the infertile malus so I hit the button out of desparation.

It has really ruined this game for me. My master plan to leave castile isolated so I can take the low countries is basically hosed now.

I will probably just start over instead of coming back from having no allies. It's almost like I converted to protestantism. Just loving suicide unless you are already huge. Or good at the game I guess.

And Austria keeps suckering me. My 45K army will jump on a 15-20k stack and before the battle is done they have 50-60k in the fight.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 3, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

There is something extremely satisfying with playing the long con and robbing your enemy if their allies.

It takes forever to get 50 favors, but robbing Portugal of their allies so I could scoop up a bunch of their colonies was worth the wait.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is diplo vassalization just not a thing? The malus for economic base seems impossible to overcome.

I own the rest of the low counties, have colonies all over the world and make 50 gold a month but tiny little leige isn't satisfied with that.

Or is the modifier because my economy is just so much bigger then theirs?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Hellioning posted:

I burnt several hundred mana points getting my economic base in comparison to target country up one or two points to just barely nudge it over the line to accept a diplovassalization. It would have been significantly easier and less expensive just to conquer them or force vassalization.

I did it anyway because I wanted to prove that I could, really.

I dropped 600 of each mana type into development and I'm still at - 70..

Time to just break the alliance and invade their asses. Breaking the royal marriage hurts a bit though.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Hellioning posted:

I'd personally just wait for the royal marriage to break normally unless you desperately need to invade them now.

Sometimes I have impulse control issues.

Here is a fun situation I could use some advice on. I've just formed the Netherlands and the last province I need to complete a mission is taking calais. Which is currently owned by England who is under a pu with castile.

I'm thinking support their independence and then turn on them when they are weak.

This plan also involves the French getting their heads out of their asses and unrival me so we can tag team the English

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 5, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Firebatgyro posted:

Is anyone else supporting England? If not, will anyone support them after you do, does France or Austria or anyone large hate Castile?

Also keep in mind England is going to do absolutely nothing on the continent so you and whoever else is supporting is going to have to beat Castile on your own.

If you do manage to break England free you won't need any help to take Calais, just declare it as the war goal and occupy it for a bit / wipe any armies England lands and you'll get it in a few years.

I would have to check, but I don't think anyone new supports them. I made England break off their alliance with Portugal so I could steal some Portuguese colonies up a few years previously.

Castile I could probably take solo, although I really want to get France on board to help. And I've build up enough of a doom stack fleet to handle the English navy, so I can probably keep them off the continent entirely.

Is there any way to get someone to unrival you?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

How painful is a world conquest run?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

How does one effectively wield a vassal swarm? On paper I have 2x the troops but my allies refuse to stack their armies and has a ton of 1-5k armies running around. while my enemy has all their allies stacked up in numbers I can't take by myself.

I have hit the checkbox on my army to allow attach, but no one actually attaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Half the time they don't seem to do anything. This last war with Venice I didn't see a single ally or junior partner stack do anything. Do they just not send troops like I do when I ever get dragged into a war?

Trying to get rolling with an Austria swarm and Venice just loving wrecks me every time despite 3:1 numbers fory side.

Also holy poo poo they odds are not good for Hungary ending up in a pu under Austria.