Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The AI is ~supposed to~ pretend like it can't see your troops, but it can, and they absolutely will react to troop movements that should be unknown to them. Paradox says they try to make it so they don't, but all of my recent experience indicates that the AI absolutely does not give a gently caress about what they're "supposed to" do and will react to hidden troop movements every time. So in effect, fog of war is a one-way player handicap in EU4.

This is less of a big deal than it seems because the fort system restricting their movement and the fact that they're just kinda bad.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, the Rassids have some hella good ideas but their start is brutal. Just had to end a run after my first war had me besieging a fort for 2 straight years of literally consecutive status quo and disease outbreaks. I hope I don't have to tell you how unlikely that is. There's a lot of zeroes after that decimal. I really wish I was kidding.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also, can confirm, drilling during wartime is a crazy enemy troop magnet, no matter how far into your fog of war you are, or how bad of an idea it is to march on your position. The AI will hone in on drilling troops with reckless abandon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Do not disband the armies. Building armies is expensive and takes time. Someone will surprise attack you while you have no army and then you'll be in trouble. If you want to save money, you can lower the army maintenance slider in the economics screen. Just make sure to remember to raise it again before declaring war. Low army maintenance lowers the max morale of an army, making them easily defeated in battle.

In general, it's smart to hire as many advisors as you can afford, but a lot of countries can't afford more than one or so at the start. There are three levels of advisors, and you get one monarch point a month per level, which can be a big help when teching up. I find hiring a level 1 military advisor early can help you get those really important military techs before your enemies, which can give you a big advantage in warfare.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've noticed the AI stalling more often too. It happens especially often when I set my vassals to supportive. They just sit around completely stationary far away from any action. When I switched from no focus to supportive the first time, they literally just stopped where they were and stayed there until I noticed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

Odd bug: if you roll a new general as the month ticks over, you’ll get two generals with the same name but different stats. I didn’t notice if it costs twice as much or one of them is free, probably still shouldn’t be happening though.

There's always been lots of bugs and exploits with end-of-month rollovers. Up until Mandate of Heaven, if you spammed the mouse button on the "add province to HRE" button during an end-of-month autosave, you'd multiply the imperial authority gain by the number of mouse clicks you managed to fit in.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

And if you are under the state cap it should grant some sort of progressive bonus (maybe replace the default bonuses that OPMs get so its less of a drop off if you go from an OPM to a 3PM).

I don't want to have to do any mental math to figure out if stating a territory is worth it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dunno about the Byzantines' alliance situation but the Constantinople fort situation has not changed. It's still just a standard early-game fort plus capital fort. Should take a year or so on average to siege down. You must've gotten pretty unlucky.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, Japan was completely redone with MoH. I ended up having to abandon an MoH Japan run after a series of stupid bugs. The straw that broke the camel's back was when one of my allies ended up not joining the independence war even though they had the green checkmark and were selected.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 21, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sckye posted:

1.23 AI and forts status - still hosed:

I noticed Ethiopia moving troops up north toward my capital and activated the forts.
They certainly did not come from the undefended northeast. I took my eyes off them for a minute and they just waltzed past the garrisoned forts and started occupying the ungarrisoned ones.

Here's me tagging over to them to confirm that, yes, the rules of fort ZoC still apply... for players.

It's possible that they ignored the forts because I activated them after they already had that part of the map set as their destination. Still dumb.

But it's okay, Paradox assures me there are no issues with forts whatsoever. :downs:

Did a month rollover happen between when you activated the forts and they entered its zone of control?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Koramei posted:

Just how much cavalry are you wanting to bring?

As many as can possibly be afforded, considering how much stronger they are than infantry. Especially if you're a horde.

Like, if you can make your front line 100% cavalry as a horde, you will fight far more effectively than if you just roll in with your 60/40 cav/inf army or whatever. This requires annoying micromanagement, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This has been a thing since Cossacks. The AI wants their fair share if you promise them land. If you let them do all the heavy lifting and then take most of the rewards for yourself, they're gonna be pissed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm pretty sure attrition does not count toward war participation. Sieges do, however. So you may be seeing them get lots of war participation through sieges and they also happen to be losing loads of manpower to attrition in the process because they're morons.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have seen several distinct cases of rebels glitching out in the Netherlands. Sometimes they all stack up on one province. Once I've seen them marching back and forth endlessly on the border with France without actually occupying any territory.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Groogy posted:

Most of my overnights at work also show Mamluks eventually getting their teeth kicked in by the Ottomans or the QQ about 90% of the cases before 1550 at the very latest.
From what I've seen though Ottoman have a really strong affinity now days for Russian/Lithuanian land though compared to the south & east routes it used to take.

I'd like to see the Ottomans get more aggressive in the Balkans and reach for central Europe like they did historically, but I don't know how you encourage the AI to do that in its current framework without causing the Ottomans to implode in coalition wars and junk. Which I guess is also kind of historical, actually?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

Just got Cossacks. The estates seem to be a straight up power increase. You sacrifice a little autonomy in some provinces and in return you can shake them up for monarch points every now and again.

And there's no downside when you assign estates to recently-conquered land with autonomy, with the upside that you get to make full use of one of the province's key attributes right away.

Don't forget that you have the ability to set provinces of interest now, which your allies will see and grant you in peace treaties if they lead the wars. Being able to tell your allies what to give you is huge.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The favor system should be in the game by default. It's a weird expansion feature since those tend to be either strict buffs in some way or really flashy. This is fleshing out a core system that was plain before into something more detailed and interesting. It's the kind of thing you expect to see in free patches, like institutions (though institutions were a much more dramatic overhaul).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They did recently introduce an essential DLC bundle (is that recent? I can't remember), but it's only like a 10% discount. I know we probably sound like total cheapskates to pdox when we complain about discounts not being as low as they used to get during sale events (50% for DLC instead of 75%), or bundle discounts not being high enough, or paradox not giving us enough free poo poo, or whatever, but seriously, the price tag on all the DLC is getting outrageous.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grinning Goblin posted:

wait, are we supposed to buy the dlc and then not play it or...what is going on here? where can I preorder the new unannounced dlc?

You're supposed to buy it, then be mad about it, then play it for another 300 hours.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

I'm going for the Ideas Guy achievement.

I'm the white blob in South Africa, Bantuka. Fetishist theocracy (which is loads of fun btw). I think I can quite easily blob my way into all of Africa and into India, probably snagging Iberia as well at some point. My issue would be "how to get 500 ducats per month" as that's the requirement for the chievo. Most of my NI's are to create supersoldiers, with tax income and globla trade power buffs. I have expansion, offensive and am currently busy working on the economic ideas set.

What would you guys sugegst? Just keep blobbing until I read a point where I cna disband my entire military and get 500 ducats in a month? Would it be a good idea to gun for Iberia ASAP or should I take it slow and let the Euros colonize and create trade value in the New World before swooping into their centers of trade? Which idea sets should I get? Currently my troops' morale is like 5.7 (compared to enemies' 3.7 so far) so I think I can let military ideas slide for now. Which strategy should I follow? Mostly tax based or trade based? I've never been good with trade but it seems my income is 20% based on trade and I don't know if I could squeeze out a lot more there or not.

I believe it's 500 ducats of gross income per month and not 500 ducats of profit. Disbanding your army doesn't do anything.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oddium posted:

hey yo question: do special event advisors that cost half price keep that half price if you upgrade them

They sure do.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Must be a bug then, doesn't really make sense to not be able to tell your own vassal what to do. Plus you can still freely transfer occupation between 2 vassals.

Yeah, that's a known bug. Jake says it'll be fixed in the next update.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

Didn’t this patch include a map change? I think it probably breaks saves.

Map changes don't hard break saves. When loading an old save, new provinces end up as unexplored and uncolonized 1/1/1 provinces, but since this patch's map changes were in uncolonized land already this shouldn't be a major issue. It gets weird when new provinces are added in like the middle of Europe.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Only in Italy

Renaissance spawns in Italy
Colonialism spawns in a coastal 12+dev province of a nation that has discovered the New World and taken Exploration ideas
Printing Press spawns in the capital of a nation that's Protestant, Reformed, or German (so usually central/northern Europe)
Global Trade spawns in the most valuable trade node
Manufactories spawns in a 20+ dev province with a manufactory building
Enlightenment spawns in Europe where the ruler is 5+ in all stats and the province has a seat in Parliament, University, or 20+ dev

So basically Renaissance, Printing Press, and Enlightenment spawn in Europe, Colonialism too unless the player nation is a non-Euro colonizer.

Enlightenment can definitely spawn outside Europe. I've had it spawn in Persia recently.

edit: In an unmodded, non-transferred game

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 14, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, double-checking again, being in Europe is only necessary for only one of the three different ways to spawn the Enlightenment (20 dev provinces and a ruler with at least one stat being 5 or higher). The other two ways, having a parliament and having universities, do not require having any European provinces.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 14, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My Ideas Guy run, Persian Zoroastrian Theocracy starting south of Mutapa. I'm in 3rd place in 1584 with about 15% of the income I need to get the achievement, and I have tendrils spreading out into West Africa, the Middle East, and the West Indies. I've been cleaning up in a lot of little wars and I'm not sure who my next big target should be. Ethiopia is big and willing to ally me but they are probably going to get attacked by the Ottomans soon, so I might do better by attacking them before that. Also looking at wars with Sunda and maybe some shenanigans in India and East Asia. What would you do? I've been doing really bad on tech and ideas because my MP keep going to coring territory, demanding territory, killing natives, and developing for institutions, but it hasn't really slowed down my expansion.

Also I started this game with the last patch and converted it to 1.24, hope it doesn't blow up on me! The only problems I've noticed are a few new uncolonized provinces at 0 development.

I'd focus on cementing your grip on the West Indies. Conquering Kilwa should also produce a good chunk of change but the indies will be your real money maker. Suck up all the west indie trade possible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

How are y’all getting prestige, especially when not actually At War?

Declare war on someone. War is basically the only efficient way to earn prestige. I see the prestige advisor only as a way to not lose it once you have it.

If you're not at war very often, then you have to milk the most out of every one. Separate peace every ally with as many random prestige-giving treaties as possible. End rivalries and break alliances you don't give a gently caress about.

But also if you have manpower to spare, then just declare war. Even if you don't want any land, find someone weak to pick on and use a humiliate CB for. Though you should probably just take more land, to be perfectly honest.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eldred posted:

Religious War has a 75% AE modifier

Which I find strange, tbh, considering your own religion already only barely cares when you take land from heathens, and why would your religious enemies be less mad about you taking their land if you justify it through religion? Isn't that usually the opposite of how that works?

I'm not saying to change it, but it's just weird if you think about it. But I guess most of the poo poo in this game is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 27, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

I just realized today that humanism has +33% improve relations which seems amazing as a war monger.

Humanist is a really good warmonger group actually because of this, and also -2 unrest and -10 years of separatism. The added tolerance helps when conquering heathen/heretic land and the +2 max accepted cultures can be a really big boost to large, multicultural empires.

But it's like a 4th or 5th pick group, really. You really want administrative and at least a couple military idea groups first.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You've probably spent more monarch points in penalties trying to keep up without institutions than you'd have to spend just seeding the institutions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I've had a lot of games lately where the PU never even happens.

I think it's a straight 25% chance for Poland to turn down the PU.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Maybe captured forts could occupy adjacent territory, reverse to what uncaptured forts do?

Just go full March of the Eagles with it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To emphasise, tactics is by far the most powerful military modifier in the game. The issue here is that tactics is generally only gained from techs that everyone has access to. This isn't the kind of thing you can prioritize and stack like other modifiers. But if you have just one tactics tech over your opponent, losing battles suddenly turn into massacres in your favor. Especially in the early game. If you're looking for a way to gain a stats-based advantage over your enemy, then maybe consider waiting to declare war on them until you have a tactics advantage. Try to make use of these tactics advantages when you have them, because they are only temporary.

Otherwise, in the early game, you want to prioritize morale, and in the late game, you want to prioritize discipline (while still paying attention to morale). Shock/Fire damage modifiers as well as combat ability modifiers all help, but they aren't as crucial. Leader Shock/Fire are pretty big, though. Having better generals than your opponent can be a huge factor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

God drat it, focus trees barely work for extremely-limited-ability-to-go-off-the-rails HOI4, legitimately think just taking out missions entirely would be a better "fix" than this.

These really aren't anything like focus trees at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't disagree that mesoamerica isn't represented very well in EU4, but this stuff in your link is from centuries before the game's start date. The Mayan empire was long dead by 1444.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

Hm yes I am definitely going to pay money to leave myself actively worse off in 90% of situations.

Me, deciding to buy Cossacks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I get why having provinces sniped is so frustrating, but allowing the war leader to decide occupations for all war participants would be giving way too much power to the war leader. That would not be a good change.

edit: In SP, I feel like the player shouldn't be able to just let the AI siege down an entire country, flip all the occupations to them, then take all the territory for themselves. You can still do this when the AI doesn't want those provinces, but this would be much more exploitable if you could flip occupations at will. It would also be frustrating if, say, you join in on a war with an AI ally and they decide that all the provinces you fought for and sieged down were to be theirs, actually.

In MP, this would be an outright disaster. I don't think any explanation is needed to describe why.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 11, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

double nine posted:

how challenging is it to win the 100 years war as england these days? I haven't played either nation, but from the outside it seems more than manageable, given that the maine event forces both participants to duke it out 1v1.

It's a little challenging but not too hard as long as France doesn't get any powerful allies, you're good at exploiting AI stupidity, and you're willing to take out several loans to fund a merc army.. I did it like nine months to a year back and I don't think it'd be much different these days. The key was figuring out that you can bait and out-maneuver the French armies by ferrying troops between Normandy and Gascony, giving you opportunities to outnumber the French in most battles despite them having the bigger army. Eventually, after enough French army wipes, you should be able to siege down Paris and win the war.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Detheros posted:

The worst god drat ally.

The AI will guarantee the neighbors of countries they consider threats in an effort to power balance. Even their allies. "We want you to have our back but we don't want you to grow too powerful or else you'll eat us too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Presumably France has unoccupied allies in the war. You probably shouldn't be able to get 100% warscore peaces just by occupying the country you declared on without having to deal with their allies (especially when you consider smaller countries. they'd be hosed)