Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gobblecoque posted:

Monarch points are a perfectly good game mechanic but if you mad at people poking fun at video game abstractions by giving them funny nicknames then you might be taking your map-painting simulator too seriously.

For me I find it mildly annoying not because they're poking fun at the game but because I tend to get annoyed at any joke/meme that gets repeated often enough. We've all heard it before, there's nothing witty or clever about flogging a dead horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

[quote="Angry Salami" post=""479032771"]
(Seriously, a playable Maori nation would be really cool...)
[/quote]

It would need some neighbours and probably a full South Pacific focused expansion to be any fun to play. Split NZ into several Māori iwi (tribes) and add some playable Aboriginal Australian peoples and Pacific Islanders such as Tonga and Samoa too. I did a patriotic custom NZ run a while back and there was nothing to do but colonise forever and by the time you meet the likes of Tidore you're already big enough to effortlessly swallow them. It wasn't until I ran into Ming that it got remotely interesting/fun/challenging and even then not very. The entire run was missing the political game that makes EU fun.

e: after thinking about it a bit more, the region would need a lot of new provinces too. Compare NZ's landmass and province count to those of Great Britain and Japan. Same with Australia. You can justify this somewhat with the relative populations and development levels, but to be at all fun and interesting, a Māori or Australian Aboriginal start would need an early game along the lines of Japan's Daimyo phase or Aztec's religious reformation phase with a lot more tags and provinces than currently in the area. Despite migrating from more northern areas of the Pacific, Māori didn't stay in any sort of contact with anyone outside on NZ until the arrival of Europeans, so after an early unification phase you'd pretty much have to go full alt-history and let a Māori tag invade Aussie and vice versa or the player would have nothing to do for a couple of hundred years. This could be an issue if you're playing in Europe and care about the rest of the world being somewhat historical though, and if you start going around filling in all the indigenous peoples in all the colonial regions you're gonna have to redo the entire colonisation system too

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 5, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Poil posted:

Would that mean the infantry model will be doing the haka instead of firing a gun?

Wow dude wtf

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

It's a bit like suggesting Native American models should be smoking pipes or something instead of fighting. Okay the haka is a war dance performed before battle, but the Māori still actually fought, with weapons. Having them performing a haka while being shot at by a European model would be... problematic. They did a pretty good job of fighting too, giving the British a run for their money considering the technological differences. They invented trench warfare in response to guns and cannons and adapted their fortifications in such a way as to deflect cannonballs - off wooden walls.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 5, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

lol 30 seconds in and that dude is butchering the pronunciation of the Māori words really badly. Shame that a guy doing an educational video couldn't be bothered to learn the correct vowel sounds, they're not hard

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Professionalism is a paid mechanic though isn't it? So you couldn't tie mandate to it if you want that to do anything for players who don't have both DLCs

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

skasion posted:

I don't know if they changed this with the drill/professionalism stuff, but at least a couple patches ago, yes they were. And they were still more likely to randomly die during battle or siege.

I don't think I've ever had a general die in battle. All the god drat time when they're just hanging out with the troops though. If I want to get rid of a poo poo ruler (and can't abdicate) I'll put them in charge of an army for a while

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Groogy, any chance of a rethink on how siege leadership gets assigned? I just had a pretty frustrating experience when I marched my main siege stack onto a fort that my vassal was squatting on with 5k troops and then they decided to assault while the main enemy stack was 2 provinces away. I took a whole bunch of casualties in the assault and my morale was left at about 20% of the bar. Enemy stack jumps me before I can move away and there goes 7% war score. It doesn't make any sense that a tiny stack can force a huge one to assault with them, especially when said tiny stack is my vassal.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MrBling posted:

Looks like someone forgot about the cardinal rule of EU.

Never ally England.

Sometimes they can be handy if you need a big navy (say for blockading France) and you can't afford one yet. Don't expect to get any help from them on the land though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

buddy there is basically no part of japan where no one lives.

Maybe not today but the game isn't set today

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I Love You! posted:

This has certainly been asked 2 to 3 hundred thousand times but why the gently caress do my enemies constantly get spawns of 2k troops when i attack them despite them having no piety and no prestige, yes they are Pagan and I am Norse pagan but everything i've read says they need to have 200 piety to spawn free troops and apparently that's a complete lie?

Jesus christ what an annoying mechanic, especially since it doesnt tell you what the gently caress is happening.

You're in the wrong Paradox thread, friend

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Just finished a Fezzan Corridors (as Fezzan, get 90% trade power in Safi, Tunis, Timbuktu and Katsina) run. Was pretty fun up until I had to get the last 5% trade power in Katsina. The Ottomans took the entire Alexandria node before I could snag anything other than Sirt, and were pulling a few percent out of Katsina. I was allied to them, and they were loving huge, stretching from the Horn of Africa to Russia and from Austria to Iraq. They were helpful deterring attackers early on and when I had to beat up Spain to stop them sucking power from Safi to Sevilla, but that few percent they were siphoning from Katsina was a major headache. My own CN Cuba was also leeching a few percent with a merchant. What was Cuba doing with a merchant in Katsina? gently caress knows. I wish I could have done something about it as their overlord though. I gave almost every province to the merchants, developing a lot of them to 10 so I could, had every area stated and running the protect trade edict, pumped mercantilism into the 70s, slandered Ottoman merchants, and I still only had 88%. Tried sending trade ships to Alexandria to reduce the Ottos' share of the trade power there (I got up to 30% or so, was already waaaay over naval limit and on 0 sailors due to running tons of ships in Tunis to reach 90% there) and reduce their ability to leech but it made no difference at all as far as I could tell. I guess that's not how it works? Anyway I dropped the alliance with the Ottos with the intention of embargoing them, which caused my CN Brazil to declare for independence and then the cheevo suddenly popped up. Not sure if the war somehow affected Ottoman trade power or wtf happened but at that point I didn't care. Run complete!

tldr: If you're doing Fezzan Corridors make sure to snag some of Alexandria before the Ottomans gobble it up (or fight them for it) or be prepared to do a lot of tedious clicking for very little effect and then maybe get lucky or something

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 10, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

This in fact does not do anything; only the land based portion of trade power transfers upstream.

I figured it might be something like that. Thanks!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

In addition to what others have said re: manpower, remember that replenishment is based off your max pool size. This is why the Quantity idea are so effective, +50% max manpower is effectively +50% replenishment so the first two ideas in the group give you a whopping 70% extra replenishment on top of having heaps more in your pool to start with. This also means building barracks in high military development provinces boosts replenishment too. I usually build barracks anywhere it'll boost pool size by 500 men or more. If you have whichever expansion gives estates (Rights of Man?) and have mil points to spare, dump them into developing your nobility provinces and build barracks on them, it adds up. A 1/1/3 Nobility province with a barracks gives a considerable 1350 manpower.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 17, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

A Mann Ahead of His Time: As Mann, be ahead of time in all three tech categories

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Doge Eat Mann: As Venice, have Mann as a core province

or

A Mann and His Doge: As Mann, vassalise Venice

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 18, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

Just make a DLC that is entirely achievements, every tag needs at least 5 of them.

I'd buy it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Looks to me like Spain is claiming it, you're getting the option to back down because you're the one who has the option to contest the claim and cancel the PU. The nation getting the PU doesn't get an option.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Is there a faster way to get favors than just waiting idly for a decade?

Help your allies in their wars, you'll get favours based on your contribution. Of course, that requires them calling you to war in the first place. You can also get favours by giving your allies land in peace deals (any land if you called them in with favours, more land than they expect from their contribution if you called them in with a promise of land) but this of course requires you being able to call them in in the first place.

Also passive favour generation is based on your size relative to theirs. If you're roughly even you get one favour per year, but if they're significantly bigger it'll be slower and vice versa. So it's not always a decade, you can speed it up somewhat if you're able to grow or develop rapidly.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 22, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

oddium posted:

i keep seeing the maldives get annexed by one of the two indian powers there

I've noticed this recently too. No one used to touch the Maldives, ever. Now they always seem to get gobbled up by one of the Indian tags fairly early.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

TBARW with the white text submod, the objectively best EU4 map mod.

Honest question, what is it people like about white text? To me it looks absolutely godawful and I cannot even begin to comprehend the appeal of it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Black is perfectly legible though? Unless you have a really dark monitor or something maybe idk

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I never use the culture map and so never had to read tiny text on a dark green background. If I did need to I'd zoom in a little yeah. But I've never had a problem reading the text in normal political mode or any of the map modes I use the 1% of the time I'm in something else. That said if you find the white text easier to read then power to you. Just stop posting screenshots of it and hurting my eyes, tia :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFHCxO6xNM

First look video for Rule Britannia. Other than a big list of tags getting new national ideas, I think the only thing in the video they haven't talked about already in dev diaries is Innovativeness. Whenever you're the first to research a new tech or unlock a new idea, you get Innovativeness points, which give a bonus to all power costs and army/navy tradition decay. If you start falling behind you lose Innovativeness.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never had a ruler with a six in any stat

Got this awesome lady from the event that offers a female heir with an average claim. You better believe I windmill slammed my LMB on yes

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

This was a fun run

Started off just going for Abu Bakr II's Ambition. Got it fairly quickly but I was enjoying the game so I said gently caress it, let's make it African Power And Also A Sun God But As Mali. The game ended up having a cool flow of bosses - Songhai in the early game, then the Iberians and Britain mid game, and finally a series of apocalyptic hellwars with the Ottomans in the end game. Fortunately the Europeans showed little interest in colonising Africa so aside from a couple of outposts I was left to consolidate it for myself and get caught up on tech before challenging them for South America.

Europe itself got a bit weird with very little intervention on my part (just fighting the Iberians to kick them out of South America and Morocco). France got fuckin rolled - England not only never lost its holdings in Northern France, it actually expanded them, and Spain and Swole Protestant Austria both took substantial areas of France too. Almost the entire HRE went Protestant but no-one else. The Papal States took over almost all of Italy and a bit of Southeast France. The Commonwealth never formed and Poland and Lithuania got eaten by Sweden, Russia, and Fuckin Hungary of all people. Who later got eaten by the Ottomans as usual. Riga survived and got kinda big. Not in Europe but Kathiawar went nuts which I hadn't seen before.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Can we have it so that the war leader can always control who gets control of occupied provinces? I'm really sick of my "allies" sniping provinces that I want to take for myself.

A real "ally" wouldn't begrudge their friends taking the territory an entire generation of their young men died to capture in the war their so-called "friend" started :colbert:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Exactly. EU4 is ultimately a realpolitik simulator and that's what sets it apart from the likes of Civ and Total War. Don't complain when the AI realpolitiks. Alliances are never about friendships, such things don't exist for states, or at least didn't in the game's time period, and arguably still don't today. They're mutually convenient arrangements usually driven by a shared rivalry. Each state is out to look after number one.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 10, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

oddium posted:

i wish you could just force rebels to pop. i got stuff to do you dogs get mad or go home

yeah the amount of times i've told my monitor to poo poo or get off the pot is ridiculous. there are some tricks you can use to make them pop faster though, like sticking a missionary in the province or lowering autonomy, although the latter will usually mean you'll have to deal with another rebellion a few years down the line

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

revolting provinces

Wouldn't that just be a worse unrest map mode, or am I misunderstanding you?

Speaking of map modes, someone upthread mentioned there might be an edict map mode. There isn't, but it would be a helpful thing.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Also I need 70+ transports to move one army around so I've been like 50% over my forcelimit since I got to the Indian ocean because that means I need two fleets that have 70+ transports. If I had a fleet of galleys in the Med I would be at least at 200% my naval forcelimit.

Are you building shipyards? Like everywhere? Ottos should be able to get a pretty drat high naval FL

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I love the randomly switched Ireland and Corsica/Sardinia

also Aotearoa bang in the middle and aussie nowhere to be seen, this has to have been made by a kiwi

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Playing as Korea, when I saw Europe I saw this

I know Castille/Spain usually ends up eating a bunch of poo poo lately but wow that AI Granada

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

Trade Steering seems particularly great for a playing tall country to damage an enemy without taking land.

idgi when people talk about "playing tall" in EU4 and not taking land. What else do you do for 400 years if you don't take land? That's all the game is, getting as powerful as possible by taking land

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Of course you can play it how you want, I never said otherwise. I just don't get why you wouldn't expand as much as possible. Isn't it incredibly boring if you don't?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Every province with autonomy > 25% should be in an estate

Won't that just lead the every estate having 80+ influence?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I'm doing an Austria run and just lost the league war. The Reformation itself was a joke (there were like 6 Protestant states, half of them OPMs) but Castille/Aragon/Naples, France, and the Ottomans all hated me and joined the Protestant League. I still managed to defeat and convert all but 2 of the Protestant states - Lubeck and Pomerania, before I conceded the war. Pomerania is now the Emperor of the Protestant HRE and the Emperorship has gone hereditary. Is there anything I can do to switch the HRE religion back to Catholic, or is it stuck as Protestant forever now even if I eradicate Protestantism?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

edit: Also speaking of vassals. I'm playing Austria for the first time and don't quite get it. Like should I be reclaiming imperial land from current HRE members every chance I get? I was doing that, but now all the electors have like -1000 and won't vote for me. Should I only use the imperial CB (whatever it's called) if an actual member state was eliminated?

In general you should always tell HRE members to return land if they've just eliminated another member, as this will help keep your member count up, which in turns helps your Imperial Authority. An exception might be if they're an elector you don't want to piss off, as demanding someone return land will incur an opinion hit, which will affect their voting weight. If you have enough opinion/voting weight with them you might still be able to demand land without losing the vote.

If they've just taken land but not eliminated anyone you may still want to demand they return the land to help maintain balance of power, but it's much more of a judgment call. The UI really doesn't help with figuring this poo poo out; it really ought to tell you who will receive the land when it's returned, because keeping track of who's fighting who in every HRE war is impossible, and you're not always sure if it was an OPM that got eaten or if it was just a bite out of someone bigger.

Demanding land shouldn't be giving you -1000 voting weight with all of the electors, I would imagine this is due to you having no valid heir. If you have no heir, just wait until you get one (maybe make some royal marriages to increase your chances), or if your heir is female, there is a decision (the Pragmatic Sanction) that makes females valid HRE heirs. I can't remember off-hand what the requirements/costs for that are.

e: btw you can see what's affecting voting weight with your electors in the HRE screen

e2: Another Austria tip which I discovered in the Austria game I just played, if you can inherit an elector, you inherit their electorship too and can vote for yourself. Makes keeping the throne trivial. Probably works with integration as well as inheritance but I haven't tested it.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 13, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Playing as Scotland for my first post-patch run and I don't think the religious leagues ever fired, let alone the war. The entire HRE went Protestant except for Bohemia, who went Reformed. Never seen that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

b) who is the best starting nation? The old guides recommend the Ottomans, but I keep getting in a war with most of Europe when I try.

The Ottomans are very powerful and definitely one of the easier starts, but might be a bit much to manage for a new player. If you're getting into wars with all of Europe, you're probably racking up too much Aggressive Expansion and getting coalitioned. Whenever you take land in a peace deal, you get Aggressive Expansion points with nearby countries. The more total development you take, the more AE you get. AE is increased under some circumstances, for example if you take land from someone with a different religion, you'll get extra AE with other countries of that religion. Same deal if you're not a member of the Holy Roman Empire and you take land from a member, you'll get extra AE with the whole HRE. As the Ottomans, it's quite possible you're getting hit with both. A coalition can get real fuckin big real fuckin quick like that. You'll also get extra AE for taking land from your war target's allies. AE is an opinion penalty with every country affected. Any country that has -50 or more AE opinion towards you can opt to join a coalition against you. If you declare war on any member of a coalition, the whole lot will join in the defense in addition to their regular allies. Furthermore, if the coalition thinks it can take you, it can and will declare war on you. I think the coalition leader gets to call in their regular allies too. Breaking truces, declaring war without a Cassus Belli, or getting land through the Threaten War diplomatic action will also accrue AE. AE will gradually tick back down over time. The rate of this can be increased by Improved Relations Over Time modifiers. You can see how much AE you're accruing and any potential coalitions in the bottom-left of the peace deal interface.

Another thing that could be triggering wars with most of Europe is declaring war on a member of the HRE, even if you don't have much AE with the Empire. Any time a non-member declares on a member, the Emperor can and usually will elect to defend them and call in their own allies as well. Austria is the Emperor at the start and is a powerful nation in its own right, and will often have powerful allies too.

Basically you need to be really careful when pushing into Europe and especially the HRE as the Ottomans. Try to secure a powerful European ally such as France before pushing too hard. In the meanwhile you have several other directions to expand while you wait for your AE in Europe to tick down.

quote:

Who is the Ireland of the game?

Portugal. Smaller and more manageable than the Ottomans but still relatively strong and in a nice safe location. Make nice with Castille/Spain and you'll have a huge buffer against invasion and can go colonizing and/or beat up on the North Africans.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 21, 2018