Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Poil posted:

Um, what happens if you pass the decision to outlaw slavery? :v:

Nothing, provinces change trade good but you can still sell off your slaves.

e: nevermind its been greyed out cause I would get 0 ducats. Didn't notice because I just stopped caring about gold and hitting another button for more gold.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Anyone got any ideas on fixing this? Can't form Spain because there's some Islam in Iberia that I can't see. Haven't seen anyone else complain about this so guessing my game is hosed or I'm blind to an obvious problem.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Mother loving Portugal losing to Morocco and giving up Maderia. Thanks for pointing out they count for Iberia was blind to that.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

THE BAR posted:

France became my completely stable PU after a scant few years of marriage, ruining any sort of tension getting the holy order in Rum achievement.

I found it easier to vassal feed the provinces as Spain to Asturias. Annex them after they've cored Rum. Then release them again and play as them and you'll get the achievement. It was much easier than I thought at first.

Not sure what path you took? Looks like you released and played as Asturias early on.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 17, 2020

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
You've eliminated anything that would give Spain resistance in North Africa. Ottoman's are bugged so they only get 1/1/1 heirs currently. So they are less likely to be a powerhouse, though their untold millions keep them going usually.

The monument was started before you took it over. It says somewhere when it will complete, I forget where though. It is annoying that you can't cancel it, toss money and soldiers at it, or just core the drat thing. All you can do is wait for it to finish which takes a lot of time.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Sephyr posted:

Thinking of doing a Poland run after a long time, to get back in the game. The usual strat is to back the Danzig revolt and then eat the rest of the Teutonics, right? Or just eat it naturally to keep a good development and hold the other vassals better?

Poland always confuses me a bit as to where to grow to. To grab land from Hungary or to wait and vassalize them later? To grab Muscovy land? Get Lithuania to fabricate on Livonians and Riga before Denmark grabs them? Or to take Crimea before they go Otto?

I have heard of ways to declare on Bizantium and force-vassalize them to then grab their cores from Ottos, too.

Eat Muscovy and Ottomans. Do not let them expand with no push back. Hungary will probably get devoured/PUed before you start considering them. Eating Crimea isn't a bad idea but it all depends on the situation in game. Whatever prevents the Ottomans and Muscovy from coming at you is usually the best option.

No CBing Byzantium and vassalizing them is an easy strat people use to cut out the Ottoman threat early. It works, and its always an option at the start. It works best when Ottomans haven't rivaled you so you can get access and just walk on over to Byzantium.

One start is to disable the HRE, which Poland is one of the better countries to do it with. Here's a video on how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkbWVmpWdQ8

Another I like to do is to use the transfer subjects on Russia and take all of its subjects or however many you want. It's not as great as disabling the HRE or stealing Byzantium but it's fun.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I think the most recent patch actually fixed the harem/heir event for the ottoman government type so all of them aren't always completely trash.

The patch fixed it ya.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
It sounds like the league war has started for you. This is how everyone experiences it now. It has nothing to do with your computer. Outside of hoping they fix it soon you just have to power through it. If the league war isn't currently running don't know what to tell you.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
When Emperor came out that was just as broken. Though vassal swarms were more interesting than my capital is really big I guess.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 4, 2021

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

TheFlyingLlama posted:

basically, game balance being hosed with a new expansion/patch isn't ideal but also isn't like, a serious sign of things going shitfaced, but the serious in game bugs and like, outright broken poo poo or missing textures that came with launch leviathan really were

Ya that's fair. I forgot I just didn't close my game for a few days because of the save game bug. That was still annoying to me, also I know I had to eat a game to learn of the bug.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Demon_Corsair posted:

I have a real dumb question. What should I be doing at peace?

Building stuff, waiting for gold and monarch points to accumulate, completing your mission tree. Depends really on what your goals are and who you are playing as.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Yes the Roman Empire is one of those nations that doesn't play by the normal end game tag rules.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Africa becomes fun to play after 8 years and no one cares. Can't instantly blob with Austria and we need to burn it down.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hmm, how do I even go about playing Jewish? There has to be a trick to flip easily.

Without restarting a bunch of times the only definite way currently is to start as Ethiopia, kill the rebels at the start, then release and play as Semian. Due to the new Ethiopian mission tree, Ethiopia can remove Judaism really fast and for whatever reason they take the option 99% of the time to just remove Judaism by the event that pops up after clearing the rebels. It's a 2 stab hit to auto convert the provinces. By January they are almost always gone. You could also custom nation it, as I was reminded today those are a thing. Theres some event chain you can try to get as the Ottomans that ends up with you getting a Jewish province but its as rare as the Ethiopia not clearing Judaism in the first few months.

They already posted ya we hosed up and will change it so more countries can come on down and get the Judaism.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Yes but Ethiopia is now an endgame tag so you can't become Israel if that was your intention. Askum might not be an endgame tag though so if you wanna try something like Ethiopia -> Askum -> Israel good luck finding out for us.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Is there anything to raze in the americas? I honestly don't know as I've barely ever played in them.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
They probably got kicked out of Europe, made a home in Brazil, and got a claim by chance on you.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Definitely didn't know that. Pretty cool, annoying, but cool.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Broke my keyboard hitting z -> c in my wc. If there's an easier way to raze I didn't bother to find it. Even sitting at max monarch, raze that poo poo, you probably get a whole 20 ducats to add to your 20k that you have nothing to spend on.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
It's in Africa as I discovered with the expansion.

E: It must completely break the UI or something stupid if removed for it still to be in the game.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 28, 2021

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Poil posted:

I don't get the point of it, why waste military points to lose a decent +goods produced modifier? It's not like it's a lot of effort to garrison colonies against the super weak natives or just use the peaceful setting.

In the case of the African Power achievement you are racing against the ottomans to the Sinai peninsula. Also against Spain and Portugal from settling on the ivory coast and possibly the cape. So the minor boost in settling is worth it over the millions of ducats you're swimming in.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

skasion posted:

revanchism (most useless/forgotten mechanic in the game)

I just call it alt+f4.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Stairmaster posted:

how long does the malus for occupying rome last?

Till you're not catholic or I think by forming Italy.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
You can also just mothball the cogs for the time being.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
The ai also loves to reset sieges because you moved one province away, towards, or for whatever mysterious reason.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a way to not have Spain turn on Portugal? They just keep loving me over with ruinous wars are they are gargantuan, so I can't really stop them.

No. Other than restarting and hope they don't go domineering on you. Which they do 99% of the time currently. Portugal is just not an easy nation to play if you aren't a veteran of the game.

e: Play as new providence or learn how to flee to brazil.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Are we just ignoring Austria in this slap fight over the quality of PUs?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

trapped mouse posted:

So with all the buffs to Buddhism, is it actually worth it to convert from Tengri to Vajrayana via the Khan and the Dalai Lama event for Oirat/Mongolia/Yuan? I know it seems incompatible to the Horde playstyle, but even at its worst you're getting 2.5% discipline and 5% morale. Plus all of the potential bonuses from the new monuments.

I think you answered your own question with it doesn't seem compatible with hordes. You can get 5% discipline with shinto or 5% morale with sikh as tengri already. Neither are all that hard to get a hold of for any horde. All the monuments that are buddhist exclusive don't seem to offer anything for a horde. Most people are going to tell you flip to hindu if anything I'd imagine.

+1 horde unity and prestige yearly from the event is nothing to write home about either.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Castile is pretty easy to form Andalusia with. Just convert culture, flip to Sunni, then flip to Shia or Ibadi. Not sure why you want Shia or Ibadi. There's that one province in north Africa that starts Ibadi but it might get converted before you get there. There's also random events that flip provinces to Shia. I forget the triggers on it but I'm sure the wiki has the info. Otherwise just have to head east to get a province to convert off of.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
League war started, so was about to close the game then came up with an idea for the rest of my run. Should be an achievement but can't think of a good pun for it. Which would probably explain why it isn't. Piratus Maximus? :shrug:

Shoutout to the Erie Federation finishing 3rd.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Nothing happens as you can’t blockade landlocked countries.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Performance improved, it still slows down if you release a million nations but most people won't do that anyways.

Holy horde was fun but becomes a slog like all hordes.

Finland I gave up on quickly because I realized I had to actually think about stuff.

Poland is more fun, I assume Lithuania increased fun also.

Not sure how broken things are since we're all just abusing war taxes anyhow.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
It was in the dev diaries.

quote:

This was done in order to further facilitate the idea that Poland and Lithuania make a great co-op campaign, which is also complimented by both mission trees granting bonuses that follow the spirit of cooperation between the two nations.

So I guess for more historical accuracy? I think it was just easier to get the ai to work through the tree this way.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I've only seen em get split up because Sweden or Gotland pull them into a war with Denmark, which can kick off before the PU starts, and it gos horribly wrong and they get beat down.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
So I started a game and Poland didn't take the union or rather I guess Lithuania didn't take the union. Poland didn't join the HRE or get claims on Lithuania so I'm guessing it was all Lithuania...or it was a masterful AI Ruthenia plot cause they tag swapped.

Either way ya I guess the union can still fail.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Well thats one way to fix not joining the HRE.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
That was their best path to get the novgorod claims. With no claims on Lithuan..I mean Ruthenia they went around.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Ok so you need to complete Delegate with the Emporer to get the claims on Lithuania. Which requires either 160 and alliance, or 60 trust and a royal marriage with Austria. I can see this being a problem for some people and definitely for the ai. I instinctively just married/allied Austria when I played Poland which made me think this was a lot more of a freebee than it is. Heck they could mess up on the Varna mission even.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Just searching for map fonts in the workshop gave me a thousand results. Have fun picking one.

e: unless it still happens even with alternate fonts....

Box wine fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 8, 2023

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Hardware doesn't even help much in a big league war or a late coalition. Game engine seems to be maxed out. At least they did improve performance a couple of patches ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Nope don't have to join the HRE to become emporer.