Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My household has agreed to move away from extra lean 95% ground sirloin when making burgers. 80/20 is our new grind so long as a thermometer confirms food doneness.

I’m excited to serve something that’s less of a hockey puck on a bun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why would the fat ratio raise concerns of doneness?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It doesn’t but I don’t make the rules.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

Just watch a few youtube videos about smash burgers and doneness is no longer a problem.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Democratic Pirate posted:

100% understand here. I have a partner who does that.

Just wasn't sure if there was a hidden fact I didn't know about.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Monday night burging. Rump steak and a bit of onion smashed in the pan, with gruyère, tomato, crispy onions, cornichons and a roasted mushroom.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is still one of the all time great thread titles. I think of it nearly every time I wander through the meat department at the grocery

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nothing in this picture is homemade. It’s a store bought bun with a store bought burg, and I am not ashamed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

For a burger thread, there's a lot of stand-out tots

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Weekday dinner burgs

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Mexican burg

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I just got back from a 5 day family reunion “vacation” with the in-laws.

Cousin Chad made burgers. Worcestershire sauce, breakfast sausage and Greek seasoning mixed in with the beef. Okay, fine, I can enjoy a weird meatloaf burg. He made big honkin’ 1/2lb ish patties, dimpled the middle, looked good.

He then proceeded to grill them extra well done while squishing the everloving poo poo out of them, so big flames erupted. Over, and over, bracing and squishing with his bodyweight until no more juice could be squeezed out.

I just sat and watched. Forgive me.

They were so overcooked and dry that every bite was so mealy that it felt like what I imagine chewing a mouthful of fabric pills would feel like.

I must burg this weekend, to cleanse myself.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

God forgives you, my child. Make 4 tasty burgers and some sort of potato side as penance. Go in peace.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Footy night

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
i burg'd for lunch. i am satisfied now.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

iajanus posted:

Weekday dinner burgs

:australia:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

There's new caterers at our football club so had a burg while the wife played

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Normally I burg with MEAT but I'd never turn away a good veg patty. My mom made these little slider-sized buns and mostly-rice patties that she's been riffing on for decades. Took some home as leftovers and threw on some of her homemade sorta-tzatziki and pickle, toasted the bun in butter, and goddamn, best little burg I've had in a long while.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

i’m gonna burg

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Hypnolobster posted:

Normally I burg with MEAT but I'd never turn away a good veg patty. My mom made these little slider-sized buns and mostly-rice patties that she's been riffing on for decades. Took some home as leftovers and threw on some of her homemade sorta-tzatziki and pickle, toasted the bun in butter, and goddamn, best little burg I've had in a long while.

You got a recipe for those patties? Looks good and I've not considered rice as a veg burg substitute before.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

StarkingBarfish posted:

You got a recipe for those patties? Looks good and I've not considered rice as a veg burg substitute before.
I actually asked her for the recipe and got this, which isn't exactly a recipe but it is an accurate approximation of how my mom thinks about recipes.

quote:

Not Burger

I’ve made variations of this not-meat, not-vegan stuff for years as patties, pastry filling, and scrambled in a pan to sub for ground meat although it fools no one. Ingredients, as always, open to interpretation.

- 2/3 cup or so of uncooked basmati or brown rice, bulgur, quinoa, probably other grains
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons or more of tomato paste
- 3 to 4 green onions or a small cooking onion, chopped
- a cup, or heck, more cooked vegetation – I recently used lots of mushrooms and some green peas, but use anything that sounds good. Leftover winter squash, grated zuke, roasted peppers, cauliflower, whatever
- 1 cup or more of shredded mozzarella or cheese of choice
- 1/3 cup or so Parmesan
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of salt, more to taste
- pepper, smoked paprika, whatever spice you want to add

Grind uncooked grain of choice in blender. Toss in egg, tomato paste and pulverize some more. Scrape the slop into a bowl and add the other ingredients. You might choose to leave the onion and other veg in interesting-sized bits for texture, unless you’re cooking for [sister] in which case you have to pulverize all ingredients. Add water or broth if necessary to mix. Should be almost as thick as, say, cookie dough.

You can refrigerate this mess for a day or two if you like. I suspect it helps the uncooked grains think more seriously about being digestible. These can be dropped into a hot frying pan o’oil as burger-sized or nugget-sized lumps, baked in a 400/425-ish oven on a well-greased pan, maybe even grilled on a screen-ish thing. Nugget sizes work well with various dips for gatherings.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ror posted:

i’m gonna burg

Well
How was it

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

it was fuckin great. burgin still makes me feel good.

but I have have something more important to post than a burger report

https://twitter.com/howelldawdy/status/1672680810896322560

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Hypnolobster posted:

I actually asked her for the recipe and got this, which isn't exactly a recipe but it is an accurate approximation of how my mom thinks about recipes.

Amazing, thanks for this. I'd never have guessed the rice is uncooked.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ground rice is used in larb too

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

StarkingBarfish posted:

Amazing, thanks for this. I'd never have guessed the rice is uncooked.

At least its had some time to think about becoming digestible, which is more or less the same.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pork (!) smash burgers with gruyère and fried onions and some other stuff. Delicious

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

4th of July Burg

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
drat it's been a while.

BBQ double cheese bacon burg, pickled red onion, tomato and lettuce.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 15, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Raikiri posted:

drat it's been a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oY3WWRVaCQ

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Raikiri posted:

drat it's been a while.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Beefs of Burden

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Cross-posting from the general thread because I didn't realize this was a place to post your burger recipes.

Cat's Rosemary Burgers

1 lb Ground beef
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground rosemary

Mix salt and rosemary into ground beef. Wash your loving hands after doing this if you are doing this with your bare hands.

Divide into 4 (1/4 lb each) patties, roughly the same diameter as the buns you are using.

Grill over hot coals - 3 minutes per side.

Serves 4.

Really easy to make.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What happens if I don't wash my hands

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

They might end up delicious.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
A friend got me a cool little custom branding iron for my restaurant, it’s way too fun to brand a bun.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's cool and all but...those buns are amazing

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If SA had a burger brand would it be the grenade, or goatse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A dickbutt brand