Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MrYenko posted:

If SA had a burger brand would it be the grenade, or goatse?

The goat man's hands on either side of the burger bun, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

The goat man's hands on either side of the burger bun, for sure.
This would obviously necessitate two branding irons, one with a ring and one without.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Yum!

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Relative newcomer to cooking (only seriously started a couple months ago) but here's my burgs I made the other night that I'm pretty proud of:

Please be gentle

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rhopunzel posted:

Relative newcomer to cooking (only seriously started a couple months ago) but here's my burgs I made the other night that I'm pretty proud of:

Please be gentle
That's an excellent burg for someone who only started a couple months ago!

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

All burgs are a step to burging better, and you should be proud of that burg.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the thread consensus for a good burger grilling device? We finally have outdoor space (a back yard!) to own such a device. Mostly what I see are either what's chained together in front of Home Depot, or what Ace Hardware has on sale

I understand the standard black Webber tripod thing isn't a complete piece of poo poo but it's been many years since I saw one in person

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Hadlock posted:

What is the thread consensus for a good burger grilling device? We finally have outdoor space (a back yard!) to own such a device. Mostly what I see are either what's chained together in front of Home Depot, or what Ace Hardware has on sale

I understand the standard black Webber tripod thing isn't a complete piece of poo poo but it's been many years since I saw one in person

It's all personal preference.

Grill grates for pub burgers, griddle for smash

I can't speak for charcoal, as I am a lazy propane user. But for hardware Weber Spirit/Genesis is a solid choice. Great build quality and easy to source replacement parts down the road.

Blackstone seems to be middle of the road for for griddles, but they started the whole griddle craze.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can cook a burger on just about any gas or charcoal grill

if you want smash burgers a baking steel is ideal

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got a blackstone for last Christmas and I have a big 4.25lb grill press and I've gotten my smashburg technique so down this summer

It's been the best thing ever. No smoke inside, perfect lacy crispy burgs... and I love a crispy as the dickens little 2oz smashburg with cheese, nothing like following up a burger with an immediate second burger

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

A basic Weber kettle is an extremely versatile tool, that lets you grill, slow roast, or smoke things even. You can smoke things on a gas grill but it's quite the undertaking and not as effective.

When it comes to charcoal versus propane, all the science tells us all that the real flavor doesn't come from the charcoal briquettes, but instead from the fat dripping down onto the cooking surface, caramelizing and then spraying back onto your food.

Gas is easier to manage. Easier to clean and easier to use.

After 25 years of cooking things with wood and charcoal, I finally fully converted to a gas grill and a pellet smoker, But mostly because I have a bunch of kids and no longer have hours of down time to fill by loving with various forms of live fire.

When it comes to gas grills, The majority of the quality difference you'll find between low end and high-end grills is the build quality and how long it will last. The remainder of the quality is going to be found in the maximum temperature and other features.

You will not be able to tell the difference between a burger cooked on a $200 propane grill and a burger cooked on a $2,000 propane grill.

The guy cooking the burger on the two grills will absolutely notice the difference, and in a few years he'll be buying another $200 propane grill.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

blarzgh posted:

The guy cooking the burger on the two grills will absolutely notice the difference, and in a few years he'll be buying another $200 propane grill.

You can keep a $200 grill going for a decade if you can just keep it out of the weather. loving Weber and their discontinued parts :argh: I'm all-in on the cheap banjo burner (got any homebrewer friends?) + pan for the smash these days tho, the 10 minute burg is just too powerful.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a kamado and also a Weber Spirit. The kamado is nice but is a bit of a faff and I wouldn't use it for a few burgers. Awesome for smoking and cooking stuff a long time.

The Weber gas grill is what you want for doing a few burgers, and as mentioned you want a steel for smashing them on.

For doing steaks I've recently started using my Ooni pizza oven and a cast iron griddle pan, it works amazingly well and like a minute per side. I bet that would work well for burgs too, maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Burg-ed hard for baseball playoffs

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I was lazy. I had other things I could have prepared. Green things. But I’m weak and lazy. So I smashed.

But I had no buns. So I did what I had to do.

Hold me closer, tiny naanburg.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
bravery in the face of adversity

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks I ran out of tortillas and this reminded me we have an alarming amount of naan in the freezer

chia
Dec 23, 2005
drat. I need to make a vindaloo naan burger.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

chia posted:

I am stuck at home with no car and whatever is in the freezer. Just wolfed down some combination of chana masala (chick pea salsa or chunky bean dip if you're from texas), leftover chinese takeout rice, cheese and greek yogurt (high in protein) to hold it all together, wrapped in naan. I like to think of it as a loose approximation of fusion mexican indian tacos.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Dude, you made a kebab. It's okay. You're okay.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Kebaburger

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That in-range griddle fuckin slaps. Im super jealous.

blarzgh posted:

bravery in the face of adversity

:hmmyes:

chia posted:

Holy poo poo YES.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Made my first brioche buns and they had to become burgers

facebook photo copy protection

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

Beautiful

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

iajanus posted:

facebook photo copy protection

Pickleslabs

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
https://youtube.com/shorts/Ms_LUxltmco?si=J1lv9r2CTjU-PfHM

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Cold-smoked some beef-patties yesterday for an extremely basic and dirty breakfast burg today
Didn't smash, didn't prep too much, just onions, pickles, cheddar/Maasdammer and a brioche bun
I am a swine and not ashamed

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm more interested in the antigravity cheese.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm more interested in the antigravity cheese.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

antigravity cheese.

great username right there

Development
Jun 2, 2016

are breakfast sandwiches that have a smash patty considered burger thread material? asking for a goon

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Development posted:

are breakfast sandwiches that have a smash patty considered burger thread material? asking for a goon

I'll allow it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm OP and use that powerful station to bless your posting

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hell yeah. breakfast sandos are my obsession right now.

regular: homemade english muffins, breakfast sausage patty, american cheese, egg.

the perfect side? tater tots.

variants:
on a homemade biscuit

on brioche loaf

on brioche loaf with sunny side up egg, bacon and lettuce

with actual breakfast sausage instead of a patty

here is my smashburger tax tho:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

those loving tater tots look insane

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I don't think I've ever considered putting a smash burger on a breakfast sandwich but I suddenly have a mighty need.

[Edit] And, conveniently, four pounds of ground beef from my farm share in the freezer I need to burn through.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 16, 2024

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Cold-smoked some beef-patties yesterday for an extremely basic and dirty breakfast burg today
Didn't smash, didn't prep too much, just onions, pickles, cheddar/Maasdammer and a brioche bun
I am a swine and not ashamed

gently caress
yes
please
give

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm craving burgs and I want to get away from orderin fast food, but freezer section burgers are always these oversized slabs of flavorless meat. Can someone give me a recipe for making tasty burgs at home on a pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
easiest method is smashburgers. make ~1/4 lb balls of ground beef, then smush them flat into a hot skillet with some sort of flat metal object. i use the bottom of a saucepan. season the top, flip after a minute or two, put cheese on it, and it'll be done about when the cheese is well melted.

there are more complicated burger recipes, but they aren't necessarily better and smashburgers are all but foolproof.