Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Lime Tonics posted:

just get married at a wafflehouse or IHOP, they even have a catering menu. Some forgo that though, and choose walmart instead.

We have a donut shop here in Portland that offers a series of different wedding events:

https://www.voodoodoughnut.com/shop/special-occasions/#weddings

You get the venue, the ceremony, donuts for everyone, and coffee for everyone for dirt cheap. For example:

quote:

Price: $300

Details:

Legal wedding Ceremony for up to 24 (twenty four) people.

2 Staff Picked Voodoo Dozens.

Voodoo doll bride and groom doughnuts.

Doughnut heart centerpiece (writing optional).

Coffee for 24 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

girl pants posted:

every time my mom complains that my wedding is too cheap I'm gonna go down another tier in catering.

Waffle House buffet here we come! Hope my extended Canadian family likes grits! C:

lol

alternatively keep telling her everything you buy or every service costs 2-3x as much as it actually does and pocket all the extra cash - hello honeymoon fund

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My wedding was really loving cheap and I wouldn't change it if I had the opportunity. I considered the wedding dress/big catered event but it was not for me or my husband, and we were able to pay for it entirely ourselves despite being poor.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Labes for days posted:

My wedding was really loving cheap and I wouldn't change it if I had the opportunity. I considered the wedding dress/big catered event but it was not for me or my husband, and we were able to pay for it entirely ourselves despite being poor.

How many guests did you have?

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I was a groomsman in two weddings this summer and now I have a bunch of cool socks, one really nice hand painted tie from the Art Instittue of Chicago, a nice pink tie, a pink yarmukle, a pink pocket square, and a bunch of cool socks. Groomsman swag. I have yet to see any pictures.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
im giving my grooms men decent scotch and a personalized flask but to be honest the flasks are kinda worthless because we are all degenerate alcoholics and they do not hold enough alcohol to get us even buzzed probably

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Catastrophe posted:

We have a donut shop here in Portland that offers a series of different wedding events:

You get the venue, the ceremony, donuts for everyone, and coffee for everyone for dirt cheap. For example:

poo poo like this appeals to me at a gut level even though I can’t eat donuts or coffee

My parents really hosed me up by raising me in Portland for a couple years as a child

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Nooner posted:

im giving my grooms men decent scotch and a personalized flask but to be honest the flasks are kinda worthless because we are all degenerate alcoholics and they do not hold enough alcohol to get us even buzzed probably

I like your style.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Nooner posted:

I dunno man. The Stanley classic flask is 8oz. If you chug 8oz of scotch and don't even get a buzz idk

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Congrats nooner!!
We spent about 3k on our wedding. I was in grad school at the time so we were broke as gently caress. Yeah, it would have been nice if we had more money, but it was a magical day anyway :)
Some amazing and generous friends planned an afterparty and supplied booze, so everyone had a good time.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

haljordan posted:

How many guests did you have?

Immediate family only, which is again something that I have zero regrets about.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blue Train posted:

Same but I'll do it for 30

I think the marriage licenses are like 40 but whatevs. :shrug:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Labes for days posted:

Fuckin' A.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Our officiant was actually our good friend, who originally introduced us to each other. Did a great job. Glad I didn't have a church wedding, you gotta like go to classes and poo poo for that.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

haljordan posted:

Fuckin' A.

Our officiant was actually our good friend, who originally introduced us to each other. Did a great job. Glad I didn't have a church wedding, you gotta like go to classes and poo poo for that.

Yeah it’s cool because I can still marry people as an atheist.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah it’s cool because I can still marry people as an atheist.

Yeah he is also definitely not religious at all and did the certification online. I mean the ceremony itself is kind of just for show anyways, the marriage license is the only thing that counts.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

I think it was like $85 it was def expensive enough that i was like this is bullshit

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Nooner posted:

I think it was like $85 it was def expensive enough that i was like this is bullshit

that's twice what i plan to spend on the reception :eyepoop:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think of my self as a pretty social person with a large group of friends and acquaintances, yet I think I'd struggle to get past even 50 possible guests for a wedding and that's including extended family. When people talk about their 200+ person weddings who the hell is coming? People you don't even know? Weird long lost aunt-in-laws no one has ever met? Are these huge weddings generally for people who have very large extended families where everyone has 8 aunts and uncles who all had a ton of kids who also have a bunch of kids of their own?

On my wife's side there's just her mom, her step dad, aunt and uncle and 2 cousins, and grand parents. On my side it's my parents, a few aunts and uncles and a few cousins, and a couple surviving grand-parents. That's it family-wise.

The trend among everyone of my generation I know who's gotten married is to keep the ceremony very small and intimate and then just have a large casual reception after, sometimes not even a catered dinner affair just snacks and drinks and dancing.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Percelus posted:

it's not technically furry ok

Doesn’t that game have like 120 others chars you coulda picked from?

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
My brother does a lot of wedding videos, price starts at $5k and you don't get your video for 6-8 months. But for an extra thousand he'll bang out a quick highlight reel that you can show on loop during the reception. Then he just laughs all the way to the bank.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Flambeau posted:

My brother does a lot of wedding videos, price starts at $5k and you don't get your video for 6-8 months. But for an extra thousand he'll bang out a quick highlight reel that you can show on loop during the reception. Then he just laughs all the way to the bank.

Has he been doing it long enough where he can spot the couples who won't make it a year?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

haljordan posted:

The thing that amazed me most was how hard it was to find people to take our money (especially photographers, holy crap start looking now). I guess if you're good at that stuff you are booked solid wayyyyyyy in advance.

It's crazy how fast some stuff books, but we're also lucky in that we're taking our time and not rushing to the ceremony. The wedding is outside of the standard "wedding season" (October) and it's on a Sunday, so we don't have to deal with as much competition. We were supposed to meet a photographer last week, but we messed up the timing of something and had to cancel. We've also got some relatives that have a lot of connections in our area, so we're getting a great deal on a lot of stuff, even some freebies.

Catastrophe posted:

I find it completely unsurprising that Voodoo offers such a thing. Are the toppings as stale at the reception as they are when you buy them in shop??

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

It's crazy how fast some stuff books, but we're also lucky in that we're taking our time and not rushing to the ceremony. The wedding is outside of the standard "wedding season" (October) and it's on a Sunday, so we don't have to deal with as much competition. We were supposed to meet a photographer last week, but we messed up the timing of something and had to cancel. We've also got some relatives that have a lot of connections in our area, so we're getting a great deal on a lot of stuff, even some freebies.

I find it completely unsurprising that Voodoo offers such a thing. Are the toppings as stale at the reception as they are when you buy them in shop??

Yeah as long as you're giving yourself plenty of time you're fine. I was still surprised by the number of people who didn't even return our calls to tell us they were already booked lol

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Lemme tell you about my wedding, back in 1993:

- wife-to-be five months pregnant, living in hicksville with her mom over the summer while I toil away in the big city about three hours away
- traveled to wedding by bus
- I arrived late (bus held up an hour due to a parade)
- best man didn't show up (thought I was going to pick him up, on the bus, somehow)
- no actual shotguns at wedding (that I could see, anyway)
- outdoor wedding, didn't rain the whole month before, didn't rain the whole month after, rained that day
- cat wrecked cake
- couple of friends showed up sick as dogs with some kind of flu
- pot-luck reception (honestly the best part of the whole deal)
- "honeymoon" at grandma's house
- couldn't have sex because of rare pregnancy complication (low-lying placenta)
- got the same flu friends had, worst sickness I've ever had in my entire life
- had to travel back home three days after wedding to arrive for shift at 1pm
- decided to travel with wife's mom's trucker friend the day before because it would be "free" and I'd arrive earlier than the bus which would reduce stress on day of return to work
- maniac trucker feeds me uppers, stops for hours at a time at various truck stops, tells me how I should be banging every female relative of my wife, drops me off at his parents' place less than half an hour away from my lovely apartment at 10pm the night before shift because he's "too tired" to take me the rest of the way
- his parents own a farm
- farm includes many animals
- I'm asthmatic and allergic to all of them
- they put me on a bed in a hallway
- with a feather pillow
- which I'm also allergic to
- at 11 o'clock, while I'm lying in a hallway, fighting for breath, the four uppers which did nothing earlier in the day finally kick in
- I sleep like the dehahahaha I don't sleep a goddamn wink
- next morning I ask when assface is gonna pick me up
- they have no idea but cook me a real nice breakfast
- duder picks me up at 11, I'm getting nervous
- he's like "gotta stop at home for a bit"
- he FALLS ASLEEP IN FRONT OF HIS TV AND I COME THE CLOSEST I'VE EVER COME IN MY LIFE TO STRANGLING THE poo poo OUT OF ANOTHER HUMAN BEING BUT I JUST. DON'T. HAVE. THE STRENGTH.
- his wife pops in at about 12:15 and tells me she'll take me home
- I get home at 12:45
- drop my poo poo off, change my clothes without a shower, then bike like a madman to get to work on time
- work until 10:30
- go home
- die

Total cost:
- $100 for wedding license
- $100 for the rings
- a good portion of my sanity

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

:lol: GodDAMN that's not just cheap, that's a hellwedding

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
We're getting married at a wine bar in Sept of next year. Our venue + catering is gonna cost about $3500 (inc tip) for 40 people. So relieved we finally picked our venue as we'd been disputing it for weeks.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord

runupon cracker posted:

- cat wrecked cake

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
i went to a really well done "cheap" wedding this summer

the best one i saw was out in the country at a nice-but-not rich friend of the family and the total cost to rent it was putting the family up in a nice hotel in a city 45 minutes away and then paying a cleaning company to come clean up afterwards - about $500 i think

food was they paid a guy to come make pizzas with a portable pizza oven, and then friends just brought a few extra grills and grilled a bunch of different food, a lot of it provided by the couple, and then some people brought stuff. Total cost was like $1500 for food (pizza dude included) plus another $500 for kegs and booze

people were told to bring their own seats if possible, and they rented like 40 other chairs. i think all told they only spent like three grand and the goal was to just have a really fun, big party rather than a super-official wedding

the coolest part, i thought, was at sundown when everybody was having fun time already, the "vows" were exchanged but they'd gotten married earlier that week and just showed a 45 second of the video at the courthouse

the whole invite was basically "Hey we're inviting you to our wedding but we're really just looking to get a bunch of friends and family together and throw an awesome party for everybody. These are some hotels and motels that offered us group booking, and keeping in mind this is basically just a big cookout, please consider bringing some beer or wine or some food to throw on the grill"

Tumble fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 18, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Baronjutter posted:

I think of my self as a pretty social person with a large group of friends and acquaintances, yet I think I'd struggle to get past even 50 possible guests for a wedding and that's including extended family. When people talk about their 200+ person weddings who the hell is coming? People you don't even know? Weird long lost aunt-in-laws no one has ever met? Are these huge weddings generally for people who have very large extended families where everyone has 8 aunts and uncles who all had a ton of kids who also have a bunch of kids of their own?

On my wife's side there's just her mom, her step dad, aunt and uncle and 2 cousins, and grand parents. On my side it's my parents, a few aunts and uncles and a few cousins, and a couple surviving grand-parents. That's it family-wise.

The trend among everyone of my generation I know who's gotten married is to keep the ceremony very small and intimate and then just have a large casual reception after, sometimes not even a catered dinner affair just snacks and drinks and dancing.
We had 250 guests and it was 75 on my side and 175 on my wife's side. Her parents are among 10 and 12 siblings respectively. So she has a really big extended family and they are all local and people we see and visit regularly.

Though for some scale my wife's Quinceañera had 500 guests.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blue Train posted:

Your wife resents you sorry

Your wife resents the small penis but large wallet

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If people want to have something small scale, cheap and simple that's cool, I don't hold it against them. However, I guess because the wedding industry has gotten so bonkers I've seen the pendulum swing the other way where people get openly hostile to the idea of having a wedding that might have either a lot of people or cost a lot of money. The whole 'bridezilla' thing also reeks of a lot of sexism. While there are definitely some brides that act entitled and/or unreasonable, there are also plenty of situations where the bride has genuine frustrations, but people dismiss it as 'bridezilla' behavior. Women tend to bear the majority of the burden of social planning, and have to deal with a lot of other lazy people that don't want to make any proactive decisions yet piss and moan when the other person takes the initiative.

And nobody really talks about 'groomzillas' but they exist, because my brother was one. My brother's wedding was the cheapest wedding in our family, which compared to some of the stories here was still rather opulent I guess; he had it at this place in Lake Tahoe. The wedding itself was pretty nice; we rented cabins and the view of the lake made for some excellent photos. My family helped my brother out financially, but he was kind of a shitheel to them. Because they were both terrible at details and planning, my brother and his wife hadn't arranged for flowers at all (its not that they didn't want them, they just dithered about it for too long). Finally my mom took the initiative and drove out to Carson city to pick up flowers and my brother got pissy that they weren't the flowers he wanted. The night before the wedding we were planning on having a nice dinner (kind of a rehearsal dinner I guess) but my brother ditched us to hang out with his fiancees family without telling anyone (and lying about his phone getting no signal). So everybody had the dinner without them and got buzzed on margaritas, then someone brought more booze and we all sat in the hot tub getting shitfaced while talking about much of an rear end my brother was the whole time.

During the ceremony one of my other brothers got heatstroke and face planted during the middle of the ceremony. Up to this point my mom and the bride's mom had spent two months practicing a violin duet they never got to play because my younger brother had to be rushed to the ER. Food was good, but my wife and I were disappointed there was no DJ or dancing afterward. Honestly the bride and groom-less rehearsal dinner/evening ended up being more fun.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

runupon cracker posted:

dear god what the christ

:stare:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Catastrophe posted:

Uhhh, that might be a bigger ripoff than actual wedding venues. 1 donut + 1 coffee per person? $300? And a donuts place rental? How is that dirt cheap? I must be misreading something, correct me, please, I love to be wrong

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Nooner posted:

I'm getting married tomorrow (:

Congratulations, Nooner.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
A friend of mine stole flowers from banks rather than buy any.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

How is that dirt cheap?

It's dirt cheap because it's really cheap. No one is saying it's good. It's cheap.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Niagara Falls is the goto “we technically had an international destination wedding” for large swathes of the Midwest. This is bad, don’t do it!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

Niagara Falls is the goto “we technically had an international destination wedding” for large swathes of the Midwest. This is bad, don’t do it!

Lmao really? As someone who lives in Upstate NY, I find it baffling that large numbers of people would travel so far to get married there.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Labes for days posted:

Labes for days posted:

the winning lifehack right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Kind of cool seeing the flipside of 'we spent almost nothing on our wedding just leveraged favors with friend and family" stories itt.

I was expecting more of the kind of stuff you see in the r/relationship thread where it's "our friend/family member wanted to have a cheap wedding but used us as slave labor" posts.

I wonder if the brides/grooms from those stories saw nothing wrong with it and tell people the same stuff we're reading in this thread.

• Locked thread