Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
cheap/simple weddings are cool but every wedding discussion on the internet turns into a circlejerk of people competing to see whose wedding was the cheapest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my wedding will be the most expensive, for it will be combined with my funeral.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'll win that since mine never got out of the planning stages.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Decide to get married.

Church the wife's family goes to is holding a retreat at a church camp resort dealie not far from my family, which makes it the perfect venue because half the people we'd invite are already going to be there and my family can all make it without even needing to spend the night in a hotel if they don't want to.

We had to do it Sunday morning with a luncheon and no booze because they're adventists so no fun allowed on Saturdays and no booze period, which means a morning wedding and then a luncheon. We only had to pay a tiny cost per plate because they only wanted to make us cover the costs of making the luncheon fancier and we also rented place settings because the stuff at the resort wasn't as nice.

My wife got her dress made as a gift from a friend who's' a professional seamstress.

I got a suit but didn't spend a ton of money.

Cake was made by my cousin who studied at a really nice culinary school.

We got minimal flowers because my wife is a huge tomboy and didn't give a crap.

So basically we spent like two grand to have our wedding at a lakeside resort in an area where normally a wedding like that would cost someone like 50K at least.

I would have preferred a more traditional afternoon wedding and dinner + party after with booze but whatevs. We had a party for our normal friends a few weeks later.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

I'm having my wedding catered by a soul food restaurant and if you want to throw a fit about it don't come because that's more oven-fried chicken, mac and cheese and sweet potato pie for everyone else :colbert:

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
My wedding will consist of me and my future husband getting married in the alley behind the courthouse, then me eating a delivery pizza in a bar (he can't eat gluten so he's on his own). It will cost $100 (the cost of a marriage license in my state) and let all my friends and family know that I don't care enough about them to want them there when I make a commitment to my life partner. But it is very cheap, so the internet will approve.

Seriously though since my last post my mom has sent me 5-10 messages about how she wants my wedding to look that have ranged from "it has to be a sit down dinner with waiters and champagne" to "fine, do whatever you want, I don't care at all" when I didn't respond quickly enough. She sent these messages between 2 am and 6 am, when I was asleep.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
After 15 years together, we decided to get married. Paid for the license, found an officiant who provided the two witnesses needed, and got married in her office. The "ceremony" took less time than the elevator ride to her office. Went out to get the rings afterwards, then out for dinner and drinks. I wouldn't change a thing.

My sister, on the other hand, had the huge wedding spectacle which, when I asked how much it cost, my mother handwaved the question and mumbled around 100K.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cheap weddings are fine, dry weddings are the fifth circle of hell.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
i had some friends that one morning decided to go to the county courthouse and get married and that was pretty rad & the right way to do it. they even have a little courtyard trellis thing you can stand under and a prepared speech you can do if you want or modify it if you like. it fit their personalities extremely well and i always admired that.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Seriouse post I've gotten beyond poo poo faced at every wedding I've went to including waking up in the bride and grooms.hotel room and drinking champaign with them in the morning. so they saved some money there.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Went to the office to get registered, then had lunch with my mom, and her parents.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm getting married in February, and I don't think we're going over 15k. Might be closer to 10k. Weddings are annoying to plan for, I can't imagine spending more than we already have.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I got married yesterday (:

Check out @noonerSA’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/noonerSA/status/932290019775070208?s=09

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhhhhhhh!!!! How awesome to give us a photo!!!!! Wow!!!! You guys look great and so happy! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Congrats nooner

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Congrats, flamingo man

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Congrats and well done!

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
gj on the pants

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nooner posted:

Check out @noonerSA’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/noonerSA/status/932290019775070208?s=09

That dress is for a 9 foot tall woman. :stare:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

What a lovely dress! It's an expense down the road she won't really regret since there are now such nice photos :)

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

That dress is for a 9 foot tall woman. :stare:

It's a wedding dress

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
if you have a free bar you can be cheap on absolutely everything else and no one of worth will care

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Nooner posted:

Congrats nooner

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Barudak posted:

My wedding had 450ish guests, 6 of them were my side. It was super affordable and we made a fortune off gifts.

Consider marriage into a rural rich family from another country that lives in a tourist tow, fellow goons.

How did your wife invite 444 people lmao

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
We had just moved in together and started paying a mortgage and furnishing our first house so had very little disposable income.

Registry office wedding, 400 dress for her, suit/shoes from Burtons for me.

Her aunt made the cake.

Wife to be spent the night before the big day prepping a buffet at the house.

After the ceremony we went back to our tiny house with all our friends and family and partied, drinking beer Id got on clearance as it was all split packs.

Everyone enjoyed it and people still say what a great day it was and weve been married for 22 years.

Several friends including one couple who spent 25,000 and another who spent 30,000 separated very shortly after marrying.

I just think its a colossal waste of money fussing about loving napkin rings and table decorations etc when most couples would probably be better off spending it on furniture or something.

Anyway, congrats Nooner your photo is great and your new wife is very pretty.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Nooner posted:

Check out @noonerSAs Tweet: https://twitter.com/noonerSA/status/932290019775070208?s=09

This is a Pro Suit

Grats nooner

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We eloped.

Our wedding costs were

- gas - 7$
- marriage license - 120$
- boozeaholic dinner - $55

family decided they wanted to throw us a party a few weeks after that.

groceries - $60
giant-rear end lobster pot - $30

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
my parents got married after having lived together for a few years and had the reception at their house. All the photos from the wedding are of both of them in the basement eating stuff with people. That was 42 years ago and they're still together.

meanwhile i've been to two ridiculously expensive weddings in the past couple of years. My ex's brother got married at this event venue in Toronto and what I'm told the final tab was about 110k, when both husband and wife had six figures in student debt each. They were separated in 4 months and their divorce became finalized 2 years to the day.

My buddy got married at the ritz carleton in New Orleans, again, like a 75k wedding I'm told, prices only kept down because not that many people came. I don't even think they broke 4 months before they separated, and they're divorced now too.

cheap weddings are where it's at man.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Weddings used be informal affairs until the wedding industry hyped the while you must have a 30K plus wedding mindset.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

etalian posted:

Weddings used be informal affairs until the wedding industry hyped the while you must have a 30K plus wedding mindset.

Bridezillas is a fun show to watch from time to time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

Bridezillas is a fun show to watch from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmGCD1uCh-g

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My wife's folks are divorced and very estranged (from each other), and my folks and most family are in a religious cult. ...Mostly to avoid obligating these people to show up, we flew to Vegas and eloped. Called everyone after which was also fun. My mom didn't like it, but it's their own fault.

I can't fault big weddings if you can afford them. My cousin has had four, and they were all great fun! :v:

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Catastrophe posted:

We have a donut shop here in Portland that offers a series of different wedding events:

https://www.voodoodoughnut.com/shop/special-occasions/#weddings

You get the venue, the ceremony, donuts for everyone, and coffee for everyone for dirt cheap. For example:

Is that the place that used to have the NyQuil filled Jelly donut?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

My parents are giving us $25k to do with as we choose in exchange for my dad being allowed to invite his friends (which like, cool, they're all nice people and one of them is in the same champion brewing club as he's in so we're getting awesome custom wedding beer) and a mandatory open bar (again, not an issue). Anything not spent is ours for the honeymoon or whatever. Our guest list is approaching 200 people and even with alumni discount + December discount to get married at my Alma Mater I feel like we're going to come close :negative: My fiance (also a goon :3: ) originally wanted to get married in Ireland but holy poo poo the logistics of that and the cost is a loving nightmare.

Nooner posted:

You both look super happy, congrats! :dance:

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
congrats Nooner!

Every wedding I've ever been to, the couple is still married. What I'm saying is, invite me to your wedding to ensure the safety of your marriage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

How did your wife invite 444 people lmao

Her dad is extremely well connected in their hometown so maybe 50 were actual blood relatives and everyone else were people who owed various tiers of favors to her family.

We made an absolute killing on wedding gifts.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Aww congrats Nooner! :, )

I have been to one fancy expensive wedding and one not fancy not expensive reception and the food was really good at the fancy one but both were fun, none of my friends are probably getting married and i am unloved too and have like none family so this is likely all my experience with weddings ever. The poster with the cat cake rain wedding riding home with trucker sounds awful but is hilarious and I am happy to have read it, thank you for sharing.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Barudak posted:

Her dad is extremely well connected in their hometown so maybe 50 were actual blood relatives and everyone else were people who owed various tiers of favors to her family.

We made an absolute killing on wedding gifts.
:same: But with my fathers people.

I remember being too drunk to gently caress so we decided to open up some of the cards. I was sitting at the table of our honeymoon suite and read a couple of the cards with the check amounts and I only got to 2 or 3 before my wife, lying on the bed started getting pissed at me because she thought that I was loving with her.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Grats to Nooner on being married. What a champ :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's this assumption that there is a correlation between how much was spent in a wedding and how likely the couple is to get divorced. But I think it's just confirmation bias.

When we see a huge tacky wedding and later find out the marriage didn't work, it is really easy to jump to the assumption that it was not surprising. Then people apply the opposite logic and figure that couple that is super frugal and pragmatic is going to have a solid marriage in contrast. But there's so many outliers. The people with the big tacky wedding probably would've gotten divorced anyway, which means the money spent on the wedding didn't really have much to do with it in the end. And similarly there are plenty of cheap (ie shotgun) weddings that don't work out, but people often don't attribute the cost toward the success of the wedding in that case.

• Locked thread