Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This was a really good movie. Yes nothing remarkable or incredibly original happened in it but it was so good and real and the writing was so consistently on point, who gives a poo poo?

I think my only note would be it goes on like three minutes too long. I thought the part where she introduced herself as Catherine would have been the better end point that said most of what the scenes that followed said a little more bluntly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean the speech was clearly about how she already missed home. just like how the city she had spent her entire life in took on a new form as she drive around fir the first time, it's something else now that it's all the way on the other side of the country.. I thought the scene was nice just all if that had already been implied or at least didn't need to be stated.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I finally saw the movie and like it a lot, and I expect it will grow on me even more on repeat viewings.

That said, one thing I didn't quite follow was why the mom was so angry about the financial aid applications and acceptance into the New York college. I get her being hurt about it being done behind her back, but I'm still fuzzy on why Lady Bird and her dad felt the need to do so to begin with.

she's worried if Lady Bird leaves, she'll never come back

They also do it behind her back because every time it's brought up, the Mom just shuts the conversation down and is clear she doesn't want it to happen and won't allow it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bibs getting the name wrong was my bad because he was quoting me and I'm terrible with names and I guessed when I would usually look it up.

Edit and I just now realized the Mom was the Aunt from Roseanne :aaaaa:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

there were a bunch of moments that really sent me right back to being a theater dork in high school. Lucas Hedges' audition song was one that I had practiced back when I was auditioning for musicals, the theater games and rehearsals, the group of high schoolers loving around at a diner after the show, the discussion and rationalizing of who gets what roles, etc. Made the scene with the JV football coach leading rehearsal really, really funny.

also Kyle reading Howard Zinn is the most "super cool high school guy who is above it all" thing and I laughed very loudly when I caught it and I was the only one.

The scene where he's at the party by himself smoking and reading by the swimming pool just made me laugh out loud because fuckin hell kid.

• Locked thread