Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i remember reading an article in macaddict circa 2001 where they had this huge multi-page infographic and explanation of pipeline bubbles and flushes were such a huge performance impediment to CISC processors that the 733mhz dual-processor g4 really was better than any of those comparably-priced dumb old 1.8 xeons

the first gen p4s were so bad that a 733 mhz g4 really was in spitting distance of a 1.8 xeon

(edit: maybe not actually better but not as stupid slow as it sounds)

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

LinYutang posted:

silicon graphics introduced UNIX to a generation

the entry level system to run this graphics demo (the filesystem navigator, fsn) was about $5,000. it takes about half an hour to boot the OS in the base configuration, because it thrashes swap continuously.

at home on my desk i have one upgraded with 64MB of RAM. it's a cool, fun little piece of 1990s nostalgia that doesn't swap constantly. but back then, the 64 MB of RAM would have cost more than the computer you were putting it in

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
How the gently caress did Unix get so bad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

by committee, presumably

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the entry level system to run this graphics demo (the filesystem navigator, fsn) was about $5,000. it takes about half an hour to boot the OS in the base configuration, because it thrashes swap continuously.

at home on my desk i have one upgraded with 64MB of RAM. it's a cool, fun little piece of 1990s nostalgia that doesn't swap constantly. but back then, the 64 MB of RAM would have cost more than the computer you were putting it in

you know an Indy is an Indigo without the go, right?

still was planning to pick one up today, except I got a flat tire on the way to the place that had it and they were closed by the time I had it taken care of

maybe tomorrow, or maybe I’ll just re-cap my original Mac II and install A/UX

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

at least in the case of SGI Irix, read Software Usability II

of course when it was leaked outside the company, the original author had to manage the resulting controversy by posting some further comments

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

weak foundations

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

of course when it was leaked outside the company, the original author had to manage the resulting controversy by posting some further comments

This is really good

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

just imagine, we now have computers with a thousand times as much ram, and we have developed text editors and newsreaders that take up a thousand times as much space to accomplish the exact same tasks, except now they spy on us

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just downloaded titanfall 2 for 10 bucks and it's 63 gigabytes

35 gigs of that is uncompressed audio files in like eight different languages because, quote,

quote:

“We have audio we either download or install from the disc, then we uncompress it. We probably could have had audio decompress off disc but we were a little worried about min spec and the fact that a two-core machine would dedicate a huge chunk of one core to just decompressing audio.”

“So… it’s almost all audio… On a higher PC it wouldn’t be an issue. On a medium or moderate PC, it wouldn’t be an issue, it’s that on a two-core [machine] with where our min spec is, we couldn’t dedicate those resources to audio.”

programer am gud

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mp3 was released in 1993

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

doom 3 used vorbis compressed audio 13 years ago on single core machines. even if they want lossless audio for max quality or whatever there are compression algorithms like lz4 which are extremely fast to decompress

and how does nobody at a huge company know how language packs for separate languages works?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the only good mobile multitasker rip the touchpad and webos 3

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*google and apple keep eyeing stacks but move slowly so as not to tip off palm hp lg*

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

i have some hp touchpads go in a box somewhere

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

eschaton posted:

quote:

The news reader "xrn", starts out small, but leaks memory so badly that within a week or so it grows to 9 or 10 megabytes

Intolerable!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

mp3 was released in 1993

and plenty of systems have audio APIs that will leverage hardware for nearly transparent MP3 and AAC playback (which is why you should never include your own CODECs)

never mind that plenty of games have used MP3 and Ogg Vorbis in the background over the last 18 years or so with little performance impact

shipping uncompressed audio for a game is just gross incompetence these days

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

never mind that plenty of games have used MP3 and Ogg Vorbis in the background over the last 18 years or so with little performance impact

i think the last time i saw a system struggle to play an mp3 was my family's old 486, which could do it provided the file was mono, less than 44.1KHz and you weren't trying to run anything else simultaneously

by the time pentium 2s rolled out in the latter half of the 90s mp3 playback took next to nothing in terms of system resources

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

they were targeting 8 mb of RAM in the base model

the freaking news reader, the simplest GUI tool after a clock, leaked enough memory to fill system ram

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

a brief period of terrible software bloat happened to coincide with a spike in memory prices, at the critical moment when american and european businesses were making big investments in desktop computing

by 1996-1997 falling memory prices had fixed the problems, but the boat was missed. windows 3.11, windows 95, and windows NT ruled the roost. it was too late to meaningfully compete for the desktop.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The_Franz posted:

by the time pentium 2s rolled out in the latter half of the 90s mp3 playback took next to nothing in terms of system resources

mp3 only became patent-free in the US like six months ago

the choice between spending thousands of dollars of your own money in license fees or thousands of pennies of your customers' money on drive space and bandwidth is no choice at all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

keep in mind while you read this that an sgi indy was a 100 MHz R4000 RISC chip. it had 4 or 5x the CPU power of contemporary x86, at the same price.

it still managed to be unusably slow, purely because of the issues in this memo.

sgi hosed it up unusually badly, but hp and sun weren't far behind. it was just a really awful time all around.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

the choice between spending thousands of dollars of your own money in license fees or thousands of pennies of your customers' money on drive space and bandwidth is no choice at all

yeah, mp3 had licensing issues. that's why so much software used vorbis for compressed audio

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

vorbis was released under a bsd license in 2001

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

my webos tv likes to run out of memory and crash the current app if I swap apps too often

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

vorbis was released under a bsd license in 2001

and is a better codec

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ogg vorbis is probably the most used audio container/codec today thanks to spotify

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
stupid name tho

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah its dumb lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cool max headroom reference on the video codec though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know what ogg means but (tu) "vorbişi" is romanian for (you) "have spoken" and while i know the codec is named after a terry pratchett reference (ughhhhhhhh) i think the romanian terminology is better given that it's a sound codec

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

cool max headroom reference on the video codec though

come in control

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

eschaton posted:

come in control

it was bold because realmedia was the first one to promise a video 20 minutes into the future

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's how windows won

good. pure compute is important for goonboxes and datacenters, not for regular consumer computers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

The_Franz posted:

yeah, [useful thing] had licensing issues

it's hilarious how people still try to make money off consumer technology standards and then wonder why everyone jumps ship to a slightly shittier but free standard (you're supposed to make money off the product which implements the standard idiots)
and more generally how people think "best but more expensive" will ever win out against "good enough and dirt cheap" in the consumer market (protip there's a reason it's called the consumer market not the pro or enterprise market)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

my webos tv likes to run out of memory and crash the current app if I swap apps too often

lg gonna lg, i suppose. the touchpad was good for lots of stacks and apps, considering. i wish theyd do more with it but at this point it cant go back to tablets without another acquisition cause they certainly wont make a full launcher for android on their own

flakeloaf posted:

it was bold because realmedia was the first one to promise a video 20 minutes into the future

:wow:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

good. pure compute is important for goonboxes and datacenters, not for regular consumer computers.

it would have been nice to abandon x86 forever and live in a multi-vendor unix world instead

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

yeah, mp3 had licensing issues. that's why so much software used vorbis for compressed audio

mp2 and mp3 were both licensed extremely cheaply and widely used though?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlOi-L-N0X4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

echinopsis posted:

stupid name tho

discworld lmao

• Locked thread