Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
fp made me aware of managing state better, before that I was just like yolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ultravoices posted:

computerphile just posted their what is a monad video, which was somewhat helpful, but stay for the end for the presenter making bitchy spergy functional programmer comment about why they are called monads and not something more understandable for mere computer programmers.

computerphile is kind of bad lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I recently went through https://underscore.io/books/scala-with-cats/ and monads finally really clicked for me. recommend.

I'm a little bit disappointed the book doesn't have as many cats as I thought it would have

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i was taking a programming languages class in college, where they reviewed different paradigms including oop, functional, and logic programming. the functional part was done in ML and took up most of the class. about 90% of the students hated it, or at least didn't get it, and couldn't wait to go back to java. i was in the 10% that loved it! ended up doing an fp undergrad research project with the prof of that class, which helped me get into grad school :shobon:

I did a coursera programming languages course that starts with ML and I hated it for a while but I assumed it was mostly because of the static typing. I was definitely not used to it back then. But now that I think about it, I guess it was more than just that, it was the whole "humbling" experience of learning functional programming that got to me.

• Locked thread