Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I think floating point has its uses but many people are not aware of the particular challenges and limitation it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people used to pretend that FP was good because it could automatically take advantage of parallelism. when that didn’t pan out, they switched to being indignant a having to write loops.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fp made me realize that most developers have no idea how computers work

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

a bash oneliner that pipes files through multiple tools is functional programming. never clicking on this thread again so I won't see your replies

functional programming is not just about repeatedly copying arrays of data, although honestly it mostly is

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
frame pointers are useful for when you want a stack trace on garbage architectures, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
*fart-huffing intensifies*

• Locked thread