Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when i went to university the first course in the cs program was programming in sml

level-wise it was that the first assignment involved implementing integer multiplication as a function without using *, or the standard library (and we were plain not told about looping constructs in ml existing until the end of the course). very very easy recursion from where i am sitting now

it was a great assignment because half the class thought they were hot poo poo having learned some things about c or pascal by rote, and everyone ended up being intellectually level because no one really knew anything (or, for that matter, had seen ml before), didn't take anyone long, but no one instantly solved it

none of the assignments took more than 30 or so loc as i recall, but i learned a lot, not least about being a know-it-all nerd because i hammered at the keyboard a bunch before i attended the class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

much as i like f# it takes some doing to view a linear order being required as a positive.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: hrm, had not kept up with present-day ocaml, retracting this

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 14, 2017

• Locked thread