Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Best case scenario based on what we've seen, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'd be absolutely fine if the series steered towards future robot communism.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'd be absolutely fine if the series steered towards future robot communism.

only if it's gay robot luxury communism

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I just ran across the season 3 trailer on youtube.

This series ended with the final episode of season 1. Thus it shall remain.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

only if it's gay robot luxury communism

It’s true there’s not enough (any?) gay stuff in this show

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

It’s true there’s not enough (any?) gay stuff in this show

They had Logan be bisexual in the most cowardly blink-and-you'll miss it kinda way possible. (Also the most cliche possible character to have be bi, too)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 22, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The cool engineer lady who died in the second season shares a passionate kiss with one of the lady Androids while it is powered down.

Also one of the male techs used one of the male droids for jacking it I think

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So all the queer people in this show are crazy or committing sexual assault

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Is it gay to gently caress a sexbot of the same sex?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Badger of Basra posted:

So all the queer people in this show are crazy or committing sexual assault

To be fair, every single character in the show is crazy and/or committing sexual assault.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but they did use the ol' "look at how depraved this Logan character is he's going off with a woman and a man has he no morals!"

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The only good episodes of season 2 were delos dad and Akacheeta. Who the gently caress cares about Dolores and her army of murder robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYaV1q2Wa4M

This scene is legit heartbreaking and its more interesting than whatever the gently caress season 3 is supposed to be. Wow the robots are as evil as the humans!

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 22, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like me some murder robots tbh

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I literally forgot about James Delos and I bet most other people have as well. I'm just here for the murder bots don't disappoint me Season 3!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The worst thing about Westworld is how much of it is I do remember.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
When is the third season supposed to start?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

When is the third season supposed to start?

March 15

Also, here's some alternate trailers that were hidden on some ARG site or something.

This one is mostly the same as the official trailer, only minus the Guns N Roses cover and has a few different scenes/VOs in the second half. Gives the trailer a much darker, less anime tone.

Here's a shorter trailer checking in on how everyone's doing in season 3. Turns out, not well.

And finally, something a little less serious...

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Problematic Pigeon posted:

And finally, something a little less serious...

I wanna see this movie

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do you think they’ll call it Reichworld or go for something more tasteful

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It’s weird to me that anyone watches this for the killbots because every fight/battle scene of season 2 was boring, poorly shot, had no stakes, etc.

I’m a huge theme park nerd and the park aspect plus the genre mashup of sci-fi and western was intriguing to me. Also that plus having seen the original film was what drew me in initially. While I also think season 1 is a perfect one-off mini series, I think they blew their load too early on removing the operating park aspect.

In season 2, the James Delos episode and ghost nation dude episode showed me what the show can do when given room to breathe and explore its core concepts instead of pushing the plot tirelessly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It’s weird to me that anyone watches this for the killbots because every fight/battle scene of season 2 was boring, poorly shot, had no stakes, etc.

I dunno, the scene where Maeve clowned on the Man in Black was pretty funny and good.

Her ultrabot powers in Season Two were one of the better things that happened, and the show's complete inability to know what to do with her and her emerging gestalt betrayed a pretty clear disinterest in the show's supposed "themes".

I'm honestly confused as to how a season that consistently suggested it would end in a Maeve/Delores showdown absolutely did not do that.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Do you think they’ll call it Reichworld or go for something more tasteful

I remember reading somewhere that the WWII setting was in Vichy France and not Nazi germany. Hopefully this is what they do cause I could see some serious cans of worms if they set that story in actual germany

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That makes much more sense, because in France you can play resistance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm so not there for the reveal that they never left the park. Or are in another verison of the park, rebuilt, in the future, because reasons. Who cares?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Seeing those big industrial-style robots walking about, I had a thought: Attack of the 50 foot Dolores.

MikeJF posted:

That makes much more sense, because in France you can play resistance.
Reichworld:
Black hats: Waffen SS
White hats: Totally-clean-hands-for-sure Wehrmacht

Resistance World:
Black hats: Collaborators
White hats: Resistance

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Considering the park clientele, most of their hats will have little skulls on them.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Westworld: We ARE the baddies!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Seeing those big industrial-style robots walking about, I had a thought: Attack of the 50 foot Dolores.

More like Kaijuworld with Dolores awakening the monsters while Maeve gestalts herself into a Megazord/Jaeger/Ultraman

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zeta Acosta posted:

The only good episodes of season 2 were delos dad and Akacheeta. Who the gently caress cares about Dolores and her army of murder robots.

There were some quality Ford scenes as well.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Astroman posted:

There were some quality Ford scenes as well.

I hope someone made a gif of Ford shooting one of their candy apple red P90s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

In season 2, the James Delos episode and ghost nation dude episode showed me what the show can do when given room to breathe and explore its core concepts instead of pushing the plot tirelessly.

Looking back, those two are the only episodes I gave a drat about because of how human, for lack of a better word, they were.

The Ghost Nation episode may well be my favourite episode of the entire show.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm sure they're going to keep making the plot be convoluted nonsense, but at least it's still the best-looking show on TV since Hannibal.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I assume Nolan and Joy are still going on a five season plan? Season 4 and 5 really need to not have these huge breaks, it hurts the momentum of the show.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 23, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's been renewed for an eight episode fourth season. But two years to produce eight episodes of television is becoming less of an outlier. (Altered Carbon, Game of Thrones, Homeland, High Castle).

Doesn't really correlate with the quality of the final product either.

That said, Westworld has been a famously shambolic production. They've had two production halts, an actor died, another was hospitalized, there was that fire, unfinished scripts, actor availability issues leading to recasting and refilming... I'm surprised HBO didn't tell them to wrap it up during the third season given the ratings it's been pulling and the level of critical disinterest. But hey, whatever, I'll still watch it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, I forgot that the first season was delayed too. Is Fares Fares coming back, or was he just a guest star? I haven't seen any annoucements. I assume Shannon Woodward has been written out (aside from flashbacks if they choose). Elise was super underused in season 2 - they brought her back mainly to give someone for Bernard to explain technobabble about the Hosts, and she could have been used more.

Man, this show has such a great cast.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Entropic posted:

I'm sure they're going to keep making the plot be convoluted nonsense, but at least it's still the best-looking show on TV since Hannibal.

Handmaid's Tale's plot is also increasingly ridiculous, but is also fantastically well-shot

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that the first season was delayed too. Is Fares Fares coming back, or was he just a guest star? I haven't seen any annoucements. I assume Shannon Woodward has been written out (aside from flashbacks if they choose). Elise was super underused in season 2 - they brought her back mainly to give someone for Bernard to explain technobabble about the Hosts, and she could have been used more.

They're both dead on the show. I can't remember if he was every a regular though, but the show had Lili Simmons as a regular for a grand total of one episode playing another Clementine so who knows.

Wafflecopper posted:

Handmaid's Tale's plot is also increasingly ridiculous, but is also fantastically well-shot

It is a very pretty show, even by television standards (which are much higher these days). It pulls of the trick of being gorgeous while also using a style that you can shoot on a decent budget. No way could Westworld pull off its look without its budget.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Having big names is both a really cool part of the show, but it must make production and scheduling a nightmare.

The costs of running the parks would be so high, I'm not sure how Delos would make any money off it. Rich people with more money than sense accounts for some of it, but I'm not sure there are that many people who would put down that kind of cash. It's 7 grand a day, if I'm remembering the lore right.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 24, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OldMemes posted:

Having big names is both a really cool part of the show, but it must make production and scheduling a nightmare.

The costs of running the parks would be so high, I'm not sure how Delos would make any money off it. Rich people with more money than sense accounts for some of it, but I'm not sure there are that many people who would put down that kind of cash. It's 7 grand a day, if I'm remembering the lore right.

Wasn't the park's actual purpose just to spy on their guests so it could use that information to blackmail or manipulate their guests in real world dealings?

Or maybe that was someone's theory. I can't even remember anymore after all the stupid poo poo in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah and also to map people's brains to possibly advance the "upload our minds to a robot body" thing as well right?