Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
the parks actual purpose is sexual assault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Making perfect robot copies of the super wealthy was Delos' long term plan, but they were a long way off. The closest they got was Bernard, and that only worked because he was different enough from Arnold that he was a new person inspired by the original, not a copy, so he didn't have the existenial breakdown the copies have.They took a plot point from the pretty rubbish sequel to the film, Futureworld, and did something decent with it, which was nice.

I don't remember blackmail being a thing. After all, the point of the park is it's not real, and people have become numb to the ethical issues of it - I think they mentioned a few times people take their kids, or they have special areas for them, and the idea of taking your child to the robot murder park is pretty :stare:

It'll be interesting to see the larger social context this season, since the only times we've been off the island in flashbacks is in rich people's parties.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume that the parks have something like safety levels that go down the further out you go. So if you bring your family, you'll stay in the nice family areas. If you want to get real weird with it, you head out into the wilderness and get fuckin wrecked. But only if you choose that. I assume someone who doesn't want to get tied to a tree or whatever would only encounter the nicer native Americans and the scary ones would just tell you to go away or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Immortality was the long term, but being able to reliably predict people to a decent degree was intermediate. I'm guessing that they can use the park data within the Solomon system to manipulate both important individuals based on their specific visits, and to a less accurate extent all people based on their general modelling of humans, and thus predict and direct the world.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 24, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I assume that the parks have something like safety levels that go down the further out you go. So if you bring your family, you'll stay in the nice family areas. If you want to get real weird with it, you head out into the wilderness and get fuckin wrecked. But only if you choose that. I assume someone who doesn't want to get tied to a tree or whatever would only encounter the nicer native Americans and the scary ones would just tell you to go away or something.

Given the set pieces that happen on main street (and the general ambivalence of guests to host welfare) you'd have to imagine the kid's playpen zone is limited to the train station, and even then teens regularly break in to draw a bunch of dicks and grief the host AI.

Also, Westworld, why couldn't we have seen that happen? That'd have ruled.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a lot of whore-loving at that saloon everyone stops at first where everyone is propositioned by Clementine as they go through the front doors. I’d imagine teenagers would be really into that part.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

They state that onscreen. Although who can blame you for forgetting at this point. Sweetwater is your starting point in 1.0 space and then it fades out to nullsec the further out you go.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 24, 2020

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah and also to map people's brains to possibly advance the "upload our minds to a robot body" thing as well right?

via mind reading hats

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They have whatever weird technology that allows you to go from being in the dressing room banging the robot that helps you figure out what you want to look like, to stepping onto the train, to suddenly coming out of a tunnel and being in Westworld. So maybe the train can go to different starting locations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MikeJF posted:

They state that onscreen. Although who can blame you for forgetting at this point.

I know that Logan makes fun of William for falling for dumbass starter quests in Sweetwater, but even the stuff in sweetwater seems like it's rated R content. Unless they just tell people that the first building you see is a whore house but if you can steer your kids away from that, the cool farm with goats is just down the road or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Maybe the family of 5 on vacation wouldn't go straight to the Ole Tyme Saloon after departing the train?

That's probably more of a guided package where you're supposed to meet a coach-hand that takes the wagon out to Greengulch Farm where you can experience a rustic community and the kids can meet the cornfed neighbors for some good ol' Tom Sawyer fun.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t understand why the old-west setting was such a big deal to people, unless westerns got big again in the future. I’d imagine the one that’s just weird sex poo poo that William’s daughter mentions would be a much bigger draw.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cojawfee posted:

They all but spell that out in literally the first episode. There's that scene where Dolores is painting the horses and meets a little kid who says "you're one of them aren't you? You're not real?" , and one of the parents says something like "I don't think we're supposed to go past the river, it's too adult for him over there". And there's a bunch of lines from other guests that suggest there's a lot of "safe" quests you can do out of Sweetwater. There's a guy on the train when we see Teddy for the fist time who's saying something like "Yeah, first time I came with my family, did the gold rush plot-line..."

But I'm pretty sure the showrunners abandoned the idea of the park haveing any kind of Family-Friendly aspect after the first two episodes because they realized it was a dumb idea that wouldn't work at all in practice with how dark they wanted to go with the rest of it. I mean, if no one's going to die, then why do the hosts need to be robots? Just take your kids to a normal historical recreation park. I don't think we see any kids on screen past the pilot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The saloon brothel is basically there because a) it's an expected part of old west towns and b) most visitors wanna get their gently caress on right away and only actually get into Westworld after they've sated that.

I wonder if one of the parks is like Roman World or Spa World in the old movie where it was like 'yeah it's vaguely dressed up but we don't really bother LARPing here, it's just you and a bunch of slaves of any type you want to be waited on and respond to every command'. Or even just a resort with that. It didn't seem like they had that service in the exit resort we saw. I guess the Raj was a bit like that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 24, 2020

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t understand why the old-west setting was such a big deal to people, unless westerns got big again in the future. I’d imagine the one that’s just weird sex poo poo that William’s daughter mentions would be a much bigger draw.

She was in India right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

beanieson posted:

She was in India right?

Yeah it was like Raj-land or something.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Didn’t they say a lot of people just go to the brothel and not reallly venture into the park proper at all?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Samuraiworld and The Raj seemed to correlate to different levels of potential 'human' violence (more and less, respectively), so the historical setting is just a touchstone to provide context for how you interact with the content. The whole overpark is like an open-world videogame, the -Worlds are different content packages.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It also feels like westworld is kinda the main point of development and the big grand showcase with the widest lands whilst the other parks are smaller and inherit things after they've been rolled out into westworld and polished.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I would love to play a samurai version of red dead redemption

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MikeJF posted:

It also feels like westworld is kinda the main point of development and the big grand showcase with the widest lands whilst the other parks are smaller and inherit things after they've been rolled out into westworld and polished.
Hallo Partner, vant to join me und mein truppen in shooting some Red Russians?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

beanieson posted:

I would love to play a samurai version of red dead redemption

The whole delores in the city thing was deliberately organised as a viral marketing scheme for park 7, which is just straight up grand theft auto.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The whole delores in the city thing was deliberately organised as a viral marketing scheme for park 7, which is just straight up grand theft auto.

You know, that reminds me… Which character did we see go into the matrix style virtual reality world? Was that a host or a live human? Because if they have the capability to send a live human into rendering of a world that realistic why the hell would they bother creating a real life park? You could have essentially any one of these worlds exist online and let people just plug into them… Of course that would turn this into every other sci-fi movie from the early 90s to 2000

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

beanieson posted:

You know, that reminds me… Which character did we see go into the matrix style virtual reality world? Was that a host or a live human?

Nah, it was a host. Bernard. They had to rip his head open and plug his CPU straight into the server to get that.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Solaris 2.0 posted:

At least the show continues to look absolutely gorgeous. Those effects, especially for a tv series, can’t be cheap.

The music of course I love. Just give me more Ramin Djawadi.

As for the plot? :shrug:

Filming in at least Singapore, Spain, and Los Angeles. Now the last one is home base and probably relatively cheap but the other two really really can't be cheap.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hallo Partner, vant to join me und mein truppen in shooting some Red Russians?

Are you a bad enough dude to save il dulce?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

If there was a Vice City World I'd do anything to stay there, anything... handsome

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

OldMemes posted:

It's 7 grand a day, if I'm remembering the lore right.

I thought it was $40k

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I thought it was $40k

$40k during young William days, if anything it gets more expensive over time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Westworld is so obviously and transparently funded by wartime industrialists. I’d have to assume whatever PMC provides security.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bust Rodd posted:

Westworld is so obviously and transparently funded by wartime industrialists. I’d have to assume whatever PMC provides security.

Worth every penny then because those guys fuckin suck.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I can't remember, was there ever any indication as to around what year WW was supposed to take place?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I can't remember, was there ever any indication as to around what year WW was supposed to take place?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

IIRC, when young Ford is developing the first bots and looking for funding, it's around now. The Young William scenes are 5 Minutes Into The Future, in the 2020s or so.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The season 3 teaser had a timeline of world events

• 2019/06/12 Hong Kong political unrest, wide-scale protests
  • 2019/12/18 Impeachment of the 45th President of the US
  • 2020/05/20 Indonesia ecological collapse
  • 2024/12/09 Assassination of the President Elect of the US
  • 2025/10/09 Paris thermonuclear event
  • 2037/02/19 Start of the second Russian civil war
  • 2039/04/17 System initiated Solomon Build 0.06
  • 2058/02/27 Critical event (Delores starts poo poo)

So it's 2058 in the show right now, presumably. It's been about 30 years since William first visited, so his season one visit was around 2028ish. In theory they're starting to develop things around now.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 25, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alhazred posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to save il dulce?
I could 100% see this as a scenario. It does make me think the whole concept could be used as an insane propaganda tool, allowing people to experience Real HistoryTM in a way that actually made history something that happened to them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, reviews have hit.

They are not great.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Nowhere to go but up, baby!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Hyperbole?

On my Internet?