Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Ace of Aces posted:

I thought he was pretending all along. loving MGS4. :psyduck:

MGS4 had a lot of things it did wrong, but I don't think that Ocelot trying to get rid of Liquid's ghost was one of them.

Now, taking everything from MGS2 and saying it was "Nanomachines", that was stupid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

bman in 2288 posted:

MGS4 had a lot of things it did wrong, but I don't think that Ocelot trying to get rid of Liquid's ghost was one of them.

Now, taking everything from MGS2 and saying it was "Nanomachines", that was stupid as hell.

it didn't, though. Vamp? only nanomachines part of it was being able to keep resurrecting himself. Everything else, all him.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

DeathChicken posted:

I think the weirdest thing in the original game was those robot twins who were implied to be Snatchers

The robots in the first game were Terminators. It was Big Boss in MG2 who was part of the "Snatcher plan."

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

it didn't, though. Vamp? only nanomachines part of it was being able to keep resurrecting himself. Everything else, all him.

I liked him being able to run up walls because "gently caress you". I get the regenerative nanomachine powers, I'll accept it, but they kept taking away a lot of the fun, crazy things until it was all just boring explanations.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Saying it was all nanomachines is basically the same thing as saying it was magic anyways, just more boring, yeah. Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, etc.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vamp did everything through the power of dance.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kase moch posted:

Saying it was all nanomachines is basically the same thing as saying it was magic anyways, just more boring, yeah. Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, etc.

Magic doesn't harden in response to physical trauma.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Honestly, my hunch about those dolls is that they're remotely controlled by psychic power or Nanomachines.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Three: A Snake at the Gate

Now that the tutorial "mission" has ended, the game dumps us out here, on the intermission screen. This is where you do all the fun stuff, like mess with the settings or save your game. Later on, this will actually be a useful screen, but right now all it's really offering is map selection.

The map select screen is how you select, naturally, maps. Most of the time, a new mission means a new map, but that's not a perfect one-to-one relationship.

There's only one map to select at this point. The forest is visually on the map, but you can't actually go back there.

After choosing a map, there's a high-angle shot that shows off the basic lay of the land. This map is pretty simple - there's a road towards the gate, with three little buildings off to the side.

To indicate the goal, there's a tighter shot of the gate, with this guard standing in front of it.

Then it pans back across the map to show Snake entering the scene.

And immediately making a phone call.

Why just show or just tell when you could do both?

It's kind of a lovely fence. Nothing to write home about.

Snake: I see some soldiers standing guard in front of the gate.
Roger: That gate is your only ticket into the lab.

I'm including this shot because you can mostly see what the guard is doing, which is standing around holding a rifle. Essentially, an activity you could describe as "standing guard."

Snake: Doesn't look like he has any intention of moving.
Roger: You've got to get him to move out of the way somehow.

This mission is a bit of a tutorial on making people move when they're not inclined. If you know about Metal Gear, you know where this is going.

Roger: Snake, I hate to sound like a parrot, but this is a top secret mission. It's very important that you move forward without being detected by anyone.

No special penalty is levied for being detected in this mission.

Roger: I'm sure the soldiers inside are armed to the teeth and patrolling the area with a steady eye. If that guard catches sight of you and calls for backup, you'll be seriously outnumbered in a matter of seconds. Survival is very unlikely under such circumstances.
Snake: Right. I've gotta stay alert.
Roger: Yes. I'm repeating myself again, but I can't stress enough the importance of staying out of enemy sight.

If enemies see you, they call in more enemies, and then all the enemies shoot Snake many times with their rifles.

You can set up for combat later on, but this is good to keep in mind early in the game.

Snake: I get it. Enough with the lectures, already!
Roger: Fine. You have to get through the gate. Figure out some way to distract that guard.
Snake: Right. Time to get down to business.

This next exchange is added if you gently caress up the tutorial.

Snake: What is it?
Roger: You don't seem to be paying attention to my instructions. So I've been thinking...
Snake: Is this about our last conversation?
Roger: Yes. I lose my temper sometimes. ...So don't be surprised if your equipment starts acting up on you...

If Snake screws around during his jog, Roger threatens to have Alice psychically make Snake's pants fall down or something.

Like I said, this is an optional scene if you screw around during the tutorial, so it actually has no bearing on the story at all. :toot:

Now the mission starts. It's pretty simple, just gotta bomb up that road and past the gate.

Every mission begins with Snake's turn, and with a full hand. This is the first time in the game that the hand isn't pre-determined, and I'll tell you right now: the starting deck loving blows. It tries to showcase a little bit of everything, which is a no-no when you're building a deck for a card game like this and makes it harder to do any single thing.

Before I actually do anything, though, I want to show off this menu here, which has a few supplemental actions. The first is to end your turn, which is useful more often than you might expect. Punch makes Snake punch a guard that's directly in front of him, which is very useful and means the player always has a way to attack. Discard throws two cards away to grab two new ones out of the deck, which of course you have to do a lot when you have all the good cards in your hand but need some dumb bullshit to finish the mission.

There's also a very important feature that the game doesn't tell you about right here, but you can hit triangle to switch to this overhead view and scroll around the map.

Doing this is especially useful because it lets you see where the guards are and what they can see. Any tile with a square on it is in the guard's vision cone, so you shouldn't go there. These two guards, who are currently staring at fences, are generally irrelevant to this mission. If you don't get too close to them or make trouble, they won't hassle you.

Over here between these two buildings is a much more important guard, who is looking out at that main stretch of road by the truck. If you're the kind of player who just tries to make the sprint towards the gate, this is the first guy who'll see you.

And, finally, the man of the hour, this guy who just stands around looking down the road. This is the guard Snake needs to move to finish the mission. While he's highlighted, I want to point something out: when you highlight a guard, their HP is displayed in the upper-left. The other three guys have 40 HP each, but this guy has 25. At the same time, though, the guard's current equipment is shown in the two boxes right above the HP number. Every other guard has two rifles equipped, but this guy has a rifle and a vest. The vest is actually body armour, which absorbs 80 damage if you attack the guard, which makes his effective HP total 105. This is a trap for players who think they're going to just shoot the guy and run through.

There's one more mechanic to talk about here, which is Cost. If you look at the little data window next to Snake here, the number next to the stopwatch icon is his Cost. Every action has an associated Cost, which determines turn order: lowest Cost goes first, and then however much Cost that person's turn is deducted from everyone else's totals, and the next turn starts.

You can tell what the Cost of a card is by looking at that big number in the upper-right corner of the card. Something else to know about Cost is that, when you play a card, the next card's Cost is reduced by 1. You can see here that Spin Kick has a cost of 6, with that 1 down icon next to it. Spin Kick has a base cost of 7, but because I moved up the road, it's now at 6. This mainly serves as a complication of the system that has basically no actual effect on anything else.

The point of all this is that you need to watch what you do and try not to spend too much Cost if you want to take your next turn quickly. This is another reason why this starting deck sucks, but let's look at some pictures to break up this text.

Everything guards do also has a Cost associated with it, but I don't think they're limited by what's in their hands, they seem to just be able to do what they want on a turn.

Now, back to Snake and why this deck sucks: there's a lot of high-Cost, situational cards in here. The Spin Kick from earlier is one of them, but there's also a lot of stuff like Grenade in there. When you use Grenade, Snake throws it on the ground, and after 8 Cost "passes" the grenade blows up and does damage in a 3x3 square, but it also causes a loud explosion, and if any guards are alive, that triggers an instant alert. So, most of the time, you don't want to be chucking grenades around, but you don't even want to use it to move, since it's got a Cost of 7. Since Discard costs 6, it's actually cheaper to throw Grenade (and something else) away than it is to use it.

Mechanics aside, I'm gonna hang out over behind this building for a minute.

And Snake's gonna just hop on the radio real quick.

This call exists in case you forgot what you were doing.

Snake cannot see the guard or the gate from here.

By flattening against a wall, you can knock on it to make a noise and distract guards. This is the other purpose of the call, to introduce the knocking tutorial.

Roger: Think you can get through now? Basically...
Snake: ...Make a sound to lure the guard away from his post.
Roger: Just do it without getting caught.
Snake: Got it.

So, with that little hint out of the way, we can move on with the mission. This guard between the buildings just moves from one end of the alley to the other, pausing for a turn after each trip.

Since the guard at the gate is watching the road, the best way to reach the north end of the map is by sneaking back behind the buildings.

Flattening up against this back wall here is a great opportunity to shoot the alley guard, if you can draw a SOCOM. The SOCOM is silenced, so you don't alert the guards if you fire it, and killing this guard can speed up your run, especially if you want to visit the little buildings around the place. See, each building contains a booster pack of cards that you can use to customise your deck. The problem is, the cards you can get from this mission aren't very good and it's a hassle to open doors in this game. My decision, in the end, was to skip the cards and just finish the mission.

Instead of shooting that man or running around the map collecting trash, I ran over here and flattened up against the wall.

And promptly ended my turn. When you knock, if a guard hears it, they will immediately come to investigate. So, if you do it as the last action on your turn, Snake's stuck in the exact place the guard's going to go towards.

So I knocked on my next turn.

The green exclamation mark over the guard's head here indicates that he's alerted to something, but he doesn't know what it is, so he'll go investigate.

Before the guard can move, though, Snake's back up against this wall, safe and sound.

I also timed it out so that the alley guard would be facing away.

This time, I am going to shoot him.

I am, not, though, going for a kill. See, the SOCOM has a fun side-effect. When you hit an enemy with it, it causes them to fall down.

Falling down knocks a card out of a character's hand. Since this guard only had one card in his hand, the fall causes him to faint.

And that lets Snake zip right up the alley and stand on top of him. If I remember right, this actually stops the guard from ever waking up (because someone else is on his panel), but I'm not 100% sure, I just did it here because it let me do this on Snake's next turn:

And that''s that!

:toot:

The game even recognises my skills, and that's an S rank right there. The rank is based on how much Cost you spend on the mission, how many times you're found, how many people you kill, and how much damage you take. Lower numbers in each category means a higher total rank. You're also awarded points at the end of the mission - higher rank, more points. Later on, those points will be useful, but right now they're just there.

At the end of a mission, you can also see which cards you gathered. However, I skipped them in this mission, so it's just nothing here.

Additionally, there are also three bonus cards you can collect at the end of a mission. There are bonuses for completing the mission without being seen, without killing anyone, and for keeping your Cost under some threshold. I did all three this time, so it's three bonus cards.

Now that the mission is finished, Snake runs off to the next adventure!

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 27, 2017

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
drat, they make you collect booster packs? That's harsh. Imagine if they turned this into a mobile game.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
You can buy packs after the second mission, thankfully.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

drat, they make you collect booster packs? That's harsh. Imagine if they turned this into a mobile game.

Don't give Konami ideas, please.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

HitTheTargets posted:

Don't give Konami ideas.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HitTheTargets posted:

Given this is Konami we're talking about they'd turn it into a combination Carddass and Patchislot game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cool Ghost posted:

Why just show or just tell when you could do both?

It's kind of a lovely fence. Nothing to write home about.

Or when you can show twice :v: Did you mean to put that image twice?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I did not, and have now fixed it. Thanks.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm enjoying the snark levels in this LP :) MGS deserves it sometimes for just. Being. So. Obvious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

No, no, no. He actually was possessed by the ghost haunting his transplanted arm, which was mainly haunting him to gently caress with Snake, but then he cut off the transplant, replaced it with a cyber-limb, and used the self-hypnosis to replicate the effects of being possessed, to fool the AIs in space that control 21st century earth from behind the scenes (and also to gently caress with snake.) Easy mistake.

What the gently caress?

quote:

what the gently caress :stonk:

Metal Gear is weird.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What the gently caress?

what the gently caress :stonk:

Metal Gear is weird.

What's fun about Metal Gear is it looks like a fairly serious, realistic, military-based combat game, and then you play it and realize it's deep into absurdist fantasy soap opera territory.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kase moch posted:

What's fun about Metal Gear is it looks like a fairly serious, realistic, military-based combat game, and then you play it and realize it's deep into absurdist fantasy soap opera territory.
The bipedal nuclear-equipped walking tanks are really the least strange thing going on.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Kase moch posted:

Even the characters initially without any fancy bullshit powers have stupid fancy bullshit, like Ocelot. Before he has a ghost arm he can aim guns so the bullets ricochet off a wall into people he can't even see. He's also a double triple quadruple who the gently caress knows how many people he's currently backstabbing agent.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lynkericious posted:

Even the characters initially without any fancy bullshit powers have stupid fancy bullshit, like Ocelot. Before he has a ghost arm he can aim guns so the bullets ricochet off a wall into people he can't even see. He's also a double triple quadruple who the gently caress knows how many people he's currently backstabbing agent.

I'm pretty sure Ocelot backstabbed or rused everyone in the series except Big Boss at least once.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm pretty sure Ocelot backstabbed or rused everyone in the series except Big Boss at least once.

Not Sam.

Sam was just too smug to effectively ruse.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Everyone in MGR aside from Raiden were too small time for Ocelot to screw over.

I forget, what are the spoiler rules for the main games?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Only spoilers for the two Acid games are off-limits.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Then everyone who was in MGR aside from Raiden were such bit players, they didn't matter enough for Ocelot to gently caress with them.

The female lead looks weird.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Ocelot coming back from the dead just to gently caress with everyone's plans would have been an interesting third-act twist in MGR.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Cool Ghost posted:

Ocelot coming back from the dead just to gently caress with everyone's plans would have been an interesting third-act twist in MGR.

Ocelot reveals he's back from the dead because Senator Armstrongs nanomachines are powered by Ocelot's pacemaker and his ghost has possessed him now.

gently caress it, dumber things have happened in MGS.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm visualizing Armstrong doing the Ocelot Gun Salute and it is the best thing

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kase moch posted:

Its great because MGS actively bait-and-switches you by keeping the first hour or so low-key and having everything up to the Ocelot boss battle play out like a slightly more cyberpunk Tom Clancy technothriller, and then an invisible cyborg ninja literally comes out of loving nowhere to cut Ocelots arm off and everything goes off the god drat rails.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
The best thing about that is that since you then have to fight the Cyborg Ninja and a loving tank in the intervening period you're so densensitized that most players don't even loving blink at Psycho Mantis showing up.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Ace of Aces posted:

a loving tank

With nothing but Anti-Personnel grenades. Which, I should note, are horrifically ineffectual against that kind of tank.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Four: Cutscenes on a Plane

Since they figured out how to make them in 1989, Metal Gear has been a series that really embraced cutscenes. Some of the games in the series have cutscenes that are over an hour long, and it's common for there to be prompts for the player to save after scenes, sometimes between them. The gameplay:cutscene ratio in any given Metal Gear Solid game is probably close to 1:1, depending on how skilled the player is.

Anyway, after going through the gate, Snake takes two steps and immediately gets back on the horn with Roger.

I just want to reiterate that I hate the line breaks in this game. Not accommodating the change from fixed-width fonts to variable is amateur hour.

Snake: Not quite.

Cost is always set as COST in the game's text. It's not an acronym as far as I know, that's just style.

Roger: Don't worry. You'll be back in good form soon enough.

I honestly haven't seen anything so far to suggest that Snake's not in fighting shape, but that's good to hear.

Oh, hold on Roger, someone's gotten hold of Snake's number.

???: Any...out the...? Please... Someone ans...

You have to actually speak into the microphone, chief.

The rules of radios in Metal Gear are never established. Sometimes the command staff can hear what's on other lines, sometimes they can't.

Roger: I'm not sure, but he's using the van unit's emergency frequency.

Well how did he get that?

:eng101: As near as I can tell, "van unit" here refers to the command unit's surveillance van (or equivalent), where I suppose Roger and Alice are. I've not really seen the phrase used outside of this context.

Snake: Could be an enemy.
Roger: Talk to him, and try to find out what his situation is. I'll run a background check on the name "Gary Murray".
Snake: Right.

So let's talk to Gary.

The connection seems to be much clearer this time, as we even get Gary's codec portrait showing up.

Snake: Something like that. What about you?
Gary: I'm an engineer at this lab. Name's Gary Murray.

Is a fedora and trenchcoat the regular uniform for an engineer to wear at the lab?

Dude, we are nowhere near answering that one right now.

Gary: These soldiers just swarmed us all of a sudden, and the next thing I knew, we were thrown into the residential quarters and treated like dirt. I was in charge of quarantine and disease prevention for test animals here. And that's all. They interrogated me about the actual research. I don't even know anything. Hurry, you've got...hel...me... Enemy soldiers are patrolling as we spea...

Snake: I hear you, Gary. Just calm down. Where are you?
Gary: ...control room...the north gate. But enemy soldie... Dr. Flemming is...the east...

Well, at least we know what's next on the agenda.

Roger: It could very well be a trap. But if he claims to know where Flemming is located, he could really help us out.
Snake: He said he's in the control room--to the north.

Uh, no, he said "control room...the north gate."

Oh no poo poo? I thought the gate outside was preventing access to a loving empty field. Thanks, Roger.

Roger: Snake, get to that control room and find Gary. Then ask him about Flemming's whereabouts. I'll try to reestablish radio contact with him. Head for the north gate.

And with that, the scene past the front gate is over at last.

Now, back to the plane. This is a different angle from before, featuring some brand new characters, but it's still the Flight 326 we all know and love.

And hey, would you look at that, it's Senator Viggo Hach, the main hostage himself.

Next to the Senator is his assistant, Lena.

:eng101: Lena's full name is listed on the Wikipedia and the Metal Gear wiki (the most reliable sources online) as Lena Arrow, even though I can't actually find a source for this.

Lena: But, Senator Hach, please speak with caution.

Lena's line there kind of just dead-ends. Oops.

Lena: Just stay put. I'll go see what's happening here.
Viggo: Wait. It's too dangerous.
Lena: You could be in much more danger than I am, Senator. I have to find out what's going on. There's really no point in us both going.
Viggo: ...OK. Just be careful!

Given the anaesthetic gas in the air, you'd think that Lena would be less disposed to walking around than Hach is.

Oh hey, it's these two.

Viggo making a very good point here.

Frances: We want Pythagoras.
Elsie: Do you have Pythagoras, Mister?
Viggo: It must be...that drat kid. No doubt about it.

We're not gonna talk about what Viggo's last line there means right now.

Frances: I was working.

Frances is the stewardess on this flight, actually. Gotta run those drink carts even in a hostage situation, you know?

Elsie: Liar, liar, pants on fire! You just left me alone and went off somewhere to play.
Frances: No, I didn't. I'm a busy girl, unlike you!

Shocker.

Elsie: Killing? Killing what?
Frances: I murdered the pilot, and the copilot, too. Made their hearts stop...

How polite of Viggo to not interrupt their conversation.

Viggo: So they're...dead?!

And, as if to answer Viggo's question, the scene cuts to the cockpit.

Next time, on Metal Gear Acid: Snake reads the phone book!

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 5, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
So they called this game Metal Gear Acid in honour of the substance that carried them through development, right?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Mikl posted:

So they called this game Metal Gear Acid in honour of the substance that carried them through development, right?

Eh, by MGS standards, we're currently at about a 3/10 on the weird-o-meter. Not acid trip territory yet!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

vdate posted:

Eh, by MGS standards, we're currently at about a 3/10 on the weird-o-meter. Not acid trip territory yet!

It's not that weird by Metal Gear standards, but the weird is too early.

Normally, Metal Gear starts out looking like a serious military drama, adds some weirdos, and then gets legit batshit. It's the floor dropping out from under you as you start to rely on it. Here, there isn't the ground state to really let you appreciate the crazy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm curious to see how this game compares on the weirdometer to late-game MGS2.

I still don't understand half of that nonsense. :shepicide:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm curious to see how this game compares on the weirdometer to late-game MGS2.

I still don't understand half of that nonsense. :shepicide:

It makes sense if you think about it.

For several years.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Cool Ghost posted:

:eng101: As near as I can tell, "van unit" here refers to the command unit's surveillance van (or equivalent), where I suppose Roger and Alice are. I've not really seen the phrase used outside of this context.

Potentially it could also be a shortening of vanguard, i.e. the team sent in first.

Also can you even fit that many people on a plane? That seems like even a really big plane might be a bit tricky to fit 500+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
"Van unit" could mean vanguard, I suppose. I guess Gary would have one of the dead HRT guys' radios, and they might have been on the emergency band.

Also, I looked it up, and Japan Airlines used to fly Boeings with a passenger capacity of up to 563; according to Wikipedia, these particular models were built specifically because of Japanese requests. To my mind, though, it's weirder for a presidential candidate to be flying commercial with his assistant as his only (apparent) escort.