Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cool Ghost posted:

The first two Metal Gear games have no supernatural elements to speak of, so it makes some sense for Snake to be wary. I guess they're pretty run-of-the-mill in MGS, though, since Snake doesn't really react when anyone tells him Psycho Mantis can read minds.

Edit: he's also surprisingly amenable to the Liquid situation in MGS2.

I still love that NASA had a secret Ninja spec-ops team in Metal Gear 2.

Even when it's not crazy bullshit, Metal Gear is crazy bullshit. Delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kase moch posted:

Saying it was all nanomachines is basically the same thing as saying it was magic anyways, just more boring, yeah. Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, etc.

Magic doesn't harden in response to physical trauma.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm pretty sure Ocelot backstabbed or rused everyone in the series except Big Boss at least once.

Not Sam.

Sam was just too smug to effectively ruse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

vdate posted:

Eh, by MGS standards, we're currently at about a 3/10 on the weird-o-meter. Not acid trip territory yet!

It's not that weird by Metal Gear standards, but the weird is too early.

Normally, Metal Gear starts out looking like a serious military drama, adds some weirdos, and then gets legit batshit. It's the floor dropping out from under you as you start to rely on it. Here, there isn't the ground state to really let you appreciate the crazy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ace of Aces posted:

This was my understanding as well. There are other reasons for this interpretation but they're spoileriffic.

Let me guess.

The van team was known for teleporting using their psychic powers?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deathwind posted:

Meryl is the Schrödinger's npc of the franchise, I'm not quite sure if she cannonically lived or died...

Marrying Johnny is a kind of painful death, I suppose.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I learned young that killing your enemies felt good. Really good. In America, my friends, my family...they helped me forget the devil inside...but who am I kidding? I was born to kill!

I'm saying Jack is back!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just a guess, but "OK, time to put the clock back!" sounds like a mistranslation meaning to say "Now you're back on the clock." or similar.

This is near the era of "Whose secondhand?" after all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kase moch posted:

I enjoy lovely grumpy Snake. Looks like he's become waaay more jaded since being hosed over and lied to in Shadow Moses. Good for him.

This Snake never went to Shadow Moses.

It would be rather odd if he had, considering his opinion on psychics.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Teliko says Snake was her hero. Hans Davis used the Snake persona to be a hero to the children they were experimenting on. I've seen enough Metal Gear games to know where this one is going.

Extended monologues about meme theory?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

And the military industrial complex and how it relates to some rare species of frog.

Some kind of frog, huh?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alex0080 posted:

How would shooting Leone in the head create two Vamps? :thunk:

Nanomachines, son.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

This reminded me of MegaMan Battle Network's GameCube game, where this situation was distressingly common. Your important movement options (Dash, Double Jump) were all Battle Chips so you had to draw them to use them. It's really bad design. IIRC the Wonder Swan game (which also wanted to turn BN into a classic Mega Man) just let you equip Chips instead.

At least here it's just for this mission, right? I can't imagine this is a normal game mechanic.

At least Network Transmission let you lock chips as your default draw, guaranteeing them every pull.

Meant a lot of sitting around sometimes, though, giving you that for free.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

I hope none of these people turn out to exist. Imaginations imagining imaginations.

The only real person turns out to be Jetstream Sam, who smirks at the camera after the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deathwind posted:

Not possible, much of what she claims happens out of camera view.

Nano-machine cameras.