Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
This game is definitely a thing. I really like it, but I find it can get kind of grindy and you can end up skipping turns when you need THAT ONE CARD to get through a door or something. Looking forward to more of this.

By the way, is Ac!d 2 any better in that regard? I've not actually played it since I've been trying to finish 1.

Speaking of 1, I assume you're playing the NTSC version - does it list the wrong ammo type on the XM8 like the PAL version does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Crane Fist posted:

Those scoundrels

This is more of a problem than it sounds like because of the way the game does 'equippable' weapons versus 'usable' weapons. Basically, you equip an 'equippable' weapon by using the card and placing it into one of your slots on the "equipment matrix", and then to actually use the weapon you have to use another weapon card that uses the same ammo, so if you get faked out by the card text you're going to have a bad time. I'll save going into serious detail about it for Cool Ghost/later in the thread when you actually get to see some of those cards.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

MachuPikacchu posted:

Didn't this game come with a special 3D visor of some sort? Or was that Ac!d 2?

Not related to the thread but I just want to say that your username is amazing

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Dr. Snark posted:

Ghost possession was a thing in MGS2

MGS4 heavily implies that Ocelot was bullshitting this as a psychological tactic/used self-hypnosis to convince himself that was the case, which arguably makes less sense than straight up ghost posession given everything about The Sorrow.

Remember that the divergence here is after MG2 though - none of the supernatural elements had crept into anything Snake is familiar with yet (even assuming the Virtuous Mission/Operation Snake Eater went off like in the main franchise, the reports wouldn't be declassified until into the 2000s), so his skepticism is pretty fair.

On the other hand, this is a game with a pair of murderdolls on a plane and... other stuff that constitutes spoilers.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I thought he was pretending all along. loving MGS4. :psyduck:

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
The best thing about that is that since you then have to fight the Cyborg Ninja and a loving tank in the intervening period you're so densensitized that most players don't even loving blink at Psycho Mantis showing up.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Grizzwold posted:

Potentially it could also be a shortening of vanguard, i.e. the team sent in first.

This was my understanding as well. There are other reasons for this interpretation but they're spoileriffic.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Psychic powers in general seem to be a less-known quantity in Ac!d, possibly because Psycho Mantis doesn't seem to exist, so there isn't a "famous psychic" that is talked about.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I was going to post something as a correction but I'm suspicious it's actually version differences, since I play the yurop version of the game. One of the booster packs in the "outside the gate" mission is a MGS2 booster, as is the one through the office door in the "office block" mission. Also, Snake doesn't have the HF Blade card in the deck, but has the Cyborg Ninja card instead (which deals five 10-damage hits to a single target, ignoring damage resistance; this is silent and cannot miss, and doesn't require Snake to have a line of effect to the target).

I'm kind of surprised this game has version differences like that beyond passwords. Also: they changed all that but still screwed up the ammo on the XM8? Come on guys.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I don't think that's the case since I've had the same starting deck every time. It could be a different pressing, or it had a patch released?

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Hmm. It's possible the US version has some randomization in your starter deck and the European version doesn't, or that I've simply had some weird luck and had the same deck every time, since that's not out of the question with my luck...

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Well, we can blame the Cyborg Ninja thing on my weird luck (since you get Spin Kick in the deck every time, as near as I know, the Ninja is more useful anyway), but I'm pretty sure the packs being different can be blamed on region differences.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I've not actually finished this but I've played through the first... two, I guess, major plot twists? And the plane doesn't make any more sense to me by that point. I'm assuming it will either build up to something utterly amazing or peter out into nothingness, since this is a Metal Gear game.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
To be fair that whole scene of them wrecking face on Arsenal Gear was kind of awesome, in an 80s movie kind of way.

Which pretty much describes MGS, really.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I think the idea of Snake simply fading away works better with the themes anyway, so it's probably a good thing they vetoed him.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
It's probably a testament to Kojima's skill as a creator, rather than talent, that he allowed himself to be talked into something better by the rest of the team, rather than insisting on His Vision. Although that happened like once per MGS anyway... (he wanted MGS3 to be done entirely in Russian and Snake's VA even took Russian lessons but pretty much all the other VAs threatened to quit if that happened, apparently.)

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Considering how Japanese VAs sound when they try for another common, easier language like English I can only imagine how that might have ended.

A bit like Asuka trying to speak German in NGE, hah

I've heard some decent German in a few anime, which I have a few theories about, but yeeeah...

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Blaze Dragon posted:

Was the VA Tetsuya Kakihara? Because he was born and raised in Germany, thus is perfectly fluent in its language.

He also knows English, Spanish and Latin, because the guy who voices Simon needs to be a badass who kicks reason to the curb.

No, various actors in various roles in various anime. I think it may have something to do with the fact that you can speak German at a Japanese pace and it sounds reasonable to an untrained ear.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Just wanted to follow up on the starter deck post: the SOCOM and FAMAS actually have a couple of additional features that you skipped over, and in both cases they're pretty useful. When the SOCOM hits a target that is vulnerable to it, it inflicts Fall (same as Spin Kick or the no-card melee attack). A target subjected to Fall has a card discarded from their hand; if a target is reduced to 0 cards in hand, they Faint, which is identical to being knocked out in a regular Metal Gear Solid title. It lasts for... I want to say 3 cost, so if you're going to use it you need to make really good on it, and if an enemy comes across a Fainted unit they'll be like "wat" and investigate. The early access to the SOCOM is probably the best reason to include Action+ cards early, since if you can faint a target with the SOCOM you then get 2 actions to move past them and into a spot that will let you rest off your Cost debt while they wake up and are like "aaa".

The FAMAS adds 1 cost per hit on the target, which can potentially stop a fat target from actually getting a turn on you (and potentially stop an alert depending on how near/far enemies are). It's actually very useful against the game's few bosses for this reason.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I think the reason the game reminds you what you're doing after each mission is in case you've been grinding out side missions - I know I appreciated it a lot when I was playing through.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
We're not quite there but this is about the point the game's plot starts to kick into "holy poo poo what is happening" territory.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I just want to mention how insanely long that cutscene actually is - I was playing it in class last week and skipping the text (because I died in the warehouse) and even then it took about five minutes to get through the cutscene. It's ridiculous.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Cool Ghost posted:

I had to decide if I wanted to do Ebro Tower "properly" and engage with the mechanics, or if I just wanted to use Stealth. I never really used it in Acid 2 back in the day, though.

Please do it properly, the tower's mechanics are absolutely hilarious and they deserve to be shown in their full atrocity.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
In hindsight, Alice's tip is actually pretty solid, but given how much of a pain Ebro Tower is you'll probably forget it before it becomes relevant.

By the way, what does Meiling's card actually do? The tooltip is very... not useful.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Ouch. I figured it would be something like increasing the timer on chaff or whatever... jeez.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

HitTheTargets posted:

I might be jumping the gun, but I think the card game aspect of gameplay is something of a hindrance to the usual MGS formula.

I think it's more the execution than an inherent problem. Ac!d 2 tends to be a lot better about it.

The biggest problem with this one is definitely on this stage, in my opinion, since it's such a drat slog, and for really no other reason than because other Metal Gear games did it.
Speaking of which, I think generally the biggest problem this game has is absolutely its habit of interrupting your turn for codec calls - in regular MGS games when that happens you're safe during it (codec is totally secure, after all); in Ac!d it may leave you hanging around in the open because you didn't get to complete your move.

Ace of Aces fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Cool Ghost posted:

Please don't spoil things from either this game or Acid 2.

Sorry, fixed.