Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Honestly, my hunch about those dolls is that they're remotely controlled by psychic power or Nanomachines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

drat, they make you collect booster packs? That's harsh. Imagine if they turned this into a mobile game.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Can you wind up skipping past a door because your movement cards have too many squares to stop right in front?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Ace of Aces posted:

I've not actually finished this but I've played through the first... two, I guess, major plot twists? And the plane doesn't make any more sense to me by that point. I'm assuming it will either build up to something utterly amazing or peter out into nothingness, since this is a Metal Gear game.

So either the plane is Metal Gear or the hostages are rescued with no complications despite taking up a lot of screen time. You're right, those do sound like things a Metal Gear game would do.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Technically, he saved the Armstech president from the terrorists. He had no way of knowing he was carrying FOXDIE at the time. Solid Snake did nothing wrong.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm a little surprised the plane sideplot is already connecting to Snake's team. Given how much screen time they got though, it's probably a good thing.

Also, there's no way Minette is a random kid. She's probably Flemming's kid, right? I wanna look up spoilers to see if I'm right, but if I'm wrong I don't wanna ruin the surprise.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

Don’t forget the magic owls that make guards believe it’s time for a shift change. And don’t tell me it was nanomachines, those didn’t exist in 1998 even in Metal Gear land.

Parasites, maybe.

I love how blatantly the parasites in TPP are just a stand-in for Nanomachines because they don't exist yet. Meanwhile, Snake is using his iPhone to get his D-Walker delivered & wondering who he should steal with wormholes.

Psychics though, like I'm gonna buy into that scam.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

You know it's a Metal Gear LP when the update starts with "alright, the cutscene is over" and it's still half-cutscene. :v:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

His skin has a grayish hue that really sells the "alcoholic living alone in Alaska for a decade" aesthetic Snake is going for.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

That seems like an odd effect for the Otacon card. I think the closest he came to a gun was having a crush on Sniper Wolf.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

And it has a sequel!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

So, I'm assuming Gary is Hans. But a Snake is Hans too. So... TWIN BROTHERS!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I love how the memory is specifically of someone saying "Hey, Hans Davis. I'm talking to you, the guy who is Hans Davis for sure!" That's how you economy of storytelling.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

oh my god is snake actually this hans dude hopped up on some crazy combat drugs that make you into solid snakes, like an actually successful genome soldier

Spoilers, but there's actually something like this in Phantom Pain.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I thought the term The Neoteny had come up before, but it was just this dog at Alice.

quote:

Tired of Snake's repeated insults, Alice leaves in a strop. For the record, I don't know exactly how old Alice is supposed to be, but I would say early teens or so. She's carrying a doll in her radio portrait, but I think that's more neotenous than showing her being 5 years old.

Who knew Cool Ghost was good at adopting new vocabulary words?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I've never looked this closely at Teliko's 3D model before. It does not compare well to her portrait, but I guess they were trying.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

If it weren't cards you have to draw from your deck to equip and instead, you know, actually just equipment, I could see this being a vaguely interesting system. More worth fiddling around with than the stats on the different colored uniforms, at least.

Cool Ghost posted:

Anyway, to answer your question, what Mei Ling's card does is it doubles those Interference effects. This makes her at least the third card in a three-card combo, so niche at best.

Does she double the negative effects as well? Because that's hella not worth a card.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I might be jumping the gun, but I think the card game aspect of gameplay is something of a hindrance to the usual MGS formula.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

At this point I'm hoping that roger reveals he's also hans, leading to a cascade of revelations resulting in every character discovering that there has only been one character in this game all along and that hans just has split personality disorder something awful.

Make it like Killer 7 where's there's not really a difference between reality and Harman's brain.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Maybe this isn't the real Snake. He was smart enough to figure out this was the real Teliko and not Clown from context clues all on his own. He didn't need help from Roger or Alice.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

These things come in threes, right? Will the next room have portions of total darkness or something?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Maybe I shouldn't question the specifics of Alice's powers but "tell me something and I'll know it's true because it's in your brain" seems kinda flimsy. Like, Alice is exactly good enough at this to not get fooled by a short-term memory Teliko's just made up, but not better than that so that she could just scan her brain and go "No, that's not Clown. Problem solved; no exposition needed."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Well, we know he won't die. It's not like Acid 2 stars a different Solid Snake.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Well that’s ominous news about an evil psychic child. Good thing they immediately show us Alice being a good psychic child. Wouldn’t want a sense of tension to build up.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

That’s a lot of Metal Gear for one mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

One way to get around that is to staple some bonus effect to the healing. Even just “draw a card” is usable, but combining with movement or cost reduction would easily make healing worth a slot.