Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So what are the signs of a dying mall? Strangely in Canada a bad sign is government offices moving in.

My experience is kinda limited, but another thing that (used) to mean a dying mall was a call center moving in, - usually with hefty government subsidies. This was in a particular province in the early 2000s tho

Though in Brampton, a large mall is also the 'city center' - directly off it are government buildings like offices, the Library, as well as city hall and the main police station. I'd imagine that'd make the mall a smidge more resilient

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This dead mall opens with a convincing demo of hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOlffr73fuM

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

buy an empty mall and turn it into a huge laser tag arena

Or paintball gun??

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Calibanibal posted:

buy an empty mall and turn it into a huge laser tag arena

Or paintball gun??

Thanks for the idea 14 year old me

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Thanks for the idea 14 year old me

it's pretty much the only thing you can do with those facilities once all the stores are gone. although I've been to indoor paintball arenas, and they're loving disgusting.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's pretty much the only thing you can do with those facilities once all the stores are gone. although I've been to indoor paintball arenas, and they're loving disgusting.

I'm picturing hydroponic farms

Or maybe drone racing tracks (I've been playing Mario Kart lately)

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

jesus loving christ

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Duscat posted:

amazon actually makes a clear distinction between these, and i always order from merchants that are "fulfilled by amazon" if at all possible, because then i get free prime shipping AND amazon's amazing return policy, so i don't have to exchange 20 emails with some rear end in a top hat in murfreesboro if they send me garbage, just go to the return form, enter the reason, and a ups guy shows up the next day to pick up your thing, and if it's amazon's fault or the seller's, return shipping is also free

for everything you buy on amazon, there's probably someone out there undercutting amazon's prices, but it's not worth the risk to me

Look at this dipshit thinking people undercut Amazon instead of the other way around

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm picturing hydroponic farms

Or maybe drone racing tracks (I've been playing Mario Kart lately)

if you want to repurpose them for indoor agriculture, it'd be more efficient to just demolish the mall and construct facilities that are purpose-made for maximizing production. The main reason to keep the mall around for any business is to exploit its novelty value.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Actually, malls have such a massive amount of space and decent enough lighting, you could repurpose them for museums.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The dead-ish mall near me rents one of it's anchors out to the local library

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

turn them into labor camps for the poor

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

but thats what they already were :confused:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

if you want to repurpose them for indoor agriculture, it'd be more efficient to just demolish the mall and construct facilities that are purpose-made for maximizing production. The main reason to keep the mall around for any business is to exploit its novelty value.

Good to know. I figured they were kinda like that Flak tower in Berlin, y'know, too expensive to tear down?

Now that I've said it out loud I see the flaw in that thinking

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Sanctuary District at the Galleria

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

alternative idea: excellent Battle Royale stadiums

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

directly profit off welfare funds to buy state legislature to enact policy which furthers the underclasses' immiseration

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/10/10/state-for-sale

quote:

Because Variety Wholesalers is privately owned, its operations are less transparent than those of a publicly traded company. Ray Gaul, the director of global research at Kantar Retail, a consultant to suppliers such as Procter & Gamble, says of Variety, “We tried to understand what they do, but they’re fairly black-hole-ish.” Gaul says that his research department followed Variety for ten years, before dropping its coverage in 2007. “They were struggling to open new stores,” he says. “A lot of these stores would be considered underperforming compared to Walmart or Dollar General.” (In an e-mail, Pope said, “I readily acknowledge that Variety ‘underperforms’ by some, but not all, measures, compared to Walmart,” but he stressed that his stores are among the few regional merchandisers that, in recent years, have not just survived but grown.)

Many of the goods sold at Variety’s stores are inexpensive items made in Asian countries with low manufacturing costs; the profit margins on such items are exceedingly small, requiring the company to maintain a tight operating budget. According to Gaul, employee wages represent a major cost for a discount-store company like Variety. Variety employs some seven thousand people, and the bottom rung earns the minimum wage. Pope insisted that his political activism “has not been motivated by narrow corporate interest,” but fellows at Pope-funded think tanks have repeatedly assailed minimum-wage laws. Roy Cordato, a vice-president at the John Locke Foundation, told me that “the minimum wage hurts low-skilled workers, by pricing them out of the market,” and that concern about worker exploitation was “the kind of thinking that comes from Karl Marx.” In Cordato’s view, “any freely made contracts among consenting adults should be legal,” including those involving prostitution and the sale of dangerous drugs. He supports child-labor laws, but opposes what he calls “compulsory education” for minors.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

directly profit off welfare funds to buy state legislature to enact policy which furthers the underclasses' immiseration

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/10/10/state-for-sale

All capitalism is terrible, you say?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
this is the take of some guy who isn't involved in the dollar stores' decisions and tbh i don't see anything wrong with their expansion

nor do i see any reason to doubt the "concept", unless you can think of some way to restore the situation of 1945 where europe had smashed itself to bits after subordinating other countries around the world, leaving the US and USSR to grab what they could

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Gazpacho posted:

nor do i see any reason to doubt the "concept", unless you can think of some way to restore the situation of 1945 where europe had smashed itself to bits after subordinating other countries around the world, leaving the US and USSR to grab what they could

Well, Poland seems to be going full Nazi so the table's being set for that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BRB, going to write a op ed under David Brooks' biline how society will fall apart now that women do not have oppressively thin mannequins to aspire to

Possibly I'll support this by saying the Ancient Greeks and Romans built statues

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gazpacho posted:

this is the take of some guy who isn't involved in the dollar stores' decisions and tbh i don't see anything wrong with their expansion

They're garbage stores selling garbage that only exist because we have created a gigantic underclass by not paying a living wage

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)

Century III Mall in pittsburgh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The most obvious use for dead malls is as makeshift shelters for climate refugees. Gonna need a lot of space when sea levels off the east coast rise like 20 feet between 2040 and 2050.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This fits into this thread. a wonderfully erudite woman mocking the poo poo out of McMansions:

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/161329177461/50-states-of-mcmansion-hell-harford-county

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

god i hate mcmansions. i used to live in one, and the town was filled with them because it was new growth hell. it didn't even have sidewalks

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Somehow there is a Wikipedia article on dead malls, and it actually cites Newsweek "declaring the indoor mall obsolete in 2008."

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

McMansion hell owns. the author is cspam as hell and does communications for Baltimore DSA iirc

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The most obvious use for dead malls is as makeshift shelters for climate refugees. Gonna need a lot of space when sea levels off the east coast rise like 20 feet between 2040 and 2050.

Large parking decks can also be retrofitted into shelters.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hey man, the future sucks

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I live in an exurb with an outlet mall. The outlets seem to be doing pretty well, but since sales tax makes up something like 2/3 of the city budget, everyone's worried that we'll have to close schools once amazon closes the outlets.

Ok, not everyone's worried, they did just choose to build a giant new fortress of a police station.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i got banned from the mall for flippin off a county police lol

I got yelled at for skateboarding in the mall.

Like that's all that happened. I got yelled at.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I got yelled at for skateboarding in the mall.

Like that's all that happened. I got yelled at.

how old are you

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

how old are you

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

This fits into this thread. a wonderfully erudite woman mocking the poo poo out of McMansions:

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/161329177461/50-states-of-mcmansion-hell-harford-county

lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Jeremy posted:

I live in an exurb with an outlet mall. The outlets seem to be doing pretty well, but since sales tax makes up something like 2/3 of the city budget, everyone's worried that we'll have to close schools once amazon closes the outlets.

Ok, not everyone's worried, they did just choose to build a giant new fortress of a police station.

outdoor shopping centers, especially destination ones like outlet malls tend to do okay in part because their profit per square foot is something like 4-5x that of indoor malls

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Muppets On PCP posted:

outdoor shopping centers, especially destination ones like outlet malls tend to do okay in part because their profit per square foot is something like 4-5x that of indoor malls

How is this possible? It's the same goddamn stores, embedded in a vast parking lot

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Nebakenezzer posted:

How is this possible? It's the same goddamn stores, embedded in a vast parking lot

outlet malls are permanent sales so people think they're gettin big a good deal

most of the time they aren't since like 90% of the items they have there are outlet store only or stuff that never sold for other reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty hilarious how the US mall concept was created by a immigrant who wanted to create the natural organic feel of European cities like Vienna and Paris.

• Locked thread