Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

denton, dallas and ft worth form the "golden triangle," clearly an incredibly bad marketing attempt by like dallas chamber of commerce in 1954 or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Calibanibal posted:

buy an empty mall and turn it into a huge laser tag arena

Or paintball gun??

massive VR arcade

also gently caress malls they are gigantic waste of energy resources to heat/cool and back in the 80s-90s everyone hated them because they destroyed mom n pop businesses all around the country

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
SCENE: CORPORATE BOARDROOM, DOWNTOWN DALLAS, 1972

A GROUP OF EXECUTIVES IN SUITS ARE SITTING AROUND A TABLE, SMOKING CIGARETTES AND LOOKING GLUM

"so the whole country hates us and still thinks we murdered kennedy. it's been 10 years and we've tried everything. the dallas brand is poison."

one executive who goes on regular "vacations" to southeast asia perks up like a lightbulb just went off.

"i've got an idea... let's rebrand the dallas-fort worth-denton metropolitan area to ... the golden triangle."

"by god that's brilliant!"

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Dec 15, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

going to asia is weird because they have malls that make ours look like tiny little jokes and people still go to them. got lost in an underground mall in an hong kong for like 2 hours, couldnt find my way to the surface

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

SCENE: CORPORATE BOARDROOM, DOWNTOWN DALLAS, 1972

A GROUP OF EXECUTIVES IN SUITS ARE SITTING, SMOKING CIGARETTES AND LOOKING GLUM

"so the whole country hates us and still thinks we murdered kennedy. it's been 10 years and we've tried everything. the dallas brand is poison."

one executive who goes on regular "vacations" to southeast asia perks up like a lightbulb just went off.

"i've got an idea... let's rebrand the dallas-fort worth-denton metropolitan area to ... the golden triangle."

"by god that's brilliant!"

lol

if he was going to se asia in 1972 he was probably also the guy on the grassy knoll

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

going to asia is weird because they have malls that make ours look like tiny little jokes and people still go to them. got lost in an underground mall in an hong kong for like 2 hours, couldnt find my way to the surface

that has a lot to do with population density

most of the places malls thrive in america are the ones right out of cities where there's huge suburban population centers that are incredibly dense and city people take a trip out for fun every once in a while

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Volcott posted:

Why would you name a mall after the place that grows half of Asia's opium.

A nickname for southern Ontario around Lake Ontario is "the golden horseshoe"

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

denton, dallas and ft worth form the "golden triangle," clearly an incredibly bad marketing attempt by like dallas chamber of commerce in 1954 or something

tbf if i lived in texas i'd want to be constantly high on opium too

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I too, have played Shin Megami Tensei

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I too, have played Deus Ex

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ive never actually played deus ex or any anime game except pokemon

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
my posting is augmented

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

day 6 of weekend shopping: the food court supplies are running low, had to sacrifice one of the sled dogs to feed the others. later tried unsuccessfully to bribe the mall cops with uneaten soggy chips, but they were on a paleo diet

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The fuckhuge Asian malls are the most galling in countries like the Philippines where the area around the mall is essentially Upper Middle to Upper Class targeted amenities and only a mile or two away is Lower middle class neighborhoods who consider going to the mall a special trip.

This is mostly based on my experience with the Mall of Asia in the Philippines.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Prav posted:

if mom and pop haven't bought some cheap off-the-shelf web store by 2017 they should probably get on that

But that’s the real beauty of amazon - mom and pop don’t have to. Amazon gives equal “shelf space” to all sellers. Mom and pop can just sign us to amazon’s merchants program. They won’t need their own site, and they get access to literal billions of customers. And there is no preferential treatment; you can’t buy a better shelf position.

Interestingly, that fact is something that caused some mid- to large-range businesses to pack up their toys and go home crying. Lush Cosmetics was very angry that amazon wouldn’t sell them better search rankings - shelf space - and let them cheat. If a different wholesaler retailer sold Lush soaps for less than the brand wanted to charge, that retailer got the first spot on sorted-by-price list. Lush threw a tantrum that they weren’t allowed to buy better rankings, and stopped selling on amazon. Only third parties sell it now. Bad call.

I really like lush soaps and loled pretty hard when I read the reason I couldn’t buy them on amazon. I don’t really feel like entering my credit card details on a thousand different sites, so...

Thursday Next has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Dec 16, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baloogan posted:

my posting is augmented

The malls are doing fine, one of the triads has their night club there

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Baloogan posted:

my posting is augmented

That's Terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arise, thread!

Malls are changing their names due to the association with 'doomed' and 'failure'

• Locked thread