Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i do understand how basic math works, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Akshan has that weird two shot mechanic, so his passive being three hits does interact with his kit a bit more.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Those checks and balances make the game more fun I think.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Verviticus posted:

i do understand how basic math works, yes.

Sorry, that came across more condescending than intended.

My basic point was more that the three hit passive makes it feel like the trade was worse than it realistically was. It does have an unfortunate ripple effect in solo lanes. But generally if a champ isn't meant to be in a solo lane they'll get nerfed out of it.

Akshan is basically the same experience as Zed or any other mid lane roaming assassin hitting you with a combo. Notably his only lane damage for 5 levels is his three hit passive. His autos won't do much on their own and his basic abilities are not going to chunk you much at all. Only the boomerang realistically works as a harass tool.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsHcBHgbjXk

league is good again

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would die for Durian Rammus.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The riot mmo's "direction has been reset", and has been punted far into the future. They're going dark for "likely several years". Grim news for both the remaining MMO enjoyers and the League Lore appreciators, and especially that one goon

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

The riot mmo's "direction has been reset", and has been punted far into the future. They're going dark for "likely several years". Grim news for both the remaining MMO enjoyers and the League Lore appreciators, and especially that one goon

lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think the crashing and burning of both Legends of Runeterra and Riot Forge has maybe shown them that League players aren't likely to pay much attention to anything in the brand that isn't League, and non-League players are just going to ignore anything that has that branding on it. That project is almost certainly going to be quietly killed off.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I still want that fighting game to happen. That ship has probably already sailed, though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

njsykora posted:

I think the crashing and burning of both Legends of Runeterra and Riot Forge has maybe shown them that League players aren't likely to pay much attention to anything in the brand that isn't League, and non-League players are just going to ignore anything that has that branding on it. That project is almost certainly going to be quietly killed off.

As far as I'm aware the Riot Forge games were profitable, just not a titanic success, and I guess they'd prefer towering gigahits than a web of successful games.

Runeterra's biggest long-term issue was probably that they had no idea what they wanted it to be; they ping-ponged between PvE story modes (kind of popular but they had no idea how to monetize it) and PvP (easy to monetize but nobody plays it), and by the time they fleshed things out they were competing with Arena and Master Duel.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I still want that fighting game to happen. That ship has probably already sailed, though.

The fighting game has already been announced and previewed and is likely gonna be demoed at EVO this year, it even has a really stupid name.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FiestaDePantalones posted:

That's the vibe I've gotten from friends who are into fighters, its going to be another case of Riot missing their window. If they'd put it out early last year it might've gotten some traction but now there's new Street Fighter and new Tekken so nobody's really looking at anything else.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

The fighting game has already been announced and previewed and is likely gonna be demoed at EVO this year, it even has a really stupid name.

I can't wait for league of legends BBTag

And I mean that completely unironically, it looks super fun

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
LoR failed because it tried to fill a niche that didn’t exist in an already niche market. If you want an easy card game Hearthstone and Snap exist. If you want something more complex there’s Magic. The median is way too small to support an audience. TFT cannibalized the audience as well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
LoR's design issues are deeper than that. You can point to specific turns and board states that make Hearthstone fun. a.) turns where you do something complicated and crazy in a single turn and get massively ahead and b.) the turn you do the lethal math and 100% know you've won and your opponent has to watch you do it. In MTG there are often turns where you massively run away with the game and turns where you know you've completely wrecked your opponent with a control tool of some kind. LoR didnt really have fun turns where you've won the game because both players get so many opportunities to interfere with each other and unlike MTG you dont run out of cards like ever, like imagine trying to lethal a control player in MTG who always has seven non-land cards in hand thats how obnoxious it is to play LoR. There are a few fast spells like Back to Back where you can get massively ahead but even then you have to wait two long turns before you even get to use that advantage.

Fundamentally it was a bunch of sensible card game mechanics bundled together without an actual sense of how those mechanics were supposed to cohere into a reason to play the game. What Riot does better than anyone else imo is just regular balancing and massive amounts of expensive work to make small changes in league to keep it engaging and popular but I don't have much faith in them actually making a game people want to play without basically copying an already successful game like DotA 1/CS wholesale.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 21, 2024

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I feel like all most mmo fans wanted was for them to copy Classic World of Warcraft, change all the nouns, and call it a day. So that should be perfect for their design philosophy, but....

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

The fact that it wasn't even mentioned as a project of note when they made the announcement of projects that would go forward was pretty telling. The fighting game at least got an announcement that it would be going forward so I expect that will finish at least. It's also much further along of course. But yeah the MMO is dead for sure. To be fair its a hard genre to get into and it's unclear of how successful it could even be with WoW/FF14 and GW2,etc in the market already. If they are pairing things down, even successful things like the riot forge stuff, a project like that is a pretty easy choice to axe.

It also probably didn't help that they already had to replace leadership on the mmo once, so there's probably been a lot of trouble for the project behind the scenes for a while now. Which wouldn't be that unusual for a MMO but might be part of the reason why they got to that point. It just might not make sense for them to throw more resources at it now.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 21, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Forget the MMO and fighting game, when is Hytale going to get out of development purgatory? they also went dark after citing wanting to redesign the engine for the game for better netcode after getting the riot cash influx.

The trailer was 5 years ago, their little mascot character is in the riot login screen.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Eimi posted:

I feel like all most mmo fans wanted was for them to copy Classic World of Warcraft, change all the nouns, and call it a day. So that should be perfect for their design philosophy, but....

I was hoping for them to take the best of WoW and FFXIV to make a truly modern take on the standard MMO formula myself.

Which I think was the majority fan sentiment yes.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The fighting game is going into playable beta this year and releasing in 2025, feel like there is zero chance it is getting scuttled and the FGC is pretty unanimously stoked for the game. I feel like the Riot Forge stuff was scuttled mostly because of the layoffs. They still have a couple other titles in R+D and the people working on those projects were not laid off either.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm wondering if the MMO was some kind of tax break thing.

I was kinda hoping they'd show something off soon and it would be a more active combat system than most MMOs are, but right now it's starting to look like a shelved project.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I was hoping for them to take the best of WoW and FFXIV to make a truly modern take on the standard MMO formula myself.

Which I think was the majority fan sentiment yes.

I just really hate that WoWclone combat and progression is what's considered "standard MMO formula" when there is so, so much more than that. I hope that perhaps that is the direction the LoL MMO is going to go now but who fuckin knows at this point

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fajita Queen posted:

I just really hate that WoWclone combat and progression is what's considered "standard MMO formula" when there is so, so much more than that. I hope that perhaps that is the direction the LoL MMO is going to go now but who fuckin knows at this point

I mean it is considered standard because WoW and FFXIV are the big dogs in the yard and nothing else manages to compete. If your issue is the Healer/Tank/DPS trio, we have games that tried to not do that, it ended up causing issues with encounter design.

Plus Riot already had the "classes" for such a gameplay style.

The silly definitions of League characters also work perfectly for an MMO class list. Controller (Enchanter/Catcher), Fighter (Juggernaut/Diver), Mage (Burst/Battlemage/Artillery), Marksman, Slayer (Assassin/Skirmisher), Tank (Vanguard/Warden).

Not all of the names work; Burst, Catcher and Diver are all bad. You would probably need an extra healer title somewhere, Enchanter alone wouldn't be enough. But you could get a solid 8 starter player class options.

From there you just have to work out customisation (if you want it) and appearances. Which my personal thought would be you pick a nation of Runeterra and then get to select a class. The classes have the same mechanics regardless of nation, but visuals would be modified. So a Zaunite Juggernaut would use chemical injections but an Ionian one would use spirit magic for the same mechanical effect.

You would unlock other nations visuals via questlines. Maybe they might have slight variations in minor benefits.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
i just wish they would make nice skins again, color puke is getting old :(

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Arcane is about to do some of the most intense and immense damage control for a brand.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Arcane is about to do some of the most intense and immense damage control for a brand.

Mind providing details or explaining?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure the MMO announcement was to combat all the rumors of it being dead because of the layoffs and Ghostcrawler leaving. I am unwilling to call it dead but it's not coming out this decade anyway so might as well put it out of mind.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Umbreon posted:

Mind providing details or explaining?

The MMO/Legends of Runeterra were kind of carrying the "brand image" in terms of story/lore for a lot of people, something which otherwise only Arcane really worked great at.

Now that the MMO and LoR are both "dying" Arcane Season 2 is all those types of fans in particular have left.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Hellioning posted:

I'm pretty sure the MMO announcement was to combat all the rumors of it being dead

Not done a great job on that count, it would seem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

50/50 odds on arcane s2 being bad

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Endorph posted:

50/50 odds on arcane s2 being bad

I’ll take those odds so we get some more proper world building.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The MMO/Legends of Runeterra were kind of carrying the "brand image" in terms of story/lore for a lot of people, something which otherwise only Arcane really worked great at.

Now that the MMO and LoR are both "dying" Arcane Season 2 is all those types of fans in particular have left.

Not just all of that. It’s the fact that Riot made it abundantly clear they now have a dedicated Lore Team to work on Runeterra and give everything life and meaning. Now they are just throwing everything away for the time being. I love Runeterra and the potential of how epic the world can get but Riot kinda treating it like poo poo for the moment.

E: Grammar

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 22, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

unless the Lore Team (tm) is making them fat stacks of cash I wouldn't expect anything related to it to persist past 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

unless the Lore Team (tm) is making them fat stacks of cash I wouldn't expect anything related to it to persist past 2024

Were going back to shirts struggling to contain things, but this time its for all orientations of horny

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Kazinsal posted:

I'm wondering if the MMO was some kind of tax break thing.

I was kinda hoping they'd show something off soon and it would be a more active combat system than most MMOs are, but right now it's starting to look like a shelved project.

Riot’s timeline for games in r&d/pre-production is measured in years and years. It is common for an r&d game to start with a premise and see if they can make it work. No? Reboot and try a different angle. Reboot again etc. Sometimes that succeeds and sometimes the project gets shelved and people get shuffled off to other projects. There were some cool as poo poo r&d projects in dev for years that just couldn’t quite nail the premise you’ve never heard of and got canned.

It’s odd for them to publicly say hey our first draft didn’t pan out, but I’m guessing it’s related to them even mentioning an MMO years ago to attract interested talent. Total speculation on my part plz don’t sue me

Riot forge was a neat idea that I liked a lot, I suspect the financials just didn’t work out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Riot Forge produced the RPG game Ruined King which was basically just a sequel using a different IP to Battle Chasers and was quite good fun. What was not good fun about it was finding out that any human had willingly hosed Gangplank.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Arcane is a good show and i look forward to this new season causing a bunch of good remakes of champions.

I believe they said previously that Arcane S2 would cause Singed and Viktor to be remastered? Probably coming once they fix Skarner.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Anidav posted:

Arcane is a good show and i look forward to this new season causing a bunch of good remakes of champions.

I believe they said previously that Arcane S2 would cause Singed and Viktor to be remastered? Probably coming once they fix Skarner.

They have said nothing of the sort afaik. They did discuss why Vi and Jinx got the skins whilst Viktor/Singed did not.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They didn't specify the character, but they did say that one character in Arcane is going to be getting a VGU to match the changes that happen to them in season 2. This was from the same video that they announced all of the Arcane s2 tie-ins coming like Ambessa Medarda being added to LoL.

https://twitter.com/Spideraxe30/status/1743317595774693665

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean it is considered standard because WoW and FFXIV are the big dogs in the yard and nothing else manages to compete. If your issue is the Healer/Tank/DPS trio, we have games that tried to not do that, it ended up causing issues with encounter design.

Plus Riot already had the "classes" for such a gameplay style.

The silly definitions of League characters also work perfectly for an MMO class list. Controller (Enchanter/Catcher), Fighter (Juggernaut/Diver), Mage (Burst/Battlemage/Artillery), Marksman, Slayer (Assassin/Skirmisher), Tank (Vanguard/Warden).

Not all of the names work; Burst, Catcher and Diver are all bad. You would probably need an extra healer title somewhere, Enchanter alone wouldn't be enough. But you could get a solid 8 starter player class options.

From there you just have to work out customisation (if you want it) and appearances. Which my personal thought would be you pick a nation of Runeterra and then get to select a class. The classes have the same mechanics regardless of nation, but visuals would be modified. So a Zaunite Juggernaut would use chemical injections but an Ionian one would use spirit magic for the same mechanical effect.

You would unlock other nations visuals via questlines. Maybe they might have slight variations in minor benefits.

The entire paradigm you're framing this in is making a whole bunch of assumptions about what a MMORPG has to be that are based entirely on what WoW has warped the genre into, is kinda my point. The impression I'm getting is that's the kind of game they were going to make and have instead decided to do something completely different upon realizing it would be derivative slop that isn't worth making.

Ultima Online and DAOC and Runescape and Eve Online show that there is a lot of other space for completely different kinds of gameplay in a massively multiplayer game that isn't just boring everquest derivative "select target then push abilities" combat

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 22, 2024