Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

Any thoughts on Kassadin and the new runes? I've tried aery and comet, both of which seem reasonable, but not ideal. I've heard that press the attack kassadin might be a thing?

Electrocute..? He's an assassin with a 3+ hit burst combo who doesn't bring strong CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shaco seems okay right now honestly. His early ganks are pretty good with his mixed damage (ad shaco boxes hurt more now) and he transitions well to "erase one person" assassin.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

It's not explicitly stated because the Chinese censors would shoot them, but, yeah, they're 100% a gay couple.

Did you read the comic? It's very explicit.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

No I mean I'll happily play tanks. I've been playing Mundo mid against Zoe because for reasons I can't understand it works really well. I just can't stop bottom from feeding the Vayne because Vayne is back baby and there's too many people that need bans at my level.

It works because Mundo is disgusting right now. They gave him a bunch of free attack speed when he gets 100-200 ad from his E.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, he is one of the many, many characters who just beat Darius in every situation now because his E is better than Darius 5 stack passive. People keep banning Darius but I have no idea why, he's awful on this patch. Everything that hurts fighters hurts him terribly, and press the attack lets tons of other characters gently caress him up in a straight fight despite 5 stack passive. Once the dust settles a bit he's a lot of fun with fleet foot but right now, forget it.

Also is it just me or is Nasus loving insane suddenly? Every time I see one they just melt people.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's so many things wrong in this story. :psyduck:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

Some of those muscles are fictional

"It's fine, he's made of two bodies so any extras are just from the other body, it's fine." -Riot art staff, five minutes before deadline.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dude maybe you need to read that page if you think mutual emotional support is automatically co-dependency based on zero warning signs.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good starting characters imo:

Sion(1350)
Sion is a straightforward character with an obvious niche. He's tanky, has a lot of crowd control, and does good damage. He also has obvious weaknesses in lack of mobility and very telegraphed moves.
Nasus (1350)
Nasus is good for learning how to play safe and farm, but also for how to take an advantage and force it when you have it.
Jax (1350)
Jax is a cheap but strong fighter for learning how to 1v1 well.
Poppy (450)
Poppy is very cheap and a very effective tank, but you need to get good at positioning to use her E, good at reading fights to effectively use her R, and know a lot about enemy abilities to effectively use her W. She's not a terrible choice but she's working below potential as a starting champ in some ways.

Jungle
Warwick (450)
Warwick is pretty much the only modern champion explictly designed to have high accessibility. His moves are straightforward, his huge sustain makes him a very forgiving jungler, and he fights and ganks well.
Amumu (450)
Amumu is a straightforward cc tank jungler that costs nothing. Compared to Warwick, he's harder to clear with, more vulnerable to invades, and requires a little more finesse to hit bandage toss, but he's a good mold for learning tank jungling.

Mid
Annie (450)
Annie is the prototypical starter mage. She has a straightforward game plan (stun people and 100 to 0 squishies) and straightforward weaknesses (no mobility, short ranges, all burst, CC is telegraphs its availability). She's also good for learning how to weave AAs in trades because she's got a long AA range, and is forgiving on last hitting because of her q mana reseting on kill.
Morgana (1350)
Morgana is also relatively simple but she's very safe and can be high impact just by hitting a binding.

ADC
Tristana (1350 but free if you do their promotion where you like them on facebook or something)
Tristana has an escape/chase, self peel, wave clear, a trading tool, an attack speed buff, and scaling range. She's lacking in skillshot poke but she's pretty standard generally and has tools to undo mistakes.
Ashe (450)
Ashe has ranged poke, long range from level 1, vision for checking brush and objectives, a good AS steroid and a highly impactful ult with CC. She has no escapes so she's in some ways less forgiving than Trist, but a solid choice.
Sivir (450)
Sivir has no escapes other than speed from her passive and ult, zero CC, and her spellshield takes skill to use effectively, but she clears and pushes effortlessly.

Support
Janna (450)
Janna has one job: save the carry. Shield, heal, knock up people trying to kill them, knock away people trying to kill them. She has good trading as well if you use her shield smartly.
Soraka (450)
Heal mans, hit q to heal yourself, use E to stop people killing your mans. There's skill to her but her goals are easy to understand.
Sona (3150)
I hesitate to put a 3150 champ on this list, but Sona is the cheapest poke support available and poke support is an important dynamic to learn. Sona's main challenge is staying alive, her abilities auto target so using them effectively is usually easy outside of her ult.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheAnomaly posted:

This list is alright - I wouldn't use Sona right now as the current state of runes/masteries makes all low hp supports incredibly dependent on positioning, and she just gets beaten on in lane.

Get Karma at the same price for your poke support learning. Karma is more of a roller coaster on the good/bad spectrum, but her shield+MS+more health and good range on her poke means you can play safer while you learn.

Morgana and Zilean are the other two poke choices - Morgana is pretty safe but has trouble messing with the wave unintentionally, and Zilean has a pretty steep learning curve (but once you get him he can be incredibly oppressive).

For tank supports you could pick up Alistair or Blitzcrank - Blitz is a litter more forgiving (he grabs people to you so you don't have to just run up and whack them) but he's also much more likely to be banned.

I main support and off-play top, I think Garen is probably a pretty good cheap learner for top as well. Speed increase, a silence, and passive health regeneration make him a somewhat forgiving first top. OTOH Mundo has a ranged attack and everything else Garen has, so get Mundo. The added benefit of those two is that they are both really good in ARAM as tanks (tanking in ARAM is a completely different beast, though, so don't play ARAM and hope to learn the art of tanking)

Morgana is hard to play effectively as a support imo, I wouldn't recommend her to new players in that role. Her poke is really underwhelming since they stopped thunderlords and iceknife procing instantly on her pool as well as nerfing the early rank damage significantly. She has zero sustain for her carry and very little for herself so she's easily forced out, and using her ult without killing yourself requires comparatively a lot of knowledge about matchups. A lot of her strength is tied up in hitting a very slow skillshot and timing her shield well to absorb CC without it just getting popped. Playing passively also hurts her worse in bot lane, since she doesn't DO anything if she's not threatening a bind, whereas in mid you can just hang back and W since you're maxing it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is that damage dealt by or to a champ bc if it's damage to that Tris got bodied so hard I had to make sure it wasbt me

"Total damage to champions" is the damage that champion has dealt to other champions. It's usually a better indicator of usefulness for carries than KDA or total damage outside of some outliers (pokers naturally do more damage than bursters, pushers do more damage to objectives and creeps, etc). Also total damage done rather than done to champions is any kind of damage so you get wacky outliers like Ivern doing hundreds of thousands of true damage because of how his passive is coded.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nightgull posted:

I just want to say I like big, heavily armored guys a lot and Mordekaiser did not live up to that fantasy. Darius was really fun. But he seems very easy to run away from, and the Gnar I defeated in lane was even worse than me somehow. Darius Q is hard to hit sometimes.

I think next I will try Orn, or Illaoi. The bird girl also seems neat. Rayah? I like her aesthetic, though not as much as Kindred. Hopefully the next time Kindred is available, I'll be good enough to make use of her properly. I don't mean that in a creepy way, even though it sounds like it. I should probably go to sleep but I'm going to play Illaoi. Wish me luck, my new friends.

Morde's design is weird and slightly misleading, he's hard to kill like you might expect but he's an unusual mage/juggernaut rather than a more traditional tank or fighter. A lot of his survivability is essentially drain tanking.

Gnar softcounters Darius so that match up isn't the best to judge by, but yes, the main issue with Darius is his low mobility and easiness to kite. If you want someone who's very big and chunky I'd recommend Sion.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Illaoi's character is great but her kit can be frustrating. You kinda have to hope people are dumb enough to fight in your ult or near tentacles. She's pretty stellar if you can land e and people are willing to scuffle with you, though.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

Yeah it's perfectly viable to terrify the poo poo out of your lane opponent and just say either you fight me or you don't get to play League of Legends today. Illaoi gets a bonus to that because if they bring a friend to fight you you get to press R and kill them as well.

I've never felt Illaoi was really oppressive enough to do that. When I play against her I generally just keep up on CS, don't tend to lose much tower damage, and pray that my jungler doesn't hard commit on her next to a wall. It's not like Jayce or something who will murder you and your tower and deny you CS constantly.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iSurrender posted:

When he bloodboils himself it also autocasts on his closest ally.

And also if he W's an ally it bloodboils him as well so he might not even be self-casting.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iSurrender posted:

Small indie company need to step up their layout game (or not display clubtag in loading screen).

Guardian of the loading screen borders kha'zix is a little worse because that's not even user entry.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nightgull posted:

When should I be taking the rift herald as top lane. I've always left it up to the jungle like I do dragon and nashor, but today was the first time I actually saw it in action and it looked incredibly amazing. Can I solo it at any point. I'm usually either Urgot or Illaoi, if that matters.

Taking rift herald as top lane isn't usually a great idea because it takes a really long time and the enemy jungler can just slip in and smite it. Just ping your jungler to help take it if you take tower and force the other laner away or something.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Servaetes posted:

Probably but if you do it you won't hit two. Also you're a massive butthole if you do it

you hit two if you kill gromp or enough chickens, but you have to time it right to do that.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How do you play vlad? I still can't get a handle on him.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Japex posted:

If you're a masochist play Soraka and watch as your teammates run away from you when they're low.

you get a massive speed boost towards critical HP allies how can they be outrunning you

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Challenger :v:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Elentor posted:

I wish, I'm unbelievably rusty. I haven't played this game regularly since S3 and I haven't played more than, say, 30-40 matches a year since S5. I can auto-pilot to a victorious skin and that's pretty much it.

It was a joke about how to get to diamond by playing offtank Morg. Like "How do you get a million dollars by investing in league? Start with two million."

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not to say that things haven't changed or that Riot isn't allowed to change their minds, but wasn't getting CDR capped as a matter of course and not having to build for it specifically something that riot remade items to get away from...?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the idea is just to obfuscate the exact details of the compression, honestly. But also placements are sort of exciting for some people.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

I mean

If you've ever played at a higher level than silver you would probably feel the same way too. I don't necessarily disagree with that idea in general, since bronze players have basically no idea what to do other than fight a mans, let alone how to blow up the enemy nexus.

That said, Dong Huap is not funny

I think maybe, just maybe, they took issue with the social darwinism, not the part where he said bronze players were bad.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Mash posted:

Jungler requirements pre-patch:
  • map awareness
  • vision control
  • mechanics
  • shot-calling
  • smite-timing

Jungler requirements post-patch:
  • map awareness
  • vision control
  • mechanics
  • shot-calling
  • smite-timing

Honestly this is a change for proplay, and in proplay if the enemy jungler is even able to get into the pit your team is doing some desperation play or has hosed up.

Basically just have a malzahar to suppress them or an alistar to kick them out

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I should build this stupid item more when I'm ahead

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Move over Syndra, Malzahar has a new companion in the voidwagon.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

With Wit's end in the patch notes getting 100g cheaper with +2 damage and going from 5 MR steal to 6 melee/3 ranged it made me think.

Who actually builds wit's end besides ranged champs? I can only think of Kog/Kayle/Teemo/Varus and it's sometimes situational for them.

Historically some tanks that have heavy auto interaction like Shen have, and it's the sort of item Yi might build if it's good. Shyvana and Jax also might work with it, except that no one builds AS on Jax anymore. Cho'Gath used to sometimes as a niche strategy, especially on TT, when E was a toggle. The problem is not a lot of characters want attack speed and not crit. Azir might build it but it'd need to be very overtuned.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If tank Ekko ever comes back he might build it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also like, people in this game can be pretty fuckin spiteful, if you ban their pick it might not end super good for you if they decide to int or something. But it's mostly just a dick move, especially in normals. Even in ranked, I don't think if you ban Teemo your support trying to play Teemo is gonna go "aw man better bust out my 100% winrate Braum then I guess", they'll probably just be even worse with something dumber.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 26, 2018

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

say no to bats posted:

So if I logged into league and was made to pick a new summoner name, is that to mean my old one was reported and disallowed?

Had that one for 7 or 8 years...

How long has it been since you last played? They release summoner names of inactive accounts from time to time.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
E: f;b
New Irelia looks irritating

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:therapy:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teikanmi posted:

I guess the real question is "what kind of weirdos actually care about what the characters in the this game look like/lore"

to me they're just abilities on legs and could all look like ugly chuds and it wouldn't make any difference

Teikanmi posted:

I play this PvP game to poo poo on other people across the world and make them feel inadequate. The map/models could be composed to differently colored cubes and I wouldn't care as long as there was a large and sufficiently challenging playerbase with some kind of deeper mechanic.

why the gently caress do you buy skins then

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teikanmi posted:

i've never spent money on this game

Teikanmi posted:

I got festive Maokai for 50% off which is cool because I main Maokai and it’s the only skin I don’t have and also now I can go “MERRY CHRISTMAS, that’s right we can finally say it again ladies and gentlemen... that’s right”

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

Building any AP on Kai'Sa at all is actually really bad.

DD is p. good though yeah

Actually, pure AP Kai'Sa is a hilarious gimmick.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And yet, Fog was a green card.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean nosedive usually ends up being nosedived instead of nosedove so towerdive could follow the same rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

why do you have voice volume so much higher than the rest of the game wtf