Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It's a lot simpler than it sounds. Basically there are just X of each character in the pool (I think it's like 39 Rank 1s to 10 Rank 5s) so if people buy up a ton of the same character, there will be less/none for the rest of the players.

Yeah, think of it as everyone drawing five from the same deck of cards and there's your round pool. The more of a character you can see around the table, the less there are in the deck.

EDIT: You can calculate the chances of a,particular champ turning up in your pool with reasonable accuracy, since you can see people's boards.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Greggster posted:

I've always wondered, does that mean when you sell characters, they come back to the pool of characters (and for instance, a lvl 3-character is broken back into 9 lvl 1-characters)?

I'm guessing yes, but the thing you have to remember is that your level also changes the odds of the pool you draw from. Since getting a 3* requires a lot of copies, its generally only 1 cost champs, and by the time you sell it, 1 cost champs will turn up in your pool around maybe 20-30% of the time.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Monicro posted:

I've come to find the nerd assertion that a game has to be completely devoid of any random elements in order to be fair extremely endearing. I saw a professional poker game once and started violently shaking and my ears started ringing

It would help if nerds actually realised what poker and mtg is, but doing so means you don't get to hide behind RNG and blaming others for your mistakes and inability to win. For a bunch of people banging a drum about getting bullied, nerds have some of the most fragile egos on planet earth.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Stretch Marx posted:

It's not the variance I have a problem with. I like making my own card/board games and it's incredibly important for keeping a game from becoming predictable and stale. It's that the chart someone posted earlier with the percentages per level don't seem to match if cards from dead players are returning to the draft. Multiple times now I've tested it by sitting at Rank 5 with it's supposed 35% draw rate for level one cards, purposely wait for players to fall out below, and let others go ahead. Watched two players with lvl 2 Kassadins die while I had the 3rd and a couple of copies of lvl 1. Theoretically, if they die 6 copies of Kassadin return to the pool. At 35% and 10 gold I should be able to see at least one in 5 rolls of a hand of 6 cards for one of the remaining hands of the game. But they literally never appeared again. Not: one was there and you missed it , oops!. It happens way too consistently,

Also you may be looking at an old sheet, because there is no longer a 35% for a 1-cost card. it goes from 40% to 29% at level 5 -> 6

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Midig posted:

Based on the statistics (you can egg on it for small sample size, but I think its ok personally). There is an average winrate overall on a champion, like the ones you can find on u.gg, varies based on rank of course. So far so good. Then there is average winrate of those who have played under 50 games, over 50+ games and over 200+ games. So the obvious conclusion is of course that the winrate will be low at less than 50 and spike (again, obviously) at the other intervals. The observation I was making is that Annie, at that time, while being a very simple to play champion, had an incredible winrate for those who played over 200+ games. Which I find interesting since you would expect that from champions that are mechanically difficult like Zed, Yasou, Lee Sin, Irelia etc.

But that is my (now silver again) opinion.

Geez, you guys are so harsh btw.

Do... Do you think that winrate at high levels of champ familiarity is directly correlated to mechanical complexity?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Stuff It, I'm in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LTkhoCOqg

This game was bad. I was flustered, I CS'd like poo poo and died multiple times where I shouldn't have. We surrendered at 15 and 20 but neither went through. But my big focus and what I'm worried/looking for advice on is my decision making. Did I make calls that were bad inherently, or were they just bad in the moment?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
35% at base, trending to something like 50. You take 1 point at 3 and leave till last, but it's great.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Realtalk fiddle's sickle is a darkin weapon, but the darkin inside is too stupid to realise that he's using a scarecrow, not a human.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 12, 2020

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
It's All weekend meta down here...

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Also Graves but uhhh... graves is a whole thing.

The big Botrk champions are Vayne and Ashe as I recall. In ashe's case, her damage doesn't scale particularly well with ASpeed OR crit, so building Botrk first gives her an extra slow for survivability/kiting and the onhit % damage. She still builds a hurricane/Iedge because she does gain something from crits or aspeed, but the hurricane is for the passive and the iedge is gravy for better slows than actual crit

Vayne loves rageblade because her E procs are a great source of damage, but again you want at least 1 damage item first and none of the BFS items are particularly synergistic or useful, and crits are not great on her. Cutlass, OTOH, is nice sustain to help shore up vaynes 'early' game, and Botrk comboes really well with rageblade later, so it's a good choice.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Hellioning posted:

Remember the last time Riot decided to update a champ and let them ignore ignore turrets?

Like this is definitely less scary than Akali because it's on an ult and not a regular ability but still.

I mean he's also not akali, and tower diving is a pretty normal thing in general. We'll see.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Can we get back to the topic at hand, which is why has riot never spent weeks on social media roleplaying as one of the cool and good champs they released instead, like Yuumi.

I mean clearly it should be yuumi's disappeared owner with nothing but catposts of yuumi. Yuumi has paws not sure how well that translates to posting on the internet.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That part I find a bit offputting about her backstory, whatup Skarner what do you think of my new hit single? oh why am I asking you, I'm sure you've heard it a bunch before.

Piltover-champions.txt, the entire city is basically pre-fall Rapture built on oppression and exploitation. Not that this is bought up in anything but the vaguest terms really.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

:hmmyes:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And then there is the lore, hearing the souls trapped in the crystals being used like batteries for a unknowing city just to keep their continued suffering and exploitation a secret so she can get famous off their soul songs, they unintentionally made her one of the more sinister champion lores in the entire game, which would work great if they were going for that angle of making her two-faced sweet and kind publically but manipulative and cruel deep down, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

This is Riot, they try to 'morally grey' a lot of things, which is why Sylas is a freedom fighter from the oppressive regime of the Mage-hating Demacia that forcibly abuses a minority of their populace for the crime of 'being born with magic', a fact that every single Demacian Champion bar lux is complicit in, and yet somehow Sylas is the bad guy because he killed the previous king/wants to kill mage hunters and the nobles who were responsible. Riot Writing: Not Great.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Hauki posted:

its honestly the dumbest poo poo that you can't use 1v1 practice tool for any champ regardless of ownership

Riot promised replays SoonTM in like Season 1, and their client is and always has been a piece of poo poo. The practise tool can be no different.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

RealFoxy posted:

I think Riot has to disclose that somewhere due to EU laws on lootboxes, I just don't know where the data would be.

The most recent test I saw anyone do was on NA in 2018 but I don't think they were level-up capsules.

It's possible the level-up capsules are weighted towards older champions, because they usually have the more basic mechanics, and the idea was to give people enough champions to be competitive by level 30 with enough essence and free champions

I don't think it's 'older champs' so much as 'cheaper shards' which means cheaper champs which means mostly older champs. The level up capsules have a significant chance to drop multiple champ shards, which limits how often you're getting a single champ anyway, and I think (don't quote me on this at all) the chance of getting a 4800 is significantly higher than getting a 6300. And Riots price reduction has been garbage, they're up to what, just past halfway 2014 for champ reductions from 6300 to 4800?

That's not to mention the sheer size of the champion pool makes pure BE unlocking a Sisyphean Task for the average player. But hey, Riot and League probably don't care overmuch, it's not like new players are heir lifeblood anymore.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

SirSamVimes posted:

I read the description of the shards you can buy with tokens and it's the other way around. Those are guaranteed to give you a shard for a champion worth at least 4k

ah, it's possible that I conflated the two, but I guess that tracks to the same basic endpoint: level up capsules with give you cheaper champs and thus older champs.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Probably Nunu. Consume makes sustain simple, you have solid AOE clear, it's fast and ganking is a button and a small hill of a learning curve. He's also really strong this patch after the changes.

Warwick has zero AOE clear and even after grabbing Tiamat has trouble keeping up in cs, which is fine because he's supposed to be ganking, but does make him less consistent.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 6, 2021

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm assuming it's a backer NPC, but lmao that a backer League Superstar pog boyfriend paid money to insert their favourite League champion into the game.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

rabidsquid posted:

i know you're new but we already knew he was a support

Hey the supports refuse to take responsibility for that one. Something about mergers and acquisitions with the Guild of Assassins. They're already in hot water over the Fasting Senna deal.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Biplane posted:

Right but turks in particular? What makes them so bad. I've known some fine turks

The TR server is a perennial favourite of SaltyTeemo, a twitch stream that showcases the lowest rank games of league it can find for amusement/the betting of fake currency. TR is well known for having players who are vocal and maybe slightly more toxic than usual, which is certainly entertaining. If you were an idiot you might expect that this is the default state for TR players and draw conclusions about those players as a whole, rather than realising that SaltyTeemo showcases people who are exceptions to the average player.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Miftan posted:

This goes all the way to Diamond if not higher.

Ranked is the queue for the sweatiest of League players, it's a somewhat self-selecting system.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Hellioning posted:

Yeah like. Most autoattackers have some amount of healing, whether via runes, items, or their kit. Of course Bramble Vest and Thornmail are going to be picked up a lot.

Also just... healing in general. They said they were trying to make grievous wounds not such a binary with the item rework, but those plans seem to have fallen by the wayside in favour of just making sure every role has access to it and then 'figure it out guys'

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
It's just cho'gall from HOTS, but only if you end up in LPQ and two random players from each side have to play as him.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Support is a bit of a paradox in that it's one of the most influential roles in the game but also the role you stick your worst player in so they don't do too much damage to your chances of winning.

I think it would be fairer to say that the impact of a good support is highly visible while the impact of a bad support is measured in missed opportunities, so people have this idea that playing support is 'easy' because the failures of a support are both spread out across the map and more importantly are not immediately connectible to clear loss. Somone not warding properly, failing to peel, and not biting on pick opportunities is going to be less visible than somone else getting picked, your damage dealers not getting damage done, and losing a close 4v5 teamfight, even if a good support would have both ensured that those things didn't happen but also turned it into a 5v4 in your favour.

Anyway, then most people say 'put the worst person on support' and the support player learns a set of skills that are role-specific while not learning how to CS.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's gonna be a Tesla coil. Look at top right.

'It's a gun, Jayce. A gun that shoots Statikk Shivs.'

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

riot doubling down on dragon stacking being a completely waste of loving time or game winning based completely on RNG by still not buffing cloud soul and adding two even more powerful souls. like, how can they not consider it a problem that when you do the first two dragons, you have no idea whether it was worth it?

They also said 'we think new champ balance was good this season (with the exception of Dr. Mundo)' so really at this point it's just propaganda.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Kazinsal posted:

early game akshan is literally one of the most broken things the game has had in years. by late game he's no longer a problem but in the first 10 minutes he's got more game mechanics on each button than everyone else's entire kits and riot think that's just peachy

At the end of the day, Akshan isn't exactly doing anything particularly broken or insane with those reams of text, so the whole thing is just dumb instead of dumb, but at least fun.

I mostly just wish that Riot would go out of their way to admit that sometimes their content just doesn't work the way they want it to and try and change it. Guinsoo's Rageblade being this weird 'crit to on-hit' item only makes it less attractive to both sides of that coin, and I can't help but feel that it was Riot wanting all their ADC items to give crit but having to admit that not all ADC's want crit. Guinsoo's works fine, but it's an item that already does a cool niche thing, it doesn't need all the extra text.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 10, 2021

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

SirSamVimes posted:

The full robot council members says something along the lines of "[their] race" being destroyed by magic so I don't think they're human

His name is 'Councillor Idris Bolbok' or something, according to the loading screen tip that I got this morning, and he appears to be fully mechanical, since it describes him as 'hates the arcane with every wire and bolt in his body' or somthing to that effect.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Biplane posted:

they nerfed demonic embrace :negative: :qq:

They didn't nerf it, they changed it entirely, removing one of the few remaining means for mages to gain resistances. If you're a mage you build health and that's about it. At least Seraph's now heals you for mana spent and a few items have more Ability Haste.

Axiom Arc, the lethality item that gives you ultimate cooldown, is the dumbest poo poo and I hate it for eighty different reasons.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Vermain posted:

I have a feeling Axiom Arc is gonna be one of those items like Sanguine Blade where everyone freaks out about it in preseason, including a 4k upvote Reddit thread, and then Riot gives it a gentle tap on the head and absolutely no one uses it until it's removed next season.

Yup, because its a dumb power option that is either great and should be conceivably taken, or its basically useless. I think riot uses the playerbase to gauge what lesser effect would play better, but while its obvious they're not gonna get viable data without hitting live, it's frustrating when this is their solution.

Especially when their mythic system is still not in a great place.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

gowb posted:

Do any of the new items look good on Singed

New being a bit of a misnomer, technically he can stack tear fast and go for winter's approach/fimbulwinter.

By far his personal favourite changes are demonic embrace getting extra max % health burn and instead of resistances it just converts bonus health into AP, and new chemtank is sweet.

Extra magic pen off shadowflame I guess?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

SirSamVimes posted:

A pure guess, but the reworked Cosmic Drive for a bonus 10% movespeed for as long as you remain in combat sounds good for him.

It was already good anyway, IIRC it was a possible pickup later on. The main issue is just that you have a limited budget especially early and well.. mythic and Demonic are basically required first. After that... I guess it depends on if singed can survive having basically no resistances or needs to be building survivability rather than pure damage.

(also Rylais would probably be 3rd, no? If you don't need defences)

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Elephunk posted:

You guys are right, I think Ahri has a dream in the hotel with full anime images where she bangs Yasuo but then she wakes up and he's actually spooning his katana alone in the corner on the floor

/spoiler

He's not spooning his katana he's 'drawing his blade', IYKWIM.

(it's very literal)

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Barudak posted:

I like awkwardly declining sex with Illaoi Braum. I bet he doesn't even know where babies come from.

Pretty sure Braum has delivered a variety of babes in the middle of snowstorms on peaks and in all sorts of situations. I feel like he knows exactly where babies come from, and is declining for some other reason, be it personal or otherwise.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh, so he's like Samson

I mena, clearly he'd be wiser than Samson, given the situation and story there. But also I'm not entirely certain Braum isn't legitimately a Mythic Figure, the amalgamation of the Tales of Braum, and therefore asexual.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

el dingo posted:

Can i have a YouTube thumbnail with large icons and ????? to prove it please

Edit: To truly stay in the spirit of Youtube Clickbait, have a (slightly) more faithful version:

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 16, 2021

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

pog boyfriend posted:

every time riot says "we are noticing nobody is playing rengar now" they should be celebrating

And yet they're fixing his Chemtech issue and buffing him. Leading to my personal hot take: They should tihnk about remaking Rengar.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

How Rude posted:

I think it's mostly the voice but also he is a cute slime buddy.

Zwc has a good home life, believe it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Almost all the bruiser items are getting adjusted. Wonder what they're doing to them.

So far, according to PBE, it's mostly small (like +5) AD boosts followed by some HP nerfs. Biggest changes are Divine Sunderer and Sterak's, with Honourable Mention to Goredrinker. I don't think people are gonna be happy with the changes, but it's somewhat tentative days yet.