Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's me, I'm the guy with the S3 challenger icon in the OP.

It's the best icon because no one needs to know I got it from TT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a nightmare scenario.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Much like pre-rework Sion, I miss pre-rework Zyra. I can no longer mono-champion my way in the game because nothing else feels as right as plant lady did. I don't even play her anymore, the pain is too hard to bear.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super Librarian posted:

I can't speak for Elentor but I think it's a little less fun now that each individual plant feels a bit less impactful. Reworked Q also still feels a bit more awkward to aim and quickly cast.

Yeah pretty much it.

kingcobweb posted:

Her kit barely changed, and the changes improved her. Idk what you’re missing. The slowest movespeed? The near-useless passive? Not actually being able to make a plant till level two?

I never said she got nerfed, but I preferred her old kit. Her old Q and plant damage was a lot of fun. The other stat changes never really mattered to me even in SR because half the fun of Zyra for me was doing these elaborate bait setups and there was a lot more punch to them when the Q and plant budget weren't spread over the fact you can now have more plants. Plants to me were a bit like mushrooms and a lot of stuff I did before that downright murdered people now don't really do anything.

Also even after all the nerfs her passive was nowhere near useless. It was a poorly designed passive that is worse than the new one, yes, but it worked in favor of an anti-engage playstyle. Her passive did enough to damage to make ganks dubious. So you had these situations where you were forced under the tower and your buffed stats can't really do anything against a towerdive. You're counting on the burst damage, which old Q + on-demand plants provided. Whether by mistake or not that damage was very tightly tuned enough to kill enemies in a lot of situations, and her awful passive covered the rest of the situations for a guaranteed 1 for 1 or, more often than the enemies expected, 1 for 2. I definitely don't miss her old passive and I don't like the design choice of making passives that depend on you dying, but the amount of 1 for 2 trades I got out of it was crazy.

Edit: Also, unless they decide to improve her E travel speed, her movespeed changes shouldn't affect her win condition as a solo laner in any meaningful way, and if they do for your playstyle then you're better off playing any other champion instead after the rework. They're a much, much more effective change for support Zyra.

Something that hasn't been touched upon is the fact that there's been a power creep that her rework did not address, and that power creep is what is resulting in her current "solo laning viability buffs". I feel like even if her budget was increased it was spread a bit too thin and it made a lot more sense in the context of her being a support. Playing as solo Zyra just became downright unfun for me after the changes. :smith:

Elentor fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 24, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's really not the best mode they've added.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stallion Cabana posted:

if this was done in Pro League games they'd have lost their poo poo at the pro Katarina.

#1: FAKER. Once again. Doing the impoooossible. Pulling yet another off-meta champion. He's saying, they may ban my Ryze, they may ban my Galio, but they cannot deny me! And that's the narrative that SKT always goes with, they cannot be stopped!

#2: Such an incredible performance at Worlds coming from our reigning champion. His ability to know exactly when and how to gank pays off once more in what looks like. Another big win. For SK Telecom.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

people with the proper game knowledge to get to mid-high diamond by themselves are worth 2-3 silver players

This reminds me of almost 10 years ago a guy in a PVP WoW guild who only played with you if you could smurf through the 1800s Rating (which was like Gold 5, I think) by solo 1v2ing while he AFK'd. The moment I saw my Priest friend do it against a Priest/Lock was pretty impressive.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For the entire history of this game Morgana has always been my go-to champion when my last-hitting was bad and I wanted to make sure I hit 10+ cs per minute without any effort or thought whatsoever.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

have you seen my baby posted:

Yeah it sounds kind of interesting but having an, "all your best champs will be banned" feature really turns me off of wanting to play it

Eh, speaking as someone kinda famed for being a mono-champion player, it's not that bad. It's annoying yes but if actually gives leeway for you to pull stuff they might not be expecting if they've been watching your games. Sometimes you can counter their counter with champions that are just variations of the archetype with which you're comfortable and it feels pretty great.

Edit: Also if the teams don't know you beforehand which will probably be the case with a lot of these tournaments, you can probably trick a bunch of them by just practicing with an alternate hero and filling your last played games with it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 11, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meh.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish we had ranked URF.

Edit: Or Ranked URF Magma Chamber.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tryndamere

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monathin posted:

Nope and nope!

Amumu then

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Shortest Path posted:

When has it not been League of Janna?

Always play Janna.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have they ever released a Zyra chroma, I have a bunch of RP saved for it for a long while now but I can't find any.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trip report: Janna is still as fun to play as ever and it's great murdering people with her. 8 seasons of good fun, always play Janna.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Dregs posted:

I should really try her but I'm afraid shes too complicated for Bronze ADC's. That's why I stopped playing Rakan.

If your ADC is doing nothing or passively farming just shield yourself and murder them all with Janna. If he decides not to be useless then you can shield him while you use him as a diversion to destroy them.

This is one of the few constants that has been preserved since the first season and unless they do some horrible rework on Janna that changes her toolkit this will probably remain to be true.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Dregs posted:

I don't know anything about her really, never see her in bronze. But in my experience a support who actually supports here just doesn't get poo poo done. I have been steadily climbing since I switched from Soraka to Zyra. I have nothing against her, I plan to try her. This is about ranked, of course. If it were normals I'd take her in the jungle or something. You guys have more specific tips other then "murder other team"?

Sure, I'll give you a breakdown of why Janna is good and has been good in forever. Let's assume that your AD carry is present and being useless. He still gives you two tools: An automatic cleaning of the lane (which may suck but you can help him if that's the case) and the present, psychological threat that someone is there and thus an all-in is not a valid move given equal conditions between both teams. So let's see how you disrupt that balance.

When you're in lane the enemy ADC has to farm. During this moment he cannot, unless he cancels the animation or gives up a minion, counter your action. Since your ADC is farming as well you'll probably have the most spare time to harass your enemies with free AAs. Some champions, like Sona, can deal tremendous amounts of damage early on.

If you're on the offensive, then think of the other support as, say, a bishop covering the piece you're targeting. If you take it, the bishop will take it back. So you have the following options: You outmaneuver the enemy support and win the positioning battle, which is why positioning is so important, you fall back, you trade with the enemy ADC and take damage from the support, or you trade with the support instead to weaken his presence. The correct option is usually dependent on your positioning, the current state of the enemy lane (health pool, items) and the enemy champion composition.

Janna allows you to engage in-and-out to poke relatively fast and smooth and you can win a lot of trades because her shield both reduces incoming damage and increases your damage. Once you have W you throw it in for a slow and extra damage, and if you had the initiative then the enemy should be on the retreat because he'll be vulnerable to a full-on engagement by your ADC. If the enemy decides to leave, you can get a few more attacks in because he's slowed. If he decides to engage, you can outrun him because you're faster. If you have Q, then you can also disengage anytime you want, and most of the time the enemies are positioned in such a way that you'll be able to disengage from the two of them with a single Q.

Your skills are all answers to situations you'll encounter. Barring your ADC being so poorly positioned that he'll be harassed by the two of them and he never ever trades, your shield should be good enough to protect it from damage as well. And if your ADC is absolute dead weight and you notice that, you put yourself in the poking position so that they're on the defensive and don't get the opportunity to capitalize (or even realize) that your carry is useless.

As for every other situation you might run into, you have a move speed buff, a move speed debuff, an aoe knock airborne for disengage, an aoe knockback for disengage and heal. You use all those tools to poke when the opportunity shows itself and disengage as soon as the enemy decides to counter back. Do it until they die.

Also:

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

The reason you don’t see Janna played in Bronze is because people who play Janna automatically escape bronze and usually silver too

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Janna is actually extremely fun because you get to harass the poo poo out of their adc and then laugh as you can float around the map with 10% health and be still completely effective

Yeah Janna is one of the more fun champions. Always be Janna. Plus you get to tilt the enemy team constantly. Speaking of which -

el dingo posted:

Janna, lulu etc are boring as poo poo. I know I'd probably climb my dumb butt out of whatever elo if I put time into janna but I'd rather engage all day every day

Roam constantly as soon as you finish T2 and pick fights, you can force anyone out of position into a fight with either your W or Q, or just do the good old flash R half the enemy team into yours and chain CC the squishie. Every time you see an enemy you can engage and you have multiple tools to slow them down. I mean, same as Lulu. Lulu even has the advantage of being able to put out damage making her unbelievably annoying to play against.

The beauty of having such ridiculous disengages is that you can play as aggressively as you want as well.

The problem with Morgana is that her shield is almost always available and it >nullifies effects<. If the enemy Morgana is good, that means she has a dispel that she can use on others on an extremely low cooldown compared to the alternatives, and compared to a bunch of ults her dispel can nullify. Even if the enemy is bad at prediction there's still a plethora of abilities that give you time to react.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Offtank Morgana mid has carried me to Diamond

Thank for the tip whichever goon this was

That sounds interesting, where do I start?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I wish, I'm unbelievably rusty. I haven't played this game regularly since S3 and I haven't played more than, say, 30-40 matches a year since S5. I can auto-pilot to a victorious skin and that's pretty much it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It was a joke about how to get to diamond by playing offtank Morg. Like "How do you get a million dollars by investing in league? Start with two million."

I would never get that because I'm the kind of awful human being who plays tank mages. If Tank Zyra works I'm sure Tank Morgana works too.

Verviticus posted:

lol at them nerfing ryze again

I'm out of the loop, but is Ryze even good at solo queue right now? Every time I see them nerfing Ryze it seems targeted at pro play.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Always shoot for #1 but be accepting of the possibility you'll end up last.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's my unpopular opinion: That has always been the case since the game's inception and I've been preaching that since before madlife MVPed a worlds.

Not that I disagree with him that there was a support power creep but I honestly, down-to-earth believe that the biggest impairment to support players are how supports were expected to be played and even the name support carries a connotation that the average LoL player is not happy with.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wangsbig posted:

i am a meek worm and have the small, shriveled balls of a coward. who is the champ for me

Singed is a trap. While it's true that you deal damage by running away from your enemies the optimal way to play Singed involves being crazy enough to always be in situations where the enemies want to chase you in the first place.

Teemo is a good champion if you want to torment your enemies and you feel like devoting your time to plan escape routes.

Lulu is probably the answer you're looking for to be honest.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teikanmi posted:

I guess the real question is "what kind of weirdos actually care about what the characters in the this game look like/lore"

to me they're just abilities on legs and could all look like ugly chuds and it wouldn't make any difference

"Yeah what a weirdo thing to do, all these 99.9999% other humans who care and are influenced by art and aesthetics. The normal thing to do is to lie about buying video game skins, that will surely help me fit in with those weirdos.

It's a good thing a superior being like me has no need for such petty things. Now excuse me while I try to make other people feel inadequate."

Teikanmi posted:

also i hope this becomes real

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 8, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

a champion is only fun and difficult if they have 70 buttons to hit and require playing the minigame from mario party 2 where you memorize the flags the shy guy shows you in order to land a 100 damage q at level 1

When it comes down to amount of keybinds 70 was unironically a lower bound for some classes in WoW Arena. Hunter had an upper bound of 120 in some seasons.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 12, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Every time I think back to WoW arena, the phrase "well-timed mace stun" echoes through my head like a gong. How the heck did people seriously play that?

I played thousands of LoL matches and I don't think anything in LoL or any competitive game ever induced even the tiniest fraction of rage that was playing against rogues. In retrospective I think Arena has made me a much more zen player.

At some point I'd just quit the matches against Rogue+Lock to save everyone time. I remember a season long win rating of 0% against that.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 12, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In all fairness a nearly out-of-mana Orangemarmalade at 10% health 1v2ing a full health SK Gaming was one of the insanest gaming moments I've ever seen and it's kinda lost in time because everyone can kinda get Justin vs Daigo or Faker vs Ryu but no one rightfully gives a flying poo poo about WoW Arena and even if they did, it was really hard to follow what the hell was going on.

Edit: Not to mention boring as gently caress to watch after the initial kill.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 12, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man don't even joke about Super Mario 64 :v:

kingcobweb posted:

Can you explain this for people that never followed what appears to be competitive Super Mario 64

There's kinda of a huge slow down of what happened with text explaining the events here.

The TLDR is that he lured them, guessed which skills they would use and in which order, baited all of them, stole the priest's shield and used a combination of game mechanics to increase his own damage by properly absorbing the incoming damage, then dealt the exact damage he needed to kill the enemy mage. Also, despite how it looks because the game can't show what's happening for poo poo, your decision making in arena had to be significantly faster than your decision making in a LoL teamfight most of the time.

If he had rushed, he would have died. If he had taken a few miliseconds longer, he would have died. If he had executed any other combination of skills (and like I said, the amount of skills a single character in WoW had was huge, in that period he probably had more buttons and passives than the 10 players in a single LoL match altogether) in a 10 seconds range, he would have died. The decision tree of skills as a mage in WoW is pretty huge. Besides having to play a mind-game and guessing their actions, he had to keep a mental tab on what buffs the enemies had and their skill cooldowns as well, which people have trouble doing in LoL against a few ults.

And he had to be stone cold about it because he was in a completely hopeless situation. The narrators are pretty much singing on how SK won and honestly I don't think anyone saw it coming. Imagine if Faker's Zed had started at even lower health, and Ryu had a tanky dedicated healer next to him, the entire tournament depended on that Zed vs Zed fight and that's more or less the situation for Orangemarmalade there.

You can probably count the amount of players in the world who understood what happened during the match in one hand. I was watching it live with a mage gladiator (the highest rank/challenger equivalent) friend and he couldn't even begin to explain.

Dragongem posted:

It's too bad that it's not really easy to follow, because I imagine it's pretty fun for the people doing it. I've tried watching it occasionally but unless you know the classes it's really hard to get a sense of anything.

It wasn't super fun, unfortunately. It was challenging and because of that it gave you a nice sense of satisfaction when you reached a nice milestone but it wasn't a particularly fun form of PvP. Hell, I think raiding was a far more cathartic competitive experience, if you want my opinion.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 12, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not much sorry for the derail.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/League-Of-Legends-Challenger-Jacket-/201975990887

Man this is a lot of money.

kingcobweb posted:

More people post clips of their plays ITT please, I like seeing clips of people's plays and it makes the thread more interesting imo.

I kinda realized that I only have clips of Janna or me auto-attacking people for a minute until they die and now I'm sad.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bring back old Zyra

https://i.imgur.com/h5gxn9f.mp4

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

they should remove mana from the game

For real, this.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

i control the game with a specially made fleshlight

But do you bind the flesh on D or F

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have faith that they'll win.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Big changes are being planned for ranked in 2019. Probably the biggest change is the addition of positional matchmaking, where your relative MMR in the matchmaker is determined by the system's confidence in each specific position you play. Thus, instead of being specifically Gold V or whatever, you're Gold V in Top, Silver II in Bot, Gold I in Mid, etc.

Not specifically sure how I feel about this idea. Biggest problem is role swapping in champion select, and the second biggest is that getting autofilled can end up feeling even worse, since even getting carried doesn't necessarily mean you're advancing on your "main" role (if your goal is to hit Diamond/Challenger).

I think this is a really good change.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wood would be great but they're probably going for iron or copper.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The scoring system is not exactly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The scoring system doesn't punish anyone. It does less to LoL than the Diablo 2 Battle.net gem did to Diablo 2. Which is honestly its only saving grace.