Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Pavlov posted:

I dunno, it depends on the nature of the exploit. If someone is deleting database entries, they could have had access to log files too, and deleting log files is pretty common for breaking into a system.

Yeah, it depends too, if they want to be sneaky they can delete individual log files, but it also depends on the OS the server is running. It's easier to just use a pivot/redirector with tunnels, therefore the only thing they have logs on is something not entirely right. Or even a good VPN somewhere in the mix. Log files are great and all but it depends on wether the guy or not knows what he is doing security wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Equate posted:

Yeah, it depends too, if they want to be sneaky they can delete individual log files, but it also depends on the OS the server is running. It's easier to just use a pivot/redirector with tunnels, therefore the only thing they have logs on is something not entirely right. Or even a good VPN somewhere in the mix. Log files are great and all but it depends on wether the guy or not knows what he is doing security wise.

I'm not sure they do, hours after the hack kicked off, they weren't sure whether it was a script that edited a single table, or AQL injection.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Well the reaction they had (shut down all pvp in the servers affected and manually try to compensate guilds) instead of just rolling back the nodes a day or so says a lot as to how they go about fixing things :v:

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
After deciding tonight that we needed new walls on the outside we had a plan up and running in about 20 minutes.

It's great when we don't have a pubbie dumbass deciding our wall plans

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Kimsemus posted:

I'm not sure they do, hours after the hack kicked off, they weren't sure whether it was a script that edited a single table, or AQL injection.

the head dev of the game posted:

[3:51 PM] Bobik: Dear players!
We've received some reports (mostly from NA region) about the suspicious behavior of some new players. Frankly saying, we're talking about mass bot usage suspicion. Most of those reports do not contain any details or enough of the evidence, so I would like to make a short instruction about how you can report a bot character, so we can ban his account.

First of all, I'd like to draw the line of what is considered to be a bot and what is not.
If you see a character, that repeatedly makes ONE simple action (performing, digging, swinging his weapon etc) - that is NOT a bot. As I've stated earlier, we're ok when players automate their single click or button press actions and go AFK.
If you see a character, that repeatedly makes TWO or MORE actions (for instance, swinging a sword, then eating some food) or moves in a repetitive pattern ignoring new obstacles on its way - that is most probably a bot and have to be reported.

[3:52 PM] Bobik: Please, make a short video that contains the following things that are REQUIRED:
1. Two or more repetitive actions as described above.
2. Nickname of a character
3. Make sure that server region and node number in your footage are not obstructed by anything

Please, upload a video to Youtube or any other video hosting service and drop a link with a few words of details and text on our email address:
whackabot@lifeisfeudal.com
We will review the video, gather more evidence in logs if it will be necessary and will ban that account if there will be sufficient evidence.

There are few of us and thousands of you. We all care about our game, so we ask you to help all of us to fight this menace. Thank you for your help and support!
Go whack those bots @everyone ! :LiF:

P.S. But make sure that you do not overdo this witchhunt. Some players do not speak English and not familiar with the game too much. Their behavior can look like a bot behavior, while there is a genuine live person behind this character. Always keep it in mind before reporting someone.(edited)

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Its a witch hunt now...
:argh:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
participation is a bit in the doldrums i blame werkwerk

also we have free pvp with wartargets in expensive poo poo rolling up on our doorsteps every evening all we need is a the naked crossbow squad to ride again like its eve online 2006 looting their higher tier gear because 5 dudes with basic crossbows can basically instagib anyone not wearing plate

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Also working on a recruiting thing because this is type of stupid game that causes insane rages even if you cant fully kick over sandcastles yet

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Come shoot some pretentious dickheads that are "grr goons"

Make a khoor, get at least 35 slinger and come get a crossbow with a few bolts and we'll send you on your way to murder people.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
Something that really needs to be emphasized is that you can be combat effective immediately.

1. make the aforementioned khoor character, 55 slinger ideally.
2. come to goondor (this is the hardest part, it can be a long walk)
3. get a crossbow, run around in woods, own self-righteous pricks.

Congratulations, you're a protector of the wasteland.

Then when you get some downtime you can make your character awesome with:

4. afk grind your slinger to 60 and then archery to 60 and you can use the most powerful ranged weapons in the game.
5. afk grind your piety with a script so you can murder neutrals without it taking forever to regain alignment

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
30 slinger is all it takes to get a light crossbow and start ownzoning dudes but 55 makes you 5 points from 60 slinger which lets you take archer higher skill

ok that reads like im retarded

If you start with 30+ slinger you have the next tier (archer) unlocked which gives you access to light crossbows. They are very effective weapons and very cheap.
If you want to take archer above 29.99 you have to get slinger to 60, which is why we mostly recommend khoor with 55 slinger

FruitNYogurtParfait fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 10, 2018

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
you literally cannot go wrong with starting off with 55 slinging and maxxing out archery, they're the king in small/medium gang fights and you can't have too many in large fights either.

you're pvp capable on day 1, just run on down to the goon base, plop down a lovely hut so you can respawn from it, and then kill mans

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
We have big houses! No huts needed

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

We have big houses! No huts needed

back in my day we had to build our own log huts that needed to be rebuilt every 2 days because someone decided on changing the layout of the castle

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

back in my day we had to build our own log huts that needed to be rebuilt every 2 days because someone decided on changing the layout of the castle

Luckily i'm in charge of that now so we have stairs and a concrete plan.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
so many stairs planned

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Trying to deal with other guilds externally is cancer in this game. They're a pretty even mixture of role players and CS:GO rejects with Final Fantasy names. :wooper:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Kimsemus posted:

this game is cancer.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Kimsemus posted:

Trying to deal with other people externally is cancer

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
trying is cancer

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

lol just lol if you don't remember the Great Burning Beach where dying in a siege only meant you get to die more, and worse

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

FormerFatty posted:

trying is cancer

oh no go away please

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
if you're thinking about buying this game, read this post

forge posted:

After some discussion..

P2W was picked to appease the masses as the evil hackers. Even though admittedly only 2 people I know from P2W ever used a "hack" of the 15 or so which were in the guild. Foozy was banned from the assumption he was cheating and guild creator. I was banned because I was the now current Count of P2W. They didn't know that my account "leader of p2w" was me "forge" and I was one and the same. This is why me and foozy got banned and Simon, I have no idea. Simon now also unbanned, with no proof, and never affiliated with P2W. There was discussion about the fact that "Goons" got a claim on the enemy territory RIGHT after guilds were deleted. So far no one can give me any proof this occurred as goons, this is when it dawned on me. The claim they are talking about is actually the P2W claim on Hyperion. Also the only one left after the guilds got deleted. They see this claim on the only patch of trees around and assume we placed it and why P2W was targeted. Though none of this could be further from what actually happened, our P2W claim was there for at least 3 weeks. Which leads us to the following..

TLDR: P2W ate so many tickets and complaints from all of the Hyperion island guilds, and Everstorm and Co. It was assumed that since we were taking on 10+ dudes with 2-3 that we somehow were cheating. Me and Blazing were taking on 10 dudes most of the time, and when Delamore got into the mix we were fighting up to 20 with guerrilla tactics and getting kills. So we were literally too good at the game.
dont buy this game until its confirmed the devs stopped being idiots. (they wont) also dont join the goon guild (ye olde detroit) in the op because it's led by once mediocre-bad and now afk leadership that 10-12 of us tried to prop up and talk into handing over the keys to active players, but never happened. having the gm be offline means ingame important poo poo like war mechanics cant be done and etc. i could go into more details about why ye olde's gm sucks but really, just imagine any previous goon guild gm of any previous mmo and you get the idea.

dont let another goon repeat the mistakes we did, friends

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 11, 2018

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
While the game certainly has issues it is still a very fun game. Come play with us and make up your own mind.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

For once I agree with Blazing

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Jaroslav posted:

While the game certainly has issues it is still a very fun game. Come play with us and make up your own mind.

do this when its free on steam or anything less than 30 because chances are good you will have buyers remorse instantly

VulgarandStupid posted:

For once I agree with Blazing

i dont know who you are but all your posts suck and i dont need your co-signature, bitch

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Blazing Zero posted:

i dont know who you are but all your posts suck and i dont need your co-signature, bitch

Same

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I think it's a fun game, with developers very not ready for MMO shenanigans.

Like the devs frustrate me, and some of the decisions they make frustrate me, but when I plow my pollaxe into a man's horse and send him flying into the earth to be mulched into fertilizer by naked goons with shovels

I feel like that makes up for it.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
alternatively, do play it

also that's weedbaby bz

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
The reasoning in forge's quote there is in fact a reason TO play, the devs dont have loving control of their own game. If you're a good con man you can convince them you didn't do poo poo in fact the guy you were loving with was cheating.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
It's usually around 4am my time when I get off the game and go to bed but I'll try a little harder to be on even later if you come back.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011
Been thinking about giving this game a go. Does Goondor need another healer/ alchemist?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Pugzilla posted:

Been thinking about giving this game a go. Does Goondor need another healer/ alchemist?

The answer for every job is always yes. Do the thing you enjoy doing. As for combat there is definitely a meta (interestingly depending on the type of terrain you live/fight in), but for crafting there is always an amount of work to do for every type of job.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

The reasoning in forge's quote there is in fact a reason TO play, the devs dont have loving control of their own game. If you're a good con man you can convince them you didn't do poo poo in fact the guy you were loving with was cheating.

that's one way of seeing it, but imo that's the same situation with player run mmo servers. the difference is that those are free.

Pugzilla posted:

healers are always welcomed, alchemy is pretty good but herbalism is always in demand. tailors are awesome, farming is extremely tedious but is always needed. basically do whichever profession you like because it will be important

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

that's one way of seeing it, but imo that's the same situation with player run mmo servers. the difference is that those are free.

It's basically EXACTLY like how :ccp: was when EVE first came out. See also: Sandbox Interactive, Turbine, NCSoft, Bioware (lol), etc

TBH it's like every MMO company except Blizzard, maybe.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

healers are always welcomed, alchemy is pretty good but herbalism is always in demand. tailors are awesome, farming is extremely tedious but is always needed. basically do whichever profession you like because it will be important

Sounds good. I joined on Discord as Agrippa (named after a sort-of-famous scholar, soldier, author and magician.) Tonight I'll buy the game and work my way to Goondor. What server is Goondor on? Any advice on how to get started other than don't get killed on the way to the castle? Also interested in macros. I'm a huge fan of automation.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Pugzilla posted:

Sounds good. I joined on Discord as Agrippa (named after a sort-of-famous scholar, soldier, author and magician.) Tonight I'll buy the game and work my way to Goondor. What server is Goondor on? Any advice on how to get started other than don't get killed on the way to the castle? Also interested in macros. I'm a huge fan of automation.

Hop on the Discord, all the info is in the channels there. :wooper:

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
A note on always needs herbalists, we can make the work a little easier on them if some of our afk collecting was herbs or if you're bored and just want to spend 10 or 20 minutes getting herbs, you can hand them off to an actual herbalist so you don't need to actually level the skill. Collecting is the most time consuming process for them.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Blazing Zero posted:

eve was NOT free and had/has poo poo for logs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

eve was NOT free and had/has poo poo for logs

eve is one of the rare exceptions to the rules of mmos. if i started believing that every mmo with bad devs would turn out like eve, id be just as dumb as alex delarge

• Locked thread