Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rejdukien
Jul 24, 2008
Come be a footman and get stoned by slingers all day erry day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Been playing a bit. This is what Darkfall should have been. I'm hyped. How many are you guys right now? Guessing mostly americans playing so far? I'm still just learning the basics but I'll prolly join up soon.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Last I checked we had 51 goons in the guild, and yes most of us are on NA. We're growing pretty steadily and are pretty much the seat of power in the northwest with many vassals and wargoons. We've brought most everyone in the area into out kingdom because who can really say no when like 30 goons decked out in tabards, battle axes, crossbows, and claymores descend from the highlands from every direction to make new friends?

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

Last I checked we had 51 goons in the guild, and yes most of us are on NA. We're growing pretty steadily and are pretty much the seat of power in the northwest with many vassals and wargoons. We've brought most everyone in the area into out kingdom because who can really say no when like 30 goons decked out in tabards, battle axes, crossbows, and claymores descend from the highlands from every direction to make new friends?

drat you got crossbows already? Here I am slumming it with training weapons. I gotta make my way up north. I've ended up way down south.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Gyaru posted:

drat you got crossbows already? Here I am slumming it with training weapons. I gotta make my way up north. I've ended up way down south.

Many of us are in mail with steel weapons and a penchant for murder

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Get on up here brotha, and get your rear end training on the targets/dummies.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Bought it last night because I always wanted a good version of Wurm.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

dkj posted:

Bought it last night because I always wanted a good version of Wurm.

Same reason as me. Will start moving up and join everyone soon!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I came from a Wurm background as well, and I can say that this game is probably the definitive medieval sandbox MMO game right now. It really feels like Mount and Blade with crafting and social/diplomacy aspects in a continent even larger than Wurm with graphics that are on par with Skyrim.

Plus, it let us make some sort of strange American flag heraldry which displays on shields and tabards for maximum goon morale boost.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 27, 2017

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

In as Stupid Name. Trying to figure out what to do. Foraging for "something edible" on infinite while I write this.

This game sure hates color.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dkj posted:

In as Stupid Name. Trying to figure out what to do. Foraging for "something edible" on infinite while I write this.

Join us

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

dkj posted:

Don't try to play solo. Head straight to us.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

On my way, I think.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Tonight/tomorrow they are patching to dramatically increase the rate at which you gain combat skills.

Join us now, friends. We had our first war declared against us today, and we literally don't have enough people to carry back the loot and severed heads. :getin:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
oh god, another :10bux: :20bux: lit on fire to chase the dragon. here we go :homebrew:

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

oh god, another :10bux: :20bux: lit on fire to chase the dragon. here we go :homebrew:

You joined cus I joined admit it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i joined because apparently it wont suck to level fighting now but also to play video games with you

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
For anyone new or thinking about getting the game:

When creating your first character it's best to dump all of your skills into 55 Artisan, 55 Slinger and all of your stats into Willpower.

Both Artisan and Slinger are the slowest starting skills available and are both invaluable for early game stuff while willpower is just a hard stat to get and will allow you to both carry more and do more stuff before getting tired.

The other starting skills available are orders of magnitude faster to level until invalidated by a soon-to-be patch that is supposedly raising combat gains.

If you don't plan to go deep into the ranged tree you should still at least get 30 Slinger which allows you to use crossbows for raiding.

HTH

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
What about if you want to dig Vietcong tunnels under the entire map?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

7c Nickel posted:

see you in 14 months

forge
Feb 26, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

You want to mine friend.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

I started digging a tunnel under the mountain, you can join me in my quest if you want. Need to get digging up so I can make supports but it's a pain in the rear end if you're mindful of where you dump the dirt/stone.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Simon Numbers posted:

I started digging a tunnel under the mountain, you can join me in my quest if you want. Need to get digging up so I can make supports but it's a pain in the rear end if you're mindful of where you dump the dirt/stone.

Be careful, it is very possible to get trapped if the tunnel caves in.

Also, apparently they are upping combat skillgain, since it's supposedly way lower than its supposed to be. We now have horses as well, but they're for breeding and critical travel (like to the market, or to get key items from allies) only. Once we get a training field and a steady supply of foals we can train warhorses and stuff em in storage.

Once combat skills increase we can start getting serious skills- heavier armor, heavier crossbows, the works. We'll be the dominant force in the region by far.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
How much are you allowed to do without having the required 'skills'? For example, the last time I remember playing Wurm, it was when Rolf was doing a test server of a sort before releasing Wurm Unlimited on Steam, with Delamore and some others. Having five days off at that time, I remember doing nothing but building stone walls that were placed beforehand and raising the quality of existing walls/archer towers for those five days, essentially going from base masonry to 80+ in that time period.

Is it possible to do something similar in LiF? That is, without having Architecture for example, are others allowed to 'help' construct castle walls once the building plan for it has been set up? Given how I might get randomly pulled off to somewhere out in the bush without internet for days with little warning, I was thinking of just going casual and do farming/cooking if I was to join in, but it'd be nice if anyone is able to perform the 'manual labour' part of tasks like that if needed.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
So if I buy Life is Feudal on steam for $20 , do I get the MMO game as well?

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.

Logic posted:

The Lif:YO game? That was the case up until a certain point, but not anymore I don't think.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Logic posted:

Not anymore. Only before 19NOV. Now just buy the MMO, it is good and fun

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Karistar posted:

How much are you allowed to do without having the required 'skills'? For example, the last time I remember playing Wurm, it was when Rolf was doing a test server of a sort before releasing Wurm Unlimited on Steam, with Delamore and some others. Having five days off at that time, I remember doing nothing but building stone walls that were placed beforehand and raising the quality of existing walls/archer towers for those five days, essentially going from base masonry to 80+ in that time period.

Is it possible to do something similar in LiF? That is, without having Architecture for example, are others allowed to 'help' construct castle walls once the building plan for it has been set up? Given how I might get randomly pulled off to somewhere out in the bush without internet for days with little warning, I was thinking of just going casual and do farming/cooking if I was to join in, but it'd be nice if anyone is able to perform the 'manual labour' part of tasks like that if needed.

I've been doing general labor jobs the past few days, and there is plenty of work to be done at low skill. You won't level your skills too fast doing most of them, but they will be helpful. Currently manual labor involves: Moving dirt from one place to another, cutting down trees, hauling trees to base, cutting up logs, and punching the ground until you have rope. We're also going to be feeding stone to power level our mason soon.

There's also fishing, which as an exception is very easy to level, can be done largely alt-tabbed, and looks like it will always be useful.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So you guys are at war with a T2+ guild, right? Can you confirm how guild war works yet?

- Enemy is T1 you can grief the entire claim of anyone you're at war with?
- Enemy is T2+ you can only grief the realm plot?
- Are there only certain times of day you can grief their realm plot?
- If you win enough instanced battles you can knock their monument level down to T1??
- Are there only certain times of day you can place battle totems?

EDIT: Also today's patch is the best ever-

- Increased combat xp rate
- Increased animal lore xp rate
- Brought back animal lore xp on failed tames
- Increased fish cooking outputs

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 28, 2017

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
I'll join in if we promise no fishing pacts.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We can kill them with impunity but cannot damage or steal anything. We need someone with high enough warfare engineering to craft a siege totem which we then plop on their claim to declare a siege instance battle, which if we win, lets us trash and steal poo poo. At least that's my understanding. Right now they're just a punching bag we use to relieve stress but they are getting wise and creating actual defenses. The assholes actually forced us to have to TRY to get in, instead of just letting us stroll up and kill them!

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 28, 2017

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

We can kill them with impunity but cannot damage or steal anything. We need someone with high enough warfare engineering to craft a siege totem which we then plop on their claim to declare a siege instance battle, which if we win, lets us trash and steal poo poo. At least that's my understanding.

weren't you guys busting up people who carry dirt's monument with torches?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

No, that was probably just lost in translation somewhere unless something happened last night. I think we misunderstood how war worked back then anyway.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Is a siege totem a real thing, and if so, how does the price compare to a battle totem. Also CAN you grief their realm without a siege?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So it takes food to live, and you can kill them without taking any penalty. So basically we declare war on them and then pillage them by deaths. If they can't make food or harvest it's game over. You can also burn houses currently and send them back to random respawns.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
In retrospect, this is definitely a game where having numbers rules. There is also body blocking so other players can block with their shields and bodies preventing others from moving. It's like a goon dream come true. If we had Eve numbers in this game, we would be loving unstoppable via sheer number.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

forge posted:

So it takes food to live, and you can kill them without taking any penalty. So basically we declare war on them and then pillage them by deaths. If they can't make food or harvest it's game over. You can also burn houses currently and send them back to random respawns.

Can you destroy houses because their realm is griefable or because houses have some special property that makes them always damageable?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Holy poo poo CanVox just rejoin the Guild already.

We don't know 80% of what you're asking, we're learning as we go.

Otherwise the official LiF discord is your best bet for answers.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Is this a thread I'm not allowed to post in unless I'm in your guild? Sorry, didn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Rynoto posted:

For anyone new or thinking about getting the game:

When creating your first character it's best to dump all of your skills into 55 Artisan, 55 Slinger and all of your stats into Willpower.

Both Artisan and Slinger are the slowest starting skills available and are both invaluable for early game stuff while willpower is just a hard stat to get and will allow you to both carry more and do more stuff before getting tired.

The other starting skills available are orders of magnitude faster to level until invalidated by a soon-to-be patch that is supposedly raising combat gains.

If you don't plan to go deep into the ranged tree you should still at least get 30 Slinger which allows you to use crossbows for raiding.

HTH

When I make characters it doesn't allow me to go under 30 in cavalry. The max that's available for slinger is 25.

• Locked thread