Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's the best car :swoon:

I'd love to take it to Mazda meets, open the hood and see how many people catch on and go :stare:

While not the biggest Mazda nerd, I've owned a '97 323P and know something about them. I'm not sure I would catch this on the first couple of passes. Then you start counting spark plugs... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

God drat, what a beaut :swoon:

I'm more used to those cars being turboed, tbh :sun:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So very minty-looking. And the stickers! A goon after my own heart.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I bet you could get the people in charge of Mazda USA's basement in Irvine to sneak that thing in there next time they host a journalist tour. Just to mess with everyone.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
During reassembly, I also cleaned and applied rubberized undercoating to the wheel wells. Luckily, I had no rust, and wanted to keep it that way.

(reminder that this thread still is nearly 2 years behind in time)

After the reassembly and paint, I decided I should enter the local Japanese car show (pre-covid times). I also figured it would be fun to troll everyone and pretend it was nearly stock.

I made up fake window dealer sheets and taped them to the windows:

I listened in to peoples conversations without making it clear the car was mine. Lots of attention, most people commented to their friends about it being clean, or that they used to have one, etc. All told, only two groups actually realized what was up. A few people were suspicious, but upon reading the dealer sheet, exclaimed that it must have been a rare option.

I also got a letter from the local Mazda dealer, letting me know there was an ignition switch recall outstanding. I booked in the car, and didn't tell them anything else. They were also fooled/surprized.

Around this time, I ended up buying a house. Progress on the car has been much slower since, but I will end up with a nice garage for all the cars. It also spawned a side project involving a free lawn mower.

A Massey Ferguson MF85 from the 70's. Its... solid.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol that's fabulous, the dealer part is the best.

"Rare option" on a 90's econobox like it was a 70's muscle car :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
More Masseys in AI is a good thing.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

My package from Aliexpress finally arrived:

This will look good in the new garage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sgt Fox posted:

My package from Aliexpress finally arrived:

This will look good in the new garage.

I’m going to need a link to that item on AX, please thanks.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32990570925.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cool, thanks! Added to my wish list. Now to see if someone has an Oldsmobile one, to represent my other automotive fetish.

edit: Oh, excellent, someone does!: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.27413c2eQgtfTZ&catId=39&SearchText=oldsmobile

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Haha, its probably the same seller. They seem to have tons of different car logos, I just wish they were a bit cheaper (though don't get me wrong, it was really well made and packaged immensely well).

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1188201/search?SearchText=sinclair
I'm tempted by the Sinclair Dino gas signs...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, not exactly cheap, but it *is* an actual custom neon sign.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

So, I've been slow updating this thread, but its because just as I was wrapping up the 323 project, I decided to buy a house. For the last couple years, I've been working on renovating the interior of the house, but now, its finally time to get the shop sorted.

House on the first day:

The garage is roughly 33'x25' with a 12' ceiling.

Its been fire taped, but no further finishing was done. Garage doors are 10' high, and pretty dirty.

Garage photo from the real estate listing (not my jeep):

So, I should have a fair bit of room to work with. Plan is to have a four and two post lift, and lots of room to work.

After years of using a smaller air compressor, I decided I wanted to get something bigger. I also decided I didn't want to half rear end it.

Enter this beast:
CE7000
Specifications:
Tank style: vertical
Tank capacity: 80 gallons
Compressor horsepower: 7.5
Max psi: 175
Compressor scfm@40psi: 25.90
Compressor scfm@90psi: 25.00
Compressor cfm@max psi: 24.50
Compressor voltage: 208-230
Compressor amps: 31
Compressor phase: 1
Pump type: two stage
Lubrication: oil lube
Special features: metal belt guard
Compressor duty cycle: 80/20
Noise level: 87 dBA at 3'
Weight: 585 lbs

Using a HD price match to a local tool store sale, I ended up saving $500 off the local tool store price, and nearly $3k off the home depot list price.

It's... large. It was heavy. The motor alone is huge, and the casting on the compressor pump is massive. As far as I can tell, its the largest single phase compressor you can get.

I didn't want to have it taking up valuable garage space, nor did I want to have to hear it. Thus, I started making a new pad for it out back:

I'm committed now. Ain't no board like overboard...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sgt Fox posted:

I'm committed now. Ain't no board like overboard...

:yeshaha:

I like where this is going.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better. Looking forward to the shop set up, my eventual garage is going to be around the same size.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

garage and house look awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Outstanding update. I think Sockington did a similar setup for his giant compressor as well.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Ah yes, sockington, the patron saint of rusty BGs. I don't think he's found his way in here yet, probably not enough rust, or jorts.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Best get them daisy dukes on then fox

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its like looking at a BG version of my BF adventures, fancy dome light and all.

I did a Capri XR-2 B6T swap into my BF 323 Wagon and with enough work have been able to have the legally smog in California (never doone according to Club Protege), and have been away from AI enough to not even remember your KL BG!.

I've been up-fitting it with parts from high trim 323s (like my GTXs) and the Hermosillo assembled BF based Mercury Tracers. I was able to put in the fancy dome light with map lights, and fit the rear hatch cargo light, which the US BF wagons come prewired for. You just have to attach the switch to the latch, cut the headliner (that was terrifying as they're wildly rare), and plug in the lamp. Cargo straps too, in the right one year only light blue.

I even saved the VECI and other labels from the Capri, funny that.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Elmnt80 posted:

Best get them daisy dukes on then fox

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Lawn tractor update to keep this out of archives.

As a housewarming gift, my coworker gifted me this old massy:

Being 50 years old, its certainly seen better days. However, since its 50 years old, its built on an actual solid frame.

It came with a 7.5hp Briggs, but I also was given a 10hp spare.

Brake was more than gone. Luckily it uses a pad common to some deeres

Gearbox and rear axle removed. Peerless model 802d

Looked pretty good inside actually.

Cleaned up and back together

I decided I wanted to keep the patina. Rust converter and a semi gloss clear to protect it.

Had to weld a new hinge in for the cowl.

Mounted up new tires, got some grease caps from a Husqvarna

New tractor headlights

Swapped in the 10hp. Had to cut a larger keyway slot in the crank. Used a angle grinder and a steady hand... Its a lawnmower.

Rebuilt the carb

Motor back in, new grip tape on the foot deck

Got drunk, dug out the welder

Rebuilt the mower deck... Its beefy. New timing belt, new blades etc

Tested out the headlights

All back together, complete with a mini glass pack and a tractor flap on the exhaust

The trunk under the seat even holds a six pack.

Its been a great tractor, and since then ive built a chainlink drag harrow for the driveway, and picked up a seeder, dethatcher and a aerator from clearance sales at princess auto.

My coworker also gave me a completely overbuilt dump trailer, which I also rebuilt. Its made from 1/4" plate.

Sgt Fox fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 11, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Haha the exhaust rules.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh yeah, patina and exhaust rocks.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:allears: amazing work

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That little dump trailer must be heavy lol.

Nice tractor, love it.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

The trailer is stupidly heavy. It must have been someone's side project at their work, as SC YARD is welded into it. The axle is cut down from a road trailer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Love the tractor - awesome

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sgt Fox posted:

The trailer is stupidly heavy. It must have been someone's side project at their work, as SC YARD is welded into it. The axle is cut down from a road trailer.

For when you need to move a load of neutronium from one end of the garden to the other

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Some compressor shed updates.

(Note that I took some weird choices in framing, particularly due to how I was planning to finish the inside, and how I wanted to maximize the width between the garage windows)

Once the pad had fully dried (no, I totally didn't put it off from last October....) I sold my left kidney and bought lumber. I decided to frame the shed with 2x4s, allowing me enough space to insulate the walls for noise. I also decided to skip the fourth wall, instead lag bolting the structure into the existing house wall. For the bottom sill, I used pressure treated, because, why not.

It went up quickly, in an afternoon.

The next day, I roughed up the roof, even went fancy and bird's mouthed the rafters.

The next weekend I bought shingles, decided I hated them, returned them, hated those as well and finally picked up some which matched the existing house a bit better. Drip edge, flashing tucked under the house's hardiplank finished it off. The shingles look a bit wavy, but they flattened out.

Cut down an old door frame and put in an old steel door from the Re-Store. gently caress doors are spensive. You may wonder why the sheathing is on the inside. Well, I am cheap. Have you seen the price of plywood? I wanted the inside walls clad in plywood for mounting things, and didn't see the point in sheathing both sides. The outside will use free cedar siding from a friend, so it will be fiiine.

This is shaping up to be a bougie compressor shed...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bit prettier than mine.
I put mine on the stoop for a side door to the garage, and I really should have spent more time re-leveling and compacting the stoop. The whole dammed thing is leaning away from the house a few degrees, now. I either have to disassemble it all, prybar the stoop out, pack the spot with pavers sand, then put the stoop back, pour a new stoop, or jack up the existing one and pour footers at the corners.

What are you going to do for ventilation? I know from experience compressed air gets *hot*.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I see you've got hinges on the outside so I humbly suggest hinge lock pins, like this https://www.amazon.com/Door-Hinge-Security-Screws-3-Pack/dp/B01DG0TZ1A, so nefarious people can't just pop the door open if they want to know about the shed treasures (if that's the sort of thing you need to be worried about where you live).

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Heat may be a concern, I'm not sure yet. The compressor will only take 1/4 of the airspace inside the shed. The soffit will be vented, and I have a ~10"x10" square vent for the wall. Hopefully convection will pull air through. If not, I am wiring the shed for power and could put in a motorized roof vent.

The "soil" under the pad is pretty much 90% blast rock and fractured fine chunks, so we shall see how it holds up.

As for security hinges, hopefully not necessary where I am, but they were actually what I had laying around to use. Good call.

Sgt Fox fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 25, 2021

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Well, I have been really lazy about updating this. Lets get caught up a little.

We left off with the rough framing done.

I built a base for the compressor, as I plan on using auto drains. Hindsight, I probably should have poured this into the concrete.

The inside was then painted in semigloss white, so I could clean it, and it wouldn't be so dark. Next, the compressor was taken apart.

There was no way I could move it assembled. It was reasonably easy with one other person to move the tank into place.

All back together!

A friend was residing his house, and gave me the old cedar siding. I reused it on the shed, after insulating the walls for sound.

Not quite the right match, but its around back, you'll never really see it. Paint helped tie it in. Gutter was added afterwards too. Notice the exhaust grate near the roofline.

On the other side, I mounted an old furnace blower. This thing moves a ton of air, it makes it very hard to open the doors while it is running, as they are pulled against their latches. You can have the rx7 running in the garage and not smell it. Wiring is temporary in that picture, its now in liquid-tite conduit etc.

Next... way too much 3/4" copper pipe!

Sgt Fox fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 16, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looks great!

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Life got a bit busy and subsequently I've forgotten about this thread. Lets try to get caught up! Its been amazing to set up a garage from scratch, exactly the way I want it.

When we left off, I had just moved the air compressor into the shed. Next up, power!

Pre covid I had picked up a 60A subpanel and some breakers. I wanted power in the shed, as well as the option to run an air dryer in the future, so this seemed like the best solution. I could also use aluminum NMD to keep costs down.

40A breaker for the compressor and a 15A single for shed lights and a couple duplex outlets.

I also wanted to have some automation on the compressor. I did not want to forget and leave the compressor on while i was away or sleeping. Nothing is worse than being woken up in the middle of the night by a compressor. I also wanted remote control, an hour meter for service intervals and automatic moisture drains.

Lets get started. I had an old electrical enclosure I could repurpose and a disconnect switch as well.

The first, temporary iteration while I waited on more components. 5A DIN mount breakers for the 240V control circuit, a 10HP contactor, hourmeter, control switch and indicator.

The time delay relay as well as the garage wiring will come later.

While I wait for parts, lets work on our moisture removal. I have had decent luck with these large desiccant tubes in the past. Due to the CFM of the compressor (25 scfm@90psi) I had to use two in parallel. In order for the desiccant tubes to be most effective, the manufacturer recommends 25 feet of air line between the compressor and tube to allow the air to cool.

Time to get soldering.

To join the 3/4" copper to the compressor, I used a 1" push to connect hose. This should hopefully keep vibrations out of the copper.

Next, moisture drains. I planned to use three auto drain valves, on timers, powered when the compressor has power. One for the compressor tank, one for the dessicant tubes (as they are in parallel) and then one for the cooling snake. Since the legs of the snakes are not in parallel, to not have to use an additional valve, I used a one way valve on one of the legs.

The valve outputs are all teed and then sent outside the shed.

The air drains wired up and the time delay relay added. Control wiring to the garage will be added later, as well as some wire cleanup.

Next up... cleaning this mess up. Oh god.

The drywall was very rough, just a basic, unsanded mud job, lots of nail pops, no real finishing. The garage was uninsulated, and I wanted to add a few things like welding outlets etc, so I decided to pull down the old boards. In order to reuse them, I used a magnet to find the nails and a hollow punch to cut out around them.

Of course, due to blocking, I ended up having to drop the next sheet as well to get the insulation in. I also found a wonderful surprise, all the offcuts from the drywall had been stuffed in the studs.

Drywall started going back on.

You can see the flex conduit sticking out for the compressor control in that last photo.

Next was days and days of mudding, taping, sanding. Thankfully I could borrow some scaffolding.

These pictures really don't do the scale justice. Each wall is 12 feet tall and the garage is 25x36 feet.

Finally though, it was time to paint.

Sprayed on, then backrolled. Saved a lot of time but it still took forever. Went with a semigloss with the idea that it would be easier to clean and would reflect light. Ended up using 60L of paint.

Next up, fancy paint, shelving and trim!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That's some serious garage progress and nearly enough outlets.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LED pucks that can be hung and have a cord?

Got a link for those, or did you fabricobble them out of regular pucks? If those are commercially available, I'm ready. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

They were 150W LED high bay lights from AliExpress. The store doesn't seem to have any for sale anymore, but they were advertised as 220V units, but messaging the seller they offered to make some 120V units for me.

SJLA Official Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLkXGbE

I've got four of them in the garage, they do pull 5-6A total, 72000 lumens. They provided nice light, but I did also go nuts and add a ton more to eliminate shadows when a car is blocking them on the hoist.