Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Like this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh, a normal hatch spoiler. I bet we can find that. I kinda like how it looks without one, though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah but you have bizarre fetishes in cars, Switch.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Mazda 323 BG hatchback is best hatchback. It's really good with a 130hp BP, but I guess a V6 is going to make it even happier.

Our racecar:

(Since that race though, it has a very bent hood and missing the left side headlight and the grille)

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

That race BG looks pretty sweet. I'm not sure what this car will be like to drive, I worry it might just torque steer everywhere.

On a side note, visited a local junkyard today looking for a bracket and the spark plug wire clips which were broken on the klze. Guy behind the counter basically told me that they weren't interested in looking if they even had anything, even after I asked him about specific parts they had listed on car-part.com. That is now the second yard that has told me to gently caress off when I told them what I was putting in and what I was looking for.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sgt Fox posted:

On a side note, visited a local junkyard today looking for a bracket and the spark plug wire clips which were broken on the klze. Guy behind the counter basically told me that they weren't interested in looking if they even had anything, even after I asked him about specific parts they had listed on car-part.com. That is now the second yard that has told me to gently caress off when I told them what I was putting in and what I was looking for.

I have never gotten anything but an angry reply back from a car-part phone call. I don't know if I just don't seem like the right kind of person on the phone, or what.

By spark plug wire clips, do you mean wire separators? Use zipties.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah, the little plastic separators to hold the wires. I am anal, I want this to look as factory as possible. It's the engineer part of me.

I woke up last night in a cold sweat, because I realized I have no provisions for a coolant overflow tank. The rad cap on the engine has no overflow nipple and the radiator I was hoping to squish in the front bumper also has no provisions.

I was looking around RockAuto and I found this thing for repairing cracked nipples. I wonder if it would work drilling a hole and using it.

I worry about drilling the stock KLZE metal. I wonder if there is enough oring to seal it correctly, especially on the round surface.

The other option I found was this inline one for a Dodge Durango:

The stock rad cap for a durdge is 18lbs. The stock Mazda cap is 13lbs. I would need to find a lower pressure cap which would fit the larger cap size.

I could also try jamming a MX-3 radiator into the car, but clearance will be tight. The Neon radiator would have fit perfectly in between the existing front end.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Doesn't the Probe use some kind of inline "upper" tank like a turbo Subaru does, except it has its own overflow nipple? I didn't think it puked solely off the main rad cap, because the rad was so low. Would it work with the heater core return hose?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 13, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You're living my dream man, I can't believe there are clean BG 323's up in Canada, I've given up in Florida a long time ago. My last 323 was so destroyed by the sun it was a waste case. They were disposable cars and are almost impossible to find here now, sad but true.

It seems like 323s were WAY more prevalent everywhere else but the US, Europe and Canada got them all apparently :(

God speed man, I will be living vicariously through you.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

This is a cool interesting swap. It's gonna be freakin sweet.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Sgt Fox posted:

Yeah, the little plastic separators to hold the wires. I am anal, I want this to look as factory as possible. It's the engineer part of me.

What kind of sick engineer argues form over function?

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Doesn't the Probe use some kind of inline "upper" tank like a turbo Subaru does, except it has its own overflow nipple? I didn't think it puked solely off the main rad cap, because the rad was so low. Would it work with the heater core return hose?

Take a look at the MX-3 one here:

It has a separate fitting and a little tank for it.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

What kind of sick engineer argues form over function?

An engineer with OCD who wants everything to be just... so. :)

I really can't wait to get caught up posting the progress. You guys are in for some "what the hell is wrong with him" moments.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I thought the little spark plug wire clips served the very important function of keeping the wires far enough apart that they don't arc to one another.

So I guess you can do it with zip ties but you gotta finagle them to hold the wires far enough apart. Right?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Leperflesh posted:

I thought the little spark plug wire clips served the very important function of keeping the wires far enough apart that they don't arc to one another.

So I guess you can do it with zip ties but you gotta finagle them to hold the wires far enough apart. Right?

Wires laid flat along side each other. One zip tie around all the wires. A zip tie between each wire wrapped around the large one. There are videos all over of guys doing it. If you take your time and use matching ties, it can actually turn out looking pretty sharp.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wires laid flat along side each other. One zip tie around all the wires. A zip tie between each wire wrapped around the large one. There are videos all over of guys doing it. If you take your time and use matching ties, it can actually turn out looking pretty sharp.

Until some cable-spec-autist comes in and starts :goonsay: about bend radii.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

God damnit.

I forgot to pull the passenger side motor mount sheet metal bracket. I thought it was the same as the 323's but it is not. The motor will be sideways if I don't get the right bracket.

I didn't even notice the thing was removable.

Mazda part# EA03-53-37XE, which is listed as discontinued.

God damnit, now what am I going to do? Needs to be the mount bracket off of a 1.8L V6 MX-3.

Sgt Fox fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 15, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you call the junkyard you took it to? Maybe they didn't shred it yet?

[e] if you haven't already, you might want to join club protege, it's a great resource for parts, I'm willing to bet you would find someone that could get you that bracket.

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 15, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BloodBag posted:

Until some cable-spec-autist comes in and starts :goonsay: about bend radii.

Bend radius doesn't figure into it. The cables are left flat.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Sadly the MX3 was crushed back in October. The scrap place does it right away when you drop it off.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

sharkytm posted:

Bend radius doesn't figure into it. The cables are left flat.

Trap sprung

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Did you call the junkyard you took it to? Maybe they didn't shred it yet?

This would be my first call. doh!

If that doesn't work out, this part doesn't look to be too difficult to fabricate. With the engine in the correct place, you could make up a new bracket from steel sheet.

It would be far easier to find one, though! Time to trawl the MX3 clubs and start calling breakers!

Edit: The MX3 was not-so-uncommon here in the UK, there are a few breaking on eBay right now, I'd guess the part is the same. Worst case, I'd be able to buy and ship you one, but you'll probably end up paying $50 in shipping. I'll message some eBay sellers....

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 15, 2017

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

I really appreciate your willingness to help, Pomp.

I called pretty much 80% of the junkyards in the province today. Luckily one came through for me and was willing to ship. I can relax now.

The V6 MX-3 are getting rare as hen's teeth.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep, disposable car syndrome. Even tho the V6 MX3 is a pretty cool car there wasn't enough interest in them to keep them alive so they are all slowly dying along with all the other BG cars. They were never meant to be like a Miata so they get recycled to make more Miatas.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

One might search "spark plug wire separator" on any number of internets commerce sites and find something a sight better than "zip ties."

edit: Seriously they are like 6 bux on Amazon, do it.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 16, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Commodore_64 posted:

One might search "spark plug wire separator" on any number of internets commerce sites and find something a sight better than "zip ties."

edit: Seriously they are like 6 bux on Amazon, do it.

He wants things to look factory, though. So I'd recommend paying $2 to get into the pick n pull, cruising down the aisles until you see something that strikes your fancy, and then putting it in your pocket.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I don't get why people are always bragging about stealing small things from pick n pull like it's not still stealing :confused:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Astonishing Wang posted:

I don't get why people are always bragging about stealing small things from pick n pull like it's not still stealing :confused:

I've tried to pay for bolts before (expensive bolts, too) and the clerks are just like "stop wasting my time."

Their core business is crushing and selling car slabs of varying purity to the Chinese, if anything stealing bolts off the car improves the quality yield. The parts sale is kind of a bonus.

IMO they should put one of those plastic guide dogs at the door so you can at least put a few bucks in to charity if you feel bad about it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 16, 2017

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

Raluek posted:

He wants things to look factory, though.

I got tired of searching so I just ordered the three clips from Mazda. With my RADL discount at Mazda, they worked out to like $2.50 each.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Astonishing Wang posted:

Whenever I show the little poo poo they just wave a hand and don't charge me for it anyway. :shrug: Guess YMMV though at different places. I can't say I've never pocketed stuff but I don't really bother anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

Apparently you haven't been to a pick n pull yard much?

Little poo poo like relays, fuses, nuts and bolts that you can fit in your pocket nobody cares about, but if you are hiding small parts in your tool box like a brake cylinder or something then yeah you're stealing.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
So you show it to the guy up front every time just to make sure they're okay with you taking it, right?

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've tried to pay for bolts before (expensive bolts, too) and the clerks are just like "stop wasting my time."

Larrymer posted:

Whenever I show the little poo poo they just wave a hand and don't charge me for it anyway. :shrug: Guess YMMV though at different places. I can't say I've never pocketed stuff but I don't really bother anymore.

Astonishing Wang posted:

So you show it to the guy up front every time just to make sure they're okay with you taking it, right?

Cmon guy, they don't care. What are you suggesting is "EXCUSE ME SIR I HAVE 4 BOLTS A RELAY AND 6 FUSES, WHAT ARE YOUR RATES?" every time you go in as an exasperated clerk rolls his eyes at the 'tism he's dealing with

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Cmon guy, they don't care. What are you suggesting is "EXCUSE ME SIR I HAVE 4 BOLTS A RELAY AND 6 FUSES, WHAT ARE YOUR RATES?" every time you go in as an exasperated clerk rolls his eyes at the 'tism he's dealing with

I've legit tried to pay for large parts (I don't rembember what exactly, but they would've cost under 100, maybe under 50) and I've had the clerk tell me to just take it because neither one of us have an idea what it'd be called in their system to look up a price and I was already getting other parts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

After the first I tried time no. When no one else at the boneyard cares why the hell should I?

If you think it's stealing whatever dude, think what you want I guess.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, isn't that why they charge you just to walk into the lot?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Yeah. If I take stuff, I show them my tool bag and get "move along sir".

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, isn't that why they charge you just to walk into the lot?
Charge? My local-ish place doesn't eve know you're there until you knock on the trailer door and tell them you want to pay for something.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The you-pull-it lots here are fully secured and charge you something like $2 just to get in, whether or not you buy anything on your way out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep same thing here. For all the times I've paid to get in and walked out with nothing I guess that covers all the little poo poo :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

boxen posted:

I've legit tried to pay for large parts (I don't rembember what exactly, but they would've cost under 100, maybe under 50) and I've had the clerk tell me to just take it because neither one of us have an idea what it'd be called in their system to look up a price and I was already getting other parts.

Then I've run into the super anal one who insists that the part I'm getting is a much more expensive part than it really is (insisting it's a MAF sensor when it's an evap pressure sensor.. how do you mix up a MAF and a glorified MAP sensor?), and won't let me say "if you really think it's a MAF, keep it, I'm leaving" without waving security over and trying to keep me from leaving until I threatened to call the cops. I have absolutely no remorse about pocketing small poo poo there after that.

Also the 20 questions about what specific parts you're looking for, so they can print a list of what fits and what cars will have it. I've already looked up the car inventory/locations of stuff I'm interested in online before I got there, every time, and I'm usually looking for parts for multiple cars. Just let me pay the admission fee and stop holding up the line. :argh: