Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a huge fan of the original series, and so far this is a fantastic adaption. Its a bit more earnest and "teen soap" then I would have expected, but all of the changes are, so far, for the better.

While I'm unsure about giving Nico a dead sister, I like the idea of the kids being childhood friends who then grew apart. That adds an extra (and needed) kick to everything. Gert as a budding SJW is a solid "2017 update" of the character, and Karolina's parents running Scientology is a wicked twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

PaybackJack posted:

The special effects have been good, with exception of Old Lace but it's a CGI dinosaur so you kinda just gotta go with that.

It's not actually CGI iirc, they went old-school with it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

fractalairduct posted:

It's not actually CGI iirc, they went old-school with it.

Could be a mix. For still shots there could be a prop, but when it ran away at the end of ep 3 it definitely looked like CGI and was 'popped out' of everything around it.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

PaybackJack posted:

Could be a mix. For still shots there could be a prop, but when it ran away at the end of ep 3 it definitely looked like CGI and was 'popped out' of everything around it.

https://screenrant.com/marvel-runaways-old-lace-dinosaur-effects/

Seems to be a puppet. But you're right, there might still be animation going on as well.

e: there's no spoilers in this article, but there are comics spoilers in some of the linked ones, so be careful!

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

It's a mix, you're right. They've talked about it in interviews.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They're using some of the same folks who did Jurassic World. The puppet requires six people to operate. And then when it attacks or moves quick they use CGI.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, there’s no way you do running out of the room with a puppet.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, there’s no way you do running out of the room with a puppet.

lmao they probably COULD, but then they'd have to CG out all the hydraulics, and marionette aircraft cable lifting it up from the ceiling, and the green suit guy making the tip of the tail bob ever so perfectly with a spindly stick, and then you have a very real dinosaur running through a cartoony lab and it looks even worse:eng99:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I caught the first three episodes and speaking as someone who considers the BKV run of Runaways one of the top five comics runs he's ever read, I really enjoyed it. Some really rough lines here and there, but most of the changes from the comic made sense or were justified, and the casting nailed it on who to get for the main six, especially Nico.

The one major change from the comics that I feel made for a flatter character was in how they didn't make Chase's dad physically abusive to him and didn't make him a shrimpy weak genius. It was an interesting subtext to Chase's backstory of how he's this well-meaning but kinda dumb physically strong dude who was still abused by his dad, and presented the really compelling and interesting argument about how abuse comes in a lot of different forms and even super tough and strong looking kids suffer it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They pay lip service to Mr. Stein being physically abusive, at least. Chase says the only reason his dad hasn't laid a hand on him in some time is due to how jacked he is now.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

esperterra posted:

They pay lip service to Mr. Stein being physically abusive, at least. Chase says the only reason his dad hasn't laid a hand on him in some time is due to how jacked he is now.

Yeah I saw that. Still, I remember reading Runaways for the first time and seeing that panel of that nebbish nerdy dude beating the poo poo out of his super buff son and was impressed by both the iconography and the underlying statement made.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I totally get what you mean. Just must have misread your post, thought you meant Chase wasn't physically abused at all in this version.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
To be fair, they have a lot of time to fill. That scene could be coming. For whatever soap opera teen drama faults these writers may have, I don't think they'd shy away from physical parental abuse unless they were specifically told they couldn't.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first issue is like BAM! the rents are evil. Before you get to figure out who's who.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am kind of curious about how long this is going to be getting to the, you know, running away part.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

I am kind of curious about how long this is going to be getting to the, you know, running away part.

And when is this guy showing up?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

And when is this guy showing up?

Freddie Mercury?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rocksicles posted:

Freddie Mercury?

Close, and almost as awesome.

Also So they totally sacrificed Amy Minarou right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So there was also a line about how they messed up Karolina's dad with that serum. I guess that might mean he was also part of the Pride at one point.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Either that, or he accidentally heard/saw too much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Seems like it. But there’s more to it, like it wasn’t the plan or wasn’t voluntary.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Either that or she died after learning the secret. It doesn't seem like the plan is for the people they sacrifice to ever be seen again, so the body on the beach and that they buried Amy suggests that they weren't sacrificed as intended.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 26, 2017

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I don't believe you need to spoiler tag speculation.

I thought of that too, but I don't think it's very likely that she was sacrificed. Despite everything; the Pride are generally shown to care for their children. Maybe Amy stumbled on to what was going on the way the kids did; and one of the more brutal members of the Pride (Tina, Victor) decided the only way to deal with it was to make sure she couldn't talk? Something less premeditated seems more likely to me. That's really just spitballing, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Tina's behavior to me suggest that she carries a ton of guilt towards Amy's death, which suggests it wasn't an accident or something else. Like Molly's parents, they basically indicated that they died at the hands of another member of the Pride.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

twistedmentat posted:

not until at least the fifth episode apparently

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Amy and Karolina’s dad being tied together seems really cliche, but I kind of wonder. Like, he was involved in some horrible thing that led to her death, but they still needed his celebrity to promote the Church, so they couldn’t just “take the Chevy to the levy.”

Wipe his mind, revoke his Pride membership. Good to go. In theory. Until he starts poking around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Tina's behavior to me suggest that she carries a ton of guilt towards Amy's death, which suggests it wasn't an accident or something else. Like Molly's parents, they basically indicated that they died at the hands of another member of the Pride.

Well, it also seems like the machines they used for this sacrifice are new. Victor was still working on it (and didn't finish as we found out.)

So another possibility is whatever they used before was less... secure? Amy could have ended up being an accidental sacrifice.

Anyway episode 4 is called Fifteen, which is the age they all (except Molly) were when Amy died so maybe we'll get some answers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Well, it also seems like the machines they used for this sacrifice are new. Victor was still working on it (and didn't finish as we found out.)

So another possibility is whatever they used before was less... secure? Amy could have ended up being an accidental sacrifice.

Anyway episode 4 is called Fifteen, which is the age they all (except Molly) were when Amy died so maybe we'll get some answers.

That's kinda what I was thinking, the older method required or accidentally had Amy as the sacrifice. Prompting Victor to invent the box.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is not an ad but if you want to read entire series free, Marvel Unlimited is having a 1 month free promotion

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

It gives you access to pretty much every comic marvel has ever done. Would reading the series spoil the show?

holy loving shirtballs i'm gonna get trapped in a vortex of reading through the entire New Mutants in one month

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

New episode is up.

That is, uh, quite the gross origin for Karolina if it's what's very strongly implied there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Marvel Unlimited doesn't have ANY of the New Universe comics! What the fuuuuuuck

Also doesn't have Dakota North

I'm suspecting that "pretty much every comic Marvel has ever done" is a lie!

oh well at least it does have all the new mutants

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

precision posted:

holy loving shirtballs i'm gonna get trapped in a vortex of reading through the entire New Mutants in one month

Nothing wrong with that. I read at least half of it while waiting to get my passport.

When do we get more episodes?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The fourth episode has been up for like 12 hours guys

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oops. Guess I'm watching after work.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Karolina origin speculation:

So it's pretty safe to say after this episode that flaky guy is her biological father, right?

I'm guessing that the Gibborim and the Deans' alien race from the comics have been amalgamated for the purposes of adaptation, and that Flaky is a Gibborim/Majesdanian and had similar powers before whatever events led to his current, decrepit state.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 1, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really liked the fourth episode. Feels like poo poo's slowly escalating in a way I can get behind.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Arist posted:

Really liked the fourth episode. Feels like poo poo's slowly escalating in a way I can get behind.

The crescendo of this episode was great, as they all 'armed up' and the pieces started to fall into place regarding their parents.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Everyone in the coffee shop raising their hands when asked if anyone owned a silver Prius was a good goddamn gag.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Barry Convex posted:

Karolina origin speculation:

So it's pretty safe to say after this episode that flaky guy is her biological father, right?

I'm guessing that the Gibborim and the Deans' alien race from the comics have been amalgamated for the purposes of adaptation, and that Flaky is a Gibborim/Majesdanian and had similar powers before whatever events led to his current, decrepit state.

Flaky guy can't not be her maternal grandfather. It's the only explanation for why they keep mentioning and referencing a dude we've ostensibly never met

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think the Flake Guy is probably not human, like straight up alien.

Man gently caress that bitch who blamed Karolina for wrecking the loving Lacross team. They should sacrifice her.

I would not be surprised Tina killed Amy because she found out about what's going on.

• Locked thread