Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oasx posted:

At first i thought they were finally going full evil with the parents by having them be ok with one of their own being sacrificed, but then it just fizzled out.
It just feels like the show is in a holding pattern, because they have to kill time untill the season finale, the pacing just feels strange.

Also, i must have missed it but why exactly is Victor Stein so important?

I think it's because he's the only one who can build the boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know, it's like if Daredevil only beat up criminals in the first episode and the rest of the show he did lawyer stuff, and all his conflict was due to that or his blindless. He talked about fighting crime but it was never done.

Gotham is a bad example because it was never about Batman showing up, it was about Gordon's journey.

I figured this episode would of been a good time for the kids to stand up to their parents. I mean why else bring the dinosaur? Also I just really hate Jonah and his role in the show. a huge amount of wonder and mystery in the show stopped as soon as he appeared.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inkspot posted:

. This is more like if Nip/Tuck had a merman on staff that nobody called out as a six foot dude with scales and webbed feet.

Later seasons of Nip/Tuck, that wouldn't be completely out of character for the show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Medullah posted:

Later seasons of Nip/Tuck, that wouldn't be completely out of character for the show.

I was about to say ... lol

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I miss Nip/Tuck.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inkspot posted:

Running away or not, they need to do something.

Molly has powers. Karolina has powers. Gert has a dinosaur. Nico has access to a “magic” staff. Chase has working fistigons. Alex is clearly up to some sneaky poo poo. But the season’s almost over and the kids are no more realized than they were in the pilot.

I know nothing about the comic books other than that the kids run away but at this point in the TV Show I would not be surprised if the parents were the actual runaways and they're running the gently caress away from Jonah in the season finale. Every time the show goes back to the kids I'm like nooo go back to the parents they're way more interesting.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like them downplaying the more comic book elements has been hurting the show, they set a bunch of stuff up, but its barely in it in, with Old Lace being the biggest example of this, but also the kids not actually running away. The show feels like its treading the water just to have more parent drama and less of a focus on the kids.

I did like Dean and Tina about to go at with, where Dean is taking off her earrings.

Also what the hell is with the super creepy downshirt shot of Karolina? It's long and lingers in a way that it could not have been just the way the thing was framed. Even though she's supposed to be like 17, the actor is in her 20s.

I can totally buy Molly not knowing what a vhs tape was. Despite someones head canon, no one had vhs tapes in general use in the late 2000s save old people and weirdos who clung to the format. It not at all unrealistic that Molly would have no idea what the hell one was.

Shaddap, she 22.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
New episode is mostly good and has some key developments that should have happened earlier in the season, but man, there are some unfortunate echoes of Defenders here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Eww, there's no Iron Fist is there?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Eww, there's no Iron Fist is there?

There's metal fists, hopefully that's close enough.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Boy the amount of references to the comic were really like slaps in the face at the things we aren't going to get:

"Let's call ourselves the Runaways...for all the kids that ran away." "Nah."
"Hey Chase, you want to take the Leapfrog, you know your team's awesome unique vehicle?" "Nah, I'll take a Lyft*."
"Where did you go today, Molly?" "I went to check out the Tar Pits, you know where our team hides out in the comics."

The ending was good but so many eyerolling moments leading up to that, it's like they remembered they're teen drama writers and needed to add in a bunch of sex stuff and a high school dance. FML, these were the wrong people to be the showrunners. Also some last ditch sympathy plays for *most* of the parents by making them be blackmailed into service.

* I didn't actually know this was the spelling of it, I just guessed because I figured they'd want to be edgy and not spell it normally and guess who won the pony?

edit: Speaking of Defenders it would make as much sense for them to just tie in with the Defenders and be like 'Oh Jonah is another branch of the Hand and there's another dragon buried here that he's trying to dig up so he can live forever.'

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

Boy the amount of references to the comic were really like slaps in the face at the things we aren't going to get:

"Let's call ourselves the Runaways...for all the kids that ran away." "Nah."
"Hey Chase, you want to take the Leapfrog, you know your team's awesome unique vehicle?" "Nah, I'll take a Lyft*."
"Where did you go today, Molly?" "I went to check out the Tar Pits, you know where our team hides out in the comics."

The ending was good but so many eyerolling moments leading up to that, it's like they remembered they're teen drama writers and needed to add in a bunch of sex stuff and a high school dance. FML, these were the wrong people to be the showrunners. Also some last ditch sympathy plays for *most* of the parents by making them be blackmailed into service.

* I didn't actually know this was the spelling of it, I just guessed because I figured they'd want to be edgy and not spell it normally and guess who won the pony?

edit: Speaking of Defenders it would make as much sense for them to just tie in with the Defenders and be like 'Oh Jonah is another branch of the Hand and there's another dragon buried here that he's trying to dig up so he can live forever.'

Leaving the Raptor in the car pissed me off.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

PaybackJack posted:

The ending was good but so many eyerolling moments leading up to that, it's like they remembered they're teen drama writers and needed to add in a bunch of sex stuff and a high school dance. FML, these were the wrong people to be the showrunners.

I understand your other complaints, but if teen drama and will-they-won't-they sex stuff bothers you, that really isn't the show's fault.

It *is* a teen drama. Appealing to a ~15yo demographic who hates their parents and wants to gently caress their crush at the dance is absolutely what they should be doing. That's who this is aimed at. If you wanted sushi, you shouldn't have gone to a pizza place.

(Why Alex wanted to call them "The Runaways" was dumb as poo poo, though, I agree.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait that was the season finale??? I was gonna say it was an okay episode but drat not as a finale

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, there's one next week.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

precision posted:

Wait that was the season finale??? I was gonna say it was an okay episode but drat not as a finale

Next week is the finale.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I see it's finally been so long since the establishment of the MCU that they've actually forgotten that Stark solved the world's energy problems in Iron Man 1. A renewable energy source isn't a great cover for a universe that has arc reactors.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

tbf, big plot point of iron man 1 is literally that tony feels his efficient arc reactor tech is too dangerous to unleash, or something, so the world at large only knew of his gimmick inefficient big one

source: iron man 1 was on tv the other day

maybe this changed in iron man 2 but i forgot

I’m just pointing out because I see people post ‘tony already solved energy forever, those marvel dumbos!’ but afaik only like the Avengers and maybe SHIELD have that stuff

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

LeafyOrb posted:

I see it's finally been so long since the establishment of the MCU that they've actually forgotten that Stark solved the world's energy problems in Iron Man 1. A renewable energy source isn't a great cover for a universe that has arc reactors.

I don't think runaways is actually in the MCU. It's in its own little bubble, which is for the best to be honest.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc the pilot originally had them running away, but ABC execs said don't do that immediately. So I wouldn't put the blame entirely on Schwartz/Savage. Though the decision to stretch it out an entire season was likely theirs.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rocksicles posted:

Leaving the Raptor in the car pissed me off.

To be fair, the raptor couldn't exactly help shut off the machine, and their cover as normal kids wouldn't hold up if anyone saw that they had a living dinosaur with them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

To be fair, the raptor couldn't exactly help shut off the machine, and their cover as normal kids wouldn't hold up if anyone saw that they had a living dinosaur with them.

Dinosaur photoshoot. It's a story that sells itself.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i've often thought the show is too slow, and i still think that it could have been handled more efficiently, but drat if the showdown at the end didn't deliver on all the buildup. still could've been done like halfway into the season, but it was fun to explore the characters of the parents this much.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

LeafyOrb posted:

Tony sets up the prototype for Stark Tower in Avengers. The only other person he lets use an arc reactor is Rhodey. Vulture tries to steal a bunch in Spider-Man.

So no, that technology isn't in the hands of anyone but Tony and his best friend right now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I watched 1-8 as a big lump and then had to wait a week for 9 so the pacing to me hasn't felt as off I think. It all works pretty well when linked together.

I wonder if the show will come onto the TV here in the UK? So far it feels like it can't be getting many viewers since this thread is so very slow. I'll admit I'm only watching it because my girlfriend loves the comics, I'd never heard of them until now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PaybackJack posted:

This felt like a episode that was 80% padding.
This entire series is at least 80% padding.

Oasx posted:

Also, i must have missed it but why exactly is Victor Stein so important?
Why are any of them? What are they trying to do? There is absolutely no way any of this makes any sense when (if) we find out what it's all been about.

Elentor posted:

Every time the show goes back to the kids I'm like nooo go back to the parents they're way more interesting.
It's like they wanted to make it be about the parents but were contractually obliged to focus on the kids instead.

PaybackJack posted:

Not having read the comics (and not knowing how much they're planning on changing anyway) that is actually my guess for what's happening. As soon as I saw the giant hole in the ground I wondered if there was another dragon down there.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I don't think runaways is actually in the MCU. It's in its own little bubble, which is for the best to be honest.
I think it's the same as all the others - it's in the same world, but ignoring any implications of that that would get in the way of the story. Because they really like the idea of having all their stories connect with each other, but they really hate actually dealing with the consequences of that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tiggum posted:

Why are any of them? What are they trying to do? There is absolutely no way any of this makes any sense when (if) we find out what it's all been about.

Jonah has promised them something incredible and they're all trying to work towards what that is/was.
I dunno, I don't feel like their motivation is badly explained at all.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I'm fully expecting this 'showdown' to be cut short by the opening credits. Probably by the staff knocking them all out?

Then, they'll talk to a sympathetic parent who'll let them go and will sacrifice themselves.

I started really liking this show, but 'Runaways' really doesn't fit with the Teen High Melodrama they manufacture. I suppose we all want things to kick off.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Pretty much.

I understand, and am still on board with, a lot of the deviations from the comic. Giving the remaining parents more development. The kids trying to keep the facade up while they investigate. All good. Benefit of the doubt.

But after Alex’s “Let’s call ourselves The Runaways!” and yet another episode where 3/4ths of it could have easily been cut, I realized I’m actually hatewatching this now. Which is a shame, because the talent is there. The production value is there. Genetically engineered dinosaurs and flying cars aside, all the pieces for a great adaptation are accounted for. But because there’s so little else to latch onto, and my expectations have been so thoroughly lowered, I spend more time wondering why Stein’s company isn’t Lidenbrock instead of Nemo if Journey to the Center of the Earth is supposed to be so thematically relevant than I do what Jonah’s deal is.

Karolina seems to have given up trying to figure out why she has powers. Same with Molly. And Nico, whose mom told her the staff only works for them, never asked why. Or what it is. Or what it’s for. Like she doesn’t care. And if none of the characters can be bothered to care about what’s happening to them, why should I?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think a loooooot of yall are still not getting that this is a teen drama first and a superhero show very distantly second

and i think that's fine, i like it

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

precision posted:

i think a loooooot of yall are still not getting that this is a teen drama first and a superhero show very distantly second

and i think that's fine, i like it

Yeah I came in to this expecting a teen drama with a superhero backdrop and I have gotten exactly what I came in for.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That's all well and good for you guys, but some of us came here because Runaways was one of the best comics printed during the early 2000s and seeing the characters and story that made it great get shoved aside and watered down for the mainstream Gossip Girl audience is depressing and frustrating.

There are some good changes but this just feels like another situation where the people behind the scenes didn't really want to make a show that captured what the genre and source material were really about and instead decided to just do their own thing. It's obviously not as bad a situation as the last Fantastic Four movie turned out to be, since at least in this instance is seems like the producers/studio are happy with the direction the showrunners are taking it. Clearly though the direction is focused on telling bog standard teen drama tropes and not on anything that actually makes the show unique and interesting which is the supernatural superhero aspect of it.

There's a whole channel called the CW full of teen drama shows that have interesting premises that they never go into because it's easier to write stories about character having wildly shifting emotions and hormones; maybe in the future they can avoid using acclaimed niche comic books as a foundation to sell the same mediocre drama that they peddle in every show on the CW.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Comic spoilerly stuff:

Is it weird that Chase's dad is named Victor? Did the parents have names in the comics? Is his new form going to be that of a teenage robot?
The "he" who knows from the dead sister's text message is totally Alex, right?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They would have to come up with new poo poo to properly adapt the source, anyway. The first arc alone is like a movie and some change worth of content. Then from the second arc onward there would need to be a decent amount of alteration to cut out characters tied to the MCU/other studios etc, and is also very short. Then they would need to pretend Joss Whedon's arc never happened ... then do their own thing.

I'm happier, I think, with them doing their own thing from the go and tying in some stuff from the first arcs. And I'm pretty happy they got my fave trashy teen showrunners to do it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

precision posted:

The Flash is a teen drama first and super hero show second. Things loving happen in the Flash. It's not a great show, but it's not this bad. Because nothing happens in this show. Riverdale is all teen drama and nothing else, and it's great, because things actually happen in Riverdale. Nothing happens in this show. This is a show about nothing ever happening.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What do you mean "nothing happens" in this show? We're still in season 1 and Gert has already hooked up with McHandsome. The relationships between the kids and between the adults is getting explored and explained and... I dunno what to tell you, of all the things to complain about, I would put "slow pace" very low on the list. But maybe that's just me :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mentioned about how the show feels afraid to embrace the comics fully, and another goon mentioned that it fells almost like a show from an earlier time, and I realize, its Smallville. yea there's comic stuff, but the main focus is interpersonal drama.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Just curious, are there people who haven't read the comics who feel that nothing is happening?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

precision posted:

What do you mean "nothing happens" in this show? We're still in season 1 and Gert has already hooked up with McHandsome.
What do you mean "already"? It took the whole season! It was clearly going to happen right from episode one and there were absolutely no developments for the next eight episodes. They should have got together, broken up, and got back together by now!

GigaPeon posted:

Just curious, are there people who haven't read the comics who feel that nothing is happening?
Yes. I haven't read the comics and haven't looked anything up, so everything I know about it comes from the show or this thread. I have no idea what's been copied from the comics or what's potentially going to happen later on, other than that in the comic they actually did run away and the parents weren't major characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GigaPeon posted:

I just read the comics precisely because I was feeling nothing was happening. Like, I enjoyed the premise of the show and I rarely read comics of shows I'm watching, but seeing all these interesting concepts going nowhere for almost 10 episodes made me go read the comics and I don't regret it. To me the pace of the show is glacial.

• Locked thread