Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's definitely better binge watched than watched one episode a week. As someone who watched 1-8 all together and has only had to wait for 9 and 10 the pacing has felt absolutely fine.

I totally agree about the lack of questions though. Why wouldn't you say to your mum "So why does this only work for us? And where's it from??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Didn't Tina explain to Nico during the brief training or w/e a handful of episodes back, it's designed to respond to only her DNA then she pulls a 'we're more alike than you think, Nico!!' and tell her it's super special tech.

I'm about that many episodes behind, so if she's had opportunities to ask more about the staff and hasn't or w/e I guess that's weird, but Tina already explained why it only works for them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

esperterra posted:

Didn't Tina explain to Nico during the brief training or w/e a handful of episodes back, it's designed to respond to only her DNA then she pulls a 'we're more alike than you think, Nico!!' and tell her it's super special tech.

I'm about that many episodes behind, so if she's had opportunities to ask more about the staff and hasn't or w/e I guess that's weird, but Tina already explained why it only works for them.
That's not really an explanation though. It's just reframing the question. Why does it only work for them? Because it's coded to their DNA. OK, but that just raises more questions. Why is it coded to their DNA? How does that work? Who made it and how? How did she get it?

And even if she hasn't had any on-screen opportunities to ask these questions, she's had plenty of off-screen opportunities. It's her own mother. They live in the same house.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Also, and here’s the big one, what is it for?

Ironically, if it were magic, you could handwave a lot of that away. “We’re from a line of witches stretching back millennia.” And then you have both magic and potentially more villains out there.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Them cutting magic is still my biggest (and only real one so far, we'll see after I catch up) gripe about the show.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tiggum posted:

That's not really an explanation though. It's just reframing the question. Why does it only work for them? Because it's coded to their DNA. OK, but that just raises more questions. Why is it coded to their DNA? How does that work? Who made it and how? How did she get it?

And even if she hasn't had any on-screen opportunities to ask these questions, she's had plenty of off-screen opportunities. It's her own mother. They live in the same house.

It seems like it's basically just a biometric lock, but with a blood sample. And Tina's probably the one who made it, since she has a high-tech company she calls Wizard.

The main problem I have is the explanation given for how it works is totally nonsensical. Something something neural pathways explains how it knows what the user wants, but it doesn't explain how it actually does anything.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

when the marvel cinematic universe was first created, it was made with an implicit promise, an unspoken possibility, and after all these years, we made it. this show may be highly dubious, questionably written, with uncertain direction and some dodgy performances, but in the year of our lord, 20gayteen, we finally got to see karolina dean kiss nico minoru on tv.

also lmao their parents dug a big hole and they dropped a big truck in it, idk

anyway, that is my analysis of Marvel’s Runaways, Season 1, Episode 09, ‘Doomsday.’

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ambivalent posted:

we finally got to see karolina dean kiss nico minoru on tv.

I've been waiting for this since I was like fifteen. I need to catch up asap!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

esperterra posted:

I've been waiting for this since I was like fifteen. I need to catch up asap!!

Why? It wasn't anything special!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked Nico wans't all "ew gross" or reacted otherwise bothered by it. I feel like even 2 years ago, that would have been an accepted and expected reaction to a same sex kiss.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Taear posted:

Why? It wasn't anything special!

When I was fifteen it was!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I liked Nico wans't all "ew gross" or reacted otherwise bothered by it. I feel like even 2 years ago, that would have been an accepted and expected reaction to a same sex kiss.

I feel like if one of them didn't feel that way about the other, that'd be a fine reaction too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh hey, 13 episode second season

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like if one of them didn't feel that way about the other, that'd be a fine reaction too.

That would be in line with the comics, too. Any feelings Nico may have for Karolina only really develop later, and was always less romantic and more 'I miss my best friend', anyway. Even if 15yo me preferred to read into subtext!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

That would be in line with the comics, too. Any feelings Nico may have for Karolina only really develop later, and was always less romantic and more 'I miss my best friend', anyway. Even if 15yo me preferred to read into subtext!

Speaking of subtext, has anyone been getting the sense that Greg Sulkin doesn't know the difference between playing "nascent admiration for distant father figure" and "I want to gently caress that man"?

That man is a bad actor.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeaaahh he's a weak link. Alex's actor is also terrible.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The season finale was mostly good but still ultimately feels like where the show should have been five or six episodes in, what with the lack of answers on Jonah’s origins and what’s in the hole, and little more than some teases of the mole reveal from the comics.

Still, with the alien/Gibborim elements yet to be properly revealed, the parents split into Leslie/Wilder/Jonah factions, and the kids finally having run away, there’s a lot of story potential for S2. I just hope Schwartz and Savage get the pacing right next time.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

The season finale was mostly good but still ultimately feels like where the show should have been five or six episodes in, what with the lack of answers on Jonah’s origins and what’s in the hole, and little more than some teases of the mole reveal from the comics.

Still, with the alien/Gibborim elements yet to be properly revealed, the parents split into Leslie/Wilder/Jonah factions, and the kids finally having run away, there’s a lot of story potential for S2. I just hope Schwartz and Savage get the pacing right next time.

You've seen the finale? I don't see it up anywhere yet.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm enjoying the show. But, like, at this point in the comics we've already established a secret base, picked superhero names, abandoned those names because they sounded stupid, and watched a vampire explode.

I do like when the costumers replicate stuff directly from the comics. Spoilers if you haven't seen the ep and want to be surprised by a shirt of all things.

His facial expressions sometimes seemed a tad off to me, but Adrain Alphona is super good at designing outfits.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

You've seen the finale? I don't see it up anywhere yet.

Nevermind, I'm on it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really dig the pace the show went at. I think they spun their wheels a bit, sure, but in general I am all for expanding the timeline and fleshing out the parents. Next season with the kids on the run and the parents forming their own alliances/etc should be interesting!

Also aww yeah Nicolina

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

I enjoyed the "Survivor" scene with the Parents and thought it was a good payoff for the character development that went into them so far. Too bad Jonah changed his mind for no reason about 4 times during the scene, though. He seemed more like the episode director's passenger than anything else.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Nameless Pete posted:

I'm enjoying the show. But, like, at this point in the comics we've already established a secret base, picked superhero names, abandoned those names because they sounded stupid, and watched a vampire explode.

I do like when the costumers replicate stuff directly from the comics. Spoilers if you haven't seen the ep and want to be surprised by a shirt of all things.

His facial expressions sometimes seemed a tad off to me, but Adrain Alphona is super good at designing outfits.

I was really happy to see some of the comic outfits to pop up in this episode but overall my opinion on this show has been a resounding meh. It doesn't help that I think every actor in the show is better than Alex's actor and I can't see how they're going to make him into the leader of the group at this point. I also like Julian McMahon, but I wish shows would cast him as something else other than "threatening white guy that looks good in a suit." It feels like that's all he plays.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vanderdeath posted:

I was really happy to see some of the comic outfits to pop up in this episode but overall my opinion on this show has been a resounding meh. It doesn't help that I think every actor in the show is better than Alex's actor and I can't see how they're going to make him into the leader of the group at this point. I also like Julian McMahon, but I wish shows would cast him as something else other than "threatening white guy that looks good in a suit." It feels like that's all he plays.

It's not his fault, he's a born scum bag, his dad SIR Billy Mcmahon was prime minster of Australia, mate.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah this whole first season just seems like that they wanted to stretch the material out and had to promise the parents they'd be in all the episodes.

We also didn't see who actually killed Amy, which is annoying.

Hopefully they learn from this and are able to move with a quicker pace next season.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah this whole first season just seems like that they wanted to stretch the material out and had to promise the parents they'd be in all the episodes.

We also didn't see who actually killed Amy, which is annoying.

Hopefully they learn from this and are able to move with a quicker pace next season.

Uhh (finale spoilers) didn't they explicitly say Jonah killed Amy?

I really like what they did with the parents, especially Gerts and Chase's dad, but man I just didn't buy into the kids at all. I still think they should have gone with a younger actress for Molly, she just seems too old for the "innocent kid with powers" in the group.

And maybe it's just because I'm a 90s holdover, but Nico looked a little more clown than goth.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Now that they've run I can see it picking up, but I wouldn't expect to see the Pride out of the picture til season's end at the earliest.

The original draft for the pilot had them running away at the end of the episode, but ABC said hold off. I wonder if holding off all season was a network mandate or if Schwartz and Savage enjoyed having more time with the parents so much they stretched it out themselves. I was cool with it either way, though it dragged a little in the middle. Wish they had done more with Jonah but I expect more answers about him next year.

He better be a fuckin' alien. And whatever is underground better be comic Gibborim!!

e: i appreciated how ratchet Nico's eyeshadow and mug was at times. in general I think all the girls had makeup that looked like a teen woulda done it rather than a full makeup team.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 10, 2018

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Marvel's Runaways: Should've kept the vampires.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Medullah posted:

Uhh (finale spoilers) didn't they explicitly say Jonah killed Amy?

Maybe. I guess I'm just confused because he got a text from an unknown person saying "Mission Accomplished. Let me know what's next." and I assumed that was him getting it from whoever killed Amy.

If not, then that's a whole different mystery text.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe. I guess I'm just confused because he got a text from an unknown person saying "Mission Accomplished. Let me know what's next." and I assumed that was him getting it from whoever killed Amy.

If not, then that's a whole different mystery text.

That was him getting it right after Karo escaped, I believe. To cast doubt on either one of the parents or potentially kids for next season.

e: i just watched it today before going to work. he gets the text well before leslie tells tina the truth about amy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

esperterra posted:

That was him getting it right after Karo escaped, I believe. To cast doubt on either one of the parents or potentially kids for next season.

e: i just watched it today before going to work. he gets the text well before leslie tells tina the truth about amy

Yeah but it was all hazy around the screen which I thought implies flashback.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah but it was all hazy around the screen which I thought implies flashback.

Ah, good point. Maybe an indication of his deteriorating health? But could have been a flashback as well. Either way I think it exists to cast doubt on one of the parents.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I’m pretty sure that text ties into the big twist in the comic.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man, I hope so.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
good finale but lmao @ walking around with a rug over the dinosaur on sunset boulevard

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

no more group fight scenes for this show. just cutaway to the aftermath every time, it's fine.

also niko is the worst disguise artist of all time, all she had to do was take off her make up and wear some generic poo poo

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

double negative posted:

no more group fight scenes for this show. just cutaway to the aftermath every time, it's fine.

also niko is the worst disguise artist of all time, all she had to do was take off her make up and wear some generic poo poo

Karolina stands out like smoking hot thumb, probably everywhere but LA though

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

precision posted:

good finale but lmao @ walking around with a rug over the dinosaur on sunset boulevard

That was my favorite moment in the show so far. I wish we had an entire show that was the tone they managed to strike in that moment. Maybe season 2 will deliver now that they've actually run away.

Pug Rodeo posted:

I’m pretty sure that text ties into the big twist in the comic.

Comic spoiler: That text probably means there's a mole, but it's someone else. Everyone who's read the comics probably saw Alex sneaking off to make a mysterious phone call to an unknown party and thought "oh drat, it's happening!" But then he turned out to be contacting Darius to get a gun and some cash, in exchange for promising to help take down his dad.

Also I looked up Alex on a Marvel wiki and apparently he was resurrected a few years ago, and now he's fighting Power Man and Iron Fist as a crime lord in Harlem and attempting to become "the grandmaster of Street Magic"? Which is weird. As an "adult" supervillain Alex strikes me as more of a "Master Planner" type.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, unless I hear that next season is much faster-paced, I won't be watching it. It took them ten episodes to get through about three episodes worth of story. Honestly, it could have been done in one episode, because of how much of it was redundant or went nowhere. I really liked the first two episodes though. And we still don't know what the bad guy wants, why the parents were going along with this plan that they seem to have known absolutely nothing about, or what the point of any of it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
My God, they did it. They finally did it.

They finally... ran away.

Also, maybe if Jonah stopped getting into sparklefights, he wouldn't have to eat so many runaways.

• Locked thread