Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I caught the first three episodes and speaking as someone who considers the BKV run of Runaways one of the top five comics runs he's ever read, I really enjoyed it. Some really rough lines here and there, but most of the changes from the comic made sense or were justified, and the casting nailed it on who to get for the main six, especially Nico.

The one major change from the comics that I feel made for a flatter character was in how they didn't make Chase's dad physically abusive to him and didn't make him a shrimpy weak genius. It was an interesting subtext to Chase's backstory of how he's this well-meaning but kinda dumb physically strong dude who was still abused by his dad, and presented the really compelling and interesting argument about how abuse comes in a lot of different forms and even super tough and strong looking kids suffer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

esperterra posted:

They pay lip service to Mr. Stein being physically abusive, at least. Chase says the only reason his dad hasn't laid a hand on him in some time is due to how jacked he is now.

Yeah I saw that. Still, I remember reading Runaways for the first time and seeing that panel of that nebbish nerdy dude beating the poo poo out of his super buff son and was impressed by both the iconography and the underlying statement made.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Barry Convex posted:

Karolina origin speculation:

So it's pretty safe to say after this episode that flaky guy is her biological father, right?

I'm guessing that the Gibborim and the Deans' alien race from the comics have been amalgamated for the purposes of adaptation, and that Flaky is a Gibborim/Majesdanian and had similar powers before whatever events led to his current, decrepit state.

Flaky guy can't not be her maternal grandfather. It's the only explanation for why they keep mentioning and referencing a dude we've ostensibly never met

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Implementing The Big Twist from the comics would be super lame for the current incarnation, casting, and writing of the character whom The Big Twist happens to, and also everyone would be seeing it from a mile away. I really hope they play it straight. The Secondary Big Twist (which nobody is wondering about if they're doing) would, I think, actually tonally work much better and doesn't really gently caress up the dynamics of the Runaways moving forward as badly as The Big Twist can and does, considering how much more they've already deepened that character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Barry Convex posted:

Remind me what the secondary one is again

Gert is killed

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Inkspot posted:

That would be a legitimate shock considering it happens about 20 issues later.

Wait really? I thought that happened in the same arc the first twist happens.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gillen's YA is so loving good

Also after this episode I really don't think there's any way The Twist happens, it's just too out of character for the person who it happens to at this point.

But yeah I'm getting sorta tired of the show not letting the Runaways...run...away yet. It's become a thing of just waiting for the other shoe to drop at this point. I thought the initial moving away from doing the running away was for (good) worldbuilding and scene-setting, but now that I feel like I know all the characters more or less as well as I could have there's nothing really keeping the teens from running away, and it feels like the show is dragging its feet about doing so.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 6, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It was incredibly badly blocked but was meant to impress how a teen getting superpowers would react with wonderment and awkwardness over,say an adult being more fearful/confident. Which it did.

But boy was it badly blocked

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Again, though, it was MEANT to come off as awkward and people sort of freaking out over how super cool suddenly having/using superpowers is, the failure was in how it was terribly blocked and the flow made no coherent sense. It should've started with all the runaways partially whiffing all their attempts and getting lost in the moment of how cool it was that they were having and using their powers so Darius got away, instead of...this weird cascading thing that was incoherent within the cinematic language of the scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I feel like this show is slowly falling apart from how steadfast the show refuses to let the main cast run away. Like, end of episode 7 was the perfect time to do so, and it didn't, and it feels like the show is in free fall from sort of ginning up reasons to not let the teens run away despite it making logical sense for them to do so.

• Locked thread